Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #16  
WW Moderator

Funny that this resurfaced. I was just at the Mc D site today, looking at their weight loss program that they offer at their Santa Rosa facility. Here's the all you can eat buffet that you get all week long. I'm not interested in a buffet really, but some of these recipes look pretty good!

Quote:
MCDOUGALL PROGRAM MEALS
MAXIMUM WEIGHT LOSS WEEKEND MENU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY 6:30PM DINNER BUFFET
MIXED GREEN SALAD WITH OIL FREE DRESSINGS
BOWLS OF ASSORTED VEGETABLES & BEANS
TWO STEAMED VEGETABLES
DIJON SPINACH SALAD (Quick & Easy Pg. 16)
VEGETABLE BARLEY SALAD (New Cookbook Pg. 196)
BROCCOLI BISQUE (NL, JAN 2005)
BAKED YAMS
CONFETTI RICE (Quick & Easy Pg. 93) SERVE WARM
SHEPHERD’S VEGETABLE PIE (NL April 2002)
FRUIT COBBLER (NL MAY 2004)
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA
RICE MILK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THURSDAY 7:30AM BREAKFAST BUFFET
STEEL CUT IRISH OATMEAL (NL Dec 2004)
RICE MILK, SOY MILK
SLICED BANANAS, CHOPPED APPLE
ASSORTED SLICED FRUIT
CINNAMON, MACE, NUTMEG (in shaker jars)
STEVIA, BROWN SUGAR
COLD CEREALS: PUFFED CORN, PUFFED RICE, PUFFED MILLET
SHREDDED WHEAT, GRAPENUTS, UNCLE SAM CEREAL
BAKED POTATO PATTIES (New Cookbook Pg. 313)
SALSA AND KETCHUP
HERB TEA

THURSDAY 1:00PM LUNCH BUFFET
STEAMED VEGETABLES (squash, spinach, carrots) sautéed with ORIENTAL DIJON DRESSING (Quick and Easy Pg. 48)
CHUNKY VEGETABLE SALAD (Weight Loss Pg. 204)
SOUTHWESTERN BLACK BEAN SOUP (New Cookbook Pg. 163)
ASIAN RICE SALAD (Quick & Easy Pg. 28)
MAPLE MASHED SWEET POTATOES (NL Oct 2004)
WICKED MUSHROOMS (NL March 2005)
BAKED POTATOES, BROWN RICE
GLOBAL BEAN STEW (NL May 2005)
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA

THURSDAY 6:30PM DINNER BUFFET
SHREDDED SALAD (Weight Loss Pg. 209)
FRESH STEAMED BROCCOLI
MEXI SOUP (Quick & Easy Pg. 75)
TEX-MEX POTATOES (NL Feb 2005)
WITH ENCHILADA SAUCE (Quick & Easy Pg. 221)
INSTANT MEXICAN BROWN RICE (Quick and Easy Pg. 100)
MASHED PINTO BEANS (New Cookbook Pg. 284)
ONIONS, DICED TOMATO, SHREDDED LETTUCE, SALSA
WHOLE WHEAT AND CORN TORTILLAS
TABASCO SAUCE
BASKET OF ASSORTED FRESH FRUIT
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA

FRIDAY 7:30AM BREAKFAST BUFFET
MULTI GRAIN HOT CEREAL (NL Dec 2004)
RICE MILK, SOY MILK
ASSORTED SLICED FRUIT
STEVIA, BROWN SUGAR
GALLO PINTO (NL Aug 2003)
SALSA
HERB TEA

FRIDAY 1:00PM LUNCH BUFFET
STEAMED VEGETABLE
CRUDITÉS / RED PEPPER DIP (Quick & Easy Pg. 255)
POTATO CHOWDER (Quick and Easy Pg. 65)
RAINBOW SALAD (NL May 2004)
BBQ BEAN SALAD (NL Sept 2002)
MOCK TUNA SPREAD (Quick and Easy Pg. 250) Double Recipe
DEVILED SPREAD (Quick & Easy Pg. 246) Serve Cold
CORN TORTILLAS
LARGE LETTUCE LEAVES (for making sandwich wraps), SLICED TOMATOES, SLICED ONIONS, PICKLES
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA

FRIDAY 6:30PM DINNER BUFFET
TOMATO VEGETABLE SALAD (NL Jan 2005)
TWO STEAMED VEGETABLES
THREE BEAN SALAD (NL Nov 2004)
PEA SOUP (NL Nov 2004)
QUINOA GARDEN SALAD (NL Jan 2005)
ROASTED POTATOES (NL July 2002) USE LESS CAYENNE
MARINARA SAUCE (New McDougall Cookbook Pg. 353)
SPAGEHTTI SQUASH (NL Nov 2004)
POLENTA (thick), BROWN RICE
BASKET OF ASSORTED FRESH FRUIT
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA

SATURDAY 7:30AM BREAKFAST BUFFET
STEEL CUT IRISH OATMEAL (NL Dec 2004)
RICE MILK, SOY MILK
ASSORTED SLICED FRUIT
BROWN SUGAR, STEVIA
EAST WEST BREAKFAST (NL May 2004)
SALSA, KETCHUP
HERB TEA

SATURDAY 1:00PM LUNCH BUFFET
CHUNKY VEGETABLE SALAD (Weight Loss Pg. 204)
TOMATO BASIL SOUP (NL June 2002)
STUFFED MUSHROOMS (NL FEB 2005)
PICNIC LENTIL SALAD (NL July 2002) Serve Cold
SAN ANTONIA QUINOA (Quick and Easy Pg. 29)
SQUASHY BLACK BEANS (NL Feb 2005) SERVE HOT
BROWN RICE
SOUTHWEST RED POTATOES (NL Jan 2005)
KETCHUP, BBQ SAUCE, TABASCO SAUCE
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA

SATURDAY 6:30PM DINNER BUFFET
SPINACH VEGETABLE SALAD (Weight Loss Pg. 207)
BEAN AND RICE SALAD (Weight Loss Pg. 245)
TWO STEAMED VEGETABLES
MINESTRONE SOUP (NL January 2004)
ORIENTAL PASTA (New McDougall Cookbook, page 247)
YUKON STUFFED PEPPERS with
MARSALA MUSHROOM SAUCE (NL Dec 2004)
BAKED YAMS
RICE PUDDING (NL Feb 2003)
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA

SUNDAY 7:30AM BREAKFAST BUFFET
MULTI GRAIN HOT CEREAL (NL Dec 2004)
RICE MILK, SOY MILK
ASSORTED SLICED FRUIT
STEVIA, BROWN SUGAR
COSTA RICAN POTATOES & BEANS (NL Aug 2003)
SALSA, KETCHUP
BREAKFAST APPLE RICE (Weight Loss Pg. 224)
HERB TEA

SUNDAY 1:00PM LUNCH BUFFET
CRUDITÉS WITH HUMMUS (Quick and Easy Pg. 248)
ITALIAN POTATO SALAD (Weight Loss Pg. 247)
SWEET POTATO BISQUE (NL Nov 2003)
STEAMED VEGETABLE
BARBEQUED BEANS (NL August 2003)
BLACK BEANS AND TOMATOES (NL Aug 2002)
SERVE BEANS HOT & TOMATOES COOL
BROWN RICE
HERB TEA, DECAF ICED TEA
Old 02-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingGoal View Post
Is anyone doing Dr. McDougall's MWL?
I started the MWL program a little less than one week ago. I've gained weight slowly but surely over the past several years, starting with my hysterectomy three years ago. I've tried various things (WW, South Beach), but my metabolism is really screwed up (I'm hypothyroid), and none of those programs worked for me. I'd get discouraged after a month or two with no progress and fall off the wagon.

I hadn't even considered a vegetarian diet (let along a vegan diet!) until my sister sent me the link to Dr. McDougall's web site. She and her husband have been vegetarians for 20 years, although they've have limited success trying to be vegan (cheese is their downfall). It seemed so extreme to me, considering the way I've been eating all my life, but after reading through the information on the site, I decided to give it a try. So far I'm lucky that I have very low cholesterol levels and low blood pressure, but both of my parents have heart disease (they've both had bypass surgery), so I'm getting scared about my health. I have lots of problems with lack of energy.

I read the web site Monday night, and Tuesday morning I dove right in. I had enough of the necessary foods in the house (I work at home) to make it through that day. I went to the store Tuesday night, and I've been following the MWL program every since.

I'm really amazed at how easy this has been for me! Of course, it's only been a week, but the first week is always the most difficult for me. Whenever I was on any other sort of program, I obsessed about food. I thought about it all day long, and even though I could start out with the best of intentions, by the time the day was three quarters over, I'd give in to my cravings. But that hasn't happened this time. I feel full and satisfied all day long. I never think about food. I'm not in the least bit tempted to eat anything that's not on the program. I still can't get over how easy it's been.

Best of all, I've lost seven pounds since I started less than a week ago! On any other program, it would take me months to lose this much. I realize this first week is probably an abberation, and I don't expect to continue to lose at this rate. But I think it's highly probable that I will lose a pound or two a week. I'm ecstatic. I feel good (a little lightheaded the first day, but that passed). I have more energy, and I'm sleeping a bit better (I have a 30-year history of insomnia). I'm really sold on this program. I need to lose 60 more pounds, so my plan is to stay on the MWL program until I do, and then slowly start moderating by adding bread, nuts and seeds.

My husband is overweight, too (he has a HUGE belly, whereas the rest of him is small). I've been trying to get him to follow programs with me for years, but he's addicted to meat and cheese and alcohol. Since I've started this, though, he's made some pretty drastic changes to his diet, too. He's still eating foods that aren't allowed on McDougall, but he told me this morning that he wants to start eliminating them. I've been very worried about his health (he has both high cholesterol and high blood pressure), so this is fabulous news.

Sorry this post is so long (especially for my first post), but I wanted to share my excitement and how well I think this program works. For the first time in several years, I can visualize myself slender and healthy. Maybe there *is* life after menopause.

Julie
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #18  
WW Moderator

Julie, and GOOD FOR YOU! I'm so happy that you found what you are looking for. You're the perfect example that there is not a one size fits all diet. I'm so glad you are doing well. Can you post some sample menus of what you eat?
Old 02-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #19  

Thanks for the welcome, Jennifer.

Here's what I had yesterday (pretty typical of what I've been eating):

Breakfast: Steel-cut oats with fresh banana added after cooking

Mid-morning: Bowl of coleslaw mix with 1/2 english cucumber

Lunch: Serving of mixed salad greens with tomato and 1T of nonfat dressing. Bowl of pinto beans (which I cooked in the pressure cooker with spices and a container of my own frozen Hatch green chile), mixed with some brown rice.

Afternoon snack: Apple

Dinner: Homemade soup (made with vegie broth and a mashed sweet potatoe as the stock, plus lots of vegies, black beans and red rice--this soup is very thick and filling), topped with a little salsa. Baked sweet potato. Zucchini strips roasted in oven. Tomato slices with balsamic vinegar.

I got the MWL book in the mail yesterday and spent last night reading it. So I now have some more ideas for recipes and menus and the list of McDougall-approved ready-made foods (such as cereals), which will make my life a little easier.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:41 PM   #20  
WW Moderator

OH MY GOSH you are starving me to death. Your soup sounds soooooo good! Oh dear. I'm going to have to try and make something like that. And you've given me hope that there ARE good veggie pinto beans out there. I've not been able to make any that taste good since I went veg. They always taste watery.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #21  

The secret with pinto beans is to cook them really well. As the water cooks down, I boil water to add to the beans. If they're well done, the soup is thick. I notice that when I cook them in the pressure cooker, the soup is a bit thinner, so there's definitely something about cooking them for a long time on top the stove.

My ex-MIL was Hispanic, and she taught me to cook things the way her mother and grandmother did. Beans were a staple with every single meal. She also taught me to put up green chile. The green chile used in Colorado and New Mexico is a group of a special varieties (Pueblo chile in Colorado, Hatch chile in New Mexico). In size, it's inbetween Anaheims and jalepenos. Heatwise, it's much closer to the jalepeno. Every year, I buy five to six bushels of green chile. It's already roasted when I get it (the vendors roast it for you in giant barrel roasters), so I bring it home and spend a couple of days removing stems and seeds and chopping it up in my food processor. I then freeze it in small disposable freezer containers (I have a second refrigerator, and the entire freezer is full of chile). I use this chile in absolutely everything. It gives soup a hot, spicy flavor. And even just a spoonful of it added to a bowl of pinto beans makes them yummy.

I'm fortunate to live in Colorado, where green chile is readily available in the fall. But I have a good friend (who's British, BTW) who lives in Utah. He orders chile from Hatch, NM, every year and roasts it himself. He's a vegan, too, and neither one of us could live without our green chile!

Yesterday I made a huge salad with all kinds of fresh vegies. I added some canned corn, as well as some drained black beans I'd cooked the day before. I have some delicious balsamic vinegar I got at a Colorado vineyard and used that for the dressing. That was the best salad I've eaten in a long time. Even my husband had two huge servings.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #22  
Learning to love veggies

Four years ago, I lost a large amount of weight (70lbs) by McDougalling and felt fantastic! It does really work.

Sadly, after I met my husband, I began eating meat and dairy again and gained a lot of my weight back.

I've decided that I'm cutting out meat/dairy again and want to start eating more MWL (no bread, etc..), but I'll need to do the 12day programme after I reach my goal to maintain. Its worth it...
Old 03-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #23  

I just got back from a two-day off-site meeting. The food was all arranged ahead of time, and it was challenging to stay on the program. I ended up eating a tiny bit of cheese one day, but otherwise I was good. And I was rewarded with a two-pound weight loss when I got home!

I'm getting very used to eating this way. I still haven't had any cravings, which is SO unusual for me. I've lost 18 pounds now (still have 60 to go). My pants are getting really baggy, and people are starting to notice. It sure does feel good.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 178/146/125

Height: 5'5"

Hi Jukie,

Are you -- and any others -- still McDougalling? If so, how are you doing?
Thanks!
Closed Thread