Old 02-23-2010, 05:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Default Germany, Cage-free eggs

Just thought I'd share - Germany has passed a new law which only allows cage-free eggs to be sold in grocery stores! Caged eggs are considered an extreme form of animal cruelty and have thus been outlawed.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

although here in the States cage free does not always mean what you might think it does. But still, I'm glad to hear that. Would gladly pay more for eggs raised in more natural conditions.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think it's great. It's odd how much people will get angry about a relatively small number of fighting dogs treated atrociously, but not mass numbers of other animals.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

In the US, the ASPCA (and I guess other organizations) currently have a petition that organic cows need to be cage free and have access to grass. Dairy cows have such horrendous conditions and sadly it isn't much better for dairy cows who produce 'organic' milk.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/140/135

Height: 5'4"

It's gotten to the point where it is hard to figure out what is ok to eat and what is causing harm/suffering to our fellow critters. So sad what we do to them in the name of Profit.
Thinfor5Minutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

That sounds a LOT better than the law passed in CA in 2008 by voters...that law said that chickens grown in CA had to be treated humanely, but didn't place any restrictions on what kinds of eggs could be sold in the grocery stores. End result? All the eggs in our grocery stores now come from out of state. Still cruel AND a bigger carbon footprint...sounds like a good idea to me!

I'd love to see the sale of animal products restricted to those treated humanely...until then, I buy from farmers I KNOW down at the Farmer's Market. It's cheaper, too!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote