Old 04-28-2006, 09:33 PM   #166  
Give peace a chance.

Kickin' us up to the top.

Anyone for starting a new thread for May?
Catlover777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:07 PM   #167  

Hello Ladies,

Just a quick hello. I"m still sick. Allergies have really got me down. Staying in today and just resting.

Cat - Let's see if anyone else wants to start the thread. I"m not good at adding any pictures or anything. If no one else volunteers i can try.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 06:35 PM   #168  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Quick dash in before I go off to gym.

Hope you get rid of those allergies soon Patty. Nothing worse than painful sinus' and feeling down and blue.

Nita - interesting about that chef. There are a few around here who practice the healthy eating syndrome. Their restaurants are always popular.

Morning Cat and Mooz and Hal.

This week I am training at a place called Groote Eylandt which is right at the very top of Australia in the Tropics. In fact it is not that far from the equator. This will be a new experience since I have not been up there before. Apparently the Island is closed to tourists and is run by an Aboriginal tribe and the mine which produces manganese pays royalties to the owners allowing them to live as they have done for hundreds of years. In the past they have allowed tourists but the drink and drugs which came with the tourists was untenable for the locals and they got sick and abusive so they have banned visitors except at the mine. They are coming to terms with the 21st century in their own way. I'm working at the mine for a week. It should be an interesting trip. Wish me luck. They tell me the beaches are inhabited by crocodiles!!!!!!

Anyway I had better go. Busy day ahead here with gym, shopping and catching up with friends. DS2 gave me a clean house, weeded, mowed, edged and trimmed garden and took me out for dinner for my birthday present. I am blessed, no housework for me today apart from a couple of dishes to wash.

See you.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #169  

Hello Ladies,

I"m still trying to get well. These allergies have really gotten me down. I even stayed home all weekend. I'm trying to take it easy at work, which is not easy being out 4 days last week. I'm not doing to good on the diet either, when I'm sick I want comfort foods.

Shad - Happy Belated Birthday! Tell us more about your work adventure when you get back. I"m going to look up Groote Eylandt as soon as I log off from here. Watch out for those crocodiles...
Old 05-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #170  
Give peace a chance.

Default Hi, all

Shad--
That sounds so interesting. Let us know what happened.

Patty--have you seen an allergist? I love mine--he made my life so much better

Hi to all the rest.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 AM   #171  

Here I am on Groote Eylandt. It took 10 hours by plane to get here. It is about as far away from anywhere as you can get.
There was a notice on the board today to miss the beach (which is fenced off anyway) because there is a 4 metre crocodile patrolling the beach. No one will get me near the beach now.
We can get a drink after our meal (everywhere else is dry) at a place called the ARC. Can't spell the name of the town so will spare you the difficulties. Walked home with the other contractors in the dark and we saw a lovely owl sitting on a pole. I got a photo. Haven't had much time to look at anything much yet. Got in late, got sorted out with accommodation, went to the mess for dinner and went to bed - stuffed.

Tonight I hope to go on a long walk to see what is around the joint. Funny little township - and we are not allowed into the reserves unless we have a pass - but it is definitely not tropical paradise island like Tahiti or Fiji. Although some of the folks here just love it.

Time to get on with it. I'm training in and learning about the Real Estate module today.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:02 AM   #172  
Mooz

Hi everyone ..... .... just a quick drop in to let you know I am still alive!
I have put on about 6 pounds since my mums funeral and I need to get a grip of things before it gets out of hand! I just can't seem to stop eating the rubbish
Apart from that things are going on OK
Brian and Paul are still at their jobs. Orla will soon have finished her second year at University. Sinead came back from India early for my mums funeral and then she gave up her job in Belfast. She hated it mainly because of the long shifts ..... usually 10 hours at a time and they were very unsociable hours such as from 7pm till 5 am. She also hated the house she shared in Belfast.
She went to a local Recruitment Agency and at the moment she has been given hours in a Leisure Centre and in a Solicitors office both in a town about 20 mins drive from here. So it is nice to have her home again at night. Hopefully she will get a permanent job through the Recruitment Agency.

Will read through the posts and talk to you all at a later time .....

Have a good day all
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #173  
Give peace a chance.

Shad--how fascinating. We all know so little about Australia.

Mooz--glad to see you back. Be gentle with yourself while you grieve. The only thing you might think about is non-food ways to treat yourself.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:26 AM   #174  
Mooz

Mornin chicks ....... just a quick call ....... going shopping with Sinead today ...
....... still haven't caught up on what you all have been doing ......
Have a good day all ........
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:23 PM   #175  

Hello ladies,

Cat - I haven't seen an allergist. This usually hits me once a year. I get all stuffed up and then I get pressure in my ears. This time It really hit me hard, but i'm thinking my immune system was down (tired) and then their was a death in my family, the same week it started. I'm starting to feel better, every evening i've been going home and basically resting.

Mooz - Hope you and Sinead had a fun shopping day. Don't worry about those 6 lbs. You can lose them later. Be good to yourself right now.

Shad - Oh, I think it would be so interesting to go to the reserves. I'm sure the beaches are beautiful, minus the crocodiles. Keep us informed on your adventure.

Last edited by 1day@atime; 05-04-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #176  
Give peace a chance.

Well, I love my allergist. He made my life so INCREDIBLY much better.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #177  

Default RE: Derby Day in Kentucky...

Hey Movers and Losers!

It is good to see everyone is doing well, I am just fine. My WW 3 month program ended and I think I attended 6 meetings. I lost the opportunity to attend meeting night when my teacher Intern announced the only night of the week he could meet was the only night WW meets here. So... add to the mix this guy cancelled his out of class (required) meetings for weeks in a row. I did not recommed passing this guy for his internship, but believe it or not the state teacher educator and the school principal (Vocational school) both gave him flying colors. The principal admitted to me this guy was highly popular in her building, and IF she did not pass him she would face the rath of the other teachers. I'll never serve for her again. I told her straight up passing him was her death sentence as he fails to follow state curriculum and their students continue to test lowly (this vocational school scored the lowest in the state in January - and it is located in the state capital city). She said I was right, and still passed him. This time last Saturday, I was meeting with him all day, holding him accountable to his out of class hour requriement. He did not attempt to work, but chatted non stop and passed the time. Sometimes...

OneDay: You are right, stress will allow things to happen to us physically. I am always fascinated by the new diet programs that include a form of relaxation such as yoga along with exercise. Not that I am doing either, but I want to. Wannnna. Rocky is laying in the sun on the kitchen floor as I type. He keeps looking at me to see if I am going to stop so he can follow me. I think the new groomer is a hit. He looks great.

Shad: Happy Birthday to you, Happy Belated Birthday to you!! I need to do a better job of posting more routinely. I hope it was a good one. It sounds like you are on yet another adventure. Thanks for taking us with you!

Cat: I did see an allergist about 4 years ago, went through all the tests and shots and came up clean - no allergies. Later I figured out I had fallen hard and hit my chin (tripped over a concrete parking barrier - I had a arm full of things loading my Jeep at a motel and in a hurry) I damaged my sinuses and chipped a tooth - which took a few months to fall apart. The sinus thing drove me nuts. My allergist made me comfortable with eye drops, sinus spray and a medication. I tried several until I found one that had no side effects. I think I took it for about 2 months. Good luck with your tests.

I live a few blocks from the state capitol buidling where a Derby breakfast is being hosted by our Governor. It is a big deal, and I really should go walk through. Free food. LOL Some crafting and music also. They run buses here because parking is at a premium in this area. It is a beauftiful day here in central Kentucky. Now that the new teacher internship is over and my Tuesdays are mine I plan to rejoin, write another check to WW and finally get serious. For me....

Now, to shop, prepare a pretty and tasty veggie and fruit tray, and place my Derby bet.

HalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #178  

Morning all,

I'm back from the tropical north. Sorry to hear that some of you are being sick with allergies. Hope you get better soon. Spring and spring flowers seem to trigger a lot of allergies these days.

Hal - Derby day sounds interesting in your neck of the woods. Melbourne has race fever here in November with the Melbourne Cup. It's always a carnival day too.

I'm getting used to the city noises again. Although it is very quiet around my house, there are aeroplanes and sirens etc in the distance frequently. The sound of lawnmowers and chain saws also breaks the silence. Never heard them on Groote Eylandt. Apart from a few cars we never heard anything except frogs and birds.

Groote is an island off the coast of Arnheim land in the Gulf of Carpentaria about 630k east south east of Darwin. It is completely isolated except for the airport and the seaport. The company (BHPBilliton) leases land in the western sector to mine the managanese. Manganese is used to harden steel. The majority of the ore is washed, taken to the port in huge road trains and put onto ships going to China, Japan, USA, and Europe. A small amount is sent to Tasmania by sea to be refined for use here. It is estimated that there is another 20 years left in the mine. It's been going since 1964. This is one of the best producing manganese strip mines anywhere. It's easy to get out, doesn't require refining apart from washing and so is a big money earner.
The airport and the port have been built by the company on land leased from the local Aboriginal tribes. The town is built on leased land consists of around 1000 permanent people and assorted hangers on like me.
There is only one main road - from the mine to the port - that is sealed. The road is kept in good condition by the company because of the road trains. The roads in town are sealed (around the pot holes) and are maintained by the company.
At the town itself, there is a shopping arcade - Post office, Chemist, and a couple of general type stores - souvenirs - joke, no one comes to the island for a holiday, kids shoes, some clothes, fishing gear - and a travel agent. Further down the road there is a supermarket. Huge amounts of frozen food. Food and other supplies, mail, mining gear etc comes by barge once a week. At the end of the week any fresh food such as salad type stuff is beginning to look a bit tired. For all that, the mining fraternity live very well. There is no alcohol sales on the island - or rather very little since there is a bottle shop at the A.R.C. (Alyangular Recreation Club) - but one has to have a permit to keep alcohol or drink in any place other than the ARC or the Golf Club.
There is a primary school on the Island but the kids have to go to boarding school for further education. Generally the family moves off Island at that time.
There is a swimming pool, tennis courts, netball, AFL (Aussie Rules football) and soccer fields and a gym. They have a Golf course and a Gun club and the Mess Hall for visiting consultants, people in single room accommodation and some of the shift workers. There is a police station but there appears to be little crime and the kids are pretty safe around there. It would be a good place for kids. For all that the company brings in a Psychologist for a week a month to deal with any problems arising.

There are a few Aboriginals who live and work in town, but the majority are Caucasian Australian as well a few imports from Kiwiland, Britain and South Africa. The town occupies a small portion of land on the western side of the Island. It is not swaying palm trees and white sand like the travel brochures.
The island is mostly flat, mostly native vegetation. You can not leave town and go inland anywhere without a permit. There are places you can not go even with a permit, since these are sacred sites. You can boat around the island at anytime, fishing or snorkelling (look out for the funny knobbly logs of wood floating on the water) but you can not land anywhere without permission.
The local Aboriginal people have 2 towns further east on the Island. They are rarely seen. They do live in houses but they mainly live off the land using the hunter/ gatherer subsistence living methods they have used for centuries. Every so often war breaks out between factions. They are left to deal with it themselves as they have always done. I'm told they are the happiest, most stable Aborigines in Australia.
The land itself is more or less as it was last century, the century before, and those that came before that. Therefore you find on the island, wildlife that existed that existed thousands of years ago. There has been no clearing of land apart from the strip mining and that is within a confined space. Most of the vegetation is savannah forest - ie gum trees with grass and low secondary growth. It's easy to see through unlike the dense rainforests of Queensland. Wildlife consists of a great many reptiles, a great many frogs which have been almost wiped out on the mainland, a large number of birds (the only non native is the Galah - a result of a mating pair being let loose some years back by a returning miner), wallabies and small marsupials and there is a healthy population of dingos to keep the critturs in check. You don't get to see many animals really apart from the birds. The wily critturs don't venture into town. It is mostly nature as it used to be from what I am told. Didn't see many butterflies - but then there are not a great number of flowers.
The mining workers are extremely well paid. They live in cheap rented accommodation - the price is cheap, the accommodation seems to be fine (can't own anything on Groote) and no doubt if they stay for several years, they could be financially set up for life. There is power, tv, satellite communications, and you can take the vehicle over if you wish - just not many places to drive it and 4 wheel drive is almost mandatory since the only sealed roads are in town, the rest are dirt and mud tracks.

Could I live there? Don't know. Provide I could fit in with the community - and there is a large sense of community there, then it would probably be okay. I suspect I would need to go to Darwin once a month to get away from the place. Probably I am a bit too solitary for there. For families with small children it is ideal. The children would grow up with a sense of freedom, but may be vulnerable to the preys of town life afterwards. But they would grow up without too many hangups and probably no colour barriers.

This is a part of Groote from the air. Unfortunately the clouds come over and the township disappeared.

Anyway, I've written a book. I need to get to the gym.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:51 PM   #179  

S/C/G: 148.8

Height: 5 ft

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't posted for quite some time. We are having a difficult time finding the "perfect" home back in PA. It is very frustrating. The main reason for the problem is Gene's disability and the fact that he is definitely on the walker all the time now. So we need a place with only one step to get into. There is a brand new carriage/condo home development going in right across the street from where my daughter lives. I do believe this is going to be the best possible solution. It has two bedrooms and two baths downstairs and a loft with a bathroom upstairs which I can use for my office/sewing room, etc. They are a little expensive but if we can sell this house at a profit, we can definitely swing a deal. Our realtor, who works for RE/MAX, says it is going to be their baby to sell all the units and we are probably the only potential buyers who have access to the floor plans. It is sort of exciting, but on the other hand rather stressful. I have already a lot of my homework and from what I gather hiring the right mover will be the most important element of this whole excursion. The other thing that sort of bothers me is that I will be solely responsible for driving us to PA--about 2300 miles. Oh well, I have to think positive and look at this as an adventure. I would assume if we dont' do it now we will never be able to handle it. Gene seems to be holding his own but doesn't seem to be improving.

Before I forget--Happy Birthday Shad. It seems to me you have a rather adventuresome life yourself. I am very proud of you!

HalGal -- I am with you--I have three more weeks to weigh in and I have only attended two meetings. I was doing pretty well until Easter and since then I have fallen off the wagon. I did buy some Pomegranite juice because some doctor on Oprah said it was very good for you! I probably have to go to a health food store though to get the real thing. I just bought Langer's which also has cranberry juice in it.

Well I guess I will check the home listings again. I do this almost every day hoping to find that "perfect" or next-to-perfect home!

Take care all and have a wonderful Sunday.

Anita

p.s. I did manage to go to exercise class two times this past week and I even walked on the treadmill on Saturday.
Nita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #180  
Give peace a chance.

Shad--thanks for all the interesting info. Sounds very adventurous to me.

Nita--will pray for that perfect home and strength for the drive. Have you thought of contacting the independent living center if there is one? The one here helps people with disabilities find housing.

I have this Sunday evening feeling that there was so much else I wasgoing to do . . .