Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 01:13 AM   #1  
Juno

Thumbs down The 5% Club - Three Years of Health and Empowerment

Happy Anniversary to Us and to Everyone who finds themself in the happy percentage of people who make permanent changes in their lives and go forward with health and vitality!!! It was exactly 3 years ago today that I posted a heartfelt post on "Buddy Up!" and wondered, "Do people actualy answer these bulletin boards or what?" The next day I had gotten some emails (nice people, long dispersed into the universe) and a reply from kmh that really connected. As we wrote back and forth we were joined by many others, some of whom have come and gone, and I continue to send energy to all as we continue in our lives and our fitness quests. Steph is the longest loyal pal from that original group, and I feel like I know her like she is in my own town. Sometimes we "bump into" each other a lot, sometimes a week will go by between 'seeing her at the grocery store,' - you know what I mean - we are interwoven into each other's lives somewhat, via this unique time in history, on the web.

What am I going to do to celebrate? I can really relate to Justy's last post of the last thread - in this sort of celebration we need not each bake a cake and open champagne. For me this is more of an inner celebration, and the very best way I can think of to celebrate is to continue forward, to appreciate my 5% friends and all they have meant to me in this endeavor, and to be proud of all that has happened.

Three years ago I was spurred on because was 39 and age 40 was on the horizon. Now I am age 42 and I am smaller than I was in high school, and most certainly in better shape. Since 06/18/98 I have taken on jogging, working out at the club, Joyce Vedral workouts, have ventured further into vegetarian eating, taken on ballet as a 42-year-old nondancer, dabbled in yoga, concocted esoteric juices from my juicer, made marvelous soups, made friends with the Buffer (elliptical trainer), and read countless books and articles with things to offer on health, fitness, weight management and personal enrichment. I know you all have taken a similar path. I have also lounged on the couch, eaten large amounts of Cheetos, Easter candy and Christmas cookies, struggled with feeling uninspired and unmotivated to work out one more day, dealt with a thwarting schedule with work, kids, activities, had debilitating colds that laid me flat. And that is ALL the POINT:

You know that lady in the magazines, the Carefree Fitness lady (actually she looks a bit more like a girl) - she wears skin-baring fitness clothes, is muscled and slim, has even, white teeth and a Cameron Diaz smile and laugh, she has a look of rapture on her face as she works out, as she does every day without fail, and when she sits down to her dinner of salad and a naked chicken breast her joy is complete. This lady is a myth, my friends, and balancing our health and fitness with the above-mentioned realities is what the actual point is in the 5% club.

In the 5% club, we are not perfect but we are better than we used to be.

In the 5% club, we hit roadblocks from time to time but we develop resources to get around them.

In the 5% club, we try to move away from what isn't working and to embrace what is. And we try to find new things to add to our journey.

In the 5% club, we are totally accepting of the cycles in our lives, and we pay homage to where we are and where we aren't. When we are not doing so great, we know that with those 'baby steps' we will get to our better habits and abilities in good time. When we are flying high, doing great, we put a little of that great energy in our 'bank' because we know we will need the inspiration to draw on when we get a little low later on down the road.

I the 5% club we know our friends are out there. We send them energy and draw on theirs as we go forth and be great.

So - greetings to all of you and have a fabulous 5% day! Let's take this week to reflect on where we have been and where we are going. And let's also do something wonderful and healthy for ourselves, "above and beyond" the usual call of duty!!!!! Have a great day and I hope we can all take a moment to check in!!

Love

Juno

Last edited by Juno; 06-18-2001 at 01:02 PM.

Old 06-18-2001, 01:18 PM   #2  

Happy anniversary!!

Just have a moment but wanted to check in and wish everyone a fabulous day. May this year have more power, strength and personal growth for all of us.

Love Justy
Old 06-19-2001, 05:43 AM   #3  
Juno

Just a check-in today. I was bummed because the aerobics teacher did not show - that is her arrangement if the weather is nice and it was today - though my fingers were crossed that she would show up because her class is so energizing! Ah well, I did abs and arms and then cardio and felt really strong, good food today, just feeling like things are right on. I am back to Juno fighting weight says the scale this morning!

I would love to see more participants in the 5% club. Just for more interchange, to go along with our dear friends. I wonder if we should move to one of the other forums. Let me know what you think? Maybe "support" or "exercise" would find us some new pals. Otherwise, I fear we are playing the same record to each other - wonderful record that it is. What do you-all think?

I have also read Suzanne FC's post above about the pop up adverts. I admit I have become lax about clicking on links, but it is a good reminder because this is a good site and obviously it doesn't come free.

Well as usual I am up much too late into the night. It is off to bed for me. go 5%!

Juno

Old 06-19-2001, 08:45 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone. Gosh it feels good to say that again!

Juno – As always, thank you for the inspiring lead-post, and for keeping us on track. I for one would certainly welcome any attempt to gain new posters. I think we really have something special here. But if you move – let me know where we go!

I thought of all of you yesterday. And quite a bit of personal reflection too. I, like Juno, think of you as friends and wonder often how you’re all doing. I wonder what makes all of you tick, and what your personal motivations are for keeping with this journey for so long. I wonder when I’ll get it all together and feel good about where I am at in my journey. I hear the 30’s are good =)

But, in celebration of all of you, yesterday I roller bladed 6 miles, walked for 40 minutes and ate a HEALTHY Chinese dinner. Mind you, it’s close to 90 around here now. But the sweat was good for me.

Tonight is a ballgame, but not til late pm. Hopefully it won’t be as warm. Will try and get out and walk at lunch too.

Sorry to dash off, but I’m late for an appointment. Will check in soon. Diva dust to all!
Old 06-22-2001, 01:45 PM   #5  

Well NO I haven't fallen off the face of the earth!!! I'm here...going crazy with workhomelifeprogress!

Juno gave me a little beepbeep email the other day and embarrassed to say its been like a month? maybe since I've posted??

Yikes!

Juno as always a very introspective start up post on this thread! Three years already at 5%! It doesn't seem possible. To think of all the changes, both large and small, we have all made! It boggles the mind! Remember BG's scale rating of exercise? We were all there, rating ourselves everyday for a long time! And slowly we discovered what we truly loved (okay well maybe not love all the time) to do with our bodies!

From yoga to dance to weights to running to sports....wow do we do it all!

Vacation was great...I partied WAY too hard. And everywhere I went people commented on my biceps. That was very strange for me. I'm not used to getting attention in that manner.

Work is crazy - which means I'm very stressed out. I have one particular client who can't decide if they are coming or going and they make me run in circles.

Home life is good. It takes its normal dips and curves. There are of course tons of things we need to "do" and don't have the money, time or energy to do it. Its hard to prioritize sometimes when it comes to your home.

In the middle of all of this I completed my certification course to be a Personal Trainer and I'm currently marketing myself to gyms in my area. This is a big leap of faith for me...one that I am proud and happy to take.

Body work is coming along nicely. The zig zag food plan I mentioned a while back is wonderful! I eat so much (good whole food of course) on the high calorie weeks its almost a relief to get back to the restricted level! Body fat is going down again at a nice slow pace. Pictures will happen soon...you won't believe the changes!

My back still bothers me time to time...I think I'm getting to the "age" where when you injure yourself in a delicate area it hangs around permenantly. I'm taking good care of it though!

I've barely had time to just skim through the last thread...just enough to get the basics on everyone. I'll try to be more diligent but know that even if I'm not posting I'm still here!!

Juno I'm okay with a thread move to another board...I'll track you guys down where ever you land!

Take care everyone! Raychel
Old 06-24-2001, 10:01 AM   #6  

I can't believe I have only 24 hours left of my vacation (8 of which I need to sleep). I am already looking forward to the actual fun vacation in July because this was a lot of work. I do have a beautiful new ceramic kitchen floor but if anyone out there is thinking of putting in ceramic call me so I can tell you how much work it is. Since we put in the new floors we cleaned all the cupboards, touch-up with stain, painted the kitchen. DH did most of the harder stuff so I can't complain but I was working too. He spent the whole week working but I did make time to do some fun stuff so I had a better time than he did.

I haven't exercised since last Saturday but I have done quite a bit of labor and leisure walking. I can really feel my middle section needs some exercise bad. As soon as I finish typing I will be hitting the treadmill for a quick sprint and then out to my weights. Our food selections for the past week have been crappy too since it was eat out, eat "picnic" type stuff at others, or junk in microwave. I have been appliance-less since the 15th. Never knew how much I loved my stove!! Hopefully we can get that back this morning and lunch and dinner can be good!

Juno, how you find the time to think up inspiring intro's is beyond me! I am sitting down knowing that there is a list of junk for me to do and no wonderful thoughts come to my head. Baby steps, road blocks, LIFE, and all those other little pitfalls that try to thwart my helpful being are getting much easier to just step over and continue on. I think I've found much more of a peace with myself since posting here because I have taken much more control of my life and make time for me. I know at the beginning I had littler kids so it has been easier since they have grown. Now I am approaching a different stage in my life this year which means my kids will have more outside activities so I will be struggling with trying to blend them in. C moves back permanently in Aug. so I will have a highschooler who anticipates involvement in a few sports and wants a job. MN weather makes it kind of hard to bike around Oct - Apr so I imagine some eye rolling on my part in helping to transport her. A starts kindergarten so that is a whole new venture. I want to be an involved mom but also want to be happy with the other things in my life.

Raychel - I kept wondering when you would post but I don't have your e-mail so I couldn't drop you a line. I was wondering if you were having a hectic work life since my GF is in the same line and she is just stressed out right now and thinking of changing positions. Our bodies take longer to recover from the bumps once it realizes we aren't 20 anymore, boo hoo!

Congratulations on the Personal Trainer certification!! Wish I were there so I could be your first client!!!!!!!!!

Catherine - The 30's are good just because most people tend to get wiser immediately. I can see as a parent why we try to steer our kids because you think so differently in your late teens and 20's then you ever would now. No regrets about my life but I would have loved my 30's wisdom. We just turned the AC on here because 88 today, 92 tomorrow. I am not fond of anything over 80 but what can I do. Enjoy your softball - I live through your team sports since that is something I used to partake in.

JS - I am glad that you are heading into this year with such a great outlook and such positive strength! Your last posts have been filled with energy that we can all draw off of. Sounds like you are on a great path to a happier JS and I look forward to seeing you follow that path.

Okay it is 9am here and I need to be done exercising by 10. I am ignoring my kids, have the list of 23 things to be done by bedtime and I want to finish my book I bought to enjoy over vacation and I can't get to the end!!!!!!!

I don't care if we move forums either - I'm not attached to a board as long as I don't lose my friends

Happy 5%, Strong 5%, Powerful 5%, Excellent bunch of women!!

Stephanie
Old 06-27-2001, 12:50 PM   #7  

Default Hi Everyone

I have a few minutes to sneak in, and wanted to catch up with all of you.

Raychel - I am so proud of you for completing your certification. That is wonderful and I'm so jealous. Let us know how the journey continues. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds. I do know that you're going to be great at it! Woohoo!

Steph- Sounds like you're busier than ever. An a teenager moving in to boot! They keep you young though! Or, realize how old you're getting!

As for me, things are going really well. I was sick for a day last week and lost 5 pounds. Water weight I'm sure, but a motivator none-the-less. I've been working out more regularly, and due to the heat, at a much higher rate. Last night we had a double header nad then I walked for 40 minutes. All in 85+ degree heat. Whew! It was fun though because I played a spectacular game and even won a card for best defensive play of the game. Picture a diving catch, girls =)

Eating has been a ton better. Partly due to conscious effort, partly due to the heat and lack of time. Whatever the reason, it's good.

That's if from me. Keep in touch everyone, I think of you often!

C
Old 06-27-2001, 03:58 PM   #8  

Hi Ladies - a quick check in from me while I have few moments left on my lunch hour.

Thanks for your congrats on the certification. I am eager to get started and am sending out intro packets to local gyms....now its a waiting/selling game.

Steph - The house work counts as exercise! Truly! We tend to work longer and more consitently on a "project" and it really does make a difference. Besides you are on vacation...not supposed to be working out everyday anyway!!

Catherine - uck. Sick in the warm weather! Glad you are feeling better and on track!

Take care everyone!
Old 07-02-2001, 09:13 AM   #9  

I wanted to check in before the holiday and vacations set in.

I am doing so well lately. I'm down 5 lbs and feel so much better. Have been really trying to keep myself positively occupied and moving all the time. My biggest weakness - food- has become my better area. For some reason I'm eating just three good meals and being ok wih it, instead of hungry all the time. Whatever it is I'm not complaining. Excercise has still been hard, but I've been doing a lot of "other" things that count too.

I read a quote this morning that stuck with me. "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is liking what you get." Isn't that what it's all about?

I am looking forward to the holiday and some needed time off. Hope you're all going to be enjoying yourselves. Take care and be safe.
Old 07-03-2001, 03:03 PM   #10  

I keep looking at my watch and wondering why it isn't moving faster....after all today is a Holiday -yahoo!!!! I just hopped on briefly to say hi and wish everyone a safe & happy 4th. No traveling for us this week (just have tomorrow off) but we are seeing fireworks tonight and then just hanging out tomorrow. I only have 2 kids on Thur & Friday so it will seem like a vacation!

Things are fine here. I have decided that my slack off approach to exercise in the summer has done nothing for me but make me crabby so I put myself back on a tighter and harder schedule. My mood has greatly improved already.

Hope everyone has a day off and enjoys themselves. I have 6 (yes 6) 10-day books that all came on-hold for me at the library. They are all books I have been wanting to read and would buy if I were rich but now I am banging my head against the wall trying to read. 2 of them are read.......(but they are still here) and I have 4 to go. Guess I will be hanging on my deck as much as possible lounging and reading!!

Happy Happy 4th of July!

Stephanie
Old 07-03-2001, 05:39 PM   #11  

Talking

Hullo there! Happy almost 4th of July!

Ahh Steph - a book orgy!! No, a book binge!! How wonderful and no calories!!

Catherine - I love those times when everything just "clicks" with food. You don't think about it, worry about it or obsess about it. You eat, you are satisfied and thats all there is too it!! Always makes me wonder when it gets tough with food - I mean what the heck were we were doing when it was so easy!!??

Good news!! I sent out my intro letter, case studies and reference letter from ISSA to one of the largest gyms in the County and the owner called me over the weekend for an interview tonight!! I'll keep you all posted...I'm excited! I did some research on the establishment and here good things all around about them....Its nearly 3pm my time right now and the interview is at 5:15. I'm just starting to get a bit nervous now.

Wish me luck!! Talk to you later!
Old 07-05-2001, 07:10 PM   #12  

OMG - well, turns out I'm offered the Fitness Director position at the interview!! The owner wasn't aware of my HR/Admin background because I didn't send him my resume in my intro packet. (Since nothing on the resume shows anything fitness related) But I brought it with me to the interview. I have a second interview tonight with the other directors...

It pays a bit less but not really when you compare hourly salary and regular salaried employee and the taxes that come with it...plus I'm regulated to 20 hrs admin duties, 20 hrs on the floor as fitness instructor.

How about them apples gals?????
Old 07-07-2001, 11:21 AM   #13  

Raychel - That is so wonderful!!!!!!!! Even if you don't accept I think that is just thrilling news! I even told my DH about it last night at dinner as such an inspirational fitness story (I had showed him your pics along time ago and we couldn't figure out why you didn't think you were a fitness goddess!).

Keep us informed because I feel like a very proud sister! I am going to draw some inspiration from your success. I need some direction right now as I feel like I am foundering. I have been on a very determined course for the past week and am setting about making some major changes.

I read your post the other day and should have taken a minute to post a congrats but I've been cheering for you in my head until this moment. Way To Go Raychel!!!!!!!!

Now I am off to the movies to see Cats & Dogs.

Steph
Old 07-07-2001, 01:49 PM   #14  

I just had to pop on for a minute and say

Yahoo Raychel!!!!!!!!

Either way you decide, I am so proud of you!!
Old 07-09-2001, 04:59 AM   #15  
Juno

Default I'm Still Here!!!

My Friends --

Gosh I guess I just have to start out with Raychel's fantastic news. :wink: With your determination and perseverance I have to add myself to the list of the "not surprised" - but I know that you are still pinching yourself. Don't you sometimes want to go back in time to visit yourself at your lowest and tell yourself to be more kind and to just wait at what is in store in the future! I sure wish we were more proximal because I would love to make use of your services! Oh well you will be online or emailing soon enough! The idea of a new job sounds fantastic!

Steph I am envious of those books. My book club meets next Friday and I have not even been able to get my hands on a copy of our book. (I am known to go anyway.) I am reading a book by Kenzaburo Oe "A Quiet Life" whenever I find myself with a minute, which as you all know is seldom. Also doing a lot of homey books, time management books and self improvement type books that I don't so much read as skim through at odd tea-break moments.

Catherine I am so glad things are clicking so well for you this summer. I am having a good summer as well. I feel that certain aspects of my body have changed permanently for the better, as if some structural changes have taken place. Some of my stellar achievement was struck down a bit over the last 2 weeks - company for one of the weeks, my daughter's birthday involving a kid party and a family party, and the holiday. July 4th is my favorite holiday as some of you well know, but it wreaks havoc with my sleep pattern and my unusual working hours. Wednesday is not my first choice. In Juneau our city fireworks display, which is wonderful, is on the night of the 3rd and is at midnight - because we are so far north there are only a couple of hours of darkness. Makes for a late night! (That's nothing, the 6 years I summered in the Interior I never saw fireworks at all because up there there is NO darkness at that time of year.) On July 4 we had the parade and then a barbecue with friends (Juno indulges in 2 off-character blender drinks) and then had to return home to work as the clinics were open the 5th.

Needless to say the weekend was welcome.

I won't enter into it in an overly lengthy way but I really decided to make simplicity the rule this weekend. I canceled a dinner date with friends. I ignored emails from the dance studio calling for dance master selection help and declaring a pot-luck (ordinarily I'm first in line for that stuff). I left the house only to work out at my club, both days (as I recover from the holiday week)...and what a good decision it was. I just have to slow down. How many little essays do I have to write on using the "N" word ("NO") before it really sticks to me? Well I think I am there.

Justy I hope you get a minute to illuminate us on your life. I'm not sure if we know is the divorce final or progressing or what? Do you ever have any regrets? Was your new life of healthful living in any way a catalyst for these dramatic changes?

This summer I sort of made up a very streamlined strength training segment, designed for time efficiency - and I am marvelling at how well is it working! Marvelling because I have worked lots harder in the past, but maybe it is muscle memory or maybe I just picked the right things to do, but it really is hitting the spots. I am using mostly the cybex machines and some dumbbell stuff, mats for abs and the buffer, using concepts gleaned from Joyce. The awesome aerobics teacher is gone all of July - boo hoo. I may approach her for learning her method and being a sub for her when she returns.

I can see I will have to do some lurking in our "neighborhood" as I just don't understand what the cow thing is all about. Am still pondering the idea of a new place to park the thread, but there is still time to decide together IF and WHERE.

My goals this week involve continuing to live in the moment, to call myself on it when I get my priorities out of alignment and to remember what great achievements the smallest steps can add up to. I'm ready for some beautiful workouts.

Have an awesome week--

Juno

Closed Thread