Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:02 PM   #1  

Default Taught to diet

I weighed in today at my TOPS group and was the top loser (yay me!). While our fealess leader was talking about how she was chubby as a child and stick thin later then gaining weight to the point of being really big, something triggered an old memory. I don't even truly remember where or how I came up with this.

Any way, we hear this story many times and I saw a pattern. We were taught to diet. When we were young, we were told that we could diet to get the baby fat off. As adults, when we started to gain weight, we were told we could diet to get the college weight gain off and it continued to newlywed gain weight and pregnancy gain weight, middle age, etc. Excuses abounded as to why we gained weight.

I grew up in the 60's and 70's and from what I remember, everything was diet this or diet that. I don't remember reading or hearing about learning to eat.

Now when my girls ask if they can have this or that, I always say yes! BUT in moderation. I don't count calories just watch my portions. Eating correct portions and excersizing is just about enough. I know that everyone is different but for the average person, this should do.

Any other thoughts?

Lill/Elva
Lill is offline   Reply With Quote