Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 AM   #1  

Default STOP THE INSANITY! Weekly Challenge #1

The object of this thread is to STOP THE INSANITY! of doing the same thing week in and week out to lose weight, expecting different results, and not getting them! We invite you to challenge yourself to establish a new weight loss ACTION each week and repeat it for 7 days straight. Choose whatever inspires you and will make a difference in your weight loss goal - a certain amount of water intake each day, no sweets, a certain amount or kind of exercise a day, etc.

If you don't master the action - take it on another week. Once you have mastered the action, continue that challenge but if you are not losing weight (or inches) STOP THE INSANITY! and up the anty on that goal or take on another. We will weigh in and declare our challenge(s) for the week each Monday. I will award kudos for each day you report success and at the end of the week for total pounds lost.

We will support each other by staying focussed on our successes and/or challenges of the day and week and keep our personal stories to a minimum.

Let's see how much we can lose by Valentine's Day!

mscat-
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:25 AM   #2  

Default Happy Monday!

Although this is already January 2 - this is the first day for the rest of our lives. How do you like the new theme for the thread "STOP THE INSANITY!" ??? Thanks to carla for this brilliant idea! Hope it gets you going.

Please note the slight change to the purpose of the thread -do it for a week or more until it stops working. Then change it, increase it, add something else to it but do something different - never be satisfied with the status quo. The description of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. I ask that we each pledge to be taskmasters of each other in "STOPPING THE INSANITY" when we become complacent. This is really about pushing the boundaries especially when we reach those dreaded plateaus.

Today I am reporting my starting weight as 237. My goals this week are to drink 64 oz min., do at least 15 minutes of exercise a day. My bonus goal (not counting in this week's challenge) is to track my WW points and attend a meeting.

Looking to hear from everyone today!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:26 AM   #3  

A new year started, and new opportunities for success in all things.

The first official weigh-in of the year, and less damage than I feared: up about a pound instead of the 3 or 4 I thought. Once again, proof that it actually takes sustained excess to really keep gaining! And proof too that it pays to nip those bad behaviours in the bud asap. (I found it interesting how quickly I started to crave sweets and other goodies again - it really is like a form of insanity! ) Who knew!

This week's challenges: 1) To be in bed, TV and computer off by midnight; 2) No eating after 8 pm EXCEPT for veggies and/or one decaf skim cappucino.

TOGETHER WE CAN SUCCEED!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 PM   #4  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

What a great idea, I'd love to join you ladies.

I've had alot of health problems these last few months, including a flirt with what turned out to not be rheumatoid arthritis but very close to it. My doctor has put me on a diet and exercise program which is crucial to me now more than ever.

My starting weight is (ummm do I HAVE to tell? ) 242.

My goals for the next 7 days are to stick to the food program and track my carbs like I am supposed to. 3 bottles of water a day - at least 50 oz and 30 minutes of exercise. It might seem like alot all at once but I've been prepping for this for the last 2 weeks. I didn't get completely into it as I was out of town for the Christmas holidays and cut myself some slack. New Year now, no more excuses.

It's 67 glorious degrees out here (highly unusual) - so I think a walk out in the fresh air with a bottle of water is in order - see 2 out of 3 goals in one pop.

I wish you all success - I promise to be here for you if you need a hug, encouragement or some old fashioned and I hope you'll do the same for me.

Thanks for starting the thread MsCat, c'mon girls, let's do the hussle!

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-02-2006 at 02:56 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #5  
dgpebbles

Hello ladies..

ready to start off the new year....Made it thruogh new years weekend with a 1/2 lb down..surprised after drinking sat night..
So I'm starting this week off at 188.5

I'm getting my exercise bike that I ordered in on thursday so my challenge is to exercise for a min of 15 minutes thurs-sun and to drink 60oz of water..thats up 20oz from where I've been at..

Good luck everyone
dgpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:51 PM   #6  
lose2win

Hi gals,

I would love to get in on this challenge. It sounds like just what I have been looking for. My goal is to get in at least 64oz. of H20 or more per day and do my 3-mile walk away the lbs. dvd everyday. Right now my weight is 228 but my weigh in day is Tuesday so I will start my challenge tomorrow and also check back in w/ my updated weight.

By the way has anyone read the book "Stop the Insanity" by Susan Powter. I would highly recommend it, it's great.

MJ
emjay71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #7  

Default Goodnight

emjay! Sounds like you are in the right place at the right time!

happy2bme - we are happy to have you aboard too!

Ok ladies - got my 64 oz plus in and did a 20 minute bellydance workout with my daughter. Tracked my weight watchers (over 2 points!) All in all a good start Didn't get to bed on time (another bonus goal) - had to work on math homework with DH on DD's Christmas assignment which we found out about today!

Bonnie - I thought we could weigh in on Monday : when the thread changes unless anyone has another suggestion. I am open. BTW -Don't feel bad - I am up 6 pounds too!

See ya all tomorrow!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #8  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi ladies, thanks for the warm welcome.

Weigh in Mondays sound great to me too - keeps me from overdoing it on the weekend.

Water was good, food was good and all was tracked and within the guidelines of the diet today. I didn't do so hot on the exercise. Started to go for a walk but this cold is knocking the stuffing out of me. I got weak and out of breath quickly and then went into fits of wracking coughs so I turned around and came home. Maybe I'll just be limited to stretches and some weights for the next few days until I can beat this cold out of me.

Didn't get to bed at a reasonable time either - don't feel bad MsCat - at least you have an honorable excuse! There always seems to be one more thing to do, doesn't there?
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:55 AM   #9  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Hi Mscat, Carla, Bonnie and everyone else!

I love the new idea behind the weekly challenge! And I'm ready to jump on the wagon, too. I'm starting at 138 lbs - 2 pounds down despite Christmas and New Year's!!! And since my mid-January goal is around the corner (hopefully), my next one will be to be at 133 lbs or below by Valentine's.

It's the evening of Tuesday, Jan 3rd here. I've been focusing on getting back on track. I've resumed my paused 21-day challenges, but haven't really thought up a new weekly challenge, so I'll just stick with the old stuff - I do know it WORKS! It seems like today will be a success.

My challenge for this week:
- 3 to 4 bottles of water and no food after 7 pm (late light dinner ok if necessary, but no munching!)
- light off and ready to sleep by 10:30 pm
bonus: to do 10 min on the stationary bike in the mornings (part of my 21-day challenge)

Good luck everyone!

Last edited by Sushi Penguin; 01-03-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #10  

Monday's challenges complete: TV and laptop off at midnight, and no eating after 8. Both were imperfect, however. I got home from spinning at 8 pm, ravenous, and did have a protein shake, which I think I'll allow under the terms of my contract with myself (it would have been insane NOT to eat something...) And somehow I forgot my nighttime cappucino was supposed to be decaf , and made it half-caf. So although the lights were out soon after 12, it must have been at least 2 when I finally dropped off. Woke up at 5:30 STARVING. Lots of fine-tuning needed here! But a welcome sight on the scale this morning - no ticker change, since it'll just go right back once I eat, but I'll take it anyway.

Happy, Pebbles: to our merry little crew.
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #11  
trying to only eat bamboo

Hello All-

YAY!! It's a new week!! I must say this weekend was HARD...I visited family so of course the focus of all things was what to eat, so needless to say not eating after 7pm went down the drain..I must have more willpower!

So...challenge for the week I will do my exercise tape everyday!! It's a 30 min dance dvd that's not even that rough of a workout, but at least it will keep me moving!

to all the people who are joining with the new year!!!
phatpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #12  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

Okay, just quickly
Tuesday was a success, looking forward to today.
I'm going to change my Valentine's goal to 132 lbs - because that's easier to measure with my metric scale.

Good luck everybody!
Sushi Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:38 PM   #13  
lose2win

Ok, my official weight for the week is 227. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #14  
lose2win

Ok, it helped to read the previous posts, should have done that first. My new official weigh-in day will be Monday as well. Thanks for the warm welcome.

mj
Old 01-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #15  

Default Evening Report!

Hi Ladies - I am working hard today although I am still sick - went to work and coughed my fool head off all day. Got my 64+ oz of water in, getting ready to track my points - I know I am still under I don't know if I am going to get my exercise in - coughing too much. We'll see if I can get some crunches in at least.

happy for your success today! I agree with you - there are not enough hours in the day and having a cold makes it really tough to get in the desired exercise.

Sushi for your 2lbs down! and for meeting your goals today. Your weekly goals are so awe-inspiring. Good luck on your next 21 day challenge.

carla for your Monday goals met! more half caf for you at night young lady!

phatpanda - you are going to kick some butt this week with your workout tape!

Bonnie for your 3lbs! I bet you will be in onderland again by next Monday.

emjay for weighing in and for joining our little group.

I am heading for the Nyquil bottle and bed a few crunches. Have a great evening ladies - we are off to a rockin' start.