Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #1  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Talking Skinny B**** Please read =]

OMG!!!! I LOVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEE this book!!
I'm so happy I picked it up!! I'm making my Mom, best friends, and significant other read it!! lol
Not only that... since I read the book I have ate all vegan and DON'T want to eat bad things at all!!! I'm like on a cloud! I'm so happy I read this book!

I can totally see why some people hate it, with the whole 'sailor talk' lol if you know what I mean.. but I don't mind it, plus there is so many benefits and knowledge!

I'm so HAPPY =]

As a magazine wrote about the book... "What makes this diet easy to swallow is the book's tough-love attitude — part best-friend counsel, part drill-sergeant abuse and a dash of sailor mouth, wrapped in a pretty chick-lit package.”
I totally agree.

If you havn't read this and you are interested here is a link to a site where you can read a portion of the book FREE!

http://books.google.com/books?id=4Jb...=title#PPP1,M1

Also here's their site, if you're interested.

http://skinny*****.net/index.html

VEGAN here I come!! I can't wait to learn about all my new foods! Plus the last few days even though I've been eating vegan, I've found delicious things to eat!! It can be done =] Yay.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 150/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7''

really, you liked it. OK, i think I'll give it another try. i bought it months ago and read the first little bit but got annoyed. I see it on my bookshelf now. I'll read some tonight before bed
i am still trying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am still trying View Post
really, you liked it. OK, i think I'll give it another try. i bought it months ago and read the first little bit but got annoyed. I see it on my bookshelf now. I'll read some tonight before bed
Agreed. Jill Nicole, you inspired me to buy this last night. And I have to say, most of it just seems like common sense. I totally agree with the chick lit bit, and it has it's moments where it's funny, but I sort of feel like these two women think they have figured out something the rest of us don't already know. So I guess I feel like they come off a little condescending. I am going to keep reading it, though. There are a few helpful little bits of knowledge. I'll read more in the bath tonight. I am glad you liked it, and, again, I am inspired to keep reading.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #4  

I didn't really feel strongly about it one way or another, but I'm not really the audience they're going for, I guess. Sort of preaching to the choir. I did feel like it was a little patronizing and...yeah, condescending...at times. I'm a big fan of obscenities, but sometimes it felt really overdone. But whatever gets the word out, ya know?
Modjeska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 AM   #5  
Progress not perfection

IM STILL TRYING.... Good Thanks! I personally think it;s more powerful if you read like half at once lol.... but obviously not all of us are stuck on a plane for 5 hours!!!

MAMASPANK... aww thank you so much, that makes me happy! I know what you mean about the women... I think they're trying to be funny and give facts, so I guess I just dont mind. I actually didn't know a lot of this information! I;m blown away by some of it actually... I guess I was the type of person that just didn't think about it or look into it, and my parents ate unhealthy so they never really gave me this type of info.

MODJESKA... I didn't want to give the book a chance because I didn't want to be pushed into a different lifestyle, so it's so crazy that I loved it lol. And even crazier that I now want to be vegan!! Yeah I feel like there are more books on these subjects, so whatever catches someones eye is great! It's awesome feeling more knowledgeable about what I'm putting in my body.

So just so yall know.. I'm totally not the type of person who trys to 'push' something on others but I'm just so happy that I wanted to share the smile!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 05:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 177/161/140

Height: 5"8

I read it and LOVED it!
Yeah it is common sense at the end of the day but once in awhile you need that kick/ reminder and its a good booste!
I dont think all the swearing etc is neccesary but the idea of it is good!
Im just getting back into my vegan things, it feels fantastic. Supposedly weight is sposed to drop off but there is still unhealthy vegan food too, or the fact something like fries and coke is still vegan so you have to chose healthily!
Plus im starting weight watchers from home and apparantly vegan food is good when it comes to points or something!
Good luck with your vegan journey, youll feel so much better

Dark Angel Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I think there was a discussion about this previously. It is a book I'll never read.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #8  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

I read it and I liked it, as mentioned before I don't think they needed to swear quite as much as they did but I still think its a good read- and whatever it takes to get the point across- I think they went overboard- I guess its about like the way I feel about PETA... they go way over teh top- but they have a point and get it across.

also, just want to mention that I don't believe Coke is vegan- I could be wrong, but I don't believe most sugar is vegan because of its bleaching and refining process...
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #9  
Just Me

Yeah we had a discussion about PETA not too long ago either. I am numb to what PETA has to say because of their tactics.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #10  
Progress not perfection

DARK ANGEL... Yeah I definitley needed that kick!!! For sure. I like that she didn't just talk about vegan facts, she also gave facts about good carbs/bad carbs and sugar and everything... and it's crazy how there really are healthy substitutes for everything. It's so wonderful.. and thank you!! Good luck with WW I like the points system.

NELLIE... I'm not sure if you thought my Heading said Skinny B- Read it! as in read the book... I meant read my post lol but yeah I realize it's not for everyone but some books I try to read are only factual and I get bored.. so I'm glad there is different versions for different personalities. I love your mottos!

RDW... Yeah they def. got the point across to me, and word of mouth is crazy these days so it's nice that people like me, who have never been taught those sort of things can actually know! I don't drink soda...where did it say something about coke? lol
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw1 View Post
also, just want to mention that I don't believe Coke is vegan- I could be wrong, but I don't believe most sugar is vegan because of its bleaching and refining process...

Classic coke is vegan (healthy? - that's another topic ). It has corn syrup not sugar. You are correct some sugar is refined using bone char. Raw sugar and some bleached sugars are vegan.

Back on topic - I'm waiting for this book to come into the library. It's preaching to the choir for me also but so many people ask me about that I feel I need to read it to give an ethical vegan's opinion on it.

Last edited by Fat Chick B Gone; 09-05-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #12  
Progress not perfection

FAT CHICK B GONE
Wow that's right! Good info. I can't wait to try Stevia and Agave Nectar
Old 09-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #13  
Just Me

jillnicole - I am glad if it helps you on your journey and I'm sure many people do like the book but from what I've read, I don't personally have an interest. Also, I think that if you feel good about yourself and what you eat, its a good thing. Although from what I've read of the cookbook, they promote a lot of processed junk and although there are junk food vegans (it sounds fun), I think there has to be a balance between the processed stuff and the easy/cheap non processed stuff.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #14  
Progress not perfection

NELIE... Thankyou, and I totally understand I havn't read the cook book I was going to take a look at it next time I'm at the store but I'm suprised they would push the unhealthy stuff... from what I read in the original book not the Kitchen addition, pretty much everythign was healthy. Teh only things that were kind of junk/snacks they mentioned.. I felt like they mentioned to let you know you do have the option of still having your favorites (cookies, cheese, icecream etc) just in a new vegan friendly way. You know? But please if you do have anything you would suggest me not eating... I'm all ears! So far since Tuesday I feel I've ate pretty darn healthy! And I've been looking up how to get calcium, protein and all the vitamins you need from other foods I didn't realize had it, which is actually fun so far. I've ate lots of fruits, vegetables, soy milk smoothies, veggie sandwiches on whole wheat, vegetable soup and chili
Old 09-05-2008, 06:42 PM   #15  
Progress not perfection

Oh and within the week I'm going to try hummus and lentils, which I've never had, but definitley excited to add to the list of good foods... so hopefully I like!