Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #1  

Default Is There a HIGH PROTEIN VEGETARIAN diet?

I'm a carb fanatic, and being veg, it seems to go with the territory. But I would like to try more protein and less carbs. I don't eat eggs or drink milk, but I like cheese (it's just so high in fat!). Nibbling on tofu or seitan doesn't really satisfy, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried any other veggie protein diets. Thanks
Grasshoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

There are all sorts of protein powders that don't have egg and are vegetarian.

The "Zone" diet is easily made vegetarian, even if you don't eat cheese. What are your intended ranges (calories/carbohydrates/fats)?
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulBliss View Post
There are all sorts of protein powders that don't have egg and are vegetarian.

The "Zone" diet is easily made vegetarian, even if you don't eat cheese. What are your intended ranges (calories/carbohydrates/fats)?
I'll have to check out the Zone diet. I don't know anything about it. My intended range is 1200 to 1500 cals, but I'm not sure about the carbs except I want them to be moderately low. Fats I like to keep between three and six grams in a serving. I was trying to think of a high protein food that has more of a 'meal' feel than a protein powder, but I'll certainly look into them. Thanks for the tip!
Grasshoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #4  
Mel

I was just researching non-dairy, gluten-free and egg free protein powders for someone with a lot of food sensitivities. I knew about hemp protein powder made by Nutiva, but was surprised to find a protein powder based entirely on brown rice. It comes in several flavors- so explore beyond this link a little to find the others.

I haven't tried either of them. The hemp is higher calorie for the amount of protein, but the rice looks promising in my view. I know you can buy the rice based one in single serving packets, so you might want to try that before buying a tub of anything

Most powders suggest mixing with milk, but a blender or hand blender, water, and an ice cube or two work well. Add 1/2 a frozen banana or a few frozen strawberries and most protein powders make a delicious shake.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 PM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

As far as just foods are concerned, the usual vegetarian foods (eggs lowfat cheese, cottage cheese) will be low in fat and high in protein. Seitan and tofu are great too. You say that those don't work for you, so you'll have to resort to supplementing if you don't want to eat more fat (cheeses) or more carbohydrates (most veg proteins except eggs, which you don't like).

As far as supplemental proteins are concerned, hemp protein powder is my first pick (Nutiva brand especially). I've used the rice as well as the pea protein powders too.

Here's a list of ones I have tried and like for their nutritional value and palatability (note I didn't say they were delicious, although a few are! )

The first one is a whole food, sprouted quinoa and assorted powerhouse foods ground up. It is pricey and not too delicious but it is really nutritious!

The Ultimate Life - The Ultimate Meal

Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Powder

Nutiva® HempShakes™

Living Harvest Hemp Protein Powder and shakes

Vegan Complete Meal Replacement Protein Powder by Pure Advantage

NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder

Pure Advantage Pea Protein

Kashi Go Lean Shake in Vanilla

SoyPro Protein Powder

This thread discusses protein powders too.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...er#post1393373

Last edited by SoulBliss; 10-04-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:06 AM   #6  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I can relate to your question, Grasshoppa. As a cheese lover, the only reduced fat cheese I have found that tastes as good and sharp as a regular full fat cheese is KerryGold reduced fat sharp cheddar. Trader Joe's reduced fat Irish or Celtic cheddar (I forgot what they call it exactly) is almost as good. Mostly I eat goat cheese, goat yogurt, and drink reduced-fat goat milk.
As far as something other than milk/cheese: I recently tried "Quorn." It is not soy-based but fungus-based, but does not taste mushroom-like. Very mild, but not as mild as tofu.
I also eat legumes and whole grains frequently.
You might need to design your own diet based on your preferences, as I have, which is kind of fun really!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:23 AM   #7  
Finding My Bliss

Spinymouse, unfortunately, Quorn has eggs and he doesn't like eggs, so that's why I didn't suggest it . (Re: goat cheese, I SO wish there was a vegan product that mimicked THAT flavor!!!).
Old 10-11-2007, 01:37 AM   #8  
ViolinCyndee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
I'm a carb fanatic, and being veg, it seems to go with the territory. But I would like to try more protein and less carbs. I don't eat eggs or drink milk, but I like cheese (it's just so high in fat!). Nibbling on tofu or seitan doesn't really satisfy, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried any other veggie protein diets. Thanks
You are correct that 'nibbling on' tofu or seitan doens't satisfy but......COOKING with tofu and seitan does.

I make seitan in many diff ways:
-Indian-spiced, broiled
-Mexican-spiced, fajitas
-broiled with BBQ sauce, good in a 4" ww pita too
-in the crockpot with: carrots, celery, potato, beans, red wine, herbs

Same with tofu... tons of yummy ways to make it!
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 258/216/160

Height: 5'10"

I try to eat more than 50 grams of protein per day. I am not strictly vegetarian but close. Preferably I would like to eat 80 grams but that much is tough on a plant based diet.

Consider:

Sprouted wheat bread (5 grams)

Boca vegan pattie (10 grams) - also nearly every variety of veg pattie has this much protein.

Beans - 6 to 9 grams per half cup

Blackeyed peas - 7 grams per half cup

Edamame - 8 grams per half cup

And so forth. Try keeping track of your daily protein and see if that helps you make food choices. Good luck!
RachelM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:00 PM   #10  
BabyFatBeGone

S/C/G: 163/145/130

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Default Indian diet

Hi,

I am from India and have been vegetarian since birth. Indian diet is more carb centric but now I have tried to make increase the protein content in my diet. A few things I would like to say about adding protein is to add more legumes to your diet. You can find a variety of them in an Indian store such as

Moong daal (green legume)
red lentils
Toor dal (pigeon peas)
black eyed peas etc.

Here is a recipe that I like
Red Lentil Daal
1 cup red lentils
2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped onion
Jalapeno chilli
1 Tomato chopped
Cumin
Ginger
1 tbsp oil
salt
Chopped cilantro for garnish

In a pan, add the 1bsp oil. Once it is slightly heated, all the cumin seeds. Once the cumin seeds start to sputter, add chopped onion, ginger, and chilles. Saute till the oinons become transparent. Add the chopped tomato. Add the red lentils, water, and salt. Cook on medium for about 15-20 minutes. Add more water if the dish is too thick. Once the lentils are cooked you are done! You can add chopped cilantro to garnish. you can add some garam masala (found in indian stores) if you want to make it spicy.

The qty for water/salt/chillies are approx and you can adjust based on your preferences. you can eat this dish with tortiallas or just as soup!

I also make the exact same dish but with Whole Moong daal for a different taste.
BabyFatGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #11  
Reformed carb abuser

S/C/G: 222/193/150

Height: 5'4"

these are the foods i normally eat that are vegetarian and are my source of protien
the lower down on the list means more carbs, less fibre, lower protien to calorie ratio, etc

low fat process cheese
soy protien
egg 2 whites 1 egg (omlets)
hard boiled egg (devilied eggs)
source apple crumble yougrat
mozzarella cheese
Yves vege chicken burger
feta cheese
Yves vege ground round
sour cream light
Yves breakfast links
Chapmans light yougart/sobert
potato and cheese pergoies
soya Peanut butter icecream
Source choco cherry yougart
swiss low fat cheese
parmeson cheese
tofu
light tofu spread
cottage cheese
motappa (lentil spread)
cheese curds (mmmm homemade poutine)
protien bar
tatzaiki
spinach artichoke dip
chick peas
low fat peanut butter
eggplant/olive hummus
Presidents Choice light hot choco
low fat soya milk
refried beans (great for breakfast)
pumpkin seeds
oat bran hot cereal
cheese pizza
vegetarian chinese dumplings
matar-paneer
homemade fried rice (peas/egg)

Last edited by OneGirlArmy; 01-02-2008 at 02:30 PM.
OneGirlArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 428/338/185

Height: 5'6"

The Schwarzbein Principle diet has a good vegetarian cookbook that is higher protein/moderate carb based. The Schwarzbein Principle 2 has vegetarian menu plans for as few as 15gms carbs/meal with menu plans in 15 gm increments up to 45 per meal. Don't forget that nuts and nut butters are excellent sources of protein too.
Stephaniek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:30 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

That Daal sounds delicious! Thanks!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote