Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:35 PM   #1  

Talking the mcdougall program for max weight loss

Hello fellow veg*ns! have you guys heard of this diet? im having a really hard time finding out what i CAN and CANNOT eat on this program...

i dont have the time/money to go buy the book so i was wondering if any of you have links about it..

also, have any of you tried this? success/no success? tips?

thanks muchly!

that carrot is so damn cute.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:52 PM   #2  

Hi,
I've done this diet before, and I lost about 10 lbs in a month. It's very healthy, but very strict. You can go to vegsource.com and go to the wellness/mcdougall forum and get lots of info. Dr. McDougall also has a website at drmcdougall.com, which has a lot of information on it.

Basically, it's a low fat, starch based diet. Mostly veggies, whole grains and beans. The maximum weight loss doesn't even allow tofu or avocado. No added oil to anything.

It's a really good and healthy diet, but like I said, it's very strict. It takes quite a bit of time to chop veggies, etc., but it's really worth it. I've been thinking about going back on it. I felt really good when I did it.

See if your library has any of the books.

Let me know if you want me to send you some recipes.

Darby
Old 11-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #3  

Arrow

id LOVE some recipes!

so, are you allowed whole grains? because i got confused, it said you could eat whole grains, but then said no bread? is that including whole grain bread?

im really looking for a food list of approved/disapproved foods

i went to the dr's website, but i dont see any info, all he wants me to do is buy the book? perhaps im not looking in the right places?

that forum looks really helpful, thanks!

whee...
Old 11-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #4  

I'll gather up a few recipes tomorrow and post them here. Bread is ok as long as it's whole grain and no oil. I'll try to find a list of do's and don't's and send them to you, as well.

Have a good night,

Darby
Old 11-12-2005, 09:29 PM   #5  
Opulent

Yes, his diet is VERY strict! Basically, eat brown rice, amaranth, quinoa, rye, oats and so on (whole grains only) beans, legumes (not peanuts), potatoes, corn, peas, all veggies and no fats, oils, processed foods.

It is a basic no added sugars, low salt, healthy vegan plan.

Best of luck!
Old 11-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #6  

did yall know they actually have prepared meals for that diet???? I was browsing on some site(can't remember at the moment, but will post when i do) and saw a starter kit for it. Looks like mainly soupish type dishes, but if you're lazy like me it could come in handy, lol.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #7  
Opulent

Dr. Mc Dougal doesn't own the rights to those products and no longer endorses them...many are very high sodium and don't meet the guidelines he lays out for weightloss and health.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #8  

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby1
I'll gather up a few recipes tomorrow and post them here. Bread is ok as long as it's whole grain and no oil. I'll try to find a list of do's and don't's and send them to you, as well.

Have a good night,

Darby

thats be great! thanks so much!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #9  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default I don't usually post in this forum but I saw the line...

and since I was on the McD Maximum Weight Loss Diet in the 1990's I figure I'd add in my two cents.

First off- did you check your local library? They might have a copy you can look at.

I did this program for, oh about a year or so. Yup - I did lose weight - it was kind of hard NOT to if you stay on the program since the food list is so restricted (despite the author's claims of being able to eat a variety of foods). I also lost a good amount of hair, had dry, flaky, itchy skin, and low energy.

Here's the list of what you can and can't have:

Allowed on the program

Whole grains such as brown rice, corn, oatmeal, barley, millet, and wheat berries

Squashes and root vegetables

Legumes (beans and peas)

Green and yellow vegetables

Fruit (limited to 2 servings a day)

NOT permitted

All red meat, including beef pork, and lamb.

All poultry and fish.

All dairy products, including milk, yogurt, and cheese.

All oil, including olive, safflower, peanut, and corn oil.

All eggs. Eggs are abundant in fat and cholesterol.

Nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, and soybean products (including tofu, soy cheese, and soy milk).

All dried fruit and fruit juices

All flour products, such as breads, bagels, and pretzels (and forget about sprouted grain or Ezeikel bread - I actually contacted the McDougall people in St. Helena and ASKED them when I was on the plan and they told me in no uncertain terms that "No bread" meant NO BREAD - whole-grain bread is permitted on his "12 Day Diet" but in the book 12 Days to Maximum Health he recommends cutting out all bread to lose more weight)

I think I was averaging about 1,000 calories a day or less when I was on this diet - you don't have to measure anything (except for the fruit) but it is EXTREMELY restrictive so it is very difficult to get a lot of calories in. The fat and protein levels are very low indeed which explains my loss of hair, itchy skin and lack of energy while I was on the plan.

I don't know if McDougall still endorses cutting all fat and most protein from diets but from my personal experience this is a VERY radical plan. (I used to own a video of his where he answered the question of very low protein by using the example of horses, cows and elephants having huge muscles even though they eat relatively low protein and fat - but humans aren't the same as horses - we have different needs, KWIM? - and incidentally horses actually do need some protein and fat in their diets for optimum health and performance, so it's not a very good analogy IMO).

I'm not dissing vegan or vegetarian diets - I just think there are better/healthier ones out there than this one. I assume that folks who "go veg" are looking at OVERALL health, not just the numbers on the scale...

PS - oh and I agree with the previous poster's comments on the McDougall Prepared Foods...I bought a case of them and they were VERY salty and almost inedible - ended up giving them to a food bank!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:37 AM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogini
Dr. Mc Dougal doesn't own the rights to those products and no longer endorses them...many are very high sodium and don't meet the guidelines he lays out for weightloss and health.
Then why hasn't he removed the links to the "Right Foods" site from his homepage or taken the products off his "Approved Foods" list?
Old 11-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #11  

Hey saccade,
I sent you a pm.

Darby
Old 11-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #12  
Opulent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
Then why hasn't he removed the links to the "Right Foods" site from his homepage or taken the products off his "Approved Foods" list?
You know I am not sure as I don't work for his company or any of his affiliates; I am simply passing on the information he shared when I heard him speak last month.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:33 PM   #13  

I got very sick while doing this diet. Not just sick of eating potatoes, but physically sick. I had no energy, I was dizzy, and I felt like I was going to pass out any second.
Closed Thread