Old 11-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Veg*n diets and the effect on your cycle

Of course I think it is too early to tell but I have been animal product free for about a month. In the month I lost 23 lbs. TOM still isn't completely over so I'm not sure if there is any extra pounds that will disappear in the next couple days. I have weighed the same every day through TOM and didn't gain a single pound due to it.

Ever since I was young, I've had horrible TOMs. The pill helps control some of that but still it is a week of dread for me. This week has been surprisingly pleasant.

1) No cramps
2) No headaches
3) No weight gain
4) No emotional effects (DH usually dreads this week)
5) Normal flow
6) Only a few days long

So it has me wondering if the hormones in animal products have been effecting me all these years. I know it has only been a month but I am just amazed.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

The weight loss itself could be helping you as well. I know you've lost a lot already, but that extra 23 pounds might have been helpful as well in getting rid of some of those TOM symptoms you listed.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #3  
it's always something

I don't have cycles, so I can't comment there. But I have noticed a large increase in energy whenever I've stuck to a vegan'ish diet. (can't give up fish oil).

I think the body is just happier
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Question

HIJACK Um, Nelie, what's with the "*"? Is "vegan" a naughty word? END HIJACK
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #5  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

A LOT of raw/vegan people have that same sentiment. With some, their periods were downright negligible. I've read in a few places that we are not naturally supposed to menstruate as often as we do with that many symptoms. What the validity to that is is up for debate, but I can certainly get on board with that.

Personally, I knew too many girls in high school (including me) that were hospitalized for things like ruptured cysts and what-not. I know that when I have children, their diets will be as hormone free as I can manage. I can't ignore a possible connection there.

Last edited by junebug41; 11-20-2007 at 12:27 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #6  
Just Me

Mod,
It could be the weight loss but one thing I didn't mention is whenever I have a large weight loss in a short period of time, TOM goes haywire and badly. The worst weeks do tend to be the weeks where I'm actively losing as opposed to the weeks where I'm maintaining.

Another, I meant it to be vegan or vegetarianish or just the general limit/don't eat animal products set of diets

Junebug, also the other interesting thing is when I read The China Study and there was indication that our diet is causing us to start puberty earlier and that girls in China hit puberty in their late teens. I started when I was 9... Of course now I know early puberty is a risk factor for certain cancers which doesn't worry me because I can't change that but I can change my diet.

Suzanne, I am still taking glucosamine... shhh
Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #7  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Wow, nelie, ETL seems to be treating you really well! I've never had horrible periods, especially since I've been on the pill I would say they fall in the "negligible" category. But that's great, if it's working for you keep at it. And that is amazing weight loss for one month, go you! You have me *this close* to actually reading all the way through ETL and trying it out. Maybe I'll do 6 weeks after new years, there aren't too many holidays to throw me off in there, just my b-day and if I wanna eat vegetables and beans on my b-day then no one gets to argue.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #8  

Same things happen to me. Yeah!
luja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 AM   #9  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
There are vegan/vegetarian glucosamine supplements. Do you mean chondroitin?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #10  
Just Me

Oh maybe it is the chrondrotin. I checked my pill bottle and it said shellfish in it. When it is time to buy a new bottle, I'll look and see if there are better options.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Mod,
It could be the weight loss but one thing I didn't mention is whenever I have a large weight loss in a short period of time, TOM goes haywire and badly. The worst weeks do tend to be the weeks where I'm actively losing as opposed to the weeks where I'm maintaining.

Another, I meant it to be vegan or vegetarianish or just the general limit/don't eat animal products set of diets

Junebug, also the other interesting thing is when I read The China Study and there was indication that our diet is causing us to start puberty earlier and that girls in China hit puberty in their late teens. I started when I was 9... Of course now I know early puberty is a risk factor for certain cancers which doesn't worry me because I can't change that but I can change my diet.

I just wanted to note that I bought the China Study this past week, along with Omnivore's Dilemma and I'm absolutely captivated by them. My dad is a member of a vegetarian society in Houston and had lunch with the author of The China Study last year. He said he had some interesting things to say about the possibility of class action lawsuits over the next few years against the Dept of Ag, the Dairy and Beef Councils, etc...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM   #12