UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 111/95/90 (kg)

Height: 5ft 6in

Default Binge eating disorder

Hello
My GP has diagnosed me with this, and I am being referred to a support group for eating disorders. She says that what Im experiencing is just like bulimia, except I dont make myself sick. Ive been looking at the Overeaters Anonymous site, but I am put off by the religious context.
My worst time for bingeing is late at night, when I am alone and bored. During the day, I manage to eat healthily. This week I have been ok though, because I have to fit into my wedding dress, but once the wedding is over Im scared of a relapse. I have lost weight so many times before, only to put it back on (and more) once my motivation has gone.
Has anyone here got any experience of this?
kalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:43 PM   #2  
something witty

Hi kalijack!

Yes I've experienced binge eating disorder- and big-time! You're not alone in this.

I gathered from your posts that you have an extensive diet history. So did I- in fact I am POSITIVE that my bingeing disorder was brought on by dieting. I went on an endless cycle of diet-binge, diet-binge. I considered OA, but the religiousness of it put me off as well- plus, I thought abstinence was really no different than the diets I was already trying to adhere to. But it seems to work well for others here...

I recommend you look into Intuitive eating- there's a thread about it in the "General diet plans" section. Basically it's an anti-diet: it asks you to trust the wisdom of your body to know what to eat and when you've had enough of it. I started out with Geneen Roth's books, and at first I thought: no way, maybe some other people can do intuitive eating, but I can't, I'm broken, I just go nuts around food! But I kept coming back to them and the message started to sink in, and now I can say I'm binge-free. It didn't happen that quickly, but the peace I have now was well worth the years of effort.

When you say you eat healthitly during the day, how many calories do you consume? It's very possible you're under eating during the day and overcompensating at night.

Good luck in your efforts!

p.s. I don't work for Geneen Roth, although maybe I should considering the amount of times I recommend her books.
linki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #3  

Hi Linki
Yes I do starve myself during the day. I seem to do this on purpose which is really awful of me, but I cant seem to stop myself. I also sometimes take laxatives to purge myself. I have my first appointment with the eating disorders group on 27 October.
Thanks for the tip on the books, I am going to order them from Amazon.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #4  

It's a drag you have to wait a month for the support group I do binge on stuff like crisps so I try not to buy them. I think half my fat may be from crisps actually!
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #5  

I try to avoid crisps like the plague. Problem is that my bf sometimes buys the multipacks, and one packet is never enough
I should count myself lucky that they are seeing me next month. They originally told me I would have to wait until February next year, but they called me the other day cos they've had a cancellation!