Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 03:37 AM   #1  

Default The 5% Club - 5% 100% of the time, and 100% 5% of the time

Hello to all. I have been SERIOUSLY awol, but I'm here now and let's see where we are at. I am still true to the 5% philosophy in this world, even if not a faithful correspondent at this moment. I have followed my pattern - stressful but fun holiday season, and even a more slender silhouette than is usual during the Christmas season - followed by something of a post holiday crash. I have my usual winter SAD like problems - although this year there is not a bit of woe-is-me depression at all - just the desire to sleep sleep sleep sleep and when not sleeping, to read. It's more of an urge to hibernate. It's something I deal with every year and I know it cycles out. If anyone would like to help me with this little problem - you can! Email me and I'll tell you where to send my tickets to Hawaii.

Exercise - even in my slothful "low" I'm making it to the club at least 2-3 times a week. I also took up a Pilates mat class right after the new year - and while my schedule has thwarted my going in the last couple of weeks, I find I really like it. Remember when I was taking ballet? This is the same kind of strengthening, but without the performance anxiety. I also invested in a Pilates program by Brooke Siler that I won on ebay - and that will have to be on my list of things to rejuvinate.

Food - I'm focusing on fiber, adding good-for-you things to my beloved oatmeal about every day. Not doing as well as I should on F&V, and at this moment I'm not particularly embracing a strategy. I'm sort of ready to follow something to increase health, and as you know I have many choices. Pretty much, almost all the plans per se have good points, for me I just once in a while like to get into the structure of it all, and sometimes not so much.

Work - I'm working like a nut. It just seems to get busier and busier for my both in my 'regular' transcription work and also in my fun sideline which does require a little bit of attention from time to time.

Home - Loving the new house, although it is an adjustment with higher mortgage and it's expensive to heat. Parts of the house, notably the end where the bedrooms are, seem a bit cavelike when it is gray and dark, and that can happen here in winter. Having room to spread out is fabulous though. I have been setting up a studio area in the upstairs family room and it really is a dream to have the space - now just some time to work in it would be the best!

Love - DH and I are doing great. I won't tell you about yesterday, when he decided to go hiking and went too far up a trail road and got our little car stuck, then called me to come up and push him out in our bigger car (which is a small suv) - it looked like they made a new reality show, Battle of the Vehicles as I was ramming one vehicle with the other, trying to move it to a safe place to (temporarily) abandon it. Then the screechingly scary ride back down the hill together in the CRV in which I had a full panic attack. Some people say panic attack to say they were scared or highly nervous or stressed, but I assure you, I work in the medical field and this was a full thrashing interlude. At one point I got out and walked becuase I was sure the car was going to slip off the road and down a ravine. Then I was late turning in my work since I had left before deadline for the rescue. Later in the evening, when I sat down to work and all were abed I had the final fun to deal with - DH, who is not so web-savvy, inadvertently had loaded on one of those Adware from H e l l accidental downloads, a particularly obnoxious one and it took me 2 hours to finally rid my drive of its vile tentacles. But that is just yesterday. We are having a great year.

Kids - I am in 13 year old land. No one told me they actually morphed into completely different creatures! Both girls are doing great but my older D's eighth grade year is INTENSE - I'm sure I'll share more later.

That's my life in a very small nutshell. I hope to hear from any 5% souls and continue our fabulous dialog. I intend to plan some great meals, get to the club and work on getting creative time in. I'm going to shop for something a little more structured food and cookingwise, and I'll be looking at some of the things I have done before successfully, and also at new ideas. It's fun to change things around.

Abs how goes it? Steph what is new?

I'm back to work now, but I'll look forward to our forum!

Juno
Old 02-16-2004, 09:49 AM   #2  

OK - Quick HELLO! My 4 year old is bugging me for some time before the 1yr old wakes up and "ruins everything". How goes my life? Well, exercise is great. Getting to the gym 5x week, following a pretty regular weight/cardio routine. Decided that I need a little goal in my life so I'm looking for a 10K to do in March. Once I sign up I'll be able to get my running back on track.

Food is another story entirely. It has been really horrible. I wrote in my journal that I feel as if I am myself watching somebody else eating. I conciously know that what is happening is not how I want to live and treat my body, but its not until after its over that I seem to grasp that this is really ME I have been watching and judging... IS THIS WEIRD? DO YOU GET IT???

I actually bought the fitday download and have been tracking everything since last Thursday. I think its an awesome tool and hope that the structure will help me get a grip.

Home life is good, although I am really sick of winter. Why do I live in New England when I hate it SO much. The snow, the dirt, the grey cold days..... BLAH BLAH... I ordered some seeds/plants for spring and have started to plan my garden.... I am dying to get outside and rake, and plant and get out of my cave....

JUNO - So NICE to have you back! Your adventure sounded SCAREY.... Your studio sounds heavenly (I wish I had some space) . AND I don't know how you survive all these weeks in near darkness.... I just read DROP CITY by TC Boyle.... Have you?? It was pretty good... Nice Alaska bit...

Anyway DD1 calls!! HI STEPH !!!!
Absmom
Old 02-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #3  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Hey there - I am a LONG TIME 5% lurker, but absmom you just brought me to the surface. Yes! I read Drop City and loved it - have you read Tortilla Curtain? It is very good as well. Ok, back to lurkdom.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:02 PM   #4  

Default Happy to see you Abs and Ledom

__________________________________________________ _______________
Food is another story entirely. It has been really horrible. I wrote in my journal that I feel as if I am myself watching somebody else eating. I conciously know that what is happening is not how I want to live and treat my body, but its not until after its over that I seem to grasp that this is really ME I have been watching and judging... IS THIS WEIRD? DO YOU GET IT???

Home life is good, although I am really sick of winter. Why do I live in New England when I hate it SO much. The snow, the dirt, the grey cold days..... BLAH BLAH... I ordered some seeds/plants for spring and have started to plan my garden.... I am dying to get outside and rake, and plant and get out of my cave....

__________________________________________________ ______________
Abs my GF - I repeat your post because I could have written them myself. The eating thing, the cave thing, the darkness thing. I was describing it to a friend yesterday, this time of year - I always like to sleep but sleep at this point of the year is like a sweet warm escape.

That said - I'm going better. I went to body pump and that makes 3 times in the last 2.5 weeks plus 2 other days in the weight room, so that is getting better. We are getting more sun. I'm at the club when I can do it and have started up walking to meet little D on her way home from school (as opposed to driving down to get her when the weather is nasty and it is dark).

These are all good things!

Perhaps going through this annually is part of the 5% thing - hit bottom and then see it as the opportunity for renewal. I really do refuse to not think positive and wend my way out of it.

I also realize that I am at the higher end of my weight range. My clothes still fit fine, no alarm here, but I just feel really unsexy and not as confident. It really does make a difference, and it isn't just an appearance thing, it's just how I feel in my body. Today I was daydreaming (in body pump) about both Fitday and even simpler, the little notebooks that I have kept in the past with calorie counts etc. It needn't be fancy, just make check marks for veg, fruit, grain and protien, or just do a calorie count. Keep it simple.

We have to be good to ourselves. So let's us one and all make sure we make this a Positive Regeneration! I'm ready are you?

Ledom I recognize your name and love to see you in 5% land! I have not read Drop City yet but I have read a book or two by Mr. Boyle, plus he has short stories in the New Yorker from time to time and I really like him. I am definitely a reader and you can visit or join http://ilovetoread.blogdrive.com if you want! I love getting book recommendations and I'll keep this one in mind...

Okay, I'm off to walk down to meet little D. Take care everyone and do something good for yourself!

Juno

Last edited by FitandFine; 02-17-2004 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:55 PM   #5  

I am just dropping in too because I went down for the count this week as we were wiped out with pneumonia!! I thought that was for old and unhealthy people but I would be wrong since one little girl came here with it last week and that was the end of most of the kids and I. Only one of my kids got it and everyone is in recovery mode but it is nasty and I understand how boring it is to have pneumonia too. I could not do anything - just sit on my bed and feel sorry for myself It could have been relaxing but it was just plain annoying!

I had started off the past few weeks in a great exercise land but had started slipping on food choices and when the illness hit - I made no good choices. I kept saying that I knew veggies and grains would help my body recover but I watched my hand reach for all the bad things. I couldn't deal with dishes so we ate out too many times....just made me lazy!!

I look forward to Monday with great hope. I printed out the new exercise spreadsheet and have plenty of healthy food in the house. I am just going to pretend this week did not exist!

ALSO I am never ever ever getting a flu shot again for the rest of my life!!!!!!!!!!! They think that this has been the big problem that started the whole visit to the neuroligist, increased the sinus infections and made me catch every germ. It just knocked my whole immune system for a loop so the shot has not advantage for me!!!

I will see everyone in 5% land next week - still have a few more steps to take to be back there

Steph
Old 02-22-2004, 09:55 AM   #6  

Hi Juno - Steph - Ledom... I am quick once again since I don't know how long DD2 will be amused by my shoes.... It's her thing these days....

I REALLY like the fitday program - 19$ well spent (I guess I've said that already, but it's worth saying again). I have been faithful and feel like it has given me some control back in my life. That whole accountibility thing... I gained 5lbs in January/February... Post-surgical, winter blahs aside --- I just never stepped on a scale or considered what no cardio + bad food choices would add up to... now I know. But, I feel like I am back on track. I have a plan at the gym. Signed up for a 10K April 4, and will participate in the Tri-training group starting in April (in addition to sessions with my sister). I really want to be at a healthy weight this summer and I finally feel like it will happen. I lost 31lbs in 2003 - Yes, I am happy about that - but I still have another 40 to go...

Steph - sorry to hear about your illness, but glad that you are feeling more yourself. Its hard to be 5% when that also happens to be your energy/health/resolve level. Good that you have a plan for tomorrow. I swear that is what it's all about. I hope you find your mojo and make good choices when it comes to food. You know how good it will feel...

It is simple Juno - a notebook, spreadsheet, whatever you can fit into your life that will be there staring you in the face whenever you need that little kick in the butt. There is no secret to living a fit life - the more progress I make the more I realize that it's just a lot of hard work, but with the most wonderful benefits --- energy, confidence, sex appeal?? What more could you ask for??????

The sun is up and the temps are supposed to be above freezing all week. I hate to get my hopes up, but could Spring be on its way?????

Happy 5% Sunday!

Absmom
Old 02-25-2004, 12:59 AM   #7  

Default Life is Good

Hi Abs - Whoa, Fitday used to be free! Guess you can tell how long it has been since I went there! Steph I'm so sorry you have been sick. Weird about the flu shot. I never got one, I just had a hinky feeling about them (the doctors I type for clearly didn't think they were going to be that effective so I didn't feel the urgency) - I just hope you can shake the effects and get back to yourself soon.

Can't talk long but just wanted to check in. I feel like I am back to my normal self and can see a difference already (I pretty much eschew the actual scale except for rare reality checks). I'm making it to Body Pump now regularly and I'm back up to the weight level I was at before I flaked. And on Mondays and Wednesdays there is Mat Pilates, my new love. Getting the cardio as I can and staying away from sugar with reasonable success. I feel clicked back into it and am noticing that my overall mood improves with my exercise level.

Persevere and be 5%

Juno
Old 02-27-2004, 02:49 AM   #8  

Hi Friends - A quick note as the weekend looms before us.

The thought I have today is not to think about big plans, huge intentions and the long road ahead when it comes to health, fitness and weight loss. All that matters? Is your very next action. That's it! You figure out what is the best snack among my choices? What is the best I can put in this shopping cart? How can I move my body today? And if that doesn't work out what can I do instead? Etc. Etc.

Take it one step at a time and treat the whole process like it's the fascinating class you are taking about Life. Go for the A!

Me, I'm doing great. I took a bye from working out today but have done Pilates twice and body pump once, and food was stellar today. I do okay but don't often merit a stellar so I feel pretty good about that!

And, it's back to work for me...

Juno
Old 02-27-2004, 03:25 PM   #9  

I agree that it is all about that day, that moment....I have been doing that for a while now and it is much easier and really helps change the whole atmosphere of the healthy eating and exercising. Today for the first time ever when I took all the kids to McDonalds I had one of those Yogurt & Fruits w/ a diet coke. I stole about 5 fries from each daycare kid and left feeling much better about myself! I am going to have a fattening dinner and didn't want both meals to be that way.

On the food front - we are doing good as a family overall. DH (the chef) has finally started steaming the veggies, cooking with non-saturated fats, broiling the fish without butter etc.......and the kids are eating everything!!! We will still have our big taco nights and huge food bashes but if we can eat better on a nightly basis I think we will do so much better. I still eat good during b-fast/lunch and even my afternoon snack has finally turned into a healthy dose of food. Dinner was the big tough spot!!

Exercise is good - I do two long cardios, two very hard but short interval workouts, and one just steady .... 30 minutes of yoga and two heavy duty strength training. The extra plump stuff is firming up. I don't know if I will ever get to the total lean that I aspire too but overall I'm getting to be happier and proud of this body vs. being always disappointed.

I think Fitday is free on the internet but Absmom bought the program you can use without internet access which has more options?? Let us know what the differences are!!

Juno - sounds like you are back in the "good" swing of things. Very positive posts!!

Absmom - those extra pounds are from this lovely winter spurt! I know that getting outside the past two years with the dogs 5 nights a week too has been the big difference here - I think not just the walking but not feeling stuck inside!

All for me - no school today and my time was sucked up at nap by exercise We've all come a long way and we can just keep on going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph
Old 02-28-2004, 07:19 PM   #10  

Hi Steph - Juno; Yes, Fitday is still free - but the $ program is much quicker (my biggest issue with the on-line version) and yes, has more options. I like keeping my journal private, and the graphs and charts are very motivating for me; places to keep track of your exercise, measurements, nutrition, as well as the food. Hey, its a lot cheaper than Weight Watchers and I feel like I've gotten so much more out of it than I ever did with WW...

I am down 4.5 lbs since Feb 12. That puts me almost where I was in Dec, and I feel much more in control. I didn't get to the gym very much last week because of a sick kid, but I was mindful of that - did my abwork, push-ups at home and got outside for a few walks - 2 with the little one in the back pack.... 21 lbs. It's interesting to think that last year I was esentially carrying her equivalent around fulltime; and then some. More good motivation to keep me going...

Juno - I needed that little reminder about acting 'in the now'... the next snack, workout, move.....I have a tendency to think of what life will be like in the future... "by this time next month, at the rate I am losing, I'll weigh XXX, and be wearing size xxx.... Won't that be great!!" What I fail to see is that in order to get from A to B, you have to work, you have to have a plan, and you have to consider that your actions today will affect your tomorrows. We should also remember to enjoy our todays and celebrate what we are doing for our bodies and not feel like we have to wait until the weight is gone, the shoulders are cut and that bathing suit fits just right......

Steph - I'll be sure not to let my DH read your last post. He is hounding (hee hee) me about getting another dog. Our last, a shepherd, died of lymes disease a year + ago and I vowed not another until we were done with the diapers and I knew what my plans were going to be as far as going back to work (if where when...) They are so much work - I really felt like I was neglecting the dog once DD1 came and although it was sad when he passed, I have to tell you its a lot less stress - no having to walk, accidents, kennels, hair everywhere.... Of course not having to walk could be why I gained so much over the last 5 years??? hmmmm....

Juno you sound great and Steph - I am impressed with your schedule and your determination. It's nice to see that your DH is on board with the healthy eating. Its so much easier to be good.

Well, I am off to watch a movie with DH --- Missing --- Kids are in bed and we're loafing on the couch... NICE!

Happy Saturday night!!

Absmom
Old 03-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #11  

Absmom - I only hopped on because your post about the pets/diapers and work made me laugh!! I think pets are so much easier and less mess than kids!!! I have been walking a dog for the past 13 years but quit during the really cold months....I like doing it. I think because I am home the pets are not such an ordeal but part of my day - before I even feed the 9 kids here I am running around turning on lights & feeding the turtle, fish, birds, cat and dogs!! DH has kennel duty and the deep cleaning of tanks and cages I don't have a gross house even with all the animals - more dirty walls and messes come from kids and crumbs vs. the animals

I even exercised on the weekend which is a big deal because I really tend to try not too. I had a chat with myself about how we have nothing big going on until May so I can utilize the weekends since it is all about hockey or soccer for the kids!

Ground is so mucky!!!! This is the one time I do not like the outside because it is muddy, smelly, etc... I know winter is not over because this is MN but I can only hope the sun will come out and a bunch of 65 degree days are on the horizon but alas it will only be a dream .....................

I think all of us are getting back into mode - keep on going!

Steph
Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #12  

Hi there - I'm on for a quick hi - just got back from Body Pump. Yes I will agree that we are all back in the spirit of things. I guess we just need to hibernate a little bit after the holidays. At least I got a lot of reading done. I wish there was a pause button for my fitness level though, so if I need to slack my achievements didn't have to backslide.

Steph all the pets would make me tired. We have one geriatric cat and that is probably enough for me. Little D wants a puppy and after Tess the Kitty passes maybe we will try on a dog - I like dogs a lot but I have to admit it sounds like WORK. And it's work that, hmmm, I wonder who in this house will be doing it?

I signed DH and myself up for the Cybex training on Saturday morning at our club. I know a lot of the machines, but there are some that are sort of different and I'm intimidated to try to figure it out while all the body builders sit there and watch me. I'd like to make better use of those when I can't do Body Pump.

I continue to sing the praises of mat pilates - I really feel stronger in the "core" but at the same time it is so relaxing and feels like less a workout and more a break.

What will our spring reward be?

Juno
Old 03-03-2004, 08:26 AM   #13  

I hope the reward will be a renewed sense of strength and well-being... You know when everything clicks - energy is high and relationships are on-track... SPRING does it for me, and the weather is teasing me. I know we'll get more snow and cold, but the smell is in the air and the days are getting longer.... SOON! I've started waking at the crack of dawn and getting to the gym early... Well, 9 is early for us... Motivation is high right now and I plan to take full advantage...

On a VERY down note, my sister and training partner had a miscarriage on Monday. It is so sad for her - they've been trying for more than a year and she had just passed into the second trimester. She's being very positive and I am doing what I can for her... just a major bummer......

But, my girls are healthy - FINALLY - yet another signal of spring... Over the past few days, we've spent alot of time outside in the mud (does wonders for my carpets) but the fresh air is SOOOO nice... OK Steph, I agree its gross (the mud) , but how else could we get to the swingset? It's been keeping me out of the fridge (another added bonus) and I am happy to report that I have dropped the 5 lbs I gained in January as well as another 1.5... NICE... My DH is also finally getting on board with his fitness (I think me scheduling a check up for him in April helped), and he's thinking about actually running a race --- the half I did last October. We'll have to see if it comes to fruition.

I am searching for a new weight routine - Any recommendations on books, websites? I have also considered a session with a trainer... I feel like I am getting complacent with my routines, and while I feel strong, I don't feel like I am getting any better, if that makes sense. I took a class this week called HEAT - High Endurance Athletic Training - Its a mix of running/sprint drills, strength training (ala body pump) and a little step aerobics. The class was Monday and I am still sore today. That's what got me thinking that my regular workouts are not doing it for me anymore. Although I want to go to the HEAT class again, I know that keeping a schedule with the kids is a little too much to ask for right now - so the search for a challenging solo routine is on...

Three cheers for you Juno - glad you are back on track... I have no idea what CYBEX is? Is it like Nautilus?

And now my kids are crazy so I am off to start the day! HAPPY 5% Wednesday!!

Absmom
Old 03-09-2004, 08:56 AM   #14  

Hi All!
Must be a busy time for you. Thought I would ck in so that our thread wouldn't be lost.

Just as I feared, winter has returned. We have 2+ inches and flurries right now from an "unstorm".... I've decided that I won't shovel in protest (sorry postman). Kids are FINALLY healthy and we've actually made it to the gym. My weight is stable - which is kind of a drag, but I know that I have been eating a little too much to expect any magic at the scales... Indian food is my downfall and we hit it hard last Saturday night... All the best intentions, but once the garlic naan hit the table....gone.

No matter, we'll just try and adjust things this week. It is a journey isn't it??? Still in search of the perfect ramped up challenging non boring workout... I need a plan steph, as I think of your spread sheets.... hmmmm...

Did find a good site for weights--- Sumptuous.com. Check it out...

Anyway, we're off to the gym -- DD2 is up and whaling...

Juno, STEPH, and lurkers - Happy 5% Tuesday!
Absmom
Old 03-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #15  

I meant to get on a few days ago but can't remember what distracted me I am sure it was one of the other members of my home.

Absmom - we had 9 inches out of nowhere on Friday and then a stupid snowstorm that no one could see while driving yesterday. Even the 9 inches has already melted!! That is why I do not like this time of year....to indecisive!! I think all DH had to shovel was the snowplow stuff at the end of the driveway!

My size has gone down the past two years but really the weight is just about the same. I got down in the 130's but that was really tough for me to maintain. Don't know why??? Is it just where I am at this point in my life because we can't give up the fast food because of running around sometimes or do I really really have to restrict (which I don't know how I would be at that). I don't really snack much anymore, my cardio workouts are very hard compared to even last year, weights are up.....I really should get out there and get some professional advice but maybe I am not ready to hear it.

Workouts good, dinner was one of those over-eating nights because it was one of my favorites and my kids aren't here so I could eat without having to mess with them...., I think my water intake is down so maybe I will push that up again.

Juno - I am trying to remember where I used to go that had Cybex??? Drawing blank but I know I've used them. I love pilates too and for the next three weeks am giving up the weights to just do cardio and pilates to see if there is any change. I really want a certain DVD that I got at the library but can't find it for cheap...guess I will have to fork out the money.

I am trying not to take on any new families (have 4 of my original only left!) because none of these families have quirks which being a daycare provider is usually the conflict vs. the kids & I!! I wanted to keep these families only through my daycare retirement but then I have to be a bit more watchful so I might freak out soon and take another kid. I liked not having to worry about if I bought something this week or next week (without breaking into savings!!)

Absmom - I keep forgetting that I want your e-mail just in case something happens with this board........I am going to try and figure out the private messaging thing - I have Juno's but not yours! Don't feel obligated to give it to me either - I won't be offended if you say no!

Off to enjoy about 45 minutes of quiet household before I have to go get the boys.

Steph
Closed Thread