3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   "Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- Do it till you've got it!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/70229-every-day-21-day-challenge-do-till-youve-got.html)

redballoon 12-13-2005 06:26 PM

"Every-Day" 21-Day Challenge -- Do it till you've got it!!

Okay, everyone, as is the tradition, I start a new thread when I personally start a new challenge.

Below is a short explanation of how this challenge works so all you newcomers can take a look and decide if you're game or not! I hope you are! Hop aboard and enjoy the ride. We've got a great bunch of supportive people, so I hope you'll give us a try. A lot of people try for a while and then disappear.. I hope some of you will keep trying. There is NO shame in starting over. Remember, it's not over till you give up. And our motto around here is:

NEVER GIVE UP!!...Just start OVER!!

EXPLANATION:

It works like this: you decide you'll do something for 21 days straight, every single day, so keep it doable. Then you count ....one through 21.....and if you flub it, you MUST go back to zero and start over again. Everyone will be on different days. You can start anytime. At the beginning of the challenge you declare what level it is -- Level 1, 2, or 3. Level 1 means you feel it's a relatively easy challenge for you and means you only give yourself ONE pause day (see explanation of pause days below). Level 2 would give you two pause days and so on...

With a pause day you pause in your counting and continue the next day with the number you left off with. Pause days are NOT substitutes for days, i.e. Day 12 -- Day 13 -- Pause Day -- Day 14..... I suggest taking a pause day late in the game (better to go back to Day 1 early on) if you need a break or screw up when you're well into the challenge, meaning, when you're on Day 15 or something like that.

In any case, the trick is to keep going. The momentum builds and it's great incentive to stick to your guns, cause if you don't.........back to START you go. :( And the really great thing about this challenge is that you are forming new habits that will wipe out the old! AND, you get to do it with a great bunch of really supportive people to whom you are accountable! :grouphug:

Please join us!! :wave:

redballoon 12-13-2005 06:35 PM

Okay, people! I'm starting my new challenge today...more on that later...maybe just another crunchie...and here's the new thread. Will write more later.

Fish -- Thanks. The food poisoning was awful. It still is. I still have stomach pains but only sometimes. I was still very weak yesterday but ate, even though a lot of it was junk, and feel a lot stronger today. I am determined to get out and there and to the gym today, if only for a bit of light movement and jogging perhaps AND I am going to put only GOOD things into my mouth. Yesterday when I was walking past a vegetable shop and seeing how cheap the veggies were I was thinking, damn! I could save so much money AND lose weight AND do great things for my body and skin if I would just concentrate on eating fresh vegetables. The money I p'ss away on garbage food, prepared foods...ugh!! This is going to stop!! :mad: Well, Fish, I'm glad to see you're setting out on a new challenge. I was typing on the old one and when I realized you were starting a new challenge too I thought, okay, time for a new thread. So here it is! Good luck!

Apple -- Stay away from CBETA's pasta! :nono:

ees -- Thanks for the welcome back! I sure can use it. Feeling very beaten down.... :( But I WILL prevail!! :sunny: More later!

I'll be back!! :wave:

Shad 12-13-2005 07:08 PM

Morning Red, thanks for the new home. I'm sure we will fill it soon enough.
Bad news about that food poisoning but did you enjoy HK while you were there?

I hope you do go on the veg dash. It is so easy and so good for you. I thought veg in Japan were very reasonably priced.

I'm on day 9 of my no bread challenge and to be honest I am not missing it much now. I'm still doing abs/ crunches but not on a challenge. I have to think up some harder ones now. These are getting so easy I'm doing 30 or 40 of them on reps. Pity there is little change in gut. Still we keep plugging away.

Okay, time to dash. Gotta love it when you're busy.

curlylocks 12-13-2005 07:22 PM

hey red hope u are feelin better!

day 9 >>>> 1287 calories

eesabella 12-13-2005 07:28 PM

I'm with you Apple - CBETA's cheesy pasta sounds soooo good! And I just ate :cry: so a lot of this extra hunger I've been having lately has GOT to be emotional/false hunger.

I took your advice Fish and had a nice big salad with my sandwhich at lunch today, and it really seemed to help! I lasted a lot longer between lunch and my afternoon snack than I did between breakfast and my morning snack :) Yay! Thanks!

I'm thinking it has been emotional hunger maybe :dz: I'm thinking maybe it is a lack of grains in my diet - not lack of, but not enough. So tomorrow I'm going to have more grain schtuff.

One thing that I am not crazy about as far as dieting goes, is that I think about food SOOOO much more than I normally do. I am much more productive about it this time around though! When I think about food, I read articles on calorieking.com or hungry-girl.com, look up recipes and try to come up with new foods to buy when I go grocery shopping next so that I keep it interesting. It is not all that bad to think about food a lot - at least my health is a higher priority than it used to be! :halffull:

Nice to read you Red :) I've never had food poisoning, in addition to the pain and sickness, it sounds frustrating - not being able to work out. Hope you were able to do it!!

Alt - as far as the substitution of carbs... I'm not sure if I do that!! I first started cutting out refined sugars a while ago. I still have them from time to time, but it's been a while since I went from a lot to none so I can't remember what my first reaction to it was. A few things come to mind though. First, since you are losing sugars - maybe the carbs in whatever you have been eating are a natural substitute to your body. Whatever it liked getting from the soda and chocolate maybe, it can kind of get from the stuff you have been substituting it with? That's not really helpful, is it? :p When I cut down my sugars, I purposely tried to eat extra fruit. I made 'pretend' desserts for myself so that I would have a treat to look forward too. Strawberries in sugar free yogurt or cottage cheese, farina (made with milk, hmmm creamy) with cinnamon and banana, apples and sugar free peanut butter - or even better, sugar free almond butter. That stuff is divine! As far as soda, I cut that out a while ago as well as fruit juice. I LOVE the stuff! If I want a soda, I drink seltzer - flavored or I add a tiny bit of fruit juice, Seneca Falls apple juice I believe is sugar free, if you are concerned :P... Anyway, I don't know if you are looking for substitutions for your substitutions - hope this helps! How long ago did you quit smoking?! Congratulations!! I am also an ex-smoker, 4 1/2 months :D

redballoon 12-13-2005 07:29 PM

Shad -- Hello there. You're very welcome. Figured I should start a new thread even though I hadn't finished my last challenge. It got derailed. I had every intention of finishing it and was doing great but the illness won. Still, it's hardly a loss. My abs are much stronger. You really can't see much difference because there still is too much fat on top of them but I do see how my upper midsection is more raised and pulled-together looking nonetheless.

To do the veggie thing I think I will have to find some sort of base that I really like, into which I can throw just about any vegetable and have it taste good to me. It has to be easy, so just boiling or microwaving....nothing like a zapped sweet potato with a bit of butter...yum!!

You're doing great with your challenges. Sorry to hear work and things are a real problem these days for you. Sure hope things get a bit better for you. People are losing any sort of Xmas spirit, aren't they? It's all irrelevant here, even if there are decorations out. Fine with me. The 25th is a work day, big race here and I prefer not to even think of Christmas. Makes me sad for old times....

As for Hong Kong, I would say, no, I didn't enjoy it much. It's hard for me to enjoy a place where I don't speak the language and am not expected to and not encouraged to. I don't know what HK was like before the handover but I think I would have liked it even less. I am not an Anglo-Saxon fan, I must admit. Something cliqueish, something pretentious, false, cold, I don't know...and this time in HK I had a lot more contact with the expat crowd and it left me feeling very unpleasant. I mean, we're all foreigners and supposedly have things in common, but I felt I had very, very little in common with them and was actually put off by the entire scene, this feeling of "looking down on the natives." Unlike Japan, where foreigners actually do learn Japanese, the expats in HK don't and the Chinese don't seem to want or expect them to. I found myself wanting to speak Chinese but realize Cantonese is extremely hard to learn....which makes me want to learn it all the more. Getting sick really ticked me off. I don't like places where things are just so iffy and people aren't caring about hygiene. Of course, it may have been the water. The one thing that was nice were the stores. There were clothes that fit me, unlike Japan, where there is nothing. I wish I had had money to buy things. It was perfect. Big enough sizes, yet petite, which is what this short, stocky one needs. I don't think HK is at all for me though. Being vegetarian means I can't eat the food. And the smell of the spices they use was actually making me ill. There is something...I don't know what it is...that you smell everywhere and I hate it. I was glad to be back in Tokyo. Still, I wish I knew Cantonese.... :shrug:

Shad 12-13-2005 07:59 PM

Thick vege stews with a spice or two or soups. I loved that soup that you get everywhere in Japan with a bit of tofu and a bit of veg in it. It was good and filling. As for the kumara (sorry sweet potato) with butter, try it with a natural set low fat yoghurt and see how you like it. (I think it is better than sour cream). I add a bit of fresh (but I suppose a little dried stuff would do) mint, tarragon and/ or oregano to mine. I could happily live on that.

I found HK to be noisy, smelly and choked. And I was only there a short while. I can sort of understand where you are coming from with the Anglo Saxon colonisation type thing. Japan never had it - apart from Okinawa I guess) and has therefore stayed essentially Japanese. Hong Kong doesn't quite know where it fits. Certainly the Brits were not the best settlers in the world - great explorers and colonisers - everywhere they colonised in Asia says the same thing. Indians I have spoken to talk about the British Raj and give the impression they would like to spit at the same time.

Oh good, some more work has landed on my desk. Time to do something.

redballoon 12-13-2005 08:20 PM

Shad -- You're talking about miso soup. I don't enjoy it much anymore. I eat it and it is very good for you but I am tired of the dashi (fish-based) stock that's usually used (this is in Kanto, not Kansai). But you reminded me that I love miso itself and it makes an excellent base, adds a lot of body and flavor and requires no cooking in like spices do. Thanks for the reminder!

"Doesn't quite know where it fits"....yes! that's the feeling exactly. All these Chinese with English names and British accents who still have a hard time understanding English...er, American...though I don't have much of an accent and I do speak very clearly...

The noise and choked feeling of HK I can take I suppose. Coming from Tokyo it seemed quite empty actually. Still, I only know it at the best time of year. The smells do get to me though as I have a very sensitive nose.

The racing scene as well, the riding I saw there was horrible, the conditions of the stables and training were horrendous, so unnatural, and I know nearly every horse is killed as there is no breeding. I did enjoy speaking to the foreign jocks, mostly the French and South Africans. Was down at Happy Valley and the place was packed with Brits and Aussies. Again, the Aussies seemed a lot more fun. The Brits came across as total stuffed shirts, looked so incongruous in their fancy suits with beer guts and pints in their hands. I don't know. I guess it's an American thing with me..... ;) need things a bit more scruffy, laidback and straightforward. Australians, Kiwis I tend to enjoy. Oops. I better shut up.

Oh well, HK is bizarre. I wish I could enjoy it more but I know I won't unless I can get a feel for the lingo. It was the same in India. The weird not-English, not-Indian feeling I had from the city people. I preferred the country folk, but then I was conversational in Bengali and that was the key I think. Anyhow.....

redballoon 12-13-2005 09:06 PM

Okay, trying to get a bit caught up here. Feel a LOT better today. Have some power back. I was just so run down yesterday. Guess it came from not having eaten much. Amazing how a couple days without food can really deplete you.

curly -- Thanks for the get well wishes. You are doing amazing things again. I understand your wanting to bomb the scale. How can it not be moving? I don't understand that at all. If I were eating as little as you I would be losing weight like crazy. What goes? :dunno:

alteon -- I am really against all this no-carb stuff. We NEED carbohydrates. It's as simple as that. Most people are simply confusing the processed foods and empty carbs for the real thing. Yes, get rid of those but keep the others. Wheat bread and oatmeal, unless it's whole-grain and totally whole grain, which is very hard to find outside of Europe, and unless it's steelcut oats, also hard to find, are still processed. Go for real foods, meaning foods that have not been changed by man's hand. Eat vegetables and fruit. Eat brown rice. These things can be found in natural food shops, which can be hard to find too depending where you live. I don't think it would be easy in Wisconsin. But it's probably easier than Tokyo (it's only recently that you can get brown rice here easily) and mailorder works fine. I would first worry about changing the KIND of food you eat and then worry about cutting down on carbs and really this is only another means of cutting down on calories, which is the only way you're going to lose fat.

ees- The same goes for you and the PMS eating. Read alteon's part above. You've got to get away from anything processed. It's a waste of calories and not filling and that is what your body wants. You can easily get by on 1800 if you cut out the processed food.

stage -- You're doing great. Good luck on your new challenge! :flow1:

Phys -- You too. Keep it going!

CBETA -- You sound to be doing well. You'll have to give us some reminders on just what your letter challenges are. And we're glad to have you here.

swimming -- You're still there with us! Enjoy your trainer. I have one with my racer on it. It works very well.

Sushi -- How's it going with you? Oh, and a belated congrats on completing your running challenge! :cp: :woo: :cp: Way to go!!! Anything on the burner?

marble -- So, are you on a challenge right now? Yes, now I see, you are. What is it exactly? I've been so out of it. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and are able to move more. Please take care and don't have any more accidents!!

chai -- How about you? Are you still with us?

carla -- Where are you!?!??! :dunno: Come back and give us a shout or two! :cb:

Phoe -- Are you feeling ok? Back spasms? What were they about?!??! I think you should set yourself a challenge that is more doable, like me with the crunches, something that can give you some confidence. Don't give up, ok? We want you here! :yes:

Ok, anyone I missed?! I hope not, but if so, get in here and tell me about it! Newbies, lurkers! Come out and give us a holler! Everyone is welcome! :wave:

alteaon 12-13-2005 10:56 PM

Medicinal Cookies

I am pleased with myself today. I gave blood for the first time today. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I also managed to avoid chocolate. They gave me cookies to get my sugars up. I opted for the peanut butter. I knew that there would be cookies there, and I used that as part of going and doing this. Now that I've done it, I'd like to do it again eventually, with out "bribing" myself with cookies. I have low blood pressure as a rule, so I almost passed out.

Today is day 15 for the soda and day 11 for the chocolate. To whoever asked me when I quit smoking, I quit 4 years ago....that was nothing compared to me trying to lose weight.

Last night I had Chinese food for supper. Naughty, yeah...but good. I did not have fried rice, however.

As far as my carb issue. I am beginning to think it's not the type of carbs but how many I eat. I just think I need to vary my food choices more than I have been. I ate the cookies with out guilt because they served a purpose. Shockingly, they kept me full for a long time. As for whole foods, there aren't that many stores around here. I live in town of maybe ten thousand if you count the out lying areas...there's one store that has some stuff...like rices and things. My husband and I have switched to brown rice and wheat products, and have started to get racist about our food. No more white stuff. We ditched the peanut butter about three weeks ago. I almost had a heart attack, but now I'm okay with it. Lately, apple sauce has been my poison of choice. I suppose it could be worse. One thing I redeem myself with is that when I do eat carbs or "carby" things, like Raisins and Carrots, there are worse things I could be eating.

Thanks to all for answering my carb question. Advice, opinions, they all help. I'd love to go to Tokyo. There's a huge optical fair there. I'd be in heaven to go there. Other cultures fascinate me, especially Eastern cultures.

stagemomx3 12-14-2005 02:42 AM

No Desserts/Treats Day 1
No Chocolate Day 12
*No Soda Day 30 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

curlylocks 12-14-2005 08:08 AM

i think going thru menapause has an effect on weight loss Red........ :( LMAO must pause everything!

And i have been at this since march so i think my body is fightin back!

PhysDom 12-14-2005 08:47 AM

Pilates / Lifting Day 3 = complete!

I was on auto-pilot this morning. I woke up, I did pilates, I ate breakfast, I went to work... and here I am. Nice.

alteaon 12-14-2005 11:22 AM

Today has just begun, but I am not overly worried about it. We're getting a snow storm all day today, so work should be slow.

I was thinking of everyone who is doing a challenge involving exersize. I'm already on day 16 w/ no soda, and it's gone by really fast. Also, you must get some good results w/ doing it for atleast 21 days. I know that my problem is keeping up with it. That's a great challenge to take on, and I applaud everyone who is doing a challenge, but especially the exersize related ones.

In a moment of guilt, I realized that although I post on this site, ask a lot of questions, I don't really show the support I feel for everyone, and I'm sorry for that. I don't want anyone to think I don't care about any of you. Just at times I am bad with words.

Thursday and Friday I am going out to eat. Normally I wouldn't do this, but it's been very long standing invites. However, since I got to choose were we eat, I have chosen places with a decent variety of healthier foods. I am debating about the possibility of taco salad. I just put lettuce, mild sauce and meat on mine. No great shakes.

Well, I have to go shovel. I'm happy I didn't give blood from my right arm, as my left one's a bit sore yet.

FishWoman 12-14-2005 11:26 AM

Day Two Done

Yesterday was day 2. I went crazy at the gym - lifted weights for 15 minutes and then ran on the treadmill. I was going to do only 2 miles (which would have put me at 35 minutes of total exercise for the day) but went ahead and ran 4 miles instead. :dizzy: So I ended up working out for almost an hour total:carrot: I think today I will just do yoga to try and stretch out from the lifting and running.

Work is slow, I am cold and grumpy and am SO looking forward to my cruise and warmer weather. Only 24 days away - and I still want to lose 4 pounds before then! I suppose I should have a few more crazy days at the gym!

PhysDom 12-14-2005 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alteaon
In a moment of guilt, I realized that although I post on this site, ask a lot of questions, I don't really show the support I feel for everyone, and I'm sorry for that. I don't want anyone to think I don't care about any of you. Just at times I am bad with words.

I think that I'm in the same boat as you! I feel like I use a lot on this site, but I'm more of an 'answering questions' than a 'giving moral support and congratulations' kind of girl. I really appreciate when people write little comments to me, but somehow it just overwhelms me to try and do the same!

But in the spirit of friends -- HURRAH!!! to everyone! I adore this thread and I love during the day when I check and someone has posted.

marbleflys 12-14-2005 02:09 PM

Day #7---15 mins. of cardio and wts. (i'm definitely working a sweat!)

Day 8-:carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot: :carrot:

18 mins. of cardio/wts. I can feel a slight soreness in my flabby buttisimo

I went to ortho doc yesterday and new xrays still show fracture but my mobility has improved. I have more PT exercises to do and was told to do 2 sets of 18 reps. 6 days a week.....HAH! I can only do one set of 6!:o so I guess I have a ways to go. i am sore, but need to use the arm.

I'm not overeating, but not losing any either, I guess my metabolism just went away.....like coach Carla!:drill: :coach: :coach: :coach: I keep eating the RIGHT things like fresh berries/ cantelope and good protein but my body wt. has a mind of it's own:?: :mad:

red, sorry to hear about the tummy-ick. Now here is a stupid question....how decent is that *instant* Miso soup taste you can get in the asian markets in the US? I haven't tried it, but am curious as I've had it in restaurants and enjoyed it. thanks for the info.

carla49 12-14-2005 02:46 PM

The return of the prodigal Carla...

Sometimes I think I disappear from time to time just to see if I'm missed. And I was! You like me! You really like me!!! (Brief Sally Field moment there.) :lol:

Day 11 completed yesterday for both challenges. (I was tempted to do a chocolate binge, but did the math and realized that if I use more than one more pause day I'll still be on this challenge on Christmas eve, and on Sunday I have a dinner party, so... I'm determined to finish the challenge this time.)

My buzzer just went off, and I'll have to head to the laundry room soon or risk finding my dainties piled gracelessly on a bench. Yes, it's the dark ages here: when the building was put up 30 years ago, they didn't put in a plumbing system that would accommodate ensuite laundry in the units. So although I have an illegal dryer up here, a washer could too easily cause sink backup in the units under me. It's almost enough to make me move. But I won't. (The old ladies who live here - and I mean REALLY old - love the shared laundry so they can chat and have social contact.)

Anyway, I realized the other day I had actually lost one third of the weight I want to get off! :woo: :carrot: :carrot: :woo: (Hence the chocolate urge - desire to celebrate/sabotage.) It's a little tough right now, as I'm cold all the time, but I can't really say I'm hungry. And that old demon, after-dinner eating, still has me in its sway. At least now I'm munching on fruit and cheese instead of my usual crackers or whatever.

Marble, you're amazing. All banged up and broken, and yet you're still exercising! I'm really glad you're doing well - if I'm not mistaken, you'll need lots of strength for family gatherings in the next few weeks. Have you managed to dig out from under the mountain of accumulated work at the office? As for the weight, if you continue on your virtuous path, you're bound to see a sudden surprise drop one of these days.

Red, dear Red. What a pain to have been sick when you're not even home with your cats and your own "stuff" to comfort you. But you've certainly been posting prolifically, so you're on the mend for sure! I know what you mean about wonderign why we eat all the wrong things when veg is cheaper and often just as easy. Lately I've been buying lots of bagged salad greens (lazy, lazy me!) and I'll just grill some meat or fish (you could use tofu?) and toss it into a big bowl of salad with some crumbled feta and a cut-up apple or pear or some grapes and a few pine nuts and some store-bought caesar lite dressing and it's SO good - and FAST. It has really helped on those nights when I'm hungry but lazy and am on the verge of opting for a big sandwich followed by many bad things. And congrats on those nice tight abs hiding under the winter padding! I'm not ready to start working on the squishy middle yet.

Alt, don't worry about not giving individual messages. I think we all end up writing a message when someone else's post speaks to us, and of course various people find they have a special affinity with other specific posters, and also the longer you hang around the better you know everyone and the more you'll have to say.

Curly, if you'd like, I can give you the short version of the diet I'm following (supposedly 1200 cals, but more, I think) which has helped me move that ticker at last. Maybe it would give you the jump start or metabolism boost you need to see some action? Let me know, and I'll PM you.

Yikes :yikes: ! My laundry! Gotta run.

curlylocks 12-14-2005 03:06 PM

thanks carla.. there really isnt much more i can take out of my diet, i eat no white flour, no high glycemic foods, no bread, no sugar, watch my carbs ... lmao not much else left.. hahaha

marbleflys 12-14-2005 03:26 PM

Carla, Carla, Carla.....babbling about your lingerie, chocolate and parties. It must be nice to have a real life, SIGH! :?: Of course you are missed!:hug: :hug: :hug: Your posts are filled with lots of fun stuff. Do tell us about the exciting, *everyday exotics* you meet!:corn: :corn:

I also love lite ceasar dressing, but make it even lighter by adding lemon juice to it. (I think the no poundage lost is the result of sushi and constipation, or it could be stress from constant sparring with the devil-daughter:devil: ) Back to salad dressing. Fat-free italian with a splash of lemon/minced garlic and snip some dry (no oil, just dehydrated) sun-dried tomatoes in it a great treat.

I've been doing blackberries, raspberries, kiwi and cantelope every AM (in a desperate effort to help my poor GI tract) and a mini omlette with mushroom, red pepper and FF cheese.....I pick through lunch and do a turkey or chicken (home-made not pre-fab) burger with onion/pepper/mushroom for dinner. I still have the 3 boxes of chocolates that were sent as gifts from 8 weeks ago. no food interest, no fun interest, I'm too tired!

The happy part is I'm getting my NEW furniture for the living room next wednesday!!! I am very excited...(there is no cat hair on it yet either!)

PhysDom 12-14-2005 03:40 PM

Hello all, since I do plan on actually starting some 'weight lifting' in my pilates/lifting challenge, and since I might have to switch to food challenges when this one's over... maybe this isn't too off-topic.
Can you look here
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70280
and tell me what you think?
Thanks.

redballoon 12-14-2005 03:58 PM

still recuperating....

Good morning, all. I wasn't planning on getting up this early...before 5...but couldn't sleep with too much bothering me, so I got up, but will probably lie down again later.... :blah:

I am still not totally well (as if I ever will be...) and so haven't started a challenge. I did walk to the gym yesterday and back. I was going to go into the gym and do a very light bit of movement there but then realized I had forgotten my card. Not that that is really a problem (you have to fill out a form) but it was a ready excuse. Having been away, I had moved my card somewhere else. Even the walking was hard in the beginning, but I was feeling good by the end. So that was nearly two hours' total so it was progress. Today, I will try to ride. In any case I will be getting in exercise just getting out to the stables.

carla -- I am glad you decided to come back and see us. Of course we miss you, well, I miss you. Your posts add tremendous warmth and humanness to the thread and I look forward to them with great anticipation! The atmosphere on the thread varies a lot these days. It's not as cozy as it once was, not without our mez and some others. But, I guess it's up to us to set the mood and then just leave it at that instead of trying to react to whatever is out there. This is a problem I am having to deal with now and something that is getting me very down. My teacher of long at the riding club has left and I am forced to work with a kid whose riding and sentiments are totally out of line with mine. It is really bothering me and I have no alternatives that I know of. Sigh. I will just have to learn to set the mood myself as well. Okay, getting off tangent there...

Yes, it was awful in Hong Kong being sick, but I was saved by the kindness of two Japanese friends. One lives there and came over and she and her little boy stayed with me all day bringing me water and juice and a bit to eat when I finally could. The other was at the track and calling repeatedly with reports and comments from the action there, which was a lot better than the Chinese, no-sound 'cept the announcer broadcast on TV. Three of the Japanese four did very well, a first, second and fifth.

All my thoughts about healthy food went down the drain yesterday..well, not totally, but none of the vegetables I bought got eaten. I guess when you're sick, you tend to do "sick" things. Perhaps too the vegetables and fresh fruit, being full of natural roughage, are not really want the body can handle just it, no matter how healthy they may be. My morning oatmeal was wonderful though. That is excellent that you are eating salad greens, and sometimes lazy pre-packaged is the way to do it. You do what gets you there...that is my motto. What you described is the way I normally eat, that is, when I am healthy and feeling full of life. Ah-oh, nice abs will be fading if I don't get back crunching soon.

You ARE doing well with the weight loss, aren't you? You seem to be securely in Onederland. I remember when you were in and out and more out than in. It must feel great (when you think of it) to be under the psychological-barrier mark. I was thinking yesterday I want to do that by the end of the year. Don't know if it's possible but I can try. 70 kgs is my mark, haven't been under it in probably years now. It would be nice, though I know the only reason I'm getting there now is because I've stopped doing much weight training and have dropped muscle weight. Still, as long as I keep moving and get tight and toned and then get the fat off as well, I should be okay. In fact, that's the body I now want, something like those yoga bodies you see everywhere these days, strong and lithe.

marble -- You DO sound like you are getting better every day, eating well and all. Great! About the "instand miso soup taste," I really couldn't say. I don't know what it is, what brand it is. There are all types. You can get soups that are just full of chemical additives and I would think that's probably what those are. Then again, maybe not. I don't think there is any "miso soup taste" though. It probably is real miso, dehydrated. I would try to get some actual miso and just make your own soup. It is probably easier to get used to that way as, by itself in soups, it's not bad. It's mixing it with seaweed and fish-based stock that I think makes it a bit too alien for Western tastes.

Phys -- It's nice to have your support and of course we'd rather have it or not but don't worry too much. It is a bit overwhelming to respond and sometimes I too just don't. It takes a kind of response system to deal with. I copy the posts, make separate files, made a response template and work backwards. But I consider that my obligation as thread starter. Just do your challenge and reap the benefits. You get out what you put in and everyone is looking for something different. BTW, what does the Egy Kis Lany under your name mean? Just saw your last post. I think your plan sounds good. I too need to be fit and toned, not just a smaller, weaker, version of what I was. Weight loss without exercise (and that doesn't mean just a bit of walking here and there) inevitably involves muscle loss and a loss in tone. I wouldn't pay much attention to the scale when you start adding in good exercise. It really does play havoc with the scale. You will likely feel bigger too, because you are stronger. And you may look bigger because you have more presence. But I would focus on measurements and clothes size to measure your progress. Remember, you can always change your posture and appear smaller and weaker if you feel a need. :lol:

Fish -- Sounds good with the exercise. At your weight, you're going to need "crazy days" to make a dent. You will feel so good by your cruise. Ah, I miss the hot days of summer....

alteon -- Same goes for you as Phys about posting and support. But remember, you don't have to be "good with words," any will do. Nice going on the blood donation. Yes, I agree with the exercise challengers. I have been reluctant to do one except for the crunches due to time concerns mostly, but also because I probably already get in some sort of exercise every day. It's hard to quantify it and I would probably end up doing the same thing every day for a challenge and that would be tedious and probably too much. The crunches are good. Good luck on doing an exercise challenge yourself. Start small. And, shoveling snow is great exercise!

curly -- I find your situation quite discouraging and am looking forward to the scale moving for you as much perhaps as you are. You'll have to change something, won't you, but I can't imagine what from your reports. Then again, maybe you are changing in other ways that we don't realize, like tightening up, adding muscle...that would possibly not be reflected in the numbers.

stage -- You have achieved liftoff! :cp:

carla49 12-14-2005 04:12 PM

Marble, if you had to go to the same parties I've been invited to, you wouldn't envy me my social life at all. (How do you spell obligation? p-a-r-t-y.) As for the lingerie, the least said the better. Stretched out and very, very tired, and me too cheap to replace it yet. And since I'm not eating the chocolate, just whining about it, that's no fun either. :cry:

As for your demon spawn, I'll see your nasty daughter and raise you one drunken, self-centred, heavily-smoking LOUD stepmother. I just love the holidays - not.

I might try cutting the salad dressing with lemon juice, it sounds good. And I've also been indulging in lots of fruit, especially raspberies when I can find them. As for your GI tract, I know an excessive amount of wine usually gets mine moving nicely the next day. ;) But I don't have a lot of trouble in that area, so I don't really know a lot of tricks, apart from increasing bran and hi-fiber-food intake, drinking lots of water, going to Hong Kong and drinking the water like Red :rofl: .

marbleflys 12-14-2005 04:15 PM

Thanks red....I'll check out the packages/cans of the grocery....What IS "real miso"? ( I'm not an asian food afficienado--but my long time manicurist is twanese, so I can call her, she'll tell me what to buy). I also bought fresh seaweed salad, but it is dressed with sesame and a smokey oil, very good in small amounts (like what you get as an appetizer when you eat Korean in NJ).

Red, I do hope you bounce back soon, a light bland diet is probably better at this time anyway. (chicken broth) Too many veggies might make you cramp. The walk sounded like a better work-out anyway. Don't let the kid make you crazy either, riding should be a pleasure, not stressful.

BTW, where is mez? I hope all is well with her.

carla49 12-14-2005 04:22 PM

I did send Mez a PM, but got no answer. I know I miss her sweetness and warmth, and want her to come home to us.

Mez, if you're lurking out there, let us know you're all right!

PhysDom 12-14-2005 04:22 PM

If you find any asian market (and a grocery store with a nice international section) you should be able to get miso.

Miso is just a fermented bean paste (much tastier than it sounds!!) and I used to get it in a jar that I kept refridgerated. It was a paste, sort of, and I could add it to hot water or broth and then add in seaweed, mushrooms, tofu, green onions for a 'traditional' type soup, or you can put in whatever you want that will taste good to you!

The miso will settle in the liquid, though, it doesn't 'dissolve' so don't be surprised to have little clouds of miso rise when you stir the soup. Delicious!

marbleflys 12-14-2005 04:24 PM

Carla:

I'll see your LOUD, self-centered, heavily smoking step-mother and raise you a 350 lb. X-husband with heavy drug/alcohol use, anger-agression issues, gray hair and a full stomach and beard...(He looks like a VERY angry Santa without the red suit).:crazy: :rofl:

I've never had GI problems before like this, but I think a good dose of magnesium citrate might be called for. (that's the stuff you drink the night before you have imaging with injected dye, preferable non-ionic--and must be clean as a whistle for pics.):D

I guess a few rounds of oatmeal or shredded wheat are called for too.:o

Thank you Phys, i think I know what it is now, sounds great! I will look for it.

Mina 12-14-2005 04:24 PM

Starting New

I'm making the commitment to get at least 45 minutes of some kind of physical activity into my routine everyday. It can be walking, biking, swimming, pilates, martial arts or powerwalking. Just 45 minutes every day of some type of physical activity. I'm going to make this a level 1 challenge.

PhysDom 12-14-2005 04:29 PM

Red - Thank you! I'm excited about my new plan, and hope not to freak out too much on the scale. I tend to be a daily weigher, and it might be rough for me. But since I'll be so FREAKING STRONG ARRRRG!!! I think that I'll manage. And "Egy Kis Lany" is Hungarian for "One Little Girl." When I studied abroad and would go to the house of my friends, their parents would always refer to me as the 'kis lany'... not b/c I was little, but b/c I was unmarried. Still a kid until I get hitched, I guess. They also told me that I head really nice teeth. (As it turns out, that was only b/c I smiled so much and no one was used to it.) In other events, I'm sure that now you'll remember to bring your membership card to work out and be all set for the next time, right?!

marble - When you make that oatmeal, add a few tablespoons of ground flax seed. It's yummy and fiber-rific.

Minaa - Woot! Good luck and keep us posted.

marbleflys 12-14-2005 04:37 PM

Phys:

I'm actually hungarian/czech. and just about fell over off my chair laughing, (have to watch I don't break something else). I think your spelling is off...but about the unmarried little girl & "nice teeth"....that is sooo typical. (they also check horses teeth too) What part of hungary, small town, village?

carla49 12-14-2005 04:40 PM

Marble, I think you win. But surely you don't have to spend the holidays with him?! And don't you have a lovely mother to even the scales a bit?

Think Metamucil!

marbleflys 12-14-2005 04:49 PM

no I never spend the holidays with him, the 11 year marriage was quite enough, but his image is like a tumor.

Apple Blossom 12-14-2005 05:27 PM

Day 13 SWN, Day 12 WALK

I think it's funny, Carla and Marble's banter about "loved ones" and then minaaa sticks her humble post inbetween all that! Welcome too our wacky group, minaaa!:dizzy: :twirly: :dizzy: :twirly: Best wishes for a successful 21 days!

I'm in a bit of a rut lately, even though challenge wise I'm ok. I think I'll have to take my last pause day today for walk, leaving me with a long way to go...I've just been eating too much.:mad: My next challenge will have to be a food related one, I think. I guess I'm just waiting for another spurt of inspiration. And I'm too busy and stressed out to focus on anything!!! It's not the holidays, just the hectic weeks in December when the kids have lots of stuff going on. It's my daughter's birthday today!! She is 6.:hb:

Carla, I didn't realize you were doing so well!!! Congrats!!
And hello to everyone else out there too!

CBETA 12-14-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carla49
Curly, if you'd like, I can give you the short version of the diet I'm following (supposedly 1200 cals, but more, I think) which has helped me move that ticker at last. Maybe it would give you the jump start or metabolism boost you need to see some action? Let me know, and I'll PM you..

Carla, could you post a copy or send me via PM, I am curious to see what I can do to jumpstart mine.
Thank you,
C

eesabella 12-14-2005 05:45 PM

Hello All!

Unfortunately I think I'm going to fail my challenge! :hungry: Yesterday I went above 1800 by about 40 calories... today was bad. I ate plenty and often but was shaking and moody within an hour of each meal.

Red - I totally agree that processed foods are no good! I don't eat much of them... although have recently replaced some meals with Slim Fast 'cause I like them (shame on me!). But not in the last couple of days when my hunger problem started. I do enjoy a soy drink that contains Splenda and drink a glass a day usually... maybe it is messing me up because it is a liquid? :dizzy:

If I list what I've eaten today... maybe someone will see something I can switch? I'm thinking if I fail the challenge, next round I will do 1800 a day, but I am allowed up to 200 calories more per day the few days before my period.

Here is what I've eaten so far today: Breakfast - 3/4 cup Uncle Sam cereal (organic with flaxseed), 1 Cup Milk, Blueberries, added flaxseed and wheat bran
Snack - .5 Cup Cottage Cheese, Med Banana
Lunch - Chile Con Carne (ground chicken, veggies, beans, sauce), 1 Cup Veggie
Snack - 1 Toast (10 grain organic bread), 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter
2nd Snack - 1 Toast, 1 tablespoon Peanut Butter, 1 cup+ milk, Apple
3rd snack - Pear

Dinner will be chicken picatta, 1 cup+veggies, 1 small potatoe... dessert hopefully only popcorn and 1/2 pomegranite or else I'm over 1800.. actually, I can't even have those 2 :( 'cause I added a cup of milk I didn't mean to have and had more peanutbutter than I originally wanted to. Looks pretty good to me - I should be full! But iss not enough!! Any advice would be great!!

I have always had issues with food just before my period. I tremble, get moody - edgy if I haven't eaten in an hour, hour and a half... and extremely sedate within 20 minutes of eating. I had pretty much fixed the issue by eating nice sized snacks/meals every hour - but being on a diet may be making it tricky for me this month? I dunno!

Red and Alteon - The stores in the US are carrying more whole grain breads and steel cut oatmeal is now being sold in most grocery stories (at least near me, I am near a big city). That said, I don't know that the whole grain wheat bread is the real stuff, but I would guess that what is sold in Whole Foods and Trader Joes is. Also, Giant and Food Lion have health/organic food sections now - usually an entire aisle or more!

Sorry that this post is all dedicated to me and not saying hi and whatnot to others. I pretty much got as far as Red's post and had the idea to post today's menu for advice. I am sooo tired! I slept through the night last night without waking up for a snack. Hopefully tonight I will do the same and I should be golden. Then I will catch up on how everyone else is doing!!
:crossed: Let's hope I make it under 1800 today!!
Thanks so much!!!

Ees

Sushi Penguin 12-14-2005 06:08 PM

Whee, a new thread. :)

Haven't had time to post over the past few days... but I've been doing my crunches. Sunday was Day 15... it's Thursday, so this morning I completed Day 19 - almost done!

I think I'll be starting a new running challenge in the next couple days, and another one or two - leg exercises and small weights for arms, or two in one... I'll see.
Need some advice for weights first though... anyone? We have 2 kg and 4 kg weights at home. 4 kgs is a bit much to start with for me, I think. But how many reps, what moves...?

redballoon 12-14-2005 06:58 PM

Wow, some action here. And I have to get out soon. Had another little nap. I realized the reason I probably was not sleeping well was because I was too cold and I was lying there all tensed up just to keep warm. Added a couple blankets and that did the trick. Dozed off, interesting dreams..okay, up and at the oatmeal, then off to see the horse. I miss her so much when I don't see her... :(

By the way, mez did contact me. She is apparently going through some personal problems now. I would like to know she is okay though but I think it is not a time she can devote time to a challenge or us. I do miss her though.

ees -- Oh, it's perfectly OK to dedicate your post to yourself as long as you get as far as my post! :lol3: I don't know what chicken picatta is or what Uncle Sam cereal is but do know that all cereals are high in calories, so you must be careful if you're eating them a lot. You're going to have to cut out peanut butter or at least cut back to absolutely no more than 1T a day. It's very healthful and all, but it is nearly the same as eating butter, in other words, pure fat. I love it and am in the same boat as you. But when you realize that you just tallied up over 300 calories eating it, and it is not going go to do much to give you energy or keep you full (yes, yes, I know fat is satisfying but that is not ees' problem right now) you'd be better to get something with more bulk. As for whole grain breads, unless you are eating things like German Vollkorn Brot, which is pretty strange stuff, not what Americans would even consider bread, you are only getting a mix of whole grain and regular. Of course, that in itself is nothing bad, just trying to find somewhere you could improve to make yourself feel better. You sound to be eating a LOT of food, so if that doesn't do it, then I don't know, maybe you just need to up your overall calorie intake. How tall are you? Also, watch all the added flaxseed. Again, very nutritious, but nuts and seeds are very high in calories. I would cut all this out before your period and then add it in later.

CBETA -- Be careful about "jumpstarting" anything. 1200 calories is WAY too low for you and at the weight you are now you should see nice progress. Too fast is NO good!

Apple -- Glad to see you moving along. Let's not get too ambitious now. Try to get that walk in if at all possible. I know yesterday the last thing I felt like doing was walking. I'm just too depressed these days and though I got out I nearly turned around and went home a few times and that is strange for me. But after a while, I did feel better. I think we focus on our feelings way too much. Then again, you're busy and stressed.... I hope things get easier for you soon. Yes, minaaa gave us a bit of comic relief there. She must be quite brave! :lol: Oh, and a happy birthday to your little girl! :spin:

Phys -- Ok, thanks for the translation. Yes, I always wonder about those Eastern Europeans not smiling much. Hard lives, bad teeth? A combination? Daily weighing is definitely a no-no unless you can take seeing the scale do major flipflips. I mean that. Weight training..if you're going heavy, will make you sore and being sore will have your body holding water. It's nothing to worry about but it looks and weighs like fat.

minaaa -- Hello there! :welcome: It sounds like you have a great challenge ready there. Good luck!

marble -- Since Phys has answered your question on miso I won't, except to add that here it usually comes in plastic containers or just in soft packages, not jars. Also, never boil it as that will kill all the good things from the fermentation. I'm a vegetarian so chicken broth is not for me but yes I will watch out for the veggies. As for the walking, walking is ALWAYS a part of my day, the workout would have been on top of that. I usually jog 3-5 km and then do weights and the crunches. The kid at the club is not so much making me crazy as I just don't like the way she rides, so abrupt, so unrefined. My teacher was very, very good. The whole atmosphere at the place is a real downer and I wish I knew another place to go or I wish I could get good enough (this is why I stay) to be able to ride my horse the way I want to. My ex-teacher may come back. She is the owner's wife (very strange relationship they seem to have) and is ill (that is the excuse) and taking leave. But, you are right. Riding should be a pleasure (though it is very disciplined what I attempt to do) and perhaps I should just think, there are other areas I can progress in, other than what I was doing with my old teacher. I am now out in the big ring and concentrating on what to me feels like kid stuff, as I was doing more refined positioning polishing all along in the small ring. But, you need both to get good. It's not doing calculus and then going back to learn the math tables. I have major holes in my learning for many reasons. Grin and bear it perhaps, eh?

Sushi -- Good going on your challenges. What moves are you looking at for your weight training? Just arms? Legs too? Look around the Web for beginning moves. They are everywhere! Or get a book on basic bodybuilding. Also tons of books out there. It's easier than us trying to tell you what to do. I can give you tips once you're doing something, though.

curlylocks 12-14-2005 07:19 PM

hey guys..

yes i think i am making progress even tho the scale seems to be stuck for me now... becuz with my circuit/resistance training everyday... even at my weight of 238 i am wearing size 16 jeans and size 16 clothes... I am 5 foot 6.. but i am also large framed.. so maybe i am replacing the fat with muscles!!!

day 10: ugh only 980 calories cuz i have had a upset stomach today and didnt feel like eating... tho i did manage to get my protein in with the protein powder... just didnt feel like having a lot of food sittin in my stomach..

curlylocks 12-14-2005 07:34 PM

Ees: the only thing i can see in your menu that could be a problem is your pnut butter... i would try to find a low-carb sugar free type...
and the potato... but thats becuz i dont eat potatoes... (high sugar) they say sweet potatoes are better for u

i would check the amount of sugar in the slim fast as well.. u would be better off making a shake with whey protein powder its better for u and no sugar and the increased protein takes away the hunger...

sugar makes you want to eat more>> bananas are high glycemic .. berries and apples are better for u

just my 2 cents worth... lol

i read somewhere that each gram of sugar is equal to a tablespoon

p.s. be careful with your soy intake.. they have discovered that a lot of soy can mess up your thyroid .. but i guess it would have to be huge amounts..

stagemomx3 12-14-2005 07:38 PM

No Desserts/Treats Day 1
No Chocolate Day 12
*No Soda Day 30 * Challenge Completed* Goal December 25th.

Hi everyone! I still have to make it through rehearsal before I can change my numbers.