Old 02-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #61  

By the way Linda, my husband did a similar thing a couple of years ago, he couldn't stand his boss and work was miserable, which effects the whole family. He was afraid to look around for another job because if word got back to his boss he might get fired, but it all worked out and we are all happier now. Fortunately he went right from one job to the next so we had no finacial worries. Hope everything works out for you! I'm sure it will.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:18 PM   #62  

Hi guys! Good and bad day..... First the good news! I made my 10% WW goal today, finally! I've not lost 17 pounds! I lost 2.8 this week, unheard of! Must be a combination of that inner diva and the giving up Chocolate! I'm so pleased!
My DH is ok, and home, but it was quite a scare. He is still having chest pain, but his EKG was "ok". They did bloodwork and will do a stress test at the hospital on Thursday. So, we'll see.
He's not yet given notice, as his boss has been away. Maybe that is a good thing as we truly need to assess what's going on with the chest pain before taking action. He's confident that he'll be ok, though. I worry, that's my job, right?
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:26 PM   #63  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Derry, congrats on your weight loss! That is a MUCH deserved loss and something I'm sure you needed now in this stressful time. I still think your husband should quit. My father went through the same thing because of stress at his work. He was probably the same age as your husband is now. I remember him being rushed to the hospital with chest pains, did the EKG, all that, they found nothing, but yes, next time maybe something will have manifested itself in a more concrete way, the actual heart attack, not just the pains. If you can do it at all, please do it. I have seen too many people literally die from stress-related work here, in fact, the Japanese have a word for it! And how many other people don't outright die but develop diseases. It's not worth it. If your husband stays in this situation you may have the money to pay bills but if you get out I think you will not have the bills at all in the first place. At least give notice. That will take a lot of pressure off him. Well, just my advice.

Last edited by redballoon; 02-15-2005 at 07:29 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #64  

He gave notice this morning, Red. I have to admit to being really scared. We could stand to lose so much if he can't get another job right away, but we won't go down without a fight.
I've never seen my husband so miserable before, so perhaps even giving notice will help his stress level?
As for me, I indulged in birthday cake last night.... my son's 17th birthday. It was vanilla, not chocolate, his choice. I snuck applesauce into the cake mix instead of oil and no one noticed the difference! I have to get on the treadmill this afternoon to "pay" for it all, but it was good.
Friday is my own birthday and we are going to visit my inlaws for the weekend. I always don't do well weight wise when we go there, but I shall survice. Acheiving the 10% goal made me realized that even though I've had many setbacks and a few gains off and on, I will truly acheive what I intend to do!
Linda
Old 02-16-2005, 09:47 AM   #65  

Hi all. Derry - congrats on the loss. I hope things work out for you and your family. If your husband has good skills and a good work history, I am sure he will find something even better soon.

Well, I am feeling pretty good this morning. I actually made a healthy choice for breakfast, instead of the junk I have been eating. AND . . . (drumroll please), I did go to the gym. My workout got interrupted, first by having to run out and turn off the lights I had left on, then a page from work. But, I went. And tomorrow night is my personal trainer session. I'm sure that will be a kick in the butt. Then . . . for one more NSV, I had to stop at the store for some stuff for my group homes, and started to buy a bag of the Reeses Pieces easter eggs (huge candy coated reeses pieces). I had already indulged in a bag of hershey eggs, so I was able to put those back. I may end up getting a bag before the season is out, but I don't need them every day.

Have a great day all.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #66  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, ladies.

Linda: Great job on the 10%! I know how exciting that is. It is a huge accomplishment and one to celebrate. I'm keeping you and your hubby in my prayers. I know it will be tough for you guys, but I'm sure the right thing will come along quickly.

Red: Howdy you! How is Lent going? Mine has been going well, especially with being sick. I'm not all that hungry anyway, so the need to snack is just not there.

Apple: How is the battle with the beer going? As long as it's light beer, you should be okay. Me, I like a dark and thick beer. Something with a strainer, you know!

Jolly: Good for you on your NSV's. Getting to the gym and not buying the additional candy. Great job.

I'm still very sick. Tonight I get my nails done and am treating myself to a pedicure. Haven't had one in about five months, so it's time. Plus, I want pretty toes for walking on the beach with my hubby this coming weekend.

Then I am off to buy a gift for a baby shower. Tomorrow is last minute shopping for relatives in Oregon, then giving the doggies a bath. Friday night is shower and relax before we leave. Ahhh...

Alright, Happy Wednesday.

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:29 PM   #67  

Hi guys!
Chach, sorry you still aren't feeling well. I know exactly what that is like! I'm surviving my days with Advil cold and sinus as my "best friend" right now! This, too, shall pass, right?
DH officially gave notice this morning. So, here we go....
Early this afternoon, I applied for a part time job at the local MacDonalds. They say you can design your own shift, so I figured it might be a good place to start. Wonder if I could stay away from the fries?
Linda
Old 02-16-2005, 02:41 PM   #68  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Hi to everyone.

Thinking of you all lots.

Kathy
luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:32 PM   #69  
Never give up

A quickie here as I've got to get ready to leave.

Derry -- Congratulations on your husband giving notice. This is BIG!! I feel your fear and those are not empty words as I am tottering on the edge of making the leap myself and what keeps me from jumping is largely fear of the unknown. I AM making inroads in other areas. The thing is, they are WORKING and I know I am going to have to make that leap and I feel the fear and am in danger of giving up. Derry, this is meant to be. You have to open yourself up for better things in order for them to come along. You and your family will not regret this and I feel that if you weren't capable of handling this fine you wouldn't be put in this position. Of course you're scared. But breathe deep, center yourself. You're not going to go down. You're going to draw on your resources, and these are great, you're going to calmly and assuredly, with the power of knowing this IS the right move, the only move, allow what supports you to come to you. Join forces with it and you will be all the more powerful.

Excellent with the vanilla cake. See, no chocolate! Enjoy your birthday. Stay off the chocolate. Remember, it's about Lent, not dieting. Hope you feel better soon!

jolly -- Excellent work!! You keep it up. Stay away from the Easter candy though before the bunny brings it!!

Chachee -- you sound strong with your no snacking for Lent. Good for you! I am doing stellar with my Lenten promise, no sugar, none of the other three things either. The sugar and the nuts is hard giving up but I'm doing it!! Hurrah! Sorry to hear you're sick as well. I've never had a pedicure or manicure. Too embarrasing I think at this point. My feet are ugly but good feet! and my hands are ravaged from working outdoors at the stable.

luckycharm -- what's this! a superflyby!! Come on in and chat!!
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #70  

Lucky, nice to hear from you. Hope all is well.
Red, your remarks are empowering. Thanks.
I've never had a manicure or pedicure either. My feet are ugly too!
Hey, so far we've all been awfully good with the Lent thing. Just goes to show what some will power really accomplishes! I feel really good without chocolate, this is truly teaching me that it does not control me, I control it - just like all food.
I also control my destiny. I am scared, have to admit I am. We are in a percarious position and have two kids awfully close to college, so I don't want to lose what it's taken us ages to gather (not that it's much anyway). So, we just HAVE to make it all work.
DH is a great guy, he's much luckier than I am! He has that on his side. We are both survivors.
By the way, his boss is freaking out, booking an early flight home and is offering all kinds of things to get DH to stay. He even offered a month off, thinking that this chest pain thing is "it" and that he needs to "rest". I was thinking that the month off thing sounded good, but DH will just not go for it. It would buy us time. However, he wants to sever all ties and move on. I think for him to be well and be at peace, he must do the move. This has been going on way too long.
Ha! One of the reasons why the boss from _ell is panicked is that DH does his job for him and he knows it!
Linda

Last edited by derrydaughter; 02-16-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #71  
Student of the Hoof

Hey chicks -

This is rather a fly-by from me, as well. I'm reading, lurking... but my anxiety level is getting very high. I'm officially out of money, and I still have no income.

I'm pushing pretty hard on the temp front, but I really did go too long before starting to really look for work. Hopefully something will come through very soon.
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #72  

Raven, I could be in your shoes in about two months, I can totally relate. Can you ask family members for help? Can you put items up for sale on e-bay that might generate some cash? Have a yard sale?
If you need work, why not try waitressing. Years ago, I was married to someone else (seems like another person's life now when I think back as I've been married to my DH for almost 21 years now) at age 19 and divorced at age 20 and when I left him, I had resigned from my job as I was having migrane headaches and miserable there. I didn't realize until later on that it was my marriage that was my problem, not my job, but by then it was too late and I had quit my job. I was able to find a job immediately waitressing, it's not fun and it's tiring, but the immediacy of tips on the first night helped me. I literally had $2.00 in my wallet, 1/4 tank of gas and was sleeping on a friend's sofa. The tips on my first night enabled me to get going again and from then on, I conserved and got my act in gear until I was able to find something else full time.
Foor pantrys are good as well.
Considering that they let you go, are you eligible for unemployment? If you've been denied, ask for a hearing.
I will be praying for you!
As for me, I must be reacting emotionally to what is going on in my life. I just NEVER end the day not using all my ww points, but I actually did that yesterday and ended the day with 3 points left. I have to watch that, as I know that in order to lose weight, you really need to provide your body with enough nutrients, otherwise it holds onto fat, thinking it's being starved. I don't usually NOT eat when I am stressed, don't quite know why this is going on. One thing I have noticed, though, is that without having a constant "high" from chocolate, my emotions are more in check and even though things are not going well, I have not been craving chocolate and figuring out ways to work it into my day. Do you all think chocolate could be an addictive substance? Have there been any studies?
Linda

Last edited by derrydaughter; 02-17-2005 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #73  

Hey all. I only have time for a fly by as well. work is CRAZY!!!!!! I am thinking of all of you, and hope things work out soon. I know what stress can do to you. I will try, in between bills, shopping, dogs, work, work, and more work, to get online again tonight. Take care all
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:16 PM   #74  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, ladies.

Pedicures....I always thought that I had ugly feet, but you know what? So does everyone else! I do them about every other month and they keep my feet nice and soft, not so dry which is a problem up here during the Winter months. I just save the money out of my "allowance" and when I have enough saved, then I get it done.

Thanks, again, to being sick I really still have no appetite. I had a bagel this morning, and probably will have half of a chicken burrito left over from dinner last night for lunch, and maybe some cup'o'soup for dinner, but that is about it. (Unless you count cough drops!)

Linda: You know, working at McD's might help you not want to eat that type of food. I know working at the state fair cured me of curly fries and corn dogs! Be sure to keep us updated to see what the job tries to offer DH to keep him....

Raven: I'm keeping my fingers crossed something comes through for you soon. It's just gotta.

Red: So glad you have been able to keep up with Lent. Great job. Believe me, I know some people that go in to have their feet and hands done have it far worse than yours sound. I was a little weirded out by having someone else touch my feet and scrub the old skin off, but I figure that is what they do, and they must not mind it much, because it pays very well.

Hi to Lucky, Hippy and Happy!

Okay, I gotta get back to work. I might not have a chance to check in tomorrow, as I am going to be swamped, so I'll sign off for now until I get back on March 7th.

I'll be keeping everyone in my prayers and thoughts as you all deal with your struggles. I know it's gotta get better soon. I'm off to help out my parents who are having quite the struggle themselves. Thank goodness I'm in a position to help them now.

Happy February and beginning of March!

Take Care!

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #75  
Never give up

Morning all. Gulping down my oatmeal before I get off for the gym before work. This is going to make it six days in a row! that I've gotten to the gym AND worked out.

derry -- how is the fright factor? You husband giving notice is going to finally put you in gear, not spinning the wheels mode. Don't worry. Things will work out for sure. Oh, and chocolate is definitely addictive. It has caffeine in it. So, your high was also very real, not just an emotional thing. Same as coffee. When your body doesn't get it it screams for it. Luckily, the withdrawal doesn't take as long as nicotine or other drugs but the effects are more subtle and people don't realize how deeply they are affected by it. You're doing your body and mind a great help by getting off the stuff.

raven -- best of luck to you. I read your post on my phone last night. Was going to boot up the computer to reply but I see derry has said the same thing. Go for unemployment if you can. Credit? Anything there? Could you sell your body? Just kidding. There's got to be something. Just try not to panic. Think of the money flowing in. Somehow it will if you stay out of fear mode.

jolly -- hello there! Glad to hear from you. Hope you're doing OK?

Chachee -- you have a good trip. Sure wish you felt better for it though. Maybe you'll get better fast once you're off. How good that you can help your parents out of a tight spot now. Have fun while you're there. Tell us all when you get back.