Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 AM   #1  

Default I need some advice.

I need some advice. My name is Devon. I'm very new here, but I've read a lot of success stories, and even though I choosed to lose weight on my own, they've been a big encouragement to say the least. I won't be around to post very often pretty soon.

I'm going to Job Corp, because I've been very depressed, my momma died a year ago, I just turned 20 in January, and my life is going nowhere fast. I just can't be this person that I am anymore. And I know that Job Corp will help me succeed in life, give me the push that I so desperately need to acheive.

I'm going to be gone for quite some time, and while doing research I found that they have a full gym where you can go anytime you're not in classes. I feel that being there for so long, and having access to a free gym would give me the motivation to actually use it.

Being in a new enviroment where I'm around new people, and new things, I feel that I can start on a healthier way of life and not be tempted by old demons that I have now.

I may be using this getaway as a push, but it's only a stepping stone to accomplish bigger things that I know I'm capable of.

I've read plenty of stories here where people have lost A LOT of weight, in a very respectable and decent time. Even faster than I thought possible and was able to keep it off.

So, I was wondering if losing 150-160 lbs in a 15 month maybe longer time period was reasonable? I've seen people on here lose a lot more in a faster time period, and while I know people lose weight at a different pace, I know that I can do it if I can just put my mind to it.

I'm scared to start while I'm still here, so I thought I would get a fresh start when I'm there. I just really need to get in the mindset, and support would be very well appreciated.

Also, even though I may eat a lot, I do eat a lot of the SAME things. I'm a very picky eater so some solutions to that problem would be nice for when I come back and try to maintain the weight.

I was reading and not only do they have healthy picks to the menus there, if there's nothing that looks good they have a salad bar, and I'll try my best to pick the healthiest foods and eat smaller portions.

I know, I'm rambling, lolol, sorry. I just don't get a lot of support in person.
Starburst1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:03 AM   #2  

Instead of worrying about how much you want to lose, what about just "starting over". Think of it this way, you are going to be with people who have never met you, don't know your background, etc. Be who you always wanted to be -- if you want to be the athletic friend, who eats right, etc. -- go to the gym every time you get the chance, meet some others there at the gym that you have something in common with, hang out, enjoy yourself, reinvent who you are -- that sounds fun to me, not worrying about how much you lose. You won't be able to help but lose weight in Jobcorp right, so let it work itself out. This experience is for "you" -- make yourself a better person, inside and out!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:22 AM   #3  

Thank you! That's exactly what I want to do. I just want to enjoy myself and have a good time. But I don't want my weight loss to get away from me. But you're totally right, if I go there with that mind set, it can't help but happen anyway.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #4  

Welcome to 3FC, Devon.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:34 AM   #5  

Thank you so much, Maria. There's so much support on this board. I love it.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 AM   #6  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Devon,

I agree, don't worry so much about the weight, live your life, be active, try to eat healthy food and the weight should take care of itself. That's very cool by the way about the Job Corp!

Just as note, "they" usually say that anything from half a pound to two pounds a week is considered "healthy", depending on a number of factors. When we first start, especially if we have a lot to lose, it comes off faster. The less you have to lose the slower it becomes. Just remember what ever you do, make it something you can maintain as a lifestyle. Doing something for a period of time and then stopping is a sure way for the weight to come back.

Good luck and have fun!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Devon,

Your move to Job Corps sounds great! If I was your age, I'd be doing that too! Congratulations! And it's true that you can take advantage of this opportunity to change--just stay mindful and aware, and focused on your goals! It will be a challenge--a good one--that's why life is an ADVENTURE and not just a ride at Disneyland.

You could lose that much weight--especially at first--but use it as a goal and not as a reason for disappointment. In other words, if you want to lose 10 pounds a month and you only lose 7, gosh, don't feel bad about it!

I wish you the best! Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Devon, I'm sorry to hear you lost your mom.

Good for you for making a new start! I think you're right to focus on your weight and your health as part of your future. I think you are right to worry about it and by that I mean you should be actively focusing on your weight loss. Not beating yourself up about your weight but tracking your progress and figuring out what works and what does not. I'm wondering why the wait? How about getting outside and starting with some short walks, and just cutting back on some of the things you're supposedly going to immediately stop forever the day you move. Life doesnt really work that way. You'll still have temptations at Job Corp. and you might still want to avoid getting active if you've done so in the past. Be prepared for that is all I'm suggesting.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #9  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

New starts are a great way to start new habits (trust me!).

Start on the first day, that`s my main advice. Start as soon as you get there, not once you`re settled in. "Settling in" can take one day or three weeks, and by that time you are still on your old routines.

Second, don`t worry about how much weight you will lose and how fast you will lose it. Focus on changing your habits first. GOOD LUCK!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #10  

Karen, thank you so much for the kind words of inspiration. And you're right, and I don't plan to stop. I'm hoping and believing in myself that I can do this for a lifetime.

Jay, I'm really excited but nervous about the move to Job Corp. It's a scary transition, I'm not used to change, but I actually went through with the interview and am just waiting to here my arrival date, and I'll be ready to go. It'll be sometime in April, I know that for sure.

You're right. I am going to focus to losing that much as a goal, but losing any amount of weight would be superb in my book. I've never been little my entire life. And I know the way I am right now isn't healthy for me.

Claudia, it's strange, I actually thought about trying to get myself in that way of thinking ...so instead of reaching for pop, or something sweet to drink today, I opted for water. I hate water. It was a nice change, and hopefully something I can stick to.

I don't mind walking and do it anyway. So, maybe I'll strengthen up on it so I can prepare myself for the gym when I get there.

Thank you, I miss my mom everyday.

Archy, that was my plan in the first place! Hehe, nice to know we're thinking alike. The first day I get there, I'm going to be eating light, and excersizing more. And hopefully just have a good time getting my life back in general. I'm too young to be sitting in the house all the time, depressed.

I am very proud of all of ya'lls successes, and hope they continue on.

Thank you for all of your advice, and support! I've never really had much support, except my mom, and something tells me that this time will be different.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205.5/158.50/132

Height: 5'7"

Devon ~ this sounds so exciting. What courage too you must have to pick yourself up by the bootstraps after going through so much. And you know I hate the taste of water too. I like to use these Crystal Lite (sugar free) drink mixes. They are made for the water bottle. You just rip and pour and shake and drink! I drink way more water now. And yes...I'd start with some basic changes now because there will always be tomarrow. Be the person you want to be today. I'm evolving. I couldn't just wake up one day and say ok..i'm no longer going to be this depressed housewife...wanting to hide from the world. I just would cry and sleep and well...must've been eating there too...But I started with the diet. And now I'm going to work on the exercise part. haha! I did a little here and there but it's not routine for me yet. So I'll see what I can do in that department.

Congrats on this wonderful move. And are you going to have access to the computer there? This is a GREAT motivator. I love reading posts and replying and it just gives me strength. And reminds me every day what my intentions are.

Tina
onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #12  

Tina, I've tried those Crystal Lite drink mixes, and I have to say they were pretty yummie. It seems to me that your diet is going well, and that was the first step for you, so I'm sure you'll be able to bring yourself to excersizing more.

I was told that they have a computer lab in the dorms, so I will be checking in frequently, just in case I need motivation. I'm so overwhelmed with everyone being so supportive of everyone. It's very nice, and I can benefit well from it all! The success stories are encouraging as well. I'm so excited about this, and it's the first time I could actually say that.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM   #13  
Determined

Oh, I am so sorry about your mom. I can't even imagine how hard this must be for you. I admire the strength it takes to assess your life, find that it's not enough, and change it. The fact that you can do that at such a young age I think means a lot. Again, I'm so, so sorry about your Mom, and good luck with weight loss, Job Corp and life.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #14  

My mom was my best friend, and nothing I could say could convey how much I miss her. There's just not enough words in the english dictionary to express that.

But she believed in me more than anyone. And I know that changing my life around would make her proud.

Thank you, I'm actually really excited about going to Job Corp! It'll be a nice change of pace.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #15  

You have been through a lot and are about to undergo a lot more change. Good for you for having a sense of excitement about this new chapter in your life.

I agree with the others ... setting up numerical/time goals can often work against you. After a lifetime of obesity, one major attitude adjustment I needed to help me succeed was to not worry about how much I lost or how quickly. I focused on the healthy behaviors, and reminded myself (sometimes hourly!) that I couldn't care how long it took, or even if I got to that end goal. I didn't even [i]have[i] an "end goal" to start with. I just wanted to be thiner, heathier, and wasn't going to sabotage myself by worrying about the scale or the calendar. You'll notice I don't have one of those little weight tickers in my signature, for example. I know they help some people, but for me that kind of tracking is just pressure I don't need. I don't pay attention to how much / how fast other people have lost, either. It's not a contest, it's not a race. Think of it this way: If you are truly starting a healthy new lifestyle, then you will be following that lifestyle for the rest of your life, regardless of when you get to the weight you want to be. Losing a lot of weight is a huge change -- not only in the new habits but in the new body you have. It takes a long time for your mind to catch up in a lot of respects; the way you interact with the world and the way it interacts with you can be radically different, and sometimes that brings with it unexpected emotions. In this regard, the more slowly you lose the weight, the better. The more time you have to gradually adjust, I believe the longer-lasting the effects and the healthier you will be in mind as well as body.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote