3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   UK Fat Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks-75/)
-   -   Anyone on the Dukan diet out there? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/uk-fat-chicks/156356-anyone-dukan-diet-out-there.html)

Rottenthing 08-03-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikinimama (Post 3418172)
ok, down one pound.

Hey BM... thats one pound less now you have to loose. If you want to feel better about it pick up something that weighs a pound and see/feel how much it really is

bikinimama 08-09-2010 11:49 AM

wasn't judicious this weekend, so no progress. only writing this to make myself remain accountable......

shrinking aussie 08-18-2010 01:39 AM

Hello all,
I've been following this site silently, finally decided to join in. But no one has been on in the last few days. Are you dukan-ers still out there?
I heard about the Dukan diet when I was visiting family in Australia recently, and decided I either had to resign myself to being overweight, or give something new a go. Today is only day five - and I am down 3.3 kg. Unbelievable. I know it isn't permanent, but what a psychological boost to feel thinner almost immediately! I can fit trousers that were tight last week easily.
Anyway, my husband is out of town for the week, so I am thinking I might continue the attack for a few more days, since it is easier to do all that "diet food" when he's away! And I know things will slow down over the next few days, so I thought I'd get in touch with like-minded dieters to maintain the motivation.
Thanks for all the gerat ideas you've posted already!

Deena52 08-18-2010 12:52 PM

Hey shrinking aussie~

I'd never heard of this diet but researched it and it looks to me like it's a low-fat version of Atkins....definitely in the category of a low-carb diet.

If you are having trouble getting enough feedback in this particular section...come over to the Atkins/low-carb area of the board....since you have chosen a plan that would be in this category anyway.

The main thing I'm not sure about here is whether this diet is actually a metabolic/fat burning one or a version of low-calorie....meaning, that you lose mainly due to low calorie as opposed to the high fat/ketosis/fat-burning metabolic process. If you eat lean protein and veggies and omit most of the fat...it would be pretty low-calorie I would imagine.
I like the Atkins method better because due to the fat allowed, you have less in the way of hunger issues to deal with.

It's funny....when researching this...I found a blog where someone had an entry about this....and was amazed at many of the negative comments...esp. the ones based on faulty medical info. No, ketosis is not dangerous...it's ketoacidosis that is but you would have to be a diabetic without his/her insulin to have this happen. And no, increased protein does NOT cause kidney/renal failure.....it's that when you have already existing renal/kidney problems, you should cut down on protein due to the NH4/nitrogen factor.

I am a huge believer in the carbs are BAD theory, except for non-starchy veggies....and protein and fat are GOOD. To me, this is way more medically sound that all these people claiming that we need lots of carbs or that we need to eat low-fat.
Contrary to what most of the commenters thought, this diet is NOT dangerous, IMO. I would also not call it a fad diet...but more of a twist of a version of many of the other low-carb diets. But it sounds like this Dr. Dukan did base this on many sound medical/physiologic principles.
It's just that it's not EXACTLY what I consider to be the all-time best low-carb diet due to the low fat thing.

Anyway, come on over to the low-carb area!!

deena:)

chouchoubou 08-20-2010 03:07 PM

hi shrinking aussie!!
Congrats on your weight loss!! I am a Dukanette. :)

@Deana52 Hmmm , looks like i may have to peek in over at the Atkins area.....the US Dukan girls don't stick around on 3FC too long it seems. I'm still on my journey....see you over there.

I'm always around for Dukan talk!

shrinking aussie 08-31-2010 12:38 AM

Hi Deena, thanks for the offer, will take a peek.

Hi ChouChouBou, great to see your success! I think your name has popped up on othersites I've been following too.

I've been on Dukan for about 2 weeks now, yes things have slowed down, and not helped by the fact that I went to La Jolla for the weekend and was not perfect. I was very very good though, basically had 2 PV days in a row, and now trying to make up for it. I am proud that I managed to avoid bread, pizza, pasta, pastry, toast, dessert. But not fruit or wine. Ergh! At least I have a plan for recovery.

Overall still feeling good about it - in the past I would have thrown it all away and eaten everything. And in 2 weeks I am still down 5 kg, not bad really. LOVING that my clothes fit nicely again. Now looking forward to them getting to be too big!

PS CCB, I am an aussie, but live in the US, so not all US girls have deserted - I am a semi-American!

chouchoubou 09-02-2010 10:20 AM

Hi ShrinkingAussie!

I haven't been around for a week or two I have been a little frustrated with my lack of losing, caving in to cravings and what not.

I have been trying to exercise every single day but its more like every other day I tend to really need a day to regenerate as far as energy goes. Today I weighed in at 165. I would love to stay at this number (and of course lower) going forward. Thats a total of 26 pounds lost....pretty cool!

I'll keep checking around for your posts!

shrinking aussie 09-03-2010 02:08 AM

26 pounds is an AWESOME loss, you should be so proud of yourself.

And I really believe that part of what we are doing with this Dukan mentality is learning that you can make up for a "bad" day (or week) with a good day. I mean, that is the crux of his theory really, that you use the PP days to drive weight loss, and that you do it for the rest of your life, firstly 5 straight, then 3-4 per week, then 1 per week. Each time the PP is what loses weight for you, and the PV is the more lenient day, when your weight fluctuates.

I really don't think you should beat yourself up about a less than average week, overall you are doing so well. And for me, the very fact that I can go up in La Jolla and then get back down over a few days is so empowering. Like I am the one in control of my weight, finally!

So good work you, CCB, don't get disheartened now!

shrinking aussie 09-03-2010 02:12 AM

oh, and I am PATHETIC at the exercise bit. I don't think I have done the walk more than twice. I work about 14 hours a day, and I have a 2 year old. And it is 110 degrees outside at the moment. I know i have to work out some way to do something, but it is the absolutely hardest bit for me. I do walk a lot at work, and I always take the stairs.

You can still lose weight without the exercise, though the best plan is definitely to fit it in if you can. Good luck!

chouchoubou 09-04-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinking aussie (Post 3465292)
I really believe that part of what we are doing with this Dukan mentality is learning that you can make up for a "bad" day (or week) with a good day. I mean, that is the crux of his theory really, that you use the PP days to drive weight loss, and that you do it for the rest of your life, firstly 5 straight, then 3-4 per week, then 1 per week. Each time the PP is what loses weight for you, and the PV is the more lenient day, when your weight fluctuates.
!

This is so true what you said here. I have really been able to train myself to go back to business as usual when i screw up...with pretty much guaranteed results by going back to PP....It's something that was much harder to do on other diets like a slim fast, or a meal plan, or that type of thing. I feel like I would just have to guess what to eat to lose that day, or eat a tiny amount of calories....Which is just so stressful for me. I am not one who likes to starve! LOL

There are so many aisles in the supermarket that i just don't even have to go down anymore by the way too. That's another thing I love about a hi-protien complex carb diet. I'm usually in and out, and don't even have to pass cookies even once :D

You definitely don't have to exercise on this diet. Not at all. A month ago i just was looking at my body and I felt really loose and flabby so I started to firm up some things namely my thighs and belly fat. I like to exercize during PV days it makes me feel like even if I'm not losing a lot of weight on those days at least i'm burning some by walking or stretching or whatever.

I'm 164 today! I am soooo needing these 4 pounds to GO!! :)

shrinking aussie 09-10-2010 01:58 AM

Oh yes - the supermarket run is quite liberating! I always feel a bit smug when I look at people selecting potato chips, and white bread. I'm so past that! (hehehe!)

I'm halfway to where I want to be, SO happy. Went through my closet last weekend, got rid of the stuff that is super big for me, and I can easily fit a whole lot of lovely clothes that I had pushed to the back b/c they were too small. I bought myself a new pair of shoes to celebrate!

How did those 4 pounds go? You can do it CCB!

arnoldblack 09-14-2010 07:05 AM

it's just a diet that tells u what u dukan and dukannot eat :-)

caroline46 09-18-2010 11:30 AM

New to Dukan Diet

Hi everyone i joined the site today and was delighted to find people who are on the Dukan diet. I bought the recipe book last week and the diet book arrived from Amazon today so i will start it tomorrow. I have heard and read some very encouraging stories about this diet so hopefully it will work for us. xx

shrinking aussie 09-18-2010 05:36 PM

Hi Caroline, welcome. Not too many of us Dukan-ers left though! I have found this method very successful, have lost almost 8kg in about 7 weeks. There is a great forum over on 3w taste com au (add dots between words - proper links won't publish on this site) , under the diet section that has a heap of information if you need some hints. Good luck!

caroline46 09-19-2010 04:20 PM

shrinking aussie thank you for your welcome. I found a great site last night dedicated to the dukan diet if you're interested it's called The Dukaners dot forum dot com very friendly and helpful site