UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 06-05-2005, 02:36 PM   #1  

Default Resolutions & Motivation

Hi all

I've just bought this months Slimming magazine, and one of the articles, called "The Thin Commandments" has really given me some good ideas to motivate myself which I thought I'd share (how nice am I? ) Here's a few of the "commandments" which I like:

Think historically, not just calorifically - what this means is thinking about the impact a particular food has on you, so if you fancy a biscuit that's 100 cals, rather than think, oh well it's only 100 cals, think about how you normally behave after having a biscuit, if just one is enough - that's fine, but if it'll lead to you scoffing the rest of the packet, then don't even eat the one as it's not just 100 cals you're going to be eating!

Stop feeling deprived - now this really applies to me as I often think I'm missing out or deprived cos I can't eat the goodies I love or see other people eating. The answer to this is to look at it positively not negatively, so if you think "I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun in life", replace that with "I had fun for years, it didn't make me happy, just fat". Replace "what's wrong with a taste" with "taking a taste makes it harder", "I want that piece of cake" with "but I want to be slim more" and "dieting is so hard" with "being fat is harder".

I really liked those and thought it may help someone else.

Another thing they say is that people who keep a food diary (here you go Veggie) lose more weight and are better at keeping it off than those who don't. So I'm gonna give it a go, along with making weekly resolutions as a friend of mine does this and says it really helps her as a constant guideline so she knows what she's aiming for, rather than just half-hearted aims of I'll try and lose some weight this week, I'll try and get fitter etc.

So here goes with my resolutions for the next week

Diet resolutions:
No cheese Monday to Friday (toasted cheese sandwiches have become a regular lunch)
Same with iced coffees made with milk (definately sabotaging my weight loss)
Limit my nut snacking, as sometimes I think I eat far too many, so weigh/count out a daily ration to take to work
Stop feeling deprived!

Fitness resolutions:
To jog at least 3 times
To rebound at least 3 times
To cycle at least twice
To use my Abs machine daily

So that's what I'm aiming for next week, along with keeping a food diary. Anyone else fancy posting their resolutions?
MadamDotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #2  
Away with the faeries....

Smile

Wow! Thanks for sharing, they are really helpful. Especially

Quote:
Replace "what's wrong with a taste" with "taking a taste makes it harder"'
Thats soooooooo me!

Ok so here are mine....
My Diet Resolutions
Do not be tempted by biscuits at work (hobnobs are NOT healthy coz they have oats in them... EVER!!)
No refined sugar - it just makes me feel shaky and makes me crash 20 minutes later.
Drink tea in moderation and least 2 litres of water a day

My Exercise Resolutions
Gym 3 times a week
Poi practice 4 times a week
Get off the bus a stop early and walk an extra 10 minutes home
Activity is exercise

Right! Positive thoughts and fingers crossed for the week ahead!
Cat x
Goth_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Aww Goth Girl you've ruined my impressions of "healthy" HobNobs - although the chocolate on the top doesn't help!

Diet Resolution:

A subway when we're eating out, or pub meal with NO CHIPS!

Exercise Resolution:

Get down the gym 4 days a week
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:02 PM   #4  

This is how my weight loss has been different this time, I really thought about the emotional aspects of my being fat and how I got here. I don't eat biscuits, because I cannot physically eat one biscuit, and when I do eat just one it is a great achievement. I do still eat chocolate, but only the individually wrapped pure chocolate, because I CAN eat one of those and feel satisfied.

My diet resolutions:

To get back on the wagon after maintainance week
To be organised and methodical with my meal preparation
To enjoy the food that I eat and enjoy what it is doing for me and by body.

My exercise resolutions:

To plan my time and make the most of my exercise time
To try one thing new this week
To walk more often in the countryside around my house
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #5  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I'm still in the first flush of losing weight and I'm starting out gently rather than going crazy and then giving up when I can't achieve unrealistic goals. I also haven't exercised in years so any additional movement for me is a bonus.
Diet resolutions
Keep daily kcals below 1600
Include fruit or vegetables with at least two of my meals
Accurately record everything I eat/drink

Exercise resolutions
Incorporate a two mile walk every day
Ride my bicycle rather than taking the bus for longer journeys
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #6  

Hi all, thought I'd update this thread a week later. I've done really well, stuck to most of my resolutions. Tick in the box for all the diet ones, didn't manage all of the fitness ones, but not far off, so I'm pleased. I'll weigh in tomorrow, so be interesting to see if anything shows on the scale.

This week, pretty much the same with an extra effort to stick to all the fitness ones.

It's hubby's birthday on Wednesday and we're going out for a meal to our favourite restaurant, so will be taking a break then, but if I keep up the exercise, I should be able to limit the damage!

All the best everyone, have a good, resolute week!
MadamDotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

Did my gym thang but didn't quite meet the eating out standards! I tried! Had 2 meals out today, one was bread and cheese from Sainsbury's (!) and the other was... erm... Pizza Hut
Old 06-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #8  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Good going, Dotty.

That's Pizza Hut salad bar, right, frus?

Today is the first day I didn't get my full walk in. I managed 1.26 miles but was just too worn out to do more. I've stuck to my diet resolutions though so the scale had better reward me tomorrow.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #9  
aka Superwoman!

Oh yeah... salad bar... that's it....