What veggie do you STILL hate?

You're on Page 5 of 35
Go to
  • The only vegetable I have a horrible, visceral reaction to is grean peas. I cannot even take the smell of them. I tried feeding mashed peas to my oldest daughter once upon a time and had to stop for gagging at the scent. I still cannot bear to watch her eat them, and once my husband almost hurt himself laughing when I complained about their very pea-ness (say it out loud ). My mother used to try to make me eat them when I was a child, but I. would. not.

I do not like beets, either, or brussels sprouts, or lima beans. I suspect fresh asparagus might be good, but my palate has been scarred by canned asparagus at once both mushy and woody, and so I cannot bring myself to try them again. I don't care for green peppers, either--if I want to taste grass, I'll eat grass. I didn't touch red or yellow or orange bell peppers for years on account of how nasty the green ones are. Come to find out I like them!

I do enjoy many of the reviled veggies, though. I simply cannot get enough cauliflower. I was eating about a head of it a week while I was pregnant this last time. I like cabbage too-what can I say, I'm ethnically German--and radishes, and broccoli and zucchini. I love cauliflower and zucchini more than anything; I could eat them all day long.

I didn't like any okra but fried for years, but last week I was hungry & by Popeye's & ordered etouffee (which I am certain I just misspelled)...Okra is used as a thickener in that stew, and though I had to pick out the big snotty-looking pieces, it actually turned out to be pretty good.

My husband has issues with tomatoes. Especially cherry tomatoes; as a child he tried cutting into one and got squirted with juice. And yet, he loves ketchup, having gone so far as to put ketchup on one of our Christmas tamales. Not that ketchup bears much relation to actual tomatoes!
  • Courgettes
    Quote: What are Courgettes? and how do you cook them?

You may know them as Zucchini.
  • Ah, my long and violent war against tomatoes. The emnity has cooled, and we've reached an understanding: I will order food without if at all possible. If I forget, and can pick it out of a dish, I will. If I can't, I'll eat as much as I can stomach. I've learned to tolerate chili, and lasagna, and spaghetti sauce, and found indian food that includes tomatoes to be downright tasty.

Sundried tomatoes seem to be hit-or-miss, sometimes drying them sweetens them just enough to be tasty, other times they're still icky-yicky tomatoes. One time I had sundried tomato bruschetta at a restaurant... divine!

Ketchup will always be gross, except on millet cakes. It is the very best dip for millet cakes. So, now we are not "those weird people with no ketchup in the house."

-Amy
  • I hate, hate, hate avocados...I had never had them until good old British Airways tried to feed me guacamole salad sandwiches enroute to London...it looked all innocent but no....eww eww ewwww!!!
  • Fortunately for me, I like every single vegetable around EXCEPT for eggplant and white pearled onions. I even like brussel sprouts, as I found out a few minutes ago after trying them for the 2nd time in my life and finding that they taste a little bit like cabbage, which I like as well.

However, no matter how eggplant or pearled onions are prepared, I will not eat them ever again. My mother used to make eggplant parmesan (*shudders at the memory*) w/ cheese and tomato sauce when I was a young child and the rule was that we had to eat all of our vegetables before we were allowed to have dessert (and on nights when we didn't have dessert, the rule was that we couldn't get up from the table before we finished our veggies). My Mom used to make delicious cakes, cheesecakes, cookies, pies, etc. for dessert 4-5x/week. Some nights my siblings and I would be at the dinner table for 2 hours forcing ourselves to eat that nasty eggplant. Some of our techniques were: 1) Holding our nose while we chewed 2) Taking very tiny bites 3) Taking very big bites (this never worked very well) 4) Pushing the eggplant around on our plate to make it look like we ate it (this didn't work very well, either) & 5) Putting the eggplant in our napkins and throwing it away when nobody was looking.

Boy, those were tough times!
  • Quote:
    4) Pushing the eggplant around on our plate to make it look like we ate it (this didn't work very well, either)
    hahaha! i remember doing this with food i hated as a kid also! it worked suprisingly well on my step mother!
  • I once sat at the dinner table for about four hours until my mother gave up trying to force me to eat beets.

I don't care for eggplant either, now that I think of it. Bought it once, salted it & everything, and it was still nasty bitter.
  • It's a despicable vegetable, isn't it? I can't believe you don't like beets! A 4-hour standoff over little old beets? You must have been very stubborn!

Jas, lucky you that your stepmother never caught on!
  • Peas
    Hi All,

For Some reason I really hate Peas! I just can't bring myself to eat them. I feel like they smell like feet. I will tolerate them however if they are mixed in with a salad or in some soups. But miracles do happen, I grew up hating the Beans and now I love them and can't get enough of them. I guess taste change as you get older.
  • I cannot eat eggplant, lima beans, okra or raddichio. ICK!
  • Quote: I once sat at the dinner table for about four hours until my mother gave up trying to force me to eat beets.

I don't care for eggplant either, now that I think of it. Bought it once, salted it & everything, and it was still nasty bitter.
    ugh...I've never EVER tried beets. The smell alone...
  • Quote:
    Ketchup will always be gross, except on millet cakes. It is the very best dip for millet cakes. So, now we are not "those weird people with no ketchup in the house."

-Amy
    LOL, We are those weird people! I had to promise my niece that before she came over next we would by a small bottle of ketchup or pick up enough packets so that she could have ketchup with whatever we would have. Poor child, feels the need to eat ketchup on everything but won't touch a tomato!

I love tomatoes but can't stand ketchup, blech!

BTW: What are millet cakes?
  • I've gone from being a child who would only eat cucumbers, carrots and green beans, to being an adult who eats most vegetables. So I'm okay with the fact that there are still some I hate.

MUSHROOMS tops the list. They are the most vile-looking things, and I won't put them into me.

Pickles are next. I love cucumbers, hate the briny vinegar stuff that makes them into pickles. I'd rather starve.

Asparagus, beets, and peas are other veggies I'd rather skip, but I'll try them if they're forced on me.

And then there are veggies I dislike when they're cooked certain ways. I love tomatoes in all kinds of things, but you can forget about giving me stewed tomatoes. Zucchini is only tolerable if it's in something.
  • Brusse sprouts ....ug... just can't choke them down. Pickled beets - bad bad bad bad.....
  • Now that I think about it... there's eggplant! I would really like to like eggplant! It's a nice color, it's kind of trendy... but whenever i've tried to make anything with eggplant it's been a total disaster!