Old 04-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'7

Question Gluten Free Mock Meat/ Alternatives?

Hey Ladies,

So Ive Been Wondering Why I Feel Crappy After Eating Mock Meats Ever Since I Became A Vegetarian, I Have A Gluten Intolerence. Anyhow I Have Been Researching Gluten Free Mock Meats And No Company Makes Any Without Gluten! I Really Dont Want To Go Back To Eating Meat For Many Reasons But What Else Can I Use On My Sandwhich If Not Tofurky? Is Anyone Else A Vegetarian On A Gluten Free Diet? Does Anyone Know Of Any Brands That Have Mock Meats With Out Glutten In Them? Also I Really Enjoyed The Boca Crumbles Veggie Crumbles For My Pasta Sauce If Anyone Know Of A Good Substitue Please Let Me Know.

Thank You
FloridaGirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 292/265/180

Height: 6'

My husband recently used gluten free TVP (textured vegetable protein) to make homemade chili and it was so delicious.
junebug44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #3  

Here's a VERY similar recipe (in terms of how he seasoned the "meat") for sausage crumbles: http://www.food.com/recipe/t-v-p-sau...en-free-412473
Old 04-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #4  

Hey June bug thanks for the info, I looked into that and purchased it at whole foods, I tried it in my gluten free pasta and I love it! now if I could only fine something to replace the deli slices in my sandwich ;-)
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #5  
Starting OVER!

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6

Have you tried Quorn? I googled and read that the Quorn Roast and Quorn tenders are gluten free.. Those are the only two products that are though! Hope this helps! Do you have a Kroger where you are? They have a lot of gluten free things in the "naturals/organic" section and Ingles carries them as well.
blackbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #6  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I know it's not a veg-based meat, but I eat a PB & J almost every day I need to eat lunch at school. Easy, cheap, and I like 'em. Plus I try to eat less processed foods most of the time, while I do enjoy some Tofurky now and then it's definitely not a "whole food". Out of curiosity, what kind of gluten-free bread do you use for sandwiches? I have some GF friends and they say store-bought GF bread is no good and started making their own.

If you freeze tofu and thaw it the texture totally changes, it gets very chewy. I like to crumble it up and sautee with some Italian herbs and fennel seeds to use in pasta.

Last edited by shananigans; 04-14-2012 at 11:15 PM.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #7  

before I found out I have gluten intolerance I used to use tofurky on my sandwiches and veganese. Tofurky number 2 ingredient is vital gluten which gave me my answer to why I always felt like crap after I ate it. as far as GF bread I am in love with udis! tell your friends about it, its the only brand that tastes good and I get the whole grain. All of udis products are GF! its hard to find gluten free pizza that tastes good. btw ill try your tofu suggestion. thanks
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #8  

Good to hear that it worked for you FloridaGirl I really love it!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Personally I think the best thing to do is stay away from the fake meat in general. It is so heavily processed, contains a lot of salt and is really heavy on processed GMO soy. It really isn't the best or healthiest choice at all. One thing I found great for sandwiches is to use hummus or a spicy lentil paste as a base. I recommend experimenting with beans and legumes. One of my favourite wraps is hummus, cucumber, spinich, tomato, hot peppers, and a tiny bit of ranch dressing.

I also have issues with gluten and have actually moved completely away from bread and sandwiches in general because I hate gluten free bread alternatives. I think that when it comes to vegetarianism we should focus on living without meat rather than replacing it with fake meat it is possible to be vegetarian without all the processed junk.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #10  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

Tofu
Tempeh
TVP (textured vegetable protein)
Quorn products
Mushrooms
Beans
Lentils
Potato

Those are some of the gluten free foods that can stand in for meat. Some of them may seem foreign and scary but once you learn to cook with them, it opens up an entire world of cooking. I'm serious, I used to be a junk food vegetarian relying on supermarket meat replacements too but learning to cook with tofu, tempeh and beans improved both my diet and cooking skills by 1000%. My tip would be to find yourself a good vegetarian cookbook with all the basics - like Veganomicon or How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and start learning how to cook properly!
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 253/170/145

Height: 5'7''

My family really doesn't dig any fake meats so instead we rely on a balance of legumes, whole grains, veggies and fruits to get our protein. Maybe look into the Engine 2 diet for some healthy ideas? Also this blogger ohsheglows dot com and this blogger bring-joy dot com are GF and have some amazing recipes! Try the snobby joes at the post punk kitchen and and the lentil loaf at Bring Joy.

Good luck!
brittlbrattl is offline   Reply With Quote