Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #1  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Angry Please help me to stop eating!!!

I can't seem to stick with any plan longer than 24 hrs. I eat constantly, even when not hungry, regardless of what positive thoughts I think. I feel depressed because of my weight and the fact that DH and I have been unsuccessfully trying for a baby for almost 2 years.
Has anyone been here? Periodically I've lost about 10 lbs but I can never seem to break the 150 lb barrier.
All the holiday food isn't helping!
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Stop and take a deep breath.

Clear the house out of all unhealthy foods. You may want to wait until post holiday for this.

Look to exercise first before you revamp your diet. You need diet to lose weight, but exercise may help your depression which will give you the oomph you need to make a plan you can live with. I find that if I exercise, I feel less hungry, and less inclined to emotional eating and actually crave healthy foods.

Since you are trying to conceive, focus on a plan that calls for slow weight loss and focuses on healthy foods, not drastic calorie reduction.

Make small changes

"Today I am going to walk for 15 minutes" and thats the only change you commit too. etc. Dont try to change it all at once.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I had the exact same "can't stop eating" problem just a few months ago. I started analyzing the reason why and I realized that I didn't believe I could do it and even more, I dreaded doing it. I had yo-yo dieted for so many years that I just didn't think I could stick to another diet, and I loathed the thought of even trying. So I made a deal with myself--to stick to eating healthy foods (whole grains, healthy fats, low sugar, etc.), to eat what I considered to be small portions but what were actually "single" portions, to eat only 3 meals and a couple of snacks a day, to drink only water or green tea, and to take a multi-vitamin. The catch was I would make the deal only for today. No tomorrow. Plus, I wasn't ready to exercise, so no exercising. I knew I could stick to this deal with myself for one day, so that was the deal...just today. And incredibly, I've made that same deal with myself every morning since September. The only change to the deal now is that a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to try a little exercise in my day too, so I've added that. However, if I wake up tomorrow and I can't make the deal in any way, shape, or form, so be it, but I made the deal with myself today, and I know that I can make it through the rest of today. What's amazing is that it's gotten so easy to make the deal now. I don't have the cravings that I always had because I'm eating healthy. I don't dread the future, thinking I either "have" to stick to a torturous diet for weeks, months, or years or I'm a terrible failure. I don't even consider what I'm doing a "diet." I just changed the way I eat, one day at a time. Try it. It can work for you too. You can get through one day. Make a deal with yourself to eat right for one day. Good luck!!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-21-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 PM   #4  

I'm agreed with ennay on clearing the house of unhealthy food. Having unhealthy food about is almost like setting yourself up for failure!

I go through stages where I just eat and eat too. It doesn't work for everybody but I've found things like herbal tea and cup-a-soups really help. They keep your mouth busy and are reasonably low (VERY low if you opt for herbal tea) in calories. Plus, you have to wait for them to cool down too, which adds to the length it takes to consume them.
WaterBottleBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/125/125

Height: 5'4

Oh sister, I'm there with ya. Well, I was about 2 years ago. And the funny thing was that the moment I started focusing on my health is when we got pregnant. TTCing is a very hard thing to do, both mentally & physically. It was really hard for me to think about anything else, so after fertility meds we have a baby boy that will be a year in March, and it took us 5 years. Start being healthy and think about the habits you will want to instill in your future children. Not to mention, if you start being healthy your chances for conception improve....

PM me if you need to talk....
Cheercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #6  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Default Thanks

Wow, thanks so much for all of your kind words and encouragement. I can't express how much your words have helped me. Today I made myself promise to eat good "just for today" and guess what? I have done pretty good. My pants are still snug but I don't feel quite so overwhelmed. I think that I'm just not going to worry about it until the holidays are over, and then I'm going to start fresh.
Somehow I have to figure out how to achieve balance in my focus on TTC and my health. I know they go together; the difficult part is making them fit! At least for me, I'm an all-or-nothing, focus on one thing at a time type.
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote