UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/162/119

Default Hello

Hi everyone,

I have just joined this forum, and have posted on the new members board, so i hope people don't mind me posting virtually the same thing here as well.

I'm from (near) Oxford. I want to loose 55lbs. I came to the realisation last week, that at 176lbs (my heaviest weight ever) and only being 5'2" my BMI now puts me officially in the Obese category. I have been steadily putting on weight since I was 16, and like many others I have dieted, then put it all back on and more so many times. I keep setting goals and then giving it all up or ignoring what I should be doing hoping that the weight will just magically go away. But now I am really upset and I think I have finally reached the point where I am going to finally do something about it. At Christmas, I wanted to be down to 133lbs by mid July when my baby sister graduates from college, and down to my ideal weight of 117lbs by mid October. Instead I have put on 7lbs! So after getting rid of all the junk food in the house (alas by eating it!) I have started to eat proper healthy meals, and I am now walking every day and cycling as much as I can. It is hard work, especially dealing with cravings, but I have lost 1lb in the last week

I just want to say a big congratulations to every one out there who is managing to make such big life changes, and I hope that I can be one of you.
Pachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #2  

Default hiya!

welcome.... and congrats on making the change...

where bouts in oxford.. i used to live in wantage now in london!

ive lost 30lb over the last 9 or so weeks... quite pleased.. lots to go yet tho.. but going in the right direction...

better go n do some work !.. just thought i would say hi..

talk soon
lou x
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #3  

Welcome to the forum Pachyderm.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #4  

Thanks for the welcome.

Lou1978, I'm actually from Wallingford, and I have many happy memories of the cinema in Wantage from when I was a kid!

Good on you for loosing all that weight so quickly - keep it up
Old 06-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

Helloooo Pachyderm
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:02 PM   #6  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Hi
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:55 AM   #7  

ahh the cinema.. went there a few times.. was amused at the old style tickets bit short on leg room tho lol...

i used to work @ the JR...

my wt is coming of well.. following slimming world.. i did weight watchers b4 lost about 3.5stone.. took me ages.. and ive put all that on (and some grr) so keeping at it....

better go.. gota get on!..
lx
Old 06-02-2006, 12:39 PM   #8  

Hey Lou1978, I am going to try to get a job at the JR next year! What did you do there?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello Pachyderm!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #10  

Hi there
Well I know how you feel - it feels like a ongoing battle. I am plodding along slowly...

What diet program are you on? I have tried all of them and need some guidance!
Hope to hear from you soon!

Good luck with the weightloss future!!

lyds39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #11  

im a paeds nurse.... worked on 4C... and PICU...
what do u do?

pm me if u need to know anything etc.....
Old 06-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #12  

Hi again everyone. I have lost 3lbs this week That makes 4lb in total since I started

YP1 - My god you are fantastic. How you get to the point where you can run a half marathon, and think about doing a marathon in September... You must be so pleased with yourself for such an achievement. Well done!

Lyds39 - I'm just on a healthy eating diet. I've tried Rosemary Conley's Hip and Thigh diet, but I just felt so tired all the time. I've tried calorie counting and just gave up with the effort. I have never tried WW or any other kind of organised diet programme, but I don't think that I could face the public weigh-in. Slim Fast, or meal replacements just isn't for me as I still want to eat real food, even if I have had the right number of calories. So now I'm eating healthily. My typical daily diet is:

Breakfast: Porridge (microwavable)
After morning walk: 1/2 glass of semi-skimmed milk (if I remember)
Snack mid-morning (if I remember): Some dried cranberries and blueberries
Lunch: Pasta salad/bean salad/salad with a bit of meat/ham sandwich with an apple
Snack (if I remember): 1 piece of malt-loaf
Evening meal: fish/lean meat/small piece of quiche etc with lots of vegetables. Low Fat Organic Probiotic Yoghurt and a mandarin

I don't know how many calories I am actually eating though. As you can see, I do have difficulties remembering to have my snacks, so sometimes I am starving by the time I get round to having my next meal. I have my 1/2 glass of milk because I read about how having something with protein in it is good after exercise because it reduces muscle fatigue the next day.

I am currently walking about 4 miles per day with my dogs (for about a week and a half). Since Sunday I have started to jog two short sections of the walk (about 600 metres in total) and this is enough to leave me completely breathless. My exercise aim is to be able to walk/run in the morning and still have time to cycle 6.5 miles to work afterwards. Then I would like to take various routes home, leading up to extending my daily cycling to possibly 20-30 miles per week-day. I know this aim sounds crazy, but I would love to be fit enough that I don't even really have to think about exercise. To go somewhere beautiful and just think, "I'll go for a long walk/bike ride", or be able to run around in the fields playing with the dogs without feeling breathless and exhausted.

Lou1978 - I currently work as an Administrator for a small charity that helps people who are unemployed or on low incomes, but I really want to go back to college and do the graduate entry course to become a doctor. I have always thought of becoming a doctor, but just like with my weight, I have always sabotaged my dreams. I didn't have the grades to do medicine after school because I didn't work at all, with a similar experience at uni. Now with what basically amounts to an entrance exam, and taking account of previous life-experiences, I am hoping to finally get my motivation going to make such big life changes. I want to lose weight, get fitter, start working on my science subjects so I can pass that exam, and get a job in the JR so that I can show a commitment to medicine when I make my application. I'm already looking for voluntary work that I can do alongside my current job until I leave it in October to go travelling for 7 months (another dream). I just hope that I can keep up with all these changes!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:44 AM   #13  
Bling it on

Hello and welcome! Well done on your weighloss so far. This is a great forum for lots of friendly banter, advice and support.
I am following the cambridge diet at the mo. I have lost 33lbs so far but it is hard going at times (like today when I want a cheeseburger or three!). xx
pinklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #14  

oooo sure u will get there... lots of change is good sometimes...
bit o voluntary work wont go amiss.... there is plenty.. maybe even as HCA ... so u can get some £ for ur time... might help..