Old 07-27-2005, 06:23 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Welcome Mel! You can do this if you just stay focused and committed, we'll help all we can.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:26 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 306/294/170

WELCOME MEL. Hey SuzyMC, try cucumber slices in ice cold water. Great refreshing taste.

I reached my goal yesterday of 30 minutes of exercise. I have the same goal today and my eating has been fabulous which is quite surprising.
uncovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:30 PM   #48  

That is awesome uncovering! Never thought of cucumbers in water-will have to try. Occassionally I use fresh cut up lemon but will have to try the other too.
melissa
neo98292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyMc
Thanks Theresa! I filled a 2 qt. pitcher with water and put it in the refrigerator this morning and I've been working on it all day...man, that's a lot of water!
It does seem like a lot at first, but you get used to it. I drink most of mine just before, during, and right after my biggest workout of the day. It gives me more energy to get through it.

Theresa
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:29 PM   #50  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

Thanks so much for the welcome! Wondering though... what's this "check in" email thingy about???

I used to have trouble getting my water in too... then I decided to use 16oz glasses instead of typical 8oz ones. It's weird, but I sort of trick myself into thinking I'm not drinking as much water because I'm not filling my glass up so many times. So for a daily amt of 64oz, I'm only actually filling my glass up 4 times instead of 8.

Oh and last summer I was a member of TOPS and our leader brought a therapist in to teach us meridian (???) therapy, she told us that a good bit of the time when our body is telling us that we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. Don't know if that's true or not, but figured I'd share it anyway.

Well, I hafta run... time to get dinner started. I hope you all have a great evening! Type you all later!

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #51  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

Cucumber slices? I never would have thought about that. I did get some lemons this afternoon...I'll have to see about picking up some cucumbers.
SuzyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 PM   #52  

May I join you all, also? I need all the help I can get to put an end to my yo-yo nightmare. In the last 8 years I've been as high as 265 and as low as 122 and back and forth in between the two. Right now I'm aiming to attain a goal of around 150 and be able to maintain it. I am always either losing or gaining...I have a really hard time maintaining ANY weight for more than a few days. I really want to put a stop to this as I know how unhealthy it is and I'd like to be around for a while. One of my downfalls is that it's always "all or nothing" with me. I either do very, very well or I do really, really bad. I love all kinds of sweets so that's what packs on the pounds when I'm doing really bad.

I'm 35 years old and happily married for 16 years and we have 2 terrific kids.

I'm not really following any specific plan...I just found something that works for me to lose weight so I stick with it. I don't really pay attention to carbs or protein, but I do count calories. I stick with low-fat and high fiber foods as much as possible and that seems to work for me better than anything. I'm not really much of a meat eater so I could never stick with a low carb plan. I do eat chicken, turkey, or fish on occasion, though. I love fresh fruit and veggies so that helps.

I know I don't drink enough water (mostly I just don't like water that much). I'm wondering if I can include Diet Rite as part of my water intake? I do drink quite a bit of it and it's sodium and caffiene free.

For an exercise goal I want to jog at least a mile and walk at least 2 miles 5 times a week, or substitute with an exercise video if it happens to be rainy.

I am really looking forward to being a part of this group! It looks like everyone is really committed and you are all doing great!

Kay
KayElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #53  

Welcome Mel & Kay!

About the iced tea..... have your tried to brew your own from a decaf tea bag and then low cal sweeten/add lemon as usual? I would think that would count toward water if there is no caffeine?

Good Luck to all on your goals!
StillTrying923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 PM   #54  

Thanks so much for the welcome! Wondering though... what's this "check in" email thingy about???

Every Wednesday morning you are sent an email with current weight, loss ect and you fill it out and hit reply to all. It is a way for us to all be accountable to each other but still keep it private and just within our group so it isn't on a public forum. If you have any other questions or I didn't do the explanation well enough let me know-happy to answer questions.
melissa
Old 07-27-2005, 09:02 PM   #55  
Time2LoseWeight

Hi Everyone!

If it is ok I would like to join you. I had a baby 7 weeks ago and need to get rid of the weight I put on before both of my children were born. I was so excited watching the scale go down after my son was born, but now I am watching it slowly go back up. At my highest weight I was 212 and my goal is 150. I would love to be part of your thread to get help and motivation from others.
Time2LoseWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #56  

Hi Julie you are more than welcome. One of the things we do is a weekly check in with each other through email. Could you PM your email address so I can get you added to our list?
thanks
melissa
Old 07-27-2005, 09:16 PM   #57  
I hate my scale

S/C/G: 173/165/130

Talking

Well I drank more water than my little 20 oz. daily goal every day this week and I am finding it easier every day as I go along to drink more.
I have decided that grocery stores are not my friend and I have to be on guard every moment checking labels and avoiding the candy aisle. I have also decided NOT to take others as in hubby or kids with me when I go - This means I can put healthy foods in the cart and take time to follow my list. I spend alot of time in making a list so I can eat better and then can't follow it with kids fussing and hubby putting cookies in the cart
I am also really finding lots of great tips on the forums , one was mixing cottage cheese with yoghurt for a more filling snack and I tried it and it was GOOD.
I did get a bit down when I was reading forum posts and seeing how much exercise everyone does compared to me But then I thought well gee no two people are the same and you have just started after NOT exercising for years.
I will one day look back at my journals and laugh when I can do miles on the bike and lift weights with no prob.
Keep up the good work everyone and thank you for all the support!

Hmm Cukes in water.. I'd prolly end up eating the cukes.. but I'll try it ..
sandisuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #58  

Don't feel alone with the excersize thing-I am awful! Course just basic housework gets my heartrate up-not sure if it due to excersion or cause I had just cleaned it and it is already trashed again-all things come at their own pace. Don't worry about eating the cukes, not only are they extremely low in calories and usually a free item in any food plan but they are good for your kidneys. The way through the grocery store is usually around the perimeter-there you get produce, dairy, meat, ect and I try my best not to take at least my oldest child and if I have to, we set one item that he is allowed to have before we even get to the store and if he bugs me for other things, that one thing goes back-it does make shopping a much nicer experience-
melissa
Old 07-28-2005, 01:04 AM   #59  
a whole new mel

S/C/G: 163/141/130

I managed to get 4mi of walking in tonight and 4.5L of water! More than enough exercise, what with all the running to the bathroom!

I'll pm you my email address, Melissa, as soon as I finish this post up. Looking forward to Wednesday already! I LOVE the accountability aspect of it... I think that might just drive me to up my usual 4mi to 6.

I've also heard that sticking to the perimeter of the grocery store is the best idea... you steer clear of all those processed foods that just wreak havoc on one's system (no matter how good they taste). It's difficult though... 'specially with a family. Usually I'm incapable of having anything in the house that I can't have, but this time it's different somehow. Tonight I made perogies for DH and DD while I opted for something else.

Sandisuze, don't worry one bit about the differences in exercise! Do what you can and try to find something that you really enjoy. It'll make exercising seem like you aren't. I thoroughly enjoy walking and do so most nights with my husband. It's our time to connect after a long day...!

Anyways ladies, I must be off. I hope you all have a great night (what's left of it). Take care. Type you all tomorrow.

~mel
macdeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 03:55 AM   #60  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

welcome to the group mel, kay, and julie. i am so happy everyone is doing so well. i pretty much messed up today. i haven't counted the calories up yet, but i had half a pint of red bean ice cream. 340 calories, yikes! i think that may put me over my target a little. but everything else was healthy.. veggies, lean ground beef/turkey, rice, puffed rice crackers, cranberries. my husband is always encouraging me to be bad!! he picked up the ice cream at the store, and is all like, "look what i got for you honey!"
i also think i am going to skip the gym tonight it's already 1 a.m., so it ain't gonna happen.
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote