UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #1  

Default Struggling with motivation

Hello everyone,

I'm sure I'm not alone with this, hence why I'm asking on here to ask for any tips etc.

I really struggle to motivate myself to exercise or just move in general. I desperately want to lose weight, my diet is brilliant, I love healthy eating but I just can't force myself to exercise. If anyone could be of any help that'd be brilliant, thank you
befitbehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #2  

Hello!

I think finding the right thing can make a huge difference. I have tried various things and loved them, and wanted to carry on, but then life has kicked me off track. I was running 3/4 times a week and doing well...then got diagnosed with depression and dumped. I haven't been able to get back on track. I tried crossfit and LOVED it, but it was prohibitively expensive. I'm now trying yoga at home, and was doing relatively well until a cold and prolonged period knocked me for 6.

I now realise that may not have sounded particularly helpful. But what I mean is that when you find the kind of exercise that excites you for whatever reason, the kind that you can feel progress with, you might be more motivated to stick with it. See if you can find some taster sessions in various things - or have a go from youtube videos!
BoredNotHungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:16 PM   #3  

Hello,

Thank you for the response. Although "not particularly helpful" in the sense of giving me any tips for motivation etc. Despite the obvious find what you love. You have certainly helped me mentally, I suffer from anxiety and depression and it's reassuring speaking to someone who I can relate to and is in the same situation. I am a student so money is limited, classes aren't really an option. I used to do spin which I loved but it's just not at all possible now. You've made me realise I need to be brave, try new things, even something as simple as running on the treadmill, I might enjoy it, who knows?

Thank you
Old 03-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #4  

I have exactly the same - my anxiety is quick to rear its head. Right now I can feel it building because I know I need to lose a lot of weight to be healthy, and it's also telling me I'm going to fail like I always have. It's having a go at me for taking such a long break because of this cold, and all the usual I'm going to be single forever, no wonder x, of course y. I'm with you. It's a huge barrier. I bet you've had a million people telling you that exercise is good for depression, eh? Ergh. I know. That doesn't make it any easier to start.

If you're thinking about running, I've definitely recommend the Couch to 5K podcast. I hated running with a violent passion for many years, but I managed to get up to running 5k consistently with it...before falling off the running wagon. I'd also suggest using the podcast rather than the app...the music is terrible, but the beat helps. If you're thinking yoga, I'd say try Yoga with Adriene on YouTube, lots of videos for all sorts of moods :-)
Old 03-05-2017, 04:19 PM   #5  

I've heard that far too many times, My anxiety always gets in the way. Unfortunately I doubt myself, I doubt everything, even when I succeed at something or achieve something I beat myself up about it, nothing ever seems to be good enough. Although, I have joined a gym, I go along with two friends which helps an incredible amount.

I used running as an example, annoyingly there's another barrier (typical). I have Achilles tendinitis so exercise isn't advised, especially not running. Something like the couch to 5k thing sounds good though, do you happen to know of any alternatives? I feel like I need something more demanding than yoga to feel like I've actually done something to help.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #6  

Ah no, that's so frustrating! I actually have something similar when it comes to yoga - an old injury that prevents weight on my right wrist if it's at 90 degrees.

I'm not sure of any alternatives, but I'll certainly be on the lookout, cause I need them too! I would suggest giving yoga a go though - some of the videos I've followed have left me bright red and breathless because there's a lot of strength work involved. As well as that, I think it would be good for you mentally. It sounds like we're both pretty bad at beating ourselves up over every mistake and "failure". Doing yoga has helped give me back some time where I am only kind to myself, when I let go of everything else happening in my day and just exist. I know it sounds super cheesy, and I avoided yoga for so long because I only heard people being very hippy about it, but it has honestly made a big difference to my life to have that 10-30 mins a day of mindful thinking. Just something to consider!

I'll let you know if I find any good podcasts that would suit! I think we could make a good supportive team for each other
Old 03-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #7  

I suppose I am just making assumptions about yoga and not actually looking into the benefits of it, I definitely will give it a go. I've tried meditation before which I just assumed was quite similar, it didn't work for me so I've just never bothered.

I'll be on the look out for other alternatives too. I agree, we seem to be in a very similar situation, it'd be great help.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #8  
mjf

You might want to consider replacing some of the cardio with weightlifting (but you should still do some cardio). For weightlifting, focus on compound exercises that work large muscle groups, because they burn the most calories. Weightlifting can burn just as many calories as cardio in less time (because after you weightlift you'll burn calories at a faster-than-normal rate for the rest of the day), and if you'll probably be less bored if you're doing both.

Last edited by mjf; 03-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/210/125

Height: 5'5"

Motivation? Doctors agree that regular exercise is like a free, magical pill for you health. It lowers the risk of cancer, heart disease, diabetes, strokes and increases lifespan. All you have to do is move around briskly for a half hour or so five or six days a week.

Suggestion? For you, considering your tendonitis, I would recommend a low-impact DVD work-out that you can do in front of your TV, on a carpet or even surface, with supportive shoes on. Something with rhythmic music because music itself is a motivator to move, the beat will keep you at an aerobic pace, and rhythmic movement is helpful to brain health.
FluffyFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #10  

Invest in a FITBIT and get your mates to get one too, you can setup weekly activities and challenges, it will keep you on your toes!!
Daviddon1199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #11  

Keto diet rocks
clem24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:49 PM   #12  

Make an exercise your primary way of losing weight.
Arabella4535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5ft 5ins

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie to the site and still finding my way around. I'm based in the UK, Yorkshire to be exact. I'm 59, married to Richard and between us we have 5 daughters and 1 grandson who will be two on Christmas eve. I'm here to lose weight. I'm currently 177lbs and would prefer to be 145lbs as an ideal weight - On the upside: 1) I have a dog who loves long walks. 2) I have a 'free' gym and swimming pool very close by. 3) Don't have a sweet tooth, prefer savoury treats, love meat. 4) Have an amazing, supportive family. My career to date has focused on supporting people in 1-2-1 learning which gives me a huge amount of satisfaction but it would appear I'm good at giving it but not much good at doing it for myself. So I'm here, full of hope and promise and looking for a buddy or buddies to help each other get to our personal goals. Would be great to hear from you and would welcome some advice as to where best I should be posting on this amazing site. Deb xx
FemTherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:52 AM   #14  

I'm also facing this issue. I think I'm very lazy to do exercise
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #15  

I every day sart like this!
AlexGreg is offline   Reply With Quote