Old 03-10-2002, 04:06 PM   #1  
Working My Way Happy!

Default Healthy Snack Ideas!

Hey guys,

I just found this on the ediets newsletter and thought I would share them with you.

Top 10 Low-Cal Snack Ideas

Tired of being told to munch on an apple when you’re in the mood for a quick snack? Read on for some tasty low-cal treats recommended by Nutricise Registered Dietitians

(Nutricise) — Healthy snacking doesn't have to mean boring food. That's why Nutricise nutritionists have compiled some of their favorite snacks -- with under 200 calories.

1) Skim on the Pudding
Pudding made with skim milk is a wholesome comfort food. Add a couple graham crackers to a fat free pudding snack cup for a treat as yummy as pudding pie! 100 calories per 1/2 cup serving (180 with 3 graham crackers)

2) Talk Soup
Dry or canned, most soups are great low calorie snack ideas. Try Lipton Chicken Vegetable Cup a Soup, serve with veggie sticks and whole grain crackers to warm and fill your tummy!
50 calories per serving of soup

3) Soy Good for You!
A tasty lower calorie alternative to other types of nuts – try soy nuts sprinkled on salads! 1/4 cup = 120 calories

4) Tator Time
Microwave a medium potato with fat free sour cream (or plain yogurt) and salsa or try baked sweet potato fries (microwave until soft, then slice, toast and serve)!
2 oz potato = 160 calories

5) Bean there? Done that?
Fat free refried beans are an excellent option. Here’s one food that’s an exception to the “avoid fried foods rule”. There’s no added fat to these babies! Try a bean tortilla: 1 small whole-wheat tortilla + 1/4 cup fat free refried beans + 2 tbsp salsa + 1 tbsp fat free sour cream = 1 delicious 170 calorie snack!

6) Cereal Killer
Not just for breakfast anymore! Now that you know how important it is to read food labels, ideal choices would be low calorie, high fiber cereals such as Kashi Good Friends or Cheerios. Try a mini box of kids’ cereal to satisfy a sweet tooth or to use as a low calorie dessert for 200 calories or less.

7) ¨Yo’ Yogurt!
Fat-free yogurts have as little as 80 calories per cup and make a sweet high-calcium, high-protein snack. Flavors such as vanilla, chocolate or café au lait mixed with fresh berries taste more like an indulgent dessert than a healthy snack.

8) Peanut Better!
Used sparingly, peanut butter makes for a satisfying snack or meal. Stick to 1 tbsp serving sizes and spread on anything from bread to fruit. Try on granny smith apples -- the sweetness of the peanut butter mixed with the tartness of the apple makes a great snack!

9) Hummus…not for just Dips!
Tired of munching on plain cut up veggies for your midday snack. Add hummus, a Mediterranean chickpea and garlic dip, for an exotic flare for only 25 calories per tablespoon.

10) Eggs-cellent Option!
Eggs have gotten a bad rap in recent years because of their high cholesterol content. However even those at risk for heart disease can have up to 3 egg yolks per week without worry. At only 75 calories each (whites are only 17 calories each), high protein eggs are a great snack choice. Try a rice cake topped with hard-boiled egg and tomato slices.

Sherri
lady06498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 04:22 PM   #2  

Thanks! I printed this and will copy and hand it out at the meeting next week!
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 05:48 PM   #3  
Mother Hen

Good job Sherri I am also going to make a copy
Eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 06:29 PM   #4  
Working My Way Happy!

Hi there,

I am glad you liked them. I planned on telling the ladies in my group about them also when we take office.

Sherri
lady06498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:57 PM   #5  

I like to take FF chocolate pudding and mix lite Cool Whip with it. Makes for a yummy snack, low calories and satisfies the sweet tooth.!!
Roziesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote