Old 05-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Help me out--post your FAVORITE main dish

For our church auction in April, I auctioned off one meatless meal (vegan or vegetarian) a month for six months, which was purchased by an omnivore couple. I want to show them that vegan/vegetarian food is tasty, but I'm having a hard time choosing recipes because some of the things I've tried from different websites haven't been all that great. Plus so many of the ones I like seem to be stews and soups, which isn't appropriate for summer. I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys--a favorite recipe that you love and others like it, too. Something you take to potlucks that others rave about, perhaps? Thank you!

Here's one I discovered via my massage therapist who's in a monthly supper club. This was a side dish, but I use it as a main dish. My omnivore husband raved about this, too.

Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa (from Epicurious, but with a couple of changes by me)

2 teaspoons grated lime zest
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation: Whisk together lime zest and juice, oil, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.

Wash quinoa and cook until fluffy. (You cook quinoa like rice)

Add quinoa to dressing and toss until dressing is absorbed, then stir in remaining ingredients and salt and pepper to taste.

I cut up an avocado and put it on top of the bowl and squeezed a lime over it. Yum!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #2  
it's always something

What a neat auction!!

One of my favorite vegetarian meals is Mediterranean Millet Burgers

http://www.recipesforwholegrains.com...illet-burgers/

I serve them on a plate with a fancy salad, instead of on buns. The olive ketchup is yummy, but I've also served with commercial tapenade or roasted tomatoes. I usually cook the millet the night before and refrigerate till ready to make the burgers. I use a stick blender to partially mash it all up, but I like the look of the millet and pieces of spinach, so I don't blend it all. I also use at least 6 sundried tomatoes, sometimes more.

Mediterranean Millet Burgers

4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup millet, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups lightly packed baby spinach, stems trimmed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
7 whole-wheat English muffins or whole-wheat buns
1/2 cup Olive Ketchup, optional (recipe follows)
arugula and sliced tomatoes for garnish

Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop; set aside.

Meanwhile, bring broth (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in millet and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.

Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; transfer to a plate to cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

While the millet cooks, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes.

Gradually stir in spinach; cover and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, 30 to 60 seconds. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate; let cool for about 10 minutes.

Prepare Olive Ketchup, if using.

Place millet in a food processor and pulse to mix lightly. Add the spinach mixture and pulse until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the feta, basil, breadcrumbs, pepper and the reserved sun-dried tomatoes; mix well.

With dampened hands, form the mixture into seven 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each.

Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 3 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side. Toast English muffins (or buns). Garnish burgers with arugula, tomatoes and Olive Ketchup, if desired.

Olive Ketchup

Prep time: 10 minutes - Start to finish: 10 minutes - To make ahead: the ketchup will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. - Ease of preparation: easy

This makes a great finish for baked or broiled fish

Makes about 1/2 cup
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #3  
1 day at a time =^.^=

S/C/G: 275/217/165

Height: 5'5"

This is not gourmet, and not unprocessed, but my omnivore hubby and daughter love it. In fact, I made it the other night and my daughter ate up all the leftovers by the next day (and she's 14! And usually wrinkles her nose at veggie foods). It might be a way to show them "easy" vegetarian. Can be vegan if you don't use dairy condiments. Easy peasy.

Vegetarian Taco Salad

½ onion, diced
1 package meatless ground (such as Yves brand)
1 package taco seasoning
1 can low-sodium corn
1 can black beans
1 can low-sodium diced tomatoes
1 small can diced roasted mild green chiles

Saute onion in a skillet that has been sprayed with soy lecithin (such as PAM brand). Keep heat at medium. Once onion has wilted and started carmelizing, add meatless ground. Saute about 1 minute. Add taco seasoning and mix. Add the next 4 ingredients, including liquids. Put heat on low and simmer until liquids reduce, about 5-10 minutes. Serve over salad or in tortillas or taco shells. Additional condiments can include chopped olives, cheese (or cheese substitute), avocado/guacamole, vegetarian refried beans, and sour cream (or sour cream substitute). Makes about 8 servings.
justducky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

The current favorite in our house is curried lentils. We have roasted broccoli and a salad with it, and it's thus far the only vegetarian dish DH begs me to make - every week. I don't really use a recipe, but here's *about* what I use. Spices, of course, can be altered to taste. I use poblanos even though they're not authentic, because they're DH's favorite pepper ever.

Curried Lentils

1 Cup Lentils
3 Cups Vegetable Stock
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 onion, diced
2 poblanos, diced
2-3 jalapenos, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbs cumin
2 tbs curry powder
1/2 - 1 tbs cayenne pepper
1 tbs tumeric
1 tbs coriander
1/2 cup light coconut milk

Saute the onions in olive oil until browned. Add peppers and cook until softened. Add garlic, cook until fragrant.
Add lentils, stock, seasonings, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until tender, about 25 minutes. Add
coconut milk. Serve over rice, if desired.

Last edited by bacilli; 05-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I googled this recipe and then re-read your post. I know this is a stew, but it's fantastic--if you have to cook them one eal a month for 6 months, save this one for the fall. It'll be totally worth it. http://planetgreen.discovery.com/foo...ganomicon.html

This is comfort food at its yummiest--it reminds me of chicken pot pie that my dad used to make. The biscuits are just the Best. Thing. Ever. If I could name my first child after this recipe I would (Cassoulet Marie has a nice ring to it, don't you think?).

When I first made it I used zucchini instead of peas and used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes for some extra-delicious nutrition. My version made enough for five quite-filling meals for one, and I would have eaten it a sixth time if I had had any left. Even if you don't make it for an auction meal, you should definitely make it for yourself!
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #6  
Dorm Dieter

Veggie Quesadilla

Basic Recipe, 2 servings

2 Large Flour Tortillas (1 per serving)
1c Queso Fresco, shredded*
Olive Oil or oil spray
1 c Vegetables*
Seasoning, to taste*

*Options Vary, see list below

Cheese: Monterey Jack, Colby, 'Mexican Blend' [you can also always add more cheese.]
Vegetables: Mushrooms, Bell Peppers, Pico de Gallo, Black Beans, Corn, Red Onion, white onion.
Spices: Cumin, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Salt, Pepper, Chipotle Chili Powder, Salsa

1. Dice and season the vegetables. Be mindful of the relative heat of the seasonings. It can get very hot very quickly.
2. Grease and heat a skillet over medium heat.
---- If you are going to cook the vegetables, lightly sautee them over the heat until they are lightly cooked, and still crunchy, but not floppy and brown. Remove vegetables to a bowl or plate.
3. Quickly warm one tortilla, flip when brown spots appear or pan starts smoking.
4. Sprinkle cheese generously. Let it melt slightly
5. Add toppings, generously.
6. Fold tortilla in half over the toppings and press down as the cheese melts. Flip and continue this on the other side.
7. Repeat steps 2-6 until all quesadillas are complete

Serve with beans (refried, or black) and rice.

This is a staple in my house, because it's so easy to make, and it's really really filling.Almost everything tastes good as a topping. The options are almost endless, but don't put broccoli or baby corn in there. Also, if you don't want to sautee the vegetables in oil, don't cook them. Steaming is a no-no, but raw vegetables, such as tomatoes or bell peppers and onions are just as good.

If you have leftover cheese you can put it on top of the side dish of beans as you plate it. It will melt and add a really good texture and taste the the beans. As for the quesadilla, a dollop pf sour cream, guacamole, or salsa really makes it special.

There's a whole bunch of more specific recipes on the internet, but the best advice I can give you is use what you've got at home with some cheese and some love. It'll come out alright.

I hope this is useful!
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thanks for all your great recipes! I was scheduled to deliver the meal May 23, but I had a family emergency. I asked a friend to call the family I was supposed to feed (I couldn't find their phone number), and instead she just took them dinner. Never did find out what she made, but I'm betting it wasn't meatless. Now I have some more ideas thanks to you all.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote