Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/239/140

Height: 5'4"

Talking Changing Tastebuds!

Okay, so I decided to give soy milk a try again -- the last time I tried it was several years ago, and I gagged on the taste. Honestly, I thought it was awful.

Well, I picked up Silk Very Vanilla and a small bottle of Silk Chocolate to give them a try again, and....yay! They were actually pretty good! The Very Vanilla was...well, very vanilla-sweet, but I was afraid to try regular because I knew I didn't like it before, and I figured I like vanilla flavor, so it might be tolerable.

I was very pleasantly surprised that this is as good as it is when I remember really not liking it before, and I'm thinking it might be easier than I suspected to cut down on lacto-products if I can get used to changes like this.

(I'm currently cutting out flesh completely, still lacto-ovo, but planning on phasing those out significantly as well).
Betony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Mmmm I love soy milk and did years before going vegan but I'd agree that our taste buds do change over time.
What are you having trouble giving up otherwise? There are a few good cheese subs out there but I'd honestly recommend just giving up cheese for a few weeks w/o any subs and then see if you are really even craving it. Tofu Scramble is an excellant remake of scrambed eggs and replacing eggs in baking is easy peasy.
If you're ready to make that step just ask questions, there are many vegetarians and vegans on here that can help you with the sometimes more tricky areas.

Good luck!
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #3  
Shooting for the moon

S/C/G: 210/151/140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I seem to remember hating plain soy milk when I last tried it (years ago) but I actually like the plain Silk I bought this week. I got the Very Vanilla for my kids to try. My son (7) thought it was too sweet to drink but my daughter (2) liked it quite a bit! I don't think I'll be getting that kind again though since it has so much sugar.
Thin4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #4  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

My taste buds have definitely changed over the years. Foods I once loved are now way too salty. My family picks on me and tells me that I'm salt sensitive and they don't think it's normal. Riiight, I think eating foods with insane amounts of sodium isn't normal.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You might also like Almond Milk, I like that even better than Soy....
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #6  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I love Silk Soy Original., I also like Rice Dream. Haven't tried the Almond one yet.
My taste buds have certainly changed over the past year, and i am very glad they have. Things i used to love, like chips and sugary stuff, i don't like anymore, and that's a good thing.
These days I cook foods like quinoa, blugar, couscous, collard greens, spinach, and such, and my friends think i am weird. Needless to say, not many friends want to come to my house for dinne, just more good foods for me.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #7