UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #1  

Default Newbie emotional eater

Hi,

I'm an emotional eating newbie *tentatively waves hello from the midlands*

I've struggled since I was a kid with my weight and managed to lose 3.5 stone in when I was 19. I'm now 28 and have gained all of that back (and a bit more). I'm constantly preoccupied by my weight and when I get upset I eat so it's a vicious circle. My husband and i are trying for a baby- I want my body to be as healthy as possible and as I have PCOS I know weight loss should help.

Does anyone have any advice for overcoming emotional eating? Or would anyone like a buddy for help dealing with this issue? I seem to use food as an emotional crutch and need to focus on the nutritional value again!

Snowdrop xx
Snowdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:57 AM   #2  
mjf

Avoid buying unhealthy foods at the supermarket. Healthy food will fill you up faster (per calorie), especially foods which are high in fiber or protein, so it'll be more difficult to overeat. If you overeat anyway, it's better to overeat healthy food than unhealthy food.

Do you have any hobbies? Maybe you can find something else to do to relieve stress, instead of eating.

Last edited by mjf; 03-28-2017 at 01:58 AM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

I am right there with you. If you really are looking for an accountability partner let me know as I am looking for the same. I lost 50 lbs last year and have gained it all back, found out yesterday Im back at the weight I started at a year ago. Emotional eating and binge eating are the biggest issues standing in my way at the moment and I would love to be rid of them.
shannylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:21 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 135 / 175 / 175

Height: 6'0

My advice for you would be to not get rid of "unhealthy foods" completely , I found that small progress is much better and gives long term results vs big progress that you cannot maintain for long anyway.

Start first by including one healthy meal a day (or at the frequency that you choose) , this meal must contain veggies / fruits and some kind of meat.
Swim or walk just once a week.

If you can do that for 2 weeks straight , add a session / meal.

This will get you going (you can keep eating bad foods )
Adam S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #5  

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies all useful advice! Will definitely try and avoid processed foods. I don't have many hobbies which I engage in at the moment as I'm always so tired (another viscous circle!). I change jobs next week so I'm hoping this will help me get a new burst of enthusiasm.

Shannylove I would love an accountability buddy please!

Adams I like the idea of taking things slow initially. I always try and go full pelt and then stall early on when something doesn't go quite right. I'll try this gradual method

Xx
Snowdrop is offline   Reply With Quote