Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2007, 10:03 AM   #1  

Default What do you do for motivation?

I am toying with the idea of making some drastic changes somehow and I don't want to have any regrets. I am probably one of the most conservative people you'll ever meet...you're going to want to remember that as you read on. I have fallen into a trap over the last 6 years of just not taking care of myself and now with more time on my hands (kids in school etc), I am trying to change that. The biggest problem that I have is motivation or should I say lack thereof. So what motivates you? I'm not going to lop off my hair or anything but I have considered piercing my belly button and doing a little tanning, possibly a visit to Victoria Seciret just to improve how I see myself in hopes that it will jumpstart the weightloss process for me. Has anyone else done things like this and did you have any regrets?

Laura
knoxvillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Simple, I am "Frugal". I don't want to invest any new clothes for my newly overweight body. Instead, I am going the other way around, lose weight to fit into my old clothes.

OK, kidding aside, what really put me on the path of weight loss is that all the 170 pounds on my 5'4" frame was just too much for me to carry. My knees hurt all the time, I was out of breath when walking up the stairs, I have irregular heat beat plus I have a family history of diabetes & high cholesterol. So, you see, the strong desire to live healthier is what really motivates me.
NWGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 167/167/125

Height: 5'0

i see a hypnotherapist to build my self esteem- it works. i give myself whatever i want- i deserve it. i read this site becuase there are thousands of people to identify with you and stories to motivate you- that is one of the most important things. i think about how much time i have wasted in my life sabatoging myself, and then move forward. if i have a bad day, i don't let it snowball. you are beautiful, and wonderful and deserving. you desderve to shine. you need to hear that from you more importantly than anyone else so make sure you say it to yourself till you are sick of hearing it.

Good Luck!
HotDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #4  

I am not anti-motivation but it doesn't work for me. Sure, I have had spurts of inspiration, motivation from this-and-that but they all go away. It comes down to recognizing that despite no motivation, no inspiration, nothing external to make me do it....I just HAVE to lose weight. I just HAVE to say no. I just HAVE to not eat those potato chips. Bummer, isn't it? I suppose you can take a picture of yourself looking awful and fat, put it on the frig and you can't change it until you are 10 pounds less, etc. That helps.
Texaspoet
(Still trying to learn how to post! Sorry it is here twice!)
texaspoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:51 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvillemom View Post
I am toying with the idea of making some drastic changes somehow and I don't want to have any regrets. I am probably one of the most conservative people you'll ever meet...you're going to want to remember that as you read on. I have fallen into a trap over the last 6 years of just not taking care of myself and now with more time on my hands (kids in school etc), I am trying to change that. The biggest problem that I have is motivation or should I say lack thereof. So what motivates you? I'm not going to lop off my hair or anything but I have considered piercing my belly button and doing a little tanning, possibly a visit to Victoria Seciret just to improve how I see myself in hopes that it will jumpstart the weightloss process for me. Has anyone else done things like this and did you have any regrets?

Laura
I am not anti-motivation but it doesn't work for me. Sure, I have had spurts of inspiration, motivation from this-and-that but they all go away. It comes down to recognizing that despite no motivation, no inspiration, nothing external to make me do it....I just HAVE to lose weight. I just HAVE to say no. I just HAVE to not eat those potato chips. Bummer, isn't it? I suppose you can take a picture of yourself looking awful and fat, put it on the frig and you can't change it until you are 10 pounds less, etc. That helps.
Texaspoet
(Still trying to learn how to post! Sorry it is here twice!)
texaspoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #6  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I picture myself at my goal and know that I will get there.

I also take photos of myself in the bathingsuit I plan on wearing at the end of my goal weight. I have a pair of jeans that used to fit hanging up in my room as well.

I think it depends on what your goal is but paying attention to your body I find helps to motivate me.. when things start to get looser I am happier. I too am frugal so I refuse to buy bigger clothes. Probalby not the best idea but as my close start to actually fit rather than fighting to get them on, that's motivating!

You can do it!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM   #7  
Smoochie's Girl

S/C/G: 262/170/140

Height: 5'8"

You might want to try this-I went out a bought several beautiful size 10 outfits. They are currently hanging in my closet with a clear dry cleaner bag over them. Every morning I look at them hanging there and it motivates me throughout the day. Now, I have a substantial investment and that would really tee me off if I didn't get into them. Like I tell my step daughter-"You gotta get mad and just DO IT!"
Janny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 159/149/139

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the jeans thing. I have a pair in my closet and occassionally I try them on. Moving from barely being able to fit them over my hips to zipping them up to HOPEFULLY watching them get looser is motivating.

Plus, I love to run and in dropping 12 lbs so far, I've dropped about 1:00 min off my per mile time. (I think the stopping smoking helped to).

I'm currently going to school for cytotechnology in San Antonio. We've spent the last several months on NON-GYN cancers. Needless to say, I see the ravages unhealthy living can bestow on the body EVERYDAY. I'm only 28 and I'm trying to give my body a leg up now in my twenties to I can live my entire life healthy.

Granted ... when I turn a healthy 90 years old ... I have given myself permission to eat whatever the **** I want, smoke, and drink my last couple years away.
Perspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #9  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
Granted ... when I turn a healthy 90 years old ... I have given myself permission to eat whatever the **** I want, smoke, and drink my last couple years away.
Awesome... Can I join you on the front porch rockers as we toke up, drink margaritas and eat creme brulee?
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #10  

Default 90?

Can we make it 85? While I hope to be alive at 90, I'm scared I won't know where I am. ar ar

Laura
knoxvillemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
I'm a huge fan of this idea. When I go the gym, there's always this man who looks like he's easily in his ninties and I can't help but think that he shouldn't be at the gym lifting weights, he should be somewhere eating cake. He's earned it. By 90 I think we've all earned it.
Trendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 PM   #12  
Ready for a better life!

Default Motivation!

My primary motivation is the desire to feel better and be healthier. But, I need a little something zingier too. I love to plan. So with my hubby's blessing I am planning two short vacations for NEXT summer. We are going to the NASCAR race at Talledega then down to Pensacola for a few days of April R&R, just the two of us. Then in June my sis and I are going to someplace with white sands for some sister time on the beach. I may never be able to wear a bikini again, but I can look darn good in some shorts maybe?! The funny thing is I think my hubby is hoping this will keep me motivated--he's going to pay for the trips! Lisa
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #13  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Laura!

Welcome!

I think there's a tendency to think DRASTIC CHANGE when we begin our weight loos journey. We are SICK and TIRED of being this weight, and we want all the pounds off...NOW!!! I totally get where you are coming from! WE want motivation to change ourselves so that we will become the person we want to be.

I guess my thinking is AVOID drastic change if you are as conservative as you say you are, AND EVEN IF YOU AREN'T ALL THAT CONSERVATIVE! Drastic changes are difficult to continue in the long run, and they CAN set you up for failure.

Instead, think of small things that you can do right now to start the ball rolling. For starters, you are just a few pounds away from ONEderland! (ONEderland is a wonderful place where the first number of your weight is a ONE and not a TWO or a THREE.) Start by aiming for that.

Drink more water, eat more fiber, visit Fitday www.Fitday.com to track your calories and exercise. Fitday is free and is responsible for helping me lose ten pounds in a month. Keep a journal of your progress. Write down all the things that you are proud of about your progress.

You can do this! Reward yourself AFTER you have met a mini-goal with the belly piercing or a tanning package. I'm all for non-food rewards! My reward for losing 75 pounds was I just bought HipHopAbs, an exercise DVD set! I bought Turbo Jam after I lost my first fifty pounds. Rewards spur you on to even greater progress because you value the effort you have put in to receive them from yourself!

Good Luck!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:07 AM   #14  
Aww, look at the bunny!

S/C/G: 200/174/162

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendle View Post
I'm a huge fan of this idea. When I go the gym, there's always this man who looks like he's easily in his ninties and I can't help but think that he shouldn't be at the gym lifting weights, he should be somewhere eating cake. He's earned it. By 90 I think we've all earned it.
My understanding is that when you get to be in your nineties, lifting weights is about the best way to preserve your mobility...eating cake is fabulous, but so is being able to walk up a flight of stairs. (And there's no reason to believe he doesn't go home to a big slice of cake when he gets done at the gym...I know I would!)
twistedhoneydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #15  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

When I sit down or do a sit up, my upper tire and lower tire kiss. I´m going to break them up, there`s too much love in my belly.

That´s my current motivation.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote