Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:43 PM   #1  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Default Has anyone read this diet book?

It's called The Skinny: How to Fit into Your Little Black Dress Forever. I just got it a couple of days ago, and I'm trying to apply it's principles. Basically, you're supposed to eat what hungry, stop when full, have veggies or fruit with every meal, and portion control. I would like to know if anyone here has tried it and if you had good results.
Thanks!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/178/130

I haven't read it, but it sounds like the Frenchwomen Don't Get Fat book.

Same prinicipals. To be honest, the advice from both is basic stuff that we really already do know. Eat high quality food instead of junk, and stop eating when you aren't hungry.
Katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like it's worth a try. Let us know if it works for you.

For myself, I really do have to know where I am with calories. "Portion control" is just too vague for me--I need specific values for every food.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #4  
Mel

I'm with Jayell- if portion control and "eat when you are hungry" had worked for me, I'd never have ended up here in the first place.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I'm with Jayell- if portion control and "eat when you are hungry" had worked for me, I'd never have ended up here in the first place.

Mel
LOL! Mel and Jay you're a trip! I would say this is definitely true when you're trying to lose weight and when you're first maintaining. Once you've lost and know what you're doing, and you're not going back to old habits but continuing your healthy lifestyle, such rigidity is not so necessary and general healthy living will probably be enough to stay at your goal. When losing its just easier to know what's going on so you can tweak as necessary.. i.e. know how many calories you're eating and burning so you can increase or decrease [calories and/or exercise] if you're not losing like you want. It really is as simple as that.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm 2 years into maintenance and still estimating calories daily - I have zero trust in my ability to manage my food intake without guidelines. Like I said in an earlier post, I can't listen to my body - it wants mint milanos, all the time.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #7  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Thanks for all the replies. So far I've been doing this for about 3 days. Yesterday I figured out how many calories my body had wanted, and it was about 1200. I was really surprised by that, since when I count calories I can barely be OK with 1500 or so. I think maybe it's working for me because I do a lot of mindless/emotional eating, so having to think "Am I really hungry?" Makes me stop that. Next week's weigh in will be about 1 week of eating according to the book, so I'll know how much difference it made then.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote