UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Question Still have not decided what diet or eating plan to follow...

I just cant make my mind up. I feel like I've tried everything.

Most recent was WW but I was always hungry. (I've tried doing WW about 20 times and am always hungry on it)

I've been looking at SW - not done that for about 4 years and I know its changed. Can anyone tell me what its like now, the new eating plans etc? Even better has anyone got the code for the site for this week so I can have a look? I would join a class eventually , just want to have a look around.

Also been looking at the GI plans

Can anyone give me any feedback, what have you done that worked, or what do you like/dislike about certain plans?

I was probablly most successfull doing South Beach but its hard to follow here because you cant get all the ingredients you need and so on. Oh and I always do lose on WW but like I said, cant handle being hungry. And that new thing they have doesnt fit with my lifestyle, eating out a lot, not got much time to cook because I'm not at home very much.

Help please, I am just going round in circles and not losing any weight

Ta!
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:14 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Just make small changes to your lifestyle.

I haven't followed a diet or a plan to lose my weight, I just eat healthier, exercise more and I do count calories, but only because I'd never know where I was if I didn't!

The problem about going on a diet or a plan is there's always going to be a time when you come off the diet or plan. If you change your lifestyle, then it's changed. For good, for ever and ever amen. You will keep the weight you lose off too!

Just take it one step at a time.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 AM   #3  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

I second Frus - try and tailor your own approach, something you know you can live with forever. I count calories, but only to keep me accountable, and within that calorie allowance I try to make sensible choices - I eat a lot of whole grains, fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds, pulses, lean meat, fish, quorn, and try to limit my intake of saturated fat and sugar, though I've learned the lesson that anything I forbid myself completely I just crave more, so I try to be sensible not perfect.

And try to find some kind of activity you like and can incorporate into your life - walking, swimming, horseriding, mountain climbing, canoeing, a martial art, rollerblading, fell walking, cycling, tennis - there must be some sport you like that wouldn't feel like a chore to do regularly. If you find something you actually like doing you're much more likely to stick with it.

Small incremental changes are the best, and the results are more lasting.

GOOD LUCK!!

Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:32 AM   #4  

I have just recently started eating small meals..and they don't necessarily have to be full meals. I will eat a bowl of grapes and then 2 hours later a small sandwich and 2 hours later maybe a bowl of cereal..from the moment I get up I eat every 2 to 2 1/2 hours and then around dinner time I have a larger dinner...like a full balanced meal with protein , carbs , and veggies with perhaps a glass of milk. Just pack you a bag with all the little meals you want to eat through out the day. Pack it with power bars, fruits, sandwiches, cheese, just whatever sounds good but in small portions. But mostly of all, just tailor it to your own self, like the others have mentioned. Try different things until you find what fits you best.It may take a little time, but you can do it!
cruisintolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #5  

Hi Artemis,

I do SW and there aren't any major changes since you last did it - still the concept of Green and Original days, no limits on 'free' foods, foods being awarded a 'syn' value etc.

A couple of new ideas introduced where 'Mix 2 Max' days, where you can have a mixture of Green and Red in the same day, and 'Success Express' - which helps you cut down a bit more to speed up your weight loss. They're also encouraging people to do more exercise too with the idea of 'Body Magic'.

I'm happy with the SW plan - it doesn't feel like a 'diet' to me, and I needed a plan of eating as I was just going crazy and binging on my own. I have lost 1 and 1/2 stones with it since January 18th, with probably about the same amount to lose again. It feels like it is a sustainable way of eating for the long term too, which is the main thing.

Sorry can't give out the password to the website due to copyright reasons, but if you join its £5 for membership and £4.25 per week.

Good luck with your weight loss!

Luna
LunaRiviera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm in with the folks that advocate small changes. If it looks big, fatty or sugary don't eat it. Leave a little something on your plate. Given the choice between processed and it grew that way ... pick the grew that way. Given the choice between sautering and really swingin' your boots ... swing them boots.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 AM   #7  
Consistency + Balance

S/C/G: 18st/12st10lbs/11st3lbs

Height: 5 ft 6 ins

I count calories as well but I also always chose low GI carbs and very low fat proteins - and loads of veg and fruit. I've completely given up eating anything sweet or high GI because once I've had a little of it I just don't know when to stop. One thing really helps me, I now plan each day's menu during the day before so I don't have to debate with myself whether or not I have calories available for something extra - I always know if I've got any spare cals left to indulge myself at all.

The thing thats made the biggest difference to my whole life is adding in exercise. I used to hate it at school and I've avoided it like the plague ever since but I'm getting a huge buzz out of it now I've found a couple of things I like doing (walking and strength training).

I think it all depends on the person, some people thrive on flexibility and others (like me) need to know whats happening in advance. Some people hate exercise and are happy to regularly eat a low amount of calories in order to lose weight - me, I love my food, so I exercise lots and eat more.
Sarah Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:43 AM   #8  
Heather/Caterpillar

I am on Cambridge diet but I would only recommend it after trying everything else and only if you had loads to lose. I am a firm believer of the exercise thing, I think dieting alone can only do so much and even a little more exercise can make a difference stuff like getting off the bus early or not fighting for the closest parking space at ASDA can help!!! My personal favourite is dancing round the my bedroom to the Spice Girls (just don't tell anyone!)
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 03:21 AM   #9  
Knowledge is Power

S/C/G: 224/please see ticker/145

Height: 5' 4"

I follow a kind of GI diet, avoiding things like white bread and white pasta, keeping potatoes and rice to a minimum. It's involved a complete change in attitude but four months on, my new eating habits are so entrenched, I couldn't imagine going back to how things were.

I also try to do something physical every day, even if it's just walking to work.
london_loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #10  

Artemis if you still are interest in the SW diet the code for the week is coffee.

Maybe grab a mag first and see what you think?

I am very happy on it. It is the only one where I do not have a bad head. I got that with ww!
peacock 2 is offline   Reply With Quote