Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #1  

Default I'm stuck in a food rut

I've just realised why I get bored. I'm stuck in a big food rut.

My meals on a weekly basis if I'm on a diet consist of the following.

A veggie mince meal - i.e. chilli or spaghetti with JP or pasta or rice.

A pesto pasta meal

A rice meal

A what I call roast meal so it will be quorn roast or sausages with veggies

A salad meal JP with salad or egg salad or something

An egg based meal

This is pretty much what I eat week in week out and I'm bored bored bored. But I don't have the time to prepare food really. Anyone got any tips on how I can break out of my food rut. Any other basic veggie staples I can incorporate?

Help!!!
Old 01-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I don't use many quorn, veggie mince type products. I tend to use more lentils and beans instead.

Some of our favourite meals (that you haven't already mentioned):
lentil loaf and roasted vegetables
vegetable curry, dal (thick lentil soup), basmati rice--this is open to a lot of variation depending on the vegetables ans spices you use
bean burritos or vegetable fajitas
soups with lentils or beans
Old 01-11-2006, 01:20 PM   #3  
Opulent

I eat all the vegan foods listed too! I focus on veggies and beans/lentils. The main part of my meals is always veggies and spices. Maybe it's time to braoden your use of herbs and spices? What do you currently use?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #4  

I do eat lentils too in fact I'm eating lentil soup right now. Tend to keep them as lunch foods though.

How do you make lentil loaf?

I just tend to use mixed herbs and spices in curries and the like. I need to branch out more.

Also can anyone make tofu taste decent I keep trying but it just doesn't taste as good when I make it. Any tips?
Old 01-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #5  

Do you marinate your tofu? I find that marinating it adds TONS of extra flavor. The two marinades I use the most are a tomato/basil based marinade or ginger/sesame if I want an asian flair.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #6  

Nope never tried that always assumed it would make it even squishier than it is already. I like it best when its firm. Is it good? And do you buy marinade or make your own?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #7  

I usually make my own... but I have bought a really good ginger-sesame marinade before. When I get home from work, I'll get what brand it is.

I almost exclusively use extra firm tofu, and I just make sure to leave enough time for the liquid to drain off.

I've seen tofu already marinated at my local health food store. They have a variety of flavors, but it's a few dollars more than just plain tofu where I live. If you can afford it, it might be nice to try.

One more thing... If I feel like I'm getting in a food rut, I'll take a vegetable I either haven't tried or thought I disliked and find a new or different way to prepare it. I've discovered that I like both radishes and turnips by doing this!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 AM   #8  

Height: 5`2

You need some new recipies in your daily diet.
Do you like to cook?
I have been on a mediterranean cooking binge; I have some wonderful veggie/vegan recipes. I will pm you where they are at if you wish?.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:04 PM   #9  

impossible princess-
i like my tofu firm-firm-firm too. you might try tempeh, it's more firm than even 'extra-firm' tofu. good marinated and used on the grill or baked. i like it in stirfrys, salads, wraps, etc.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:12 PM   #10  

that'd be great to the PMing. i'll cook if its quick but I live in a shared flat so getting to the kitchen is nothing short of a miracle.
Closed Thread