Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #1  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

Height: 5'3"

Default Considering becoming a Vegetarian

Hi everyone.

I have really seriously been considering becoming a vegetarian lately. I've been researching on the internet about the horrible treatment of animals (living conditions, slaughterhouses, etc.) and it literally makes me sick. I rarely eat red meat anyway, but eat chicken quite often. I don't know where to begin. Can I really do this?

Also, I have three children ... what about them? I know that my son (9 yo) isn't going to be very keen on giving up his chicken tenders and burgers, and I have 3 yo twins which are picky enough. Do I continue to feed them some meat and perhaps gradually they will learn to eat what I eat?

Does this mean no more milk and eggs as well? As you can see, I am clueless. But at the same time, I can't imagine eating meat lately ... haven't cooked any in days (except for frozen Lean Cuisines, YES I know it's still meat - lol - but I need to find a replacement).

Kelly
Old 06-28-2006, 10:05 AM   #2  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

Hi and welcome! I am not a vegetarian but the more I read, the more grossed out I become. I am slowly but surely eating a more plant-based diet. Like you, I am still new to all this and need more information. It has been difficult for me to change b/c it's a new way of approaching meal planning and I need help!

I have 1 DH, 1 13 y.o. stepson visiting frequently, a 5 y.o. picky son and a 2 y.o. son. The 5 y.o. will be my biggest challenge. You might try having your 9 y.o help with meal preparation. He might be more inspired to eat something he cooked himself. The twins could help out too! Just keep putting healthy food out for them and hope that eventually they will try it and like it. Check out www.veganlunchbox.com for more ideas.

I suggest starting at your local library and reading as much as you can. Vegetarian is a broad term. Lacto-ovo vegetarians eat eggs and dairy products. Vegans do not. Not just the ethics but also for health reasons it's advisable to be a vegetarian or a vegan. There will be cookbooks for you to check out and try for free before you spend $ on buying.

I also suggest visiting your local heath food store. Get someone to watch your children so you'll have plenty of time to browse without interruption! There are lots of products that are substitutes for meat, including "chicken" tenders and "burgers" that your oldest might like. I personally don't like the flavor of the substitutes but he might not mind.

Edamame is young soy beans. I buy them already shelled from the freezer section. I love them! They're great to have around as a snack. If your kids like fresh green peas, they'll probably like edamame. Try hummus too- my 2 y.o. loves dunking his Triscuits in it.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:34 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I would suggest that you start with familiar looking foods for your family and make small changes over a period of time so they can get used to the changes. Try introducing 1 or 2 vegetarian meals a week.

Making a meatless spaghetti sauce is quite easy if you fill it full of peppers, mushrooms and other veggies. You can also add in veggie ground round (MorningStar Farms and Yves Veggie Cuisine makes this) to add to get the same texture but without meat.

Another good item is pizza using a storebought boboli or pita bread with a choice of veggie toppings and mozzarella cheese.

Switching to fresh fruit and cut up veggies with hummous or low fat dip as snacks would be good too.

Here are some family friendly recipes: :http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44712

A few reading suggestions to check out at the library:

Becoming Vegetarian
The Part-time Vegetarian (cookbook)
Almost Vegetarian (cookbook)
Old 07-24-2006, 02:30 AM   #4  
Lovin' being Vegan

S/C/G: 168/153/135

I have always stayed away from all meat except chicken. I have recently changed my diet to a complete Vegan one. like you all, i was disgusted and grossed out by the research that i have done. also i was Dx with high cholesterol and want to be healthier. i feed my family chicken 2 x a week ( i dont eat it) and am slowly easing them into a complete plant based diet. i allow them to eat cheese and milk. but try to get them to drink rice milk instead. my daughter is 6 and rarely eats meat (she is an animal lover) my hubby is harder, but is trying and has been great about my decison to change. i think that maybe you could slowly ease them over, or let them decide. there are some great products out though that your son may like as much as chicken tenders.
Closed Thread