UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #1  

Smile weight watchers switch

hi
i have always gone to slimming world but have moved and ww is easier to get to. please can anyone tell me if ww switch is like the slimming world plan.
thanks mandy
mandyr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:52 PM   #2  
Queen of Chaos!

ONly in the sense that you have lists of "unlimited foods" "Switch" is what they are calling the whole programme, there are 2 different programmes "Full Choice" which is a re-vamped version of the "Points" system and "No Count". On No Count you can choose freely from a list of foods, unlike SW there is no red or green days and it includes meat as well as carbs, the bad news is that you have to only eat 3 times a day and stop when you are comfortably full, any snacking inbetween meals can only be fruit or veg, anything not of the free foods list has to be pointed to a maximum value of 21 points per week.
Hope this helps!!!
mysticvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 02:54 PM   #3  
Queen of Chaos!

Oh I should have also pointed out that processed foods can't be eaten freely ie no "Pasta choice" like most SW dieters seem to live on!!
Old 02-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticvix
ONly in the sense that you have lists of "unlimited foods" "Switch" is what they are calling the whole programme, there are 2 different programmes "Full Choice" which is a re-vamped version of the "Points" system and "No Count". On No Count you can choose freely from a list of foods, unlike SW there is no red or green days and it includes meat as well as carbs, the bad news is that you have to only eat 3 times a day and stop when you are comfortably full, any snacking inbetween meals can only be fruit or veg, anything not of the free foods list has to be pointed to a maximum value of 21 points per week.
Hope this helps!!!
Shocking that you have to stop when you are 'comfortably full'
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 04:13 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Just thought I'd pass this on....

Snack a Jacks were mentioned at mum's meeting on Tues, the large ones (from the tube type wrapper) are "free" so you can eat them at a meal, as a crispbread, like a bread substitute, but the little ones that you get in crisp type packets are not free, because they are treated as a snack.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #6  
Queen of Chaos!

It's all about re-educating eating habits, if that makes sense, and eating "real food" practically all the "No Count" list is pure food that you have to cook yourself, they are activley discouraging snacking (other than fruit & veg) in between meals - it actually makes a lot of sense, and is one of the best eating plans WW have produced, it's very "back to basics"
I haven't had the bottle to try it yet, I'm going to wait til my first stone's gone! But if you notice my slider thingy, it's going down for the first time in a long time, and that's on Full Choice!!
Old 02-03-2005, 12:33 AM   #7  
Gym'll fix it!!

Eh? Well how do they work that one out Frus no wonder some people get confused trying to follow some plans I for one would want an explanation as to why one is "free" and one is'nt get your Mum to ask
cat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 06:46 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Yeha exactly Cat!

I think it's like mysticvix said, one's seen as a "snack" and the other is a crispbread that you could have stuff on like cheese or ham or whatever!

Personally I wouldn't be putting cream cheese and ham on a caramel snack a jack but there you go! Also if you wanted to eat 4 big snack a jacks cos they were "free" but couldn't have a packet of little ones then you'd have eaten more "points" eating 4 big ones!!

MAD I say MAD! But the general idea is good, so I'm not dissing weight watchers but I think it would be a lot of hassle learning things that are free and not free!

Also what if you wanted to eat 6 small meals a day? Although it seems to be working for some people cos at mum's WW group, the people on No count are losing more, but that's probably cos they're not snacking!

Anyway if it works for you then ok, personally I couldn't be bothered! Mum is still counting all her points but then she opened the biscuits...
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:09 PM   #9  

hi all
thamks for the replys , i joined ww on 7/2/05 lost 2 pound in my first week which was a bit dissapointing . never mind will try for more this week.
thanks mandy
mandyr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:37 PM   #10  

Two pounds is still two pounds.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:04 PM   #11  
Gym'll fix it!!

Yeh 2lbs is great just imagine 2 big lumps of butter sat in front of you
Old 02-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #12  

Hi everyone. I am new - first post. I started ww switch 4 weeks ago and have lost 5.5lbs so far. Fairly slow loss but I have PCOS and find it hard to shift weight. I love the plan though and it really encourages me to exercise. I am following full choice at the moment but may switch when I get bored. I am interested to see how it works for others. A lot of people at my group swear by it as they have no hunger but others with busy lifestyles couldn't stick to the routine of it. Caroline
carolinej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:05 PM   #13  
Queen of Chaos!

A lot of people expect/get huge weightlosses in their first week, I think this is mainly due to "last supper" syndromme where you stuff your face for a week before your first weigh in, this gives a false impression on the scales.
WW recommend between 1lb and 2lbs loss in a week, what would you rather, 7lbs off and put it back on again or 1-2lbs and keep it off?
You've done well on your first week, keep going you'll get there!!
Old 02-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #14  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Caroline I'm not doing W.W. so I can't comment on their plan Well Done on your weightloss so far
Old 02-21-2005, 09:13 AM   #15  

lol, I know all about 'last supper' syndrome. I never lose fast even in the first week, but I always tended to lose a steady 1.5lbs a week on average with ww. And I was fine with that. I'm sticking to full choice (the points system) for the moment as I know it and I think No Count is going to be a bit inflexible when eating out which I always do at w/ends (I save up a few points). I can't compare SW with WW as I've never been to SW, just wanted to say good luck.
lora_m is offline   Reply With Quote