Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 PM   #1  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Dealing with missing meals....Help please?

I have encountered this problem a lot recently, and I don't know whether I need support or advice or just someone to convince me not to throw in the towel and give up.

I am a college student, and I have one professor in particular who LOVES to hold the class over, sometimes by an hour or more. Last week, instead of my class ending at 12:30, it was over at 3! 3! I had an orange and some water in my purse, so I didn't completely go without food, but still. I hadn't had lunch, and it was only 3 hours till dinner. I never know what to do. Do I make it home and eat a full meal like I would have at lunch and then eat dinner normally, or do I just suffice with a snack then dinner? My problem seems to be that lately, my calories are coming in way under where they should be, and I don't want my body to start lashing back at me for it.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I don't know if there is a definitive answer to this, but it would be nice to just get opinions on what you personally would do. Not knowing what to do makes me feel so...lost and hopeless that it's a struggle for me to even keep going with this.
Wildfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

One, complain to the dean. They are not allowed to do that. People have other classes, jobs, childcare - profs don't own you.

Two, start packing lunch. When the class runs over, pull out your lunch and eat it. During class (unless its a lab or something equally dangerous to mix with food).

Really, if he protests I would be bold enough to say. "The class has run over, and my blood sugar is low and I need to eat now." The blood sugar is true - your b/s will be on the low end for you. It also implies but doesn't make you go so far as to have to lie that there may be diabetes involved and nobody would want to get into the kind of lawsuit where they didn't let a diabetic eat on schedule.

But seriously, I would go to the dean.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

How on earth can a professor keep the class that late? Don't the students have other classes that they have to get to?

Anyway, in response to your question, I'd go home and eat whatever meal was scheduled regardless of the time of day. Say it's 3PM, you missed lunch, make your mind up if you want the missed lunch or the upcoming dinner and eat it. Then, when it is time for dinner, have a snack instead. If you were to hold off eating until dinner time, you'd be famished and would be more likely to overeat. While it isn't great to skip a meal, you did have an orange, so basically you're rearranging your meals with snacks.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Pack your lunch! If you get out on time, great, you have lunch ready for you when you get home. If you don't, lunch is ready for you right then and there.

And I agree - raise a stink if the crazy prof won't let you eat during class. And also raise a stink in general - how the heck has he been getting away with this?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #5  
Baby steps

We ARE allowed to eat in class, but it has to be hand-held food. I could make a pita or something, and see how well it keeps. The sad thing is that we DO have diabetic women in the class, and he has said on more than one occasion that "an extra 45 minutes won't kill you". Ugh, the nerve of that man.

Thanks for all your input guys. If things don't change soon, I'm going to go to the dean, and I think I have a few classmates who would go with me and support me. This is his first year as an adjunct professor with the college, and it's been this way since class started. We've never gotten out of class before 2, when 12:30 is supposed to be the latest we can go.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 243.5/243.5/140

Height: 5'5"

First off I don't want to know where you go to school....that is just terrible. And you really should complain....i do believe that holding class over that often to that extent is could possibly even be illegal. Technically you are provided with a schedule and a syllabus which details your time commitment and obligations. I just finished up 8 years of college between undergrad and grad school and have never heard of something so ridiculous as a class running 3 hours later than schedule. And not letting a diabetic eat....that is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. Technically if you have it in writing that the class is over at 12 then you can leave at 12 and he can't fail you for it. Sounds like this needs to be brought to the attention of the dean no questions asked.
Oh and bring food with you. lots of food is hand held food.
NESunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 PM   #7  
Tryin'

Height: 5'3

this man is abusing his power. i agree...you need to tell someone.
but i hear you on the lunch thing. i am moving around all the time and have nowhere to refridgerate food. i've had to be creative but it is do-able.
train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 PM   #8  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Wildfyre!

I am in the minority here by saying this, but how about just asking the professor what the class times are supposed to be? As an adjunct professor (part-time), he MAY not be in the loop for THAT institution and MAY just think it is OK to go with whatever he wants as far as the schedule! He may also be a person who loses track of the time for whatever reason. If things don't get straightened out THAT way, then a stop at the division dean is in order.

Going to the dean first will usually end with the dean asking if you first talked to the professor. Save yourself time and go to the horse first!

Of course make sure that you are kind and considerate of your professor. You don't want to get someone angry who will be giving you your semester grade!

Good Luck! Don't put this off! I have NEVER heard of anything like this! Don't let yourself be upset one more day!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #9  

Where did he got to school that he got the idea that that he could hold a class that long. I could see maybe on some rare occasion for something special. How bizzarre. He's not going to be an adjunct for long with behavior like that.

But to answer the question.. how about a protein bar of some sort? They can stay in your bag until you need them. Emergency rations
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sorry to say this, if any of you readers are professors, but sometimes adjuncts just don't care. They aren't getting paid very much. Last time I was in school, I had some real jerks. To be fair, I had some really good ones also.

Go ahead an complain to someone like the dept. head. Maybe they'll tell him not to do it.

As for food, I agree that you should take your lunch with you, and always have some kind of snack along as well. Also, having water along can help.

As for the question about whether to eat lunch and then dinner, I'd eat lunch--and then 3 hours later, I'd eat dinner if I felt hungry enough. The rule of thumb I follow is to leave a minimum of 2 hours between eating, whether it's a meal or a snack.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #11  
Baby steps

He knows the schedule. He has openly stated that he doesn't care what we say or who we complain to. Damn lawyers. Ugh, I can't stand the man.

My mom and I talked about it, and since the class isn't actually a requirement for the major, I'm going to just drop it. I don't have to put up with this crap, and I won't, not from a jerk who just wants to push his ego in everyone's face.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:47 PM   #12  

Height: 5'7"

Well, then if you don't have to worry about upsetting the prof, I'd make sure they knew WHY I was dropping the class. I agree with everyone else ... it's totally absurd that he can get away with it. It's one thing not to know, but if he has stated aloud that he doesn't care what you say or who you complain to, then it's fair game.

I'd take it as high as I could. He is just being a big ol' jerk, IMO, and that's unacceptable. Surely he answers to someone.
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #13  
Baby steps

He has been complained about before, namely on the first day when he told some guy, and I quote, "You're just wasting my time, everyone knows attorney's don't hire fat guys."

And the guy he had the audacity to say it to was an attorney. He's just out of control, and I'm going in the morning to meet with the head of my program, and then I have an appointment at 2 pm with the dean.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #14  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Please let us know how this all plays out! Sorry that a few bad ones ruin it for so many!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'd hold a meeting with the class and when 12:30 rolls around, those who have other classes should get up and start walking out, those who don't should all pull out a pre-packed lunch and start eating. If he has a problem with it, let HIM complain for a change. And the last I checked, 12:30 to 3:00 is NOT 45 minutes. And YES, for a diabetic, it CAN kill you. He should be made aware of possible lawsuits, both personal and to the school. Being a lawyer, he should already KNOW this.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote