UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:29 AM   #1  

Default Dying of dieting!

Hi everyone,

I'm so fed up of diets! I’ve been yoyo-ing with my weight for a number of years now and I’ve come to the conclusion that the main reason is that I can’t find a diet that I can or want to stick to.

I’m currently trying go lower and I’ve had quite a bit of success, losing just over half a stone but I can already feel myself getting to that point where I can’t stick to it anymore because I’m just so bored. The meals do taste ok for the first few days so I can’t complain about that but it’s all packet food and I've seen the same ready meals on the shelf in Tesco.

I still have to go to the supermarket anyway to buy loads of things it doesn’t provide like fruit and veg etc so I'm thinking that I might as well just pick up the ready meals off the shelf while I'm there! So they’re the main things that are making me want to quit it at the moment. (Note to self: maybe have some will power woman!)

I've got about 2 stone to lose, has anybody got any diet ideas that aren’t so boring? There’s got to be something out there surely! Is there such a thing as a chocolate diet?!
pattsygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Have you tried plain old calorie counting? I know it's sometimes thought of as a bit dull but it means that I Can eat chocolate or any other thing I want. It also means that definitely I eat a lot of fresh food, which is good because I'm very suspicious about the nutrient content of any packaged stuff.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #3  
rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattsygirl View Post
so I'm thinking that I might as well just pick up the ready meals off the shelf while I'm there!
Wait.
This reasoning logically works pretty well, but logically only.
Before to do anything like that, compare the ingredients label, TESCO ready meals may have worse ingredients than what you are currently eating (i.e. trans fats and all that stuff) so you may be eating something which name is the same, but which ingredients are different.
Check before eating!!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #4  

“Before to do anything like that, compare the ingredients label, TESCO ready meals may have worse ingredients than what you are currently eating (i.e. trans fats and all that stuff) so you may be eating something which name is the same, but which ingredients are different.”

True what rainy is saying but I thought the same thing as pattsy when I tried a few diet chef hampers! They didn’t provide me with fruit or veg and a few other essentials either, like go lower by the sounds of it so I had to go to the supermarket and when I was there I saw the packets and thought, hang on this looks familiar!

So the next time I went I bought a couple of packets to compare to the ones I’d been sent by diet chef and they were exactly the same, literally the same packet, same ingredients, same everything so I know what your saying pattsy. It annoyed me a bit if I’m honest because you think it’s personal to them and turns out you can get exactly the same thing down your local shop!

The only different home delivery diet I’ve come across is from a website called bodychef.com I haven’t tried it but I’ve heard a few good things because all the food is freshly cooked - might be worth a look pattsy
lilsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hi Ladies..I am not in UK but did the same in the U.S. when I began--I purchased ready to eat diet meals...yes, it helped me lose weight but what great news it was when I realized I had lots more choices than what was in the frozen food case at the market....pattsy, I don't want you to be discouraged...it just sounds like what you are currently doing isn't right for you...
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #6  

Hey all, thanks for getting back to me and thanks thighs for your support have you found a diet that's right for you yet?

Going back to what lilsusie said, I've got to say I feel the same, it's really put me off. It looks like diet chef and go lower buy from the same site lookwhatwefound.co.uk - I've got no complaints with the taste of the food don't get me wrong, it's the principle that bugs me.

Thanks for your bodychef suggestion by the way. I just checked out the website and it looks good from what it says and the food is actually fresh which is a bonus (although I haven't ever come across them before). I don't mind paying a little extra if it means I don't have to buy anything on top, so I may well try one or two of their hampers when I inevitably get bored of my current diet!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/212/160

Height: 5ft 8

What are you bored with? Do you feel like you're dieting and so feel deprived? Are you eating "diet food"? If so, no wonder you're bored.

I've been doing Weight Watchers for 2 years and when I do it properly I can honestly say that I'm not bored with the food, I have low calorie versions of whatever it is that I love, so curries, stir fries, pasta etc, I just find a recipe for a lower calorie version.

This week, I started South Beach because I have polycystic ovaries and so carbs are stopping me from losing weight (carbs are the main food group on WW) and again, I'm so excited by the foods I'm eating and I lost 4lb this week too. My severe cravings have also stopped, I've stopped craving bread and sugar and my energy levels have increased.

How much time do you have? Is it practical for you to cook things from scratch? We don't eat any ready meals at all, my husband just doesn't like the taste, but I don't work, so I have the time to cook.

I guess after all that rambling, the secret of my weight loss so far is planning. You have to plan and shop for your meals in advance, rather than going to the supermarket when you're exhausted and picking up the nearest unhealthy ready meal. Packs of stir fried vegetables with some meat and either rice or noodles would be better and use soy sauce, ginger, garlic, tinned pineapple, tomato puree, Worcester sauce, maybe even the low calorie stir fry sauces would be better or maybe pasta with a pasta sauce and add some fresh vegetables like peppers, mushrooms, onions etc.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #8  
gracey

S/C/G: 242/172/168

Height: 5ft 11

i think with any diet you need to be realistic. there is no chance your going to stick to it if you cant really see yourself cutting certain foods in yourlife. I mean im not saying u can have a choc bar a day, thats silly, but u can treat yourself say once a week allowing for something u love in replacement of other calories. It really depends on what style of diet your on, and what works for you.
sometimes i need to be more regimented (like now) so im trying to go without alcohole and choc for a while. Wherreas if im doing well on a diet, then a day where i have a small bar of choc and a glass of wine is ok. its all about balance, and a good amount of exercise i find ultimatly.
freethetoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #9  

Hi Ally it's not necessarily the food itself that I'm so bored with, it's the drag of having to go shopping, calorie counting, cooking it healthily with the right portion sizes and so on and so on, it genuinely sucks away my soul...

I've followed up susie's advice and decided to go with a bodychef.com diet (starting tomorrow) mainly because it's real fresh food and the website gave me a lot of additional info. I know I must sound lazy but I work so many hours I just haven't got the time. Plus if it's as effective as what a few people have said it is then hopefully I won't need to be on it for long to reach my target weight has anybody tried it? I'm looking forward to a bit of a change!x
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/222/170

Height: 5,9"

I take my diet 7lbs at a time that way it never seems unrealistic. My best and favourite meal is ratatouille done in the slow cooker. Chuck it all in in the morning and when I am ready to chew my leg off in the evening its ready before I can reach that packet of chocolate off the shelf.

My biggest thing is I don't want to feel as though on a diet in fact the word is banned in the house! for that reason I won't have weight watchers food or anything like that plus the fact the portion size is clearly designed for baby sparrows!
Tracey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:23 AM   #11  

Hi Tracy, yeah I've slow cooked things before and I agree - it tastes great. But now I work so many hours I haven't got the time in the morning to prepare it

I had my first bodychef delivery yesterday and it's really tasty! I love the fact that I haven't got to worry about shopping and cooking anymore (even if that does make me lazy!) and they've said it should take about 6 weeks to lose my target 1 and a half stone - as long as I don't cheat! If the rest of the meals are like the one yesterday I'm going to be one happy pattsy
Old 04-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #12  
~Cupcake

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/130

Height: 5'3''

You can always try looking up some low fat low cal recipes to spice things up. Dont try to stick to food from a box, cause you're guaranteed to get bored really fast.
Plexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #13  

Yeah I could find some easily and I have done in the past, but I'm finding this home delivery service a bit too good at the moment. I haven't really got the time to shop and cook healthily (and I do feel lazy but I just want to chill out after I get back from work and not worry about calorie counting, portioning etc)