Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 151

Height: 5'4

Default Bugs in your Gut study

Did anyone else see this. I tried to search on this forum but didnt see any reference. I thought this was a very interesting study. Basically scientist have found that obese people have less of a certian bacteria called Bacteroidetes and more of a bacteria called Firmicutes than thin people which may cause them to be more prone to being fat. This makes so much sense to me because I struggle and watch what i eat all the time and my skinny friends dont excercise and only occasionally watch what they eat. We always say it is genes or metabolism but maybe this is the answer. Here is a quote:

"The lab found that while the gnotobiotic mice were able to feast on rodent chow and remain thin, their genetically identical counterparts with bacteria in their guts ate 29 percent less and had 42 percent more body fat. The bacteria made the mice fat."
Here is the link to the article http://www.boston.com/news/globe/hea...besity/?page=1
madiwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Oh, it's been in the news and discussed here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101115
but what it doesn't say is how the body gets the bacteria which supposedly help with weight loss or how to decrease the bacteria that seem to cause weight gain. The above thread was started by a person who purportedly was taking the bacteria in some sort of supplement, however IMO there is no way that this could be happening. How do researchers suddenly discover this link and the next day have a person who is taking the supplement? If I were you, I'd stick with the age-old eat less and move more and don't try to blame weight stagnation on something that is out of your control.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #3  

Hey thanks for the link to others already discussing this. I tried to search but missed this thread. I will post there. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #4  

It always amazes me that scientists are doing these studies. I heard of a study in the UK that claimed obese people were obese because of a cold virus they contacted in the womb! Oye!

I can appreciate the studies, but the truth is...most of us are obese/fat because of our lifestyle -- eating too much of the wrong food and not exercising, not because of any external illesses/bacteria/viruses, etc...

I have thin friends who seem to eat all they want and never gain weight and I wonder how they can do it. How?? They're all active. They walk, run, jog, do pilates, go to the gym, play sports...something. I can eat what they eat and gain weight because I'm not doing anything to burn off what I'm eating.
simone1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 PM   #5  

Here's what's been getting me.....
I do eat right and exercise. I track my calories with fitday, and log at least 30 min of cardio or weights 4-6 days a week (usually 50 min).
Feels like I have had a struggle to lose weight.
I have been reading a good book about metabolism (Fire Up Your Metabolism) and the little lightbulb above my head went off. Other than when I am exercising what am I doing??? I AM ON MY BUT!! I have a desk job and I watch TV too much in the evening. DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHH. My book said that even moderate exercise can't undo being a slug the rest of the day.
I have been trying to get up more during the day, parking farther away and even standing more (when on the phone etc.) My appetite has decreased and I actually feel like I have more energy. I have started losing again. So for those of you who feel like the weight refuses to budge no matter what you do like I have, it is worth considering.
pumpingiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #6  

Hey pumpingiron that is awesome and I also have read books about metabolism. ( where do i buy some ha ha). I am a stay at home mom with two small kids. besides my regular excercise of jogging i walk to and from my daughters school each day 1mile, at the park running around with my 3 yearold, and then at home doing all the housework then off to all the after school stuff my daughter is in. I seriously have sore feet at the end of the day from so much walking.
My problem is that there seems to be sooooo much information out there and no one agrees on anything. I keep searching for the one thing that will work for me without being a sucker. I am tired of gimmicks and false promises.
Good luck with your success.