UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-05-2005, 12:51 PM   #1  
Always drink your water..

S/C/G: 215/198.5/119

Height: 5'1"

Question Help - where can I buy cheap smart clothes?

Does any one have any idea where I can buy some (very) cheap smart clothes for work - preferably suits?

I only started this new job on 31st January, and about a week or so before I started I had a splurge in Elvi and Ann Harvey and bought about £500 of new clothes - 3 suits, various tops and a couple of pairs of smart trousers.

Now all of them are looking ridiculously baggy (I bought them on the large size in the first place, because at the time my weight was going up not down and I was looking at the worst possible scenario ).

I can't afford to look scruffy - suits are practically obligatory - but I have neither the money nor the inclination to buy a whole new wardrobe when I still have another 5.5 stones to lose.

I have some woollen suits that still fit, but I'm reluctant to die of heat exhaustion - I work in a portacabin and it was ferociously hot in March, so I'm dreading July and August !)

Obviously I can't wait till the weight is gone to buy new clothes, so does anyone know of a cheapie-but-smart range that will fit someone around the size 18-20 mark?

Thanks in advance!

Janey
Dippy Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:11 PM   #2  

What about Primark, you've got to shop around, and I find it's sometimes pot luck, but I've bought suits there before, which whilst not top quality, they're a fraction of the price you'll pay elsewhere and ideal if they're only for the short term.

Best of luck, annoying about the wasted money - have you got a shop that buy's good quality seconds in your area, you'll something back for them. Aaah the price of being a successful dieter, at least you're looking for new stuff cos you're getting smaller, unlike me, who's buying new clothes in a bigger size

Keep up the good work!
MadamDotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:22 PM   #3  

Asda do cheap standard work type skirt, trousers and jackets. Bit obvious though so you may have ruled them out. I got an interview outfit few years back from Evans cost me 100 my sis got one from Asda cost her 50.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:25 PM   #4  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Try New Look, they also have an INSPIRE section for 16+ ladies, but there normal stuff goes up to a 20.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #5  

I was going to say New Look as well. Tesco and Asda are both good for seperates, if you can wing it, or perhaps buy your trousers and skirts there and get a jacket in a co-ordinating print or shade elsewhere. You could also try MKOne and Etam, I love Etam and they won't be around much longer, the nasty Phillip Green of Arcadia has bought them, and is going to scrap all their ranges, except Tammy for the teenagers, so you might just get a bargain too. TKMaxx is good for seperates, but you have to have the patience of six saints, the time of Coleen (Wayne Rooney's girlfriend) and be prepared to be disappointed!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #6  
Away with the faeries....

Where in norfolk do you live? Theres a +size shop in Dereham (a town near norwich) which is so cheap and ex-warehouse stock! Cant quite remember the name but its on the high street. Used to be called Size Up but might be called 'Inspire' or something similar now. When I go home to visit my parents I always buy my suits from there.

If you are close enough I'll grab the details for you - I lived in Norwich until I was 18 so I know my way around pretty well
Cat x

Last edited by Goth_Girl; 06-05-2005 at 04:04 PM.
Goth_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:26 PM   #7  

I'm about 20 minutes drive from Norwich (I live midway between Norwich and Yarmouth) - Dereham is definitely do-able. Thanks Gothy.

And thanks to everyone else too for all your suggestions. I'll check 'em out.

Janey
Old 06-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #8  

dippy i use ebay now, as the more my body shape is changing im going through clothes like never before, its also a good way of getting some money back on the clothes you bought at new year time
tootoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I'm happy at the moment. Not cheap specifically, but I just bought a new suit with some money I got for my birthday which was earmarked for that very purpose. My old suits are getting distinctly baggy.

But not any old suit. A suit from Next. I never thought I'd ever be able to say that! And not any old suit from Next. A suit from Next which wasn't even the biggest size. Or not all of it, anyway. The jacket is a size 18 (my top is smaller than my bottom, and they didn't have a 20s so I decided to take the plunge and buy it anyway in the hope it will give me more wear in the long run). A size 20 skirt which is actually a bit too big but they didn't have an 18 - I'm going to try a different shop tomorrow to see if it's worth swapping. And trousers in both 18 or 20 (as the jacket is the most expensive bit anyway I thought I may as well get some trousers that don't quite fit at the moment for me to slim into as the jacket should be OK for a while yet).

And thanks to my lurvely grandparents I had £10 change from my budget
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM   #10  

you know.............it could be an idea for us to have a for sale/wanted thread. save us a fortune in the end
tootoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:06 PM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Do you have a Next Clearance shop anywhere near you? There is one in Leeds, I was in there today and they seemed to have loads of decently priced suits going up to size 20. It can be a bit hit and miss in terms of what they have and finding matching pieces, but I think I'm going to head back there soon to get another, hopefully temporary, suit.

The only problem for was that there don't seem to be changing rooms, although you can take stuff back for a refund.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:13 PM   #12  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

matalan?
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #13  

Hmmm..dunno if there's a Next clearance shop - I'll have to investigate. Aren't Next sizes really small?!?!

But there's definitely a Matalan a 10 minute drive from work - thanks Si, I'll check it out.

Janey
Old 06-20-2005, 06:22 AM   #14  
Confused Cow

What about Dorothy Perkins? They have some nice black suits in at the moment - check the website out its easier then traipsing around just be disappointed.

If you do find something on the website, take a picture with you as I found that the names on the clothes arnt used in the shops.

Also try Woolies if there is one near you, they are quite good for shirts, as is Peacocks...
confusedcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #15  
flour-powered

Janey,

I'm in a similar situation. Losing weight and having to dress very formally as work.

I think Mackays is the best shop. They have a large size range upto size 28. They are inexpensive and they change their stock quiet frequently. They always do a couple of smart jackets with matching trousers or skirts. If you time it right, you can pick up some great reductions.

Don't be put off by the apparent cheapness. The clothes are well made, and wash well. Hope this helps.
stephmcm is offline   Reply With Quote