Old 07-23-2004, 04:37 AM   #1  

Default how is tops now

hi everyone. i am on the low carbing right now. i have been thinking of changing over to be able to go to tops and have the support group. i used to go to tops. i had a few issues that i never came back to tops. how do your meetings go now. when i went if you gained they made you wear a dunce cap. pretty embarrashing to me. i gaine 5 lbs one week and they told me i had to wear that cap ,so i left and never looked back. i do believe tops is a good program . are they run any better than the early 80'sh. sue
samanthajosmom_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:09 AM   #2  
senior chick

Hi Sue,

Yes, TOPS has made a lot of changes since then. Our chapter does not do anything to embarrass anyone. If they gain weight, we just say "we're glad you came". If members are embarrassed to say how much they gained at roll call, they just say, "I had a gain". No one asks how much. Also there are a lot of new people at headquarters and they have made changes in the national rules, too. You can go to www.tops.org and learn a lot about it.

Nita
FLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #3  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Sue,

You can go to your first meeting for free and decide if you like it or not!

We are glad to have you here with us
mompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:40 PM   #4  
senior chick

Sue, I forgot to say earlier that in TOPS you can use whatever diet you like.
Some of our members are low carbers, some on Atkins, some South Beach. As Penny stated, you can visit and see if you like it and if there are more than one in your area, check them all out to see which you like best.

Nita
FLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:59 AM   #5  

thank you for your kind words . i allways thought tops was a good place to be. i am going to check it out. thank you. sue
samanthajosmom_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:32 AM   #6  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

Sue,
Hope you enjoy! Let us know how it turns out!
Old 07-28-2004, 09:00 AM   #7  

How wonderful to hear TOPS has made changes! It has been years and I felt bad when I went because on the one hand the group I visited was so nice they were having a fund raiser for a local charity and seemed like a happy bunch...but the other hand the announcing of weight gained and the almost punitive responses and that cap horrified me!!! I would have lied to avoid that!!!...well I am happy to hear that like everything else TOPS has evolved!....thanks for the update I may have to check it out again too!
KidzRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:10 PM   #8  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

Please Do!

Don't let one bad chapter here ruin it for the rest of the clubs. You will find that each one is different b/c they don't all go by the "book" persay.

Good Luck
Old 01-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 208

Height: 5'3

Thumbs up

Tops is indeed a great organization with plenty of flexibility built in..... Cant say that I am a model member but have comitted my self for a healthier life style in 2005 I need to lose a 100 lb and the whole idea scares me to death.... I will however, take it one day at a time and with support and determination, work towards my goals.... barb
Indiacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 07:08 PM   #10  
Mother Hen

Do give TOPS another try.We never do anything to embarrass. We do not require anyone to say how much they gained.If they gain we say "See you lighter,Glad you came" I have been a member a long time and altho I am far far far away from my goal I would never leave. Find a group you feel comfortable with
Eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 306/261/160

Height: 5ft. 5.5 in

Hi, I just posted on another thread and realized it was an older thread. Just wanted
to say hello and to say I've been a member of tops for a long time. I've had my
ups and downs but wouldn't stop going to my meetings for anything. I'm contest
chairman and really enjoy doing them. I've also belonged to other weight support groups over the years but enjoy tops the most. Post later, hopefully lighter.
hilta
hilta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:15 PM   #12  
Nursie24740

Hi:
I want to encourage you to go back to TOPS. My chapter has really been an encouragement for me. They have never embarrassed me in any way. To the contrary, they have been there cheering me on in my weight loss journey. I look forward every week to our meeting. I have gained a few times but, they have never told anyone how much or shamed me in any way. They have said "You'll do better" and I did. Give TOPS another try and I believe you will find that they will be there when you are weak and need a helping hand.

Nursie24740
nursie24740 is offline   Reply With Quote