Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-27-2007, 08:00 PM   #1  

Default Exercise for weight loss and Endurance

(I posted in this forum because it has a better chance of being read.)

Hello,
I need suggestions on the best way to accomodate my diet to help me lose weight and then increase my endurance. I currently weight just under 260lbs. I have been following the atkins, with cheating by eating more veggies and little bit of whole grains for fiber and just lost 10 lbs in a short period without exercise. But I am so busy right now due to college and so many things in life that it seems that everytime I get a routine something gets in the way. Also I have an irrational fear of walking and running in public because I am fat.(weird eh?) so what would be a simple effective way to help me lose weight and regain my confidence so that I can start participating instead of always being on the bleechers of life.

and while im asking for suggestions...Does anyone have any suggestions of a fun and effective exercise. part of the reason I fall too is because its impossible to find an exercise that really fun to me.
Thankyou for all you responses.
bilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Do you have a DVD player? You could try Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone. A great workout without ever leaving your living room.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #3  
Constantly Tweaking

S/C/G: 172/159/130

Height: 5'2" (give or take)

Yup, DVDs are a great place to start and you can do them on your own time schedule in the privacy of your own home. Check out www.collagevideos.com. They have just about everything you could want in variety and reviews by the staff and customers. Also, if you pick up some dumbells and start a strength training routine, it really helps you lose fat vs. muscle. May take a bit to start seeing results but you'll feel them long before! And drink that water. Good luck!

Jo
Is that really me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Instead of doing a "power walking" thing, what about just lengthening the distance that you're walking around campus. You're doing that anyway, right? So try parking farther away (or get off the transit a few stops away), take a walk during breaks between classes.

I like to exercise at home, so I can do it at whatever hours. If you have the budget (though I realize you are obviously a student), I have found my elliptical trainer to be a great investment. Videos/DVD's are great, but you may have to try a few before you find some that you really like.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #5  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

I agree with everyone about the DVDs! I usually get mine at the local library or trade with friends. eBay and collagevideo are also great sources!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

You should try CURVE too...

I also have the same problem with exercising in front of people I know... I don't do the campus gym and go to a regular gym and foudn that most people are concerned more about what they are doing then looking at others
Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM   #7  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

I second something like Curves. The one I go to is Slime & Tone and I love it. I used to be (still am) very self conscious about exercising in front of people I know, or in front of very fit people, or even in front of guys! So I avoid the campus gym and even stopped going to the YMCA because I was just too self conscious. At Slim & Tone (which is essentially just like Curves), I feel much more comfortble because it's all women, and women of all sizes and shapes. The people there are so encouraging and friendly that it's hard not to get motivated!
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have found that endurance is very activity specific. What would you like to have endurance at doing? Walking? Then you do more walking. Running? Then you do more running. Hiking? Then you do more hiking. Our muscles can become really good at doing something if we practice at it.

My instance is that I used to do cardio machines and cardio exercises, I thought I was wonderwoman until I went on my first real hike. It kicked my butt. Slowly, I started doing longer and harder hikes and they became easier. Someone else recently posted here that they could do the elliptical fine but when they went walking, they couldn't go as far or as long as they thought.

No one is going to laugh at you for trying to get fit but I understand if you are a little self concious. If you are interested in running, I would suggest looking up the couch to 5k program. You could also just do spurts of faster walking intermixed with your normal walking.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Not sure Curves would work - if I recall correctly from another thread, I think Bilster is a guy!
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 350

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
No one is going to laugh at you for trying to get fit but I understand if you are a little self concious.
I am sorry to sound negative here, but yes, people will laugh at you if you are very overweight. I think that you just have to ignore them - what do they know?

Although DVDs (Walk Away the Pounds is GREAT!) are a very good choice. Its what I do. I understand not wanting to go out and walk around.
MelPerimeter is offline   Reply With Quote