Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

Unhappy OH my Goodness, how fat am I

OK, SO I've been trying to lose weight and all, but it would probobly be more true that I'm just telling everyone I'm trying to lose weight because it sounds good. Yes I have been trying to eat healthyer, but I just havn't found my motivation.
Ok for some reason I just didn't see how far I've let my self go - I have a mear I do my hair every morning. I know what size clothing I wear (22) I know I way 250#. But for some stuped reason I didn't see how fat I had actually gotten until last night. My sister gave me a bunch of pictures that she had taken of my daughter. Mixed in there were two she had taken of me. typically I take pictures so there just aren't any out there (or not to many out there) with me in them.
Anyway there I was sitting on a bench next to my mother. I love my mother dearly but she has always had weight problems - again I think she is pretty but I NEVERwanted to be as heavy as she is. And there I was
[B]I Look Fatter Than MY MOM
Send my some help, I need to loose this weight. I don't want to be a fat mommy anymore - I finally came to the realization all those people I look at in the grocery store and say oh they look worse than I do - THEY DON"T. I need to be serious

What helped you get started? WHat kind of exercise did you do?
EviesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #2  

For me, it was the pictures that I couldn't bear; also the X size clothing I had to buy. I started off very slowly- exercising 3 times a week and building up to 5 times. I did 1/2 hour of cardio and about an hour of weight exercises. Looking back on that, that was too much for one session, but as I increased the frequency, I got a little more efficient with my workouts. I found full body compound exercises gave the best results, and I still do some split sessions and some full body. For cardio, I started with walking, and built the intensity up over the years.

Calories: I tried to cut out the empty calories first, and to replace them with more healthy choices. Gradually I brought the total calories down to a more manageable level. I think I'm at a good place now.

It took 2 years to lose 42 pounds, because I slipped more than once. The trick is to pick yourself up and go forward. I am still not at my goal weight, and am struggling with the last few points of body fat.

I think the secret is that it must be a lifestyle change, and that means it must be done slowly so that the changes become substantial. The problem with pushing yourself to lose weight quickly is that you burn out and revert back to your old ways.

Set yourselft weekly goals that you can meet- 'this week, I will walk on the treadmill 3 times for 40 minutes' 'this week, I will have an apple/orange/whatever instead of that cheesecake' Before you know it, you will have changed yourself.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 10:56 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Northern Belle made some great points!

For me, small changes were the way to go too. I started just by bringing lunch and snacks to the office and watching portions.

Exercising 40 min 3x/week would have been waaaay too much for me at the beginning -- more like 15 min 3x/week!

If you're overwhelmed find some things you can change. Making a commitment to that change is important as well. For me, just paying attention to EVERYTHING I ate was a big eye opener, and it all built from there.

Northern Belle made another good point when she said that it's a lifestyle change and if you fall off, you can pick yourself up again! That's how success sticks!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
What helped you get started? WHat kind of exercise did you do?
What got me started was that my long-term boyfriend and I broke up, which threw me completely out of my comfort zone. I'm doing a weightloss plan of my own making, which consists of cutting out processed foods, intuitive eating (see the thread in the General Diet Plans category), a little bit of Volumetrics, and lots of exercise.

I'm not a person who naturally likes to exercise, so I joined Curves because they advertise that they help keep you motivated. I have been very happy with them. There are about 9,000 around the U.S., so there is probably one near you. I work out there 3-4 times per week. I also walk 10 miles a week.

I started out a little bigger than you (size 24) and now I am down to a size 18 in only a little over 2 months, so don't be discouraged. If you are committed, the weight will come off.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #5  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My poor health was my most motivating factor to begin my new lifestyle. I also hated seeing pictures of me at my heaviest. I didn't think I was as fat as I truly was. I started in a size 20. I started seeing a new Dr. that jumped all over me about my weight. He made me cry. His little "come to Jesus" meeting with me made me very determined to take this weight off. As time went on, the new clothes and compliments kept me motivated. I am at goal now and maintaining. I don't ever want to go back to where I was. My health is better and I look better too. I didn't make small changes, I changed everything at once and it worked for me. My Dr. couldn't be happier for me and I couldn't be prouder of my own accomplishment. yes, he got my butt in gear, but I'm the one that kept it there. Good luck and know that you can do it too. I started with only being able to walk 10 min's at a time, now I can do an hour.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #6  

What helped to get me started was that I felt as though I was missing my life! Sometimes you need to hit bottom before you can climb up, and you're biggest regret will be having not tried. Fitness wise, do what is fun for you, that you'll stick with, and makes you break a sweat.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/165/140

Height: 5'6"

Let me first say that if everytime you look at yourself you say omg im fat you are gonna get really depressed and that will not help you lose weight. Well it may but only because you may end up not eating at all. So everytime that thought comes to mind tell yourself i am beutiful and stop there.
If you are like me and make excuses for exerciseing then you should join a place like curves. I joined a place in my town that runs things like curves and its only a 30 min work out unless you wanna stay longer but everyday they changed how it goes so you have a diff workout everyday. I had to go cause it was giving me time to myself and others to talk to besides my young kids hehe. i would say if you are tempted by foods then remove all bad foods from your home. all sugary foods *ie.. ice cream, snack cakes, cookies..* Make sure you have crackers *or other heather snacks if i had crackers i didnt need to eat many they were filling* If you have to plan your meals the night before. When making your plate of food do not fill it and say ill stop when im full cause you probaby wont just put a small amout of each thing on it and eat that *if you are full then STOP* if you finish with your plate and still think you are hungry drink a big glass of water and wait 10 mins. if you are still hungry then get a small amount more you may have to gradually work down from what you are used to. make sure you have high fiber cereals or foods for breakfast *most important meal of the day* and if you have salad for lunch maybe throw and egg on it you will get some added protien. If You have a sweet tooth get fruit and lots of it.*fresh is the better choice* I used to have low will power* but now i have very little soda a week maybe one glass if that. *about 20oz to 30oz a month instead of two to three cans a day* i dont by candy bars now. If i have to have something chocolate or really sweet and i cant sub it with lowfat or something cause i have a specific craving i eat only part of it and save it or *even better no temptation later* share it. I just cut out most of my sugar *sweets and pop* and that helped me alot i started my weight loss very end of may and im down 35lbs. I uped my water intake alot if i just dont want water that day *and i dont have bottled water i will take a 20 or 32 oz glass fill it and just drink it down. If i have a bottle *16.9 or 20 depending* i get those travel packs from crystal light* no calories in them and they flavor your water. i drink more water this way. i can drink about 100oz of water in 12 hrs if i mix in that stuff so i alternate it** If the weather is nice out grab your kid*s* and go for a walk. If you just cant get into anyother exercise atleast walk. Talk yourself into some situps or something a few times a week and after a couple weeks you will just start doing it. I recomend counting your calories til you get better at judging portions and such. I use fitday.com to log what i eat each day and track my calories and weightloss goals. i just had my son last year in feb and was stuck at 208 since feb of 05. and now am down to 174. so it can be done and you can do it. i now find i will look at lables of foods and if they are high in calories i put them back. a can of ravioli is high in calories and that is just for about half the can. if you eat the whole can you are in for a hurt with them calories. i think about 400 or so cals for the can. ouch. make yourself a nice salad and load it with veggies and grilled chicken or tuna and such. another suggestion is grill , bake, or broil your food do not fry it. Avoid anything fried if you can. ANYWAYs ill stop there and i hope i helped you out. good luck and be kind to yourself and you can and will do it if you are willing to put in the work it takes. Good luck you you.
misty
Chatterbox1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/290/175

Height: 5'10"

THankyou guys soooooooooo much. I appreciate all of your words of encouragment and your advice!!
I've had a miserable day to day - kind of a last horah so to speek I ate fast food for lunch, and have been basically lazy all day - (I work part time so I'm home with my 1 yr old a lot). However I did go to the grocery store and plan out a healthier menu for next week, and I'm going to try to do 3 30 minutes exercise sessions. Wish me luck - we shall see what happens

Misty thankyou so much for all the wonderfull advice - I had my daughter July of "05 and have been stuck at the 250ish pretty much since than. It's wonderfull to hear about your success!

Last edited by EviesMommy; 09-08-2006 at 03:23 PM.
EviesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #9  
Better than staples.

S/C/G: 176/126/116

Height: 5'4''

You know what always works? I put out a dinner for myself and cut the entire dinner in half, push one half to the side and eat the other half. Then I have a little break for a few minutes. If I decide I'm still hungry, I eat the other half.

Most times I'm satisfied. A big part is not eating until YOU'RE FULL-- eat until you're NOT HUNGRY ANYMORE!

Try it and see!
paperclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #10  
Proud Twinmom

S/C/G: 250.5/223.5/147

Height: 5'8

Hey there Evie. I had that type of moment some time back too. Like you, I did my hair in the mirror and had no idea until I went to a department store fitting room where they have FULL LENGTHS MIRRORS! Oh my goodness, the horror! I could not believe how much weight I had put on. Given, I gave birth to twins, but still I just couldn't believe it.

Anyways, I wanted to let you know that at times, you get those "A-ha" or "OMG" moments and if you can, use those for motivation. I dunno though, just one day, it all seemed to click for me. One day I decided, I shouldn't be drinking all of that pop, so I stopped cold turkey. That same day I decided I shouldn't be eating all of that fast food and I stopped that. I just know that I don't want my daughters to be eating that way and so I need to stop now. I see that you have a little one and that may be a source of motivation for you as well. There are so many things that I want to improve and it's because of my daughters. Try to find your seat of motivation and it will help you to succeed. Also, see if you can find a support system. Family, a support group here? Find your niche and that will help you. I am soo there with you with the frustration of the extra weight. I am confident that I will reach my goal and when you find your motivation, you will too. Hang in there!

Elycia
u2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 183/182/160

Height: 5'6"

Chatter box, this is an old topic, but how is curves working for you? Im your height, and 184 right now, and would feel comfortable loosing 20pds. My cousin wants me to join curves, but I am feeling like that isnt enough..when does it start to come off?
badmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #12  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Eviesmom!

Welcome!

I noticed below your ticker that you have a second little one on the way! Congratulations! Be sure to eat nutritious foods, drink plenty of water, and walk as a great exercise that you can do for the whole pregnancy! You don't need to eat a TON of food, but you should be sure that every food or drink that goes in you will be something that a BABY should be eating! That may help motivate you to eat well.

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #13  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hah! The evil pictures! That's what pushed my buttons, for sure. My older sister lives in North Carolina (I'm in Masachusetts) and she came up last September for a visit. We spent a day walking on the beach, climbing the rocks, etc., at Newport, and her son, who came with her, was snapping pictures. She was going to send me a set of copies as soon as she got them developed (she doesn't do digital; she's old school). So, anyway, I'm waiting and waiting for these pictures, mention it to her every time we talk on the phone, and FINALLY (a couple of weeks ago) they arrive. I SWEAR I had NO IDEA that I looked like that! She's a little whisp of a thing, and I've always been taller and bigger than her, but in those pictures, we look like a whale and a sardine laying on the beach together. It literally made me sick to my stomach to look at them, and that's the TRUTH! That's when I made up my mind to do something about it. And I like all the "slow and steady" advice - I've always tried to do it quickly before, and end up gaining it all back. I'm so glad to have found this website (I don't watch Oprah; I work during the day, so I didn't know anything about it). Just typing this entry is a time when I'm not tempted to eat, and that's a PLUS! Have a great day, and stay determined! - Ella
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 252/205/150

My starting point was really awfull. I knew how fat I was and family and friends keep telling me how unhealthy it was. I guess it all just kept building up until one day I got an anxiety attack, I thought I was having a stroke, it was awfull, it happened two times and I decided I never wanted it to happen for real, so I went right up to a doc and started diet and walking 20 min daily. I´ve lost 20 kilos (around 40 lb) and walk 42 min now. I'm still way far from my goal but the anxiety is all gone and I'm really glad I did start with the weight loss, It has taken me some time and still need to do lots, but little by little you'll feel the difference
Vega Botain is offline   Reply With Quote