Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Default Weeding through my cabinets

Okay this may be a dumb question but I'm still figuring out what all I'm going to have to weed out to be truly vegan and will likely be bugging you guys to death - sorry!

Lactic Acid - I'm assuming this is a milk product due to the "lactic" part but not 100% sure?
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #2  
it's always something

Good question! I found an entry in Wiki that might help

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid

Quote:
Lactic acid is primarily found in sour milk products, such as: koumiss, leban, yogurt, kefir and some cottage cheeses. The casein in fermented milk is coagulated (curdled) by lactic acid.

Although it can be fermented from lactose (milk sugar), most commercially used lactic acid is derived by using bacteria such as Bacillus acidilacti, Lactobacillus delbueckii or Lactobacillus bulgaricus to ferment carbohydrates from nondairy sources such as cornstarch, potatoes and molasses. Thus, although it is commonly known as "milk acid", vegan products can contain lactic acid as an ingredient.

Lactic acid may also be found in various processed foods, usually either as a pH adjusting ingredient, or as a preservative (either as antioxidant or for control of pathogenic micro-organisms). It may also be used as a fermentation booster in rye and sourdough breads.[2]

Lactic acid is also present in wheat beers, especially lambic, due to the activity of Pediococcus damnosus.[3]

Lactic acid is widely used for inhibiting pathogenic bacteria like E.coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter and Listeria on animal carcasses like beef, pork and poultry during the slaughtering process.

Potassium lactate, sodium lactate and calcium lactate are the neutralized salts of lactic acid. Potassium lactate is used in many fresh and cooked meat products for shelf life control, color preservation and reduction of sodium content. Sodium lactate has a mild saline taste and is therefore suitable for flavour enhancement in meat products as well. Sodium lactate is being produced as liquids as well as powders. Calcium lactate is popular for fortification and improved texture in emulsified meat products like frankfurters.[4]
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #3  

So I guess it's going to depend on each individual product. They can't make this too easy hmm? Thanks Suzanne!

Last edited by Fat Chick B Gone; 05-07-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I don't know if you've already seen this list, but PeTA has a list of "I can't believe it's vegan" foods that are helpful right at first, too. Lots of stuff I assumed WOULDN'T be, is! http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

Also this site is helpful: http://www.caringconsumer.com/info_consumers.asp

(I'm got some issues with PeTA as an organization, but these two sites offer good info for new vegans I think.)
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #5  

Thanks Josephine! I had looked at the PETA list (yeah not sure where I stand with them - some very mixed emotions) and was shocked also. The Caring Consumer site - the animal testing companies do/don't list is frightening. I'm ashamed to admit how many of those products are in my home.
Live, learn and change I suppose.