Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #1  
Hardworking Chick

S/C/G: 334/321.4/125

Height: 5'5"

Default This may be a bit personal, but ...

This may be a bit personal, but has anyone here experienced any constipation since starting the Southbeach diet? I'm in Phase II, and have been experiencing this unpleasantness off and on. I'm at a loss as to how it can happen. Right now, I go through about 2 bunches of celery a week, green beans by the pound and bunches of lettuce for salads. For lunch I have salads or a sandwhich on whole wheat bread with tons of lettuce. For dinner, I have a meat and veggies, plus a small salad, and some fruit. Daily snacks are celery or cucumbers with cheese (sticks or wedges), plus TONS of tomatoes. Once in a while I'll have a few nuts as a snack, but for the most part, I stick to cheese sticks with celery or cucumbers. I also drink 8 glasses (not cups) of water a day.

When you eat as many vegetables as I do, there shouldn't be any movement problems. I'm thinking of cutting back on my protein consumption a bit just to adjust the balance and see what happens. But this is way too weird. Any ideas? Sorry to bring up such a personal topic.
booklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

When I greatly increased fiber intake, it took my body awhile to get used to it. It was quite the adventure.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #3  
Starting over 3/24/2017

S/C/G: 329/ticker/140

Height: 5' 5"

I have heard this before....here is the advice I got once before....supplement your diet with psyllium. See below.

Psyllium is a bulking agent that promotes bowel regularity. It can be used regularly, as opposed to harsh stimulant laxatives which should only be used occasionally. It is helpful in chronic constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulosis, hiatus hernia and diabetes. Soluble fiber may even lower cholesterol 10% to 15% if enough is taken.

Follow your physician's instructions carefully. Take each dose with a full glass of water. For new users, start by taking a small amount and then gradually increase to the recommended dosage to allow your system to adjust and to minimize gas and bloating. Store in a tightly sealed container away from moisture. There are no known drug interactions with psyllium. Psyllium is no different than oatmeal or fruits which are always part of a healthy diet. These are all healthy soluble fiber. Signs of an allergic reaction are skin rash, hives and itching. Of course, a person should not take psyllium if there has been a previous reaction to oral or inhaled psyllium powder, stool softeners or bulking agents. Fiber should not be used if there is a suspicion of a chronic bowel obstruction unless discussed with the physician. It is also best to temporarily restrict fiber after abdominal surgery and when there is a flare-up of chronic bowel disorders such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.

Another thing I was told...make SURE you are getting enough water. Whatever your body weight is, drink half that number (in ounces) of water daily.
RitzyFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have never been on South Beach but I was on Atkins until just about 2 weeks ago. Now I'm counting calories. I had horrible problems with constipation. I ate salad and green veggies a lot. I simply couldn't get enough fiber. I ate almost no bread or wheat products. Even with a healthy water intake I was in misery. I seriously thought something was very wrong with me. I had taken just about every laxative type product or stool softener on the market. I think my large intake of cheese was creating some of the problem. Now that I have reintroduced a lot of whole wheat to my diet and fresh fruits (usually 3-4 a day) I am not having any more problem in this area. A woman needs 21-25 grams of fiber per day. Before, I was chewing 4 fiberchoice tabs a day (which yields total of 16Grms of fiber) and it didn't relieve my symptoms. The increase in foods with high fiber content is what worked.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Brown rice, and really any whole grain, helps that problem. As with any carbohydrate, you have to measure how much you eat to avoid overdoing the carbs. But even a little, like a half-cup serving, helps a lot. For some reason vegetables don't seem to have as much fiber along those lines as I would have thought.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

If you have recently drastically increased your fiber intake it can be as constipating as too little fiber. The body takes a while to adjust. Adding more fiber like psyllium will only make it worse if too much fiber is the problem

The body WILL adjust

But first make sure you are actually getting as much fiber as you think you are. With limited grains, fruits, nuts and beans, veggies might not have enough. Cucumbers are low. lettuce is low.

Plus cheese is highly constipating.

In the meantime some black coffee (regular or decaf) will help or tea with licorice or fennel can help.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #7  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

I've had success with apples and apple juice. I'd also highly recommend G.G.Bran Crispbread for fiber. The brancrisps are just 16 calories each and spread with some fat-free cream cheese, Laughing Cow cheese wedges, or topped with pretty much anything are really tasty.

I second the drinking of more water with fiber. I have read that the water allows the body to eliminate the fiber easier, and the fiber adheres to excess fats that we eat and takes them out of the body! Definitely a WIN-WIN situation!

My husband was on Atkins and had TERRIBLE trouble with constipation. Apples helped him as did pears.

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #8  
Token Vulcan

Grapes clean me out, sometimes in 1-2 hours, sometimes in a day. I don't even eat them with that purpose in mind, I just eat them occasionally cuz I like them but they do it to me every time.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #9  

I'm not on the SB diet, but I've always had a problem with staying regular. I was eating plenty of fiber, and taking several fiber suppliments a day. Two weeks ago I read in the newspaper that taking magnesium suppliements could help with being regular. I thought what the heck and gave it try. Worked like a charm. It's alot easier to just pop one magnesium pill rather than several fiber capsules. It's also cheaper. I'm glad I gave it a go (so to speak).
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #10  
Yvette

S/C/G: 161/137/125

I am on the SBD and I have the same problem. I have been on the Beach since October and have not been "regular" since. When I used to eat greasy foods, it seemed like constipation was never a problem. Now that I eat a LOT of veggies (I haven't introduced most of the carbs back in like I'm supposed to), I guess I'm not getting enough fiber. I'll have to try some of the suggestions listed above. Good luck!
Benjasmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Increasing fiber and water isn't going to do a lot of good unless you also cut back on constipating foods like cheese...so if you eat a lot of cheese on SBD like a lot of people do, then cut back some.

Also, in phase 2, eat some higher fiber, lower carb fruits such as a serving of berries.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #12  
Bikini Season :)

here is my suggestion - Yakima paste! (sounds terrible but bear with me)

its what we use in hospice for patients who have constipation and it is seriously AWESOME in promoting regularity NATURALLY.

4oz. Senna Tea
1lbs Prunes
1lbs pitted raisins
1lbs. figs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup lemon juice

to make it :

1.) make the senna tea using about 2 1/2 cups of boiled water added into the tea and then let it steep for about 5 minutes

2.) strain out the tea and add 2 cups of tea into a large pot, then put your fruit it.

3.) boil the tea and the fruit together for about 5 minutes.

4.) remove it from the heat and then add your sugar and lemon juice. mix it well and let it cool.

5.) get a hand mixer or food processor and blend it until it makes a really smooth paste (it looks like jam)

6.) put it in the freezer~! the paste wont freeze (Weird, i know) but it will keep forever in the freezer without spoiling...

then enjoy!

most patients put it on toast, crackers, some people just like to eat it, or you can put it in hot water and stir it up, make it into a drink.

it tastes just like the insides of fig newtons!

to take enough to make it work in a couple days and maintain regularity take about 1-2 tablespoons a day.... if it gives you loose stools you are taking too much and i've totally had people be fine with taking it every other day.

sorry tho, i dont have any idea what the caloric value is in it...
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Three words:

Milk

Of

Magnesia
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #14  

I had horrible constipation issues with Atkins and didn't want to rely on supplements for the rest of my life, so I knew that it was not a plan I could live with forever.
MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #15  
Am I a senior too?

S/C/G: 74/64.2/58

Height: 153cm

I've heard pear juice is good to keep you regular. But they also say that juices contain high amounts of natural sugar. No good if you are watching your carb intake. Perhaps eating the whole fruit would be just as beneficial.

I used to go infrequently until I started taking my iron tablets. (I am deficient & have been for years) Uncanny really as it says on the pack that taking iron sups may cause constipation. I find I go every day now rather than once a week. Strange but true. I guess my mother did always tell me I was destined to go against the norm. lol.

Cheers
Vonni
7senuf is offline   Reply With Quote