Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Veg News Mac n Cheese

I'm actually thinking of making this soon. Its 6 WW points although I'm thinking of lightening up on the bread crumbs and using WW panko instead and substituting cauliflower instead of potatoes and not sure what to do about the margarine, perhaps lighten up on it a bit? I'll probably also use WW pasta of some type.

http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/...Id=40&catId=10
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sounds good. I've been wanting to try a nut-based "cheese." I don't if the margarine is even needed, but I haven't done a lot of breaded things.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Ok so I decided to do it.

I decided to double the recipe but once I cooked all the pasta, I thought it was too much pasta. So instead of doubling the pasta, I kept it as is. I then added a bag (4 cups) of frozen broccoli that I cooked in the microwave. I also had 3 cups of frozen cauliflower so i also precooked that in the microwave.

As for the sauce, I used 1 tbsp of earth balance and kept everything else the same except I added 1/2 cup of butternut squash puree to replace the earth balance. Also I didn't follow the directions in regards to how much water to use to cook the veggies so I added the veggies to the food processor and added some of the veggie water until I thought it had a decent consistency. So then I mixed the veggies, pasta and the sauce together and put it into an 11x13 casserole dish. Instead of bread crumbs, I sprinkled some whole wheat panko (10 grams or 1/8th cup) on top along with some paprika.

Anyway it came out to 4 WW points and is pretty darn good
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #4  
it's always something

It sounds good! Except the part about cauliflower I might have to give this a shot, too
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #5  

My vegan friend recently made this (I think it was the same one) and she was disappointed by the first go-round cuz it dried out too much in the oven, so the next time she just made the sauce and mixed it in with the lightly steamed veggies & preferred it that way rather than baked with the bread crumbs.

Last edited by K8-EEE; 02-11-2009 at 12:54 PM.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #6  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

i made vegan dad's mac n cheese this week and it was scrumdittlyumptious!!!

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06...nd-cheeze.html

i followed everything to the T except i didn't have sunflower seeds on hand. it was soooo good y'all.
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote