Old 04-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Default protein rich snack ideas?

hey guys!

I'm finding it hard getting enough protein in my diet. I want to try to sneak it in through out the day, not just at supper time. I know nuts are a good choice but I allergies to peanuts and most other nuts. I just need something portable and easy. Any ideas?
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #2  

Hi check out this web site. shes had gastric bypass surg like me and she has lots of protein snacks and recipes. ive used several of them and really find them helpful the web site is theworldaccordingtoeggface.com hope this helps you,akrosey49
akrosey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #3  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Do you eat dairy? Cottage cheese is pretty awesome in terms of protein content. I don't care for its texture so I blend it with spices and use it for dips.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #4  

Same here with the hard boiled eggs and string cheese.
hatgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206.8/168.9/115

Height: 5' 5"

soy yogurt and soy milk! (they come in portable, handy packages) edamame is great too!
WannabeNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/202/145

Height: 5'2"

there are carb master yogurts that have 8g of protein each. i 2nd the cottage cheese comment, it has about 9g per half cup. fake meats & beans have a good amount of protein in them (light life buffalo wings have 13g/4 wings!). tofu is packed with protein. i've been thinking recently about eating a protein bar in the mornings with my breakfast, also.
jeni4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/202/145

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
Do you eat dairy? Cottage cheese is pretty awesome in terms of protein content. I don't care for its texture so I blend it with spices and use it for dips.
Try getting small curd. I've been getting this kind that comes in individual cups and it's so packed in that it's almost not even like cottage cheese. As weird as it may sound, I like to eat it with pickles. Soooo good.
jeni4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Toasted sunflower seeds with a bit of salt, soya sauce or tamari. You can also toast them with raisins, although toast them separately as one takes longer than the other and I can't remember which it is.

A lot of protein sources are high in fat, you may want to keep an eye on that when snacking.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #9  

Why do you feel your not getting enough? When you think about it, have you ever heard of a real person suffering a legitimate protein deficiency in developed countries?
ChantelJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

protein shakes!
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 128/127/110

Height: 4'11"

Good point, Chantel: how much protein are you getting, how much protein do you think you should be getting, and what is the reason for wanting that level of protein? I'm only adding in extra protein because I've been advised to by a doctor for my specific medical condition, but I had a perfectly acceptable protein level for a healthy person before that, and I'm on a vegan diet. Try this site to give you an idea of what your macronutrient ratios should be, and don't be put off by the disproportionately high number of people here who are on a low-carb diet.

Last edited by Esofia; 07-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Esofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #12  

[QUOTE=akrosey49;3787578]Hi check out this web site. shes had gastric bypass surg like me and she has lots of protein snacks and recipes. ive used several of them and really find them helpful the web site is theworldaccordingtoeggface.com hope this helps you,akrosey49[/QUOTE

that website sounds great. I will check it out. thanks
loloi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #13  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Why not have the "supper time" foods at other times of the day too?

And check out better portability via better lunchboxes? Ms. bento for instance? A Rambler insulated bags? Lock & Lock lunch sets?

Maybe check out "The Vegetarian Way" by Virginia Messina and Mark Messina. Has a good veg protein chapter.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 07-27-2011 at 03:54 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 136/123/110

Height: 5'2

Beef Jerky!
Loli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbphoenix View Post
hey guys!

I'm finding it hard getting enough protein in my diet. I want to try to sneak it in through out the day, not just at supper time. I know nuts are a good choice but I allergies to peanuts and most other nuts. I just need something portable and easy. Any ideas?
I recently read something that makes a ton of sense - it's important to eat protein before bed time. This way, while you are sleeping your muscles are still happy and repairing themselves for our inactive hours. You need to nourish your muscles especially while dieting! Dieting makes us lose fat but also makes us lose muscle, and we don't want to be flabby!

I usually eat some fat free vanilla greek yogurt mixed with natural peanut butter or some 2% whipped cottage cheese while I'm unwinding at night.

I personally steer clear of nuts because I don't have the self control to buy a bag and only eat a few. Yes nuts are great in omegas, but full of fat.

I also don't eat protein bars because they are full of sugar, covered in chocolate, etc... and sugar is a drug to me - give me a little and I crave more.

Dairy can be a tricky part of dieting. We need calcium as women, but dairy can be fattening and full of cholesterol. Cheese makes me gain weight. So I stick to low fat or fat free yogurts and cottage cheese. Otherwise I don't eat dairy because low fat cheese tastes like plastic to me. All of the tofutti products are yummy but they have such little protein in them, I wouldn't suggest those as good sources of protein at all. Hard boiled eggs are good at night, and nourishing.

It's so hard to find a good variety for vegetarians that are low fat... I have been a vegetarian for 16 years! It's easy to slip into sweets or cheeses and thats where the weight gain comes from. It's challenging but important to keep our carb intake on the low side and our protein intake on the high side with a vegetarian diet.

Good luck veggie girls, you are all doing so great!
wecandoitladies is offline   Reply With Quote