UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #1  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

Default Recipe Question - cauliflower cheese...

Hi all,

Has anyone ever made cauliflower cheese using cottage cheese as the basis of the sauce, rather than using the usual white sauce with cheese?

If so, was it tasty?

I thought of simply chucking some cottage cheese in the blender, whizzing until smooth, then just pouring over the lightly blanched cauliflower, topping with raw onion and a little extra mature cheddar (for a little extra tang) and then just baking in the oven until it looks done. Does that seem workable or is it a cooking no-no to oven-bake cottage cheese?

If that seems like a bad idea, does anyone know of a low-cal recipe for cauliflower cheese?

Thanks in advance,

Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #2  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

Nice to see you back!

Yes, I've made it. It was okay but a little weird and it kind of split. It may need something like a teaspoon of cornflour in to stabalise it.

The best way I've found is to use a couple of ounces of low fat mature cheddar and as low fat a fromage frais as you can find. Grate the cheddar and mix with the fromage frais, mix in a quarter to half teaspoon of mustard then spoon over the part cooked cauliflower florettes (you could add in green chilli, garlic, crispy bacon bits, dry fried onion, mushrooms or whatever you like.) Then sprinkle over a little more cheese and bake until golden.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #3  

I haven't, but have made lasagne using cottage cheese as a white sauce. A small tub of cottage cheese, a small tub of Total 0% fat Greek yoghurt and an egg, whizzed together. It doesn't split, promise! But if it does, it's not my fault
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:47 AM   #4  

Persoanlly I would rather shoot myself than use cottage cheese but I guess it takes all sorts!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #5  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I don't mind cottage cheese (it serves a purpose) but I tried making a pasta sauce with it again last night and it was sort of grainy - okay, but not great. Poor DH, it was for his packed lunch today!
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #6  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

to make caul cheese, try making the cheese sauce frin fat free milk powder, italian cheese and water?
I put it together for a pasta sauce and it came out quite nice
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 02:40 PM   #7  

Even if you don't like cottage cheese raw, cooked it's completely different and can be lovely. You would never know it was there in my lasagne, it's such a good source of protein and low fat, it's worth a try!!! I personally love it, and eat it even when not watching what I eat.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #8  

Yeah I guess you ae right Kyk. I have often seen Italian style recipes for sweet and savoury stuff with ricotta cheese and a note at the end that you can replace it with cottage cheese. There was one I can;t remember now but it involved dipping those stale sponge fingers in cholated or coffee and cottage cheese but I cannot remember it (couldn't get past that fact that cottage cheese was in it!).

Of course there is always the crustless quiche recipe from Slimming World which has cottage cheese in it. I don;t think it is syn free now - there was a corned beef version as well. The cottage cheese one was alright.

I do actually sometimes have cc on my baked spud and tell myself it is soured cream so enjoy it. Funnily enough I can never remember to eat the rest of the pot. It sits hiding in the fridge (behind a chocolate bar or two) until the date is up and then I cannot possibly eat it , can i?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #9  

Jeez my typos are getting worse. You would not think I was a secretary. My excuse is it is Sunday night and here I am in work screwing my eyes up trying to read the squashed fly and spider tracks that are the Professor's writing!