Old 01-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #1  
Dorm Dieter

Red face Going back to Veggies?

I recently broke my vow of vegetables, and began eating meat around Thanksgiving. I really want to go back to my ovo-lacto diet, just because I liked it so much, but I'm having trouble. In the two short months that I've been an omnivore, I've gotten so used to the convenience of being able to just 'grab something' that i find myself just 'grabbing something' with meat in it!

This is so much harder than when I first changed, because my parents were supporting me the whole way. Now they think I'm doing it to help lose weight. I'm really not. my weight didn't change much at all while I was on the diet, even though i did my best to eat right.

Has anyone had trouble making the transition back? I need some advice if you've got it .
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I go back and forth all of the time. I get sucked into the convenience too. We just don't cook meat in the house (I will barbq in the summer sometimes) and we have also been not eating out very much in trying to save money. I guess that is my way of not eating meat. It's not fool proof though.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

If you're veg*n for ethical reasons then it shouldn't be a hard thing to stick too - do you compromise on your other ethical beliefs? If you're approching it as a diet then it's like any other diet, that which you can't have is more tempting. See similar thread here.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:20 AM   #4  
Dorm Dieter

I'm not a vegan nor am I interested in that way of life, because I think it's really a serious undertaking. I mean, my parents said if I was doing this just to lose weight why don't I go vegan? (imagine this in a taunting voice) and I really don't think that's something anyone should just do. It takes serious beliefs and commitment to that way of living. Whoever can keep up with that, more power to ya!

I'm going back to lacto-ovo, which means I'll only be cutting out flesh and flesh products from my diet. This is what makes it hard because I'm not doing it to be 'ethical', i just don't prefer eating meat all of the time. Unfortunately, it's just easier to grab something with meat.

Last edited by huggamouse; 01-09-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Veg*n is an abbreviation to describe any vegetarian or vegan diet
Do your homework - there are plenty of resources on the web that will give you ideas on easy and nutrious snacks.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I went vegan for health reasons, not ethical. I didn't have a tough time with the transition. I basically stopped all animal products the day after I finished reading "Eat to Live". There have been some "slips" with some items (such as chocolate and pancakes) but overall I've been following a vegan diet for a little over a year.

I don't really have any issues in just grabbing something because I do have lots of stuff readily available that is vegan. I buy veggies, I buy beans, I buy 'fake meats' for the rare occasion that I eat them, I keep nuts and dried fruit on hand, etc.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #7  
Dorm Dieter

I don't have the money to buy anything like snack really. But I live pretty well off of my dining plan,(i can smuggle fruit, cereal, oatmeal, etc out without a problem) it's the meals that bother me. I have a hard time avoiding the meat, since it's generally pretty good eats. I've got to learn to resist again. any one have fairy dust?

Last edited by huggamouse; 01-09-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM   #8  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

it sounds like your torturing yourself, you have to be able to live with your decision to maintain your health and such so maybe being a vegetarian just isn't for you. You shouldn't have to struggle with it so much it should be natural so maybe you'd be better off finding healthier ways to eat that include meat.
good luck with whatever you choose!
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:14 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 147/144/120

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggamouse View Post
I'm not a vegan nor am I interested in that way of life, because I think it's really a serious undertaking. I mean, my parents said if I was doing this just to lose weight why don't I go vegan? (imagine this in a taunting voice) and I really don't think that's something anyone should just do. It takes serious beliefs and commitment to that way of living. Whoever can keep up with that, more power to ya!

I'm going back to lacto-ovo, which means I'll only be cutting out flesh and flesh products from my diet. This is what makes it hard because I'm not doing it to be 'ethical', i just don't prefer eating meat all of the time. Unfortunately, it's just easier to grab something with meat.
I guess I'm confused what the issue actually is. If this isn't an ethical choice, but rather an issue of just preferring not to eat meat, why not just approach it the way you'd approach anything you'd rather not eat? Why is that your preference? Is it a taste reason, a health reason, or a diet reason?

If you can clearly articulate to yourself why you don't want to do something, then you can make a plan to avoid it (or, if you'd rather--minimize it). I prefer not to eat Fritos because I don't like them, so I never eat them. I'd rather not eat a dinner of just french fries (for diet reasons, despite the fact that I love to have a dinner of french fries) so I choose not to do that by making sure that I have other options available and reminding myself that I don't want to do it. I refuse to eat animals products, so it just never happens. In which category is your preference? Trying to force yourself to NEVER do something when you don't really see a reason to not do it is a path to failure.
betsysunqueen is offline   Reply With Quote