3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Battle of the Bulge #9 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/52352-battle-bulge-9-a.html)

Crime girl 01-23-2005 08:38 AM

Battle of the Bulge #9

Here is the new thread...enjoy!

Just a reminder- today is weigh in day.

Also-

Monday- support day and a good day for tips on staying motivated

Tuesday- support day and a good day for reasons why we want to lose- I think that keeps us motivated more than anything when we reexamine why we want to lose..

Wednesday- "what have I been eating all week day" and I want to start trying to get everyone to share quick recipes or tips on cooking that work for them.

Thursday- "what I have done to move my bootie day" and I want to get everyone to start giving us an idea on how they work exercise into their lives and the things they enjoy doing.

Friday- support and influence day- lets make this a day we talk about anything or anyone that influenced our weight loss for the week- things like friends giving bad foods or a partner that supported our efforts.

Saturday- recap day- lets talk about the things we thought worked for us for the week and those that didn't- this might help us see where we strayed and where we stood firm.

Sunday- weigh in day and reaffirm goal day- give us an idea of your goals for the week, month, and long term.

Have a great day everyone!

little grasshopper 01-23-2005 09:55 AM

Yeah - new week!! :) uh oh, monday is just around the corner...or in red's case - right at the door....

Crime girl - I'm so sorry about your accident! I can understand the rift between you and your brother. Mine blames himself for a bit of my injuries because he was asleep behind me and wasn't seat belted either. He hit my seat and broke it off it's track. I went through the windshield too but with the top of my head. I broke the dash board first with my forehead, and that snapped it downward so it was the top that broke the window. They wanted to do all kinds of surgeries right afterwards but my mom was scared and everyone she turned to for advice was in the car with us....so she stalled and it saved me a lot of problems in the long run.

Red - to answer your questions...my mom broke all of the joints between her hand and fingers. She was gripping the stearing wheel, trying to not run us under the bus. Her hands were swelling really quickly - that's why she was trying to take my rings off. As for the time line - I know it's screwy. I couldn't testify at all in the trial because of how messed up my memories are of the wreck. So my mom broke her hand, my grandmother cut her head really badly but she was rushed to the hospital because she started having trouble breathing...turned out she was in shock. My brother banged his leg up pretty badly under my seat but his biggest problem was waking up to a wreck like that - he was 10 at the time and was a HUGE kid! Still is a big guy. I had the only door that worked but all the windows were busted out - he got out his window and was running for the bus driver trying to get him to help us. The bus driver was scared of my brother (and probably in shock) so he wouldn't open the door. So my poor brother was 10 and alone with all of us looking really hurt and not able to get us out of the car. He has a lot of issues about driving and riding in cars and will probably never sleep in one again!

I had an engine in my lap too, so my modeling legs are gone :) (I do remember the doctor telling me that....but only because I had an aunt standing at my head in the ER - she was crying and dropping tears in my face - CONSTANTLY. It was really pissing me off at the time because I didn't have any idea who this woman was!). It took me a vew days to straighten that kind of stuff out. I knew some people but not others. I got most of that stuff back but did have a bit of lasting damage. Balance, coordination, long term memory, following lines - like a flow chart. I do memory puzzles and games a lot to try to get it back. But I'm still the worst in a group when they do games like that....you know - call out 10 numbers and then write down as many as you can remember - I never get more than 3. I'm working on it through.

I have a wonderful life - with or without the wreck. it's just a big hicup and and did alter the course of my life....That's why the detox stuff is so important to me. It helps my brain and it helps the pain too. Makes me normal :)

okay, enough of the book - I am the one NOT trying to write one ;) Look how well I'm not doing :) :)

stormy1 01-23-2005 11:24 AM

Hi everyone! Wow, you guys have been getting pretty deep in here!

Well I made it home finally! We had class Friday and on Saturday we had our first class from 8-10, however the rest of our classes were cancelled b/c of the weather. There was so much snow. Over 12 inches from Friday night into Saturday. There were blizzard like conditions in Michigan and Northern Ohio. So since class was cancelled I decided that I would try to get a flight out. I went to the airport which is about 2 hours southeast of where I go to school. The weather there was snowy but not that bad. Well I ended up spending about 10 hours at the airport. At first I thought it wouldn't be bad. Hey, I could study right? Wrong!Well I could not find a quite place anywhere. Flights were being diverted from everywhere, flights were cancelled, people were stranded, people were upset, it was noisey.... My flight kept being delayed. I was finally able to fly out about 10:00 last night. I am so glad to be home. Atleast it is in the 20s here. At school it was below 0 with the windchill. CG, you are so lucky to be in Florida. I know that you would like to be some place else, but it always looks greener on the other side, right?

CG, how is school going? I am glad that you have been doing that x box thing. Keep it up. Maya may be hard, but just think what a great bod you will have!

Red, hi! Do not be discouraged about the scale. It will come. You need to really try to change the eating though, b/c you do not want to add fat on top of that muscle you are gaining. It is so hard to pass that chocolate, sugar etc up. Maybe try doing a free day thing where you can eat whatever you want. Just remember you are making progress. You are getting back into your workout routine which is great! Also you are passing up the beer! That is mucho empty calories. No matter what you are doing better that a month ago. I am very proud of you!

GH, hitting that wine, huh? It is nice to do that sometimes. I thought about it yesterday when I was stuck at the airport. I had several free drink coupons. However, it is no fun drinking alone. You are so lucky that you lived through that accident. You should look at each day as a blessing b/c you are truly blessed to be alive! So is the snow over or is the stuff that TN has had is heading your way? You may have to work out at home for a while.

Well I have not worked out in two days. I had my cheat day yesterday. I was planning on getting back on track today, but I am in major pain. My left knee has always given me problems. My ligaments are very hypermobile as I have told you all in the past. In class Friday we did a lot of techniques that kind of aggervated my knee. Since I started taking glucosamine several months ago I have not had any problems. I bought a different brand a couple of weeks ago and that may have something to do with it. I am in major pain today. I did an ultrasound this AM to try to relieve some of the pain and I have a thermacare heat wrap on it now. I am hoping the pain will go away soon so I can workout tonight.

I know today is weigh in day, but I am very fearful. I guess I will breakdown and weigh before the day is through and give you an update CG.

CG and KJK, I need an update from you both. There has not been much reporting on the points. You guys are still working on this right???

stormy1 01-23-2005 01:20 PM

Ok, this is not good. I am up a pound too. Oh well....

stormy1 01-23-2005 01:26 PM

NBK, I am sorry to hear about your hair pulling. I thought that you might find this interesting. There is a condition called:trichotillomania
According to www. trich.org Trichotillomania (TTM) is an impulse disorder that causes people to pull out the hair from their scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, or other parts of the body, resulting in noticeable bald patches. It is currently defined as an impulse-control disorder, but there are still questions about how it should be classified. It may seem, at times, to resemble a habit, an addiction, a tic disorder or an obsessive-compulsive disorder. It is estimated to affect one to two percent of the population, or four to eleven million Americans.

Look under any internet search engine and type it in to learn more about it. I hope this helps a little.

HAL123 01-23-2005 02:52 PM

HI Guys! Looks like I have lots to catch up on. I had a good weekend. Just got to pop out to a wellsite to check on what's happening with my equipment. but when I get back in I'll be due a break and hopefully can catch up then (if there isn't a posting flurry in the next hour or so!)
Cheers
Tiff

redballoon 01-23-2005 04:37 PM

monday morning . . .

Good morning, people. Try to get a quick one out here before I get swamped under posts.

Crime girl -- I miss my horoscope!! Had to watch the one on TV and it wasn't good. Oh well. I'm not really as bothered by it as I make out to be. I'm just kind of kidding. I am so stubborn and contrary (that's what people say) that I think perhaps a bad horoscope will make me turn the day around just to spite it! No, really, I just need kind and encouraging words to offset all the things I worry about and dread during the day.

Thank you for the lengthy explanation of your accident, its aftermath and how you were affected. Your friend who protected you at school afterward is truly a friend. What a guy. I think I would have married him. That's so sad about your brother blaming himself. Does he still have a drinking problem? I'm glad you're getting to be close again.

little grasshopper -- to you too, thank you for the further explanation of what happened to you in the accident. Really, the more I hear, the more it sounds like it is incredible you got through that alive. Your poor little brother. The feeling of helplessness he must have gone through. And what foresight your mother had to know to take off the rings. Now I understand. You've had to work so hard after that and I suppose a lot of things you'll never know if it was because of the accident or not. As for puzzles, I don't think I would do any better and I never had such a blow to the head as you (although I got a lot of whacks and boxed ears from my father!)

stormy -- welcome back!! glad to hear you finally were able to get home. The airport sounds horrible. I would have been sorely tempted to indulge in the drinks but like you said, it's no fun alone and besides, if you had, you may still be sitting (or lying) in the airport (if you're anything like me! :lol:

Yes, I know about the scale and I honestly do want to get the fat off but I seem to truly be stuck in bad habits. They seem to be my only solace when I am rushing from place to place and trying to fit everything in. There is no time to prepare food it seems and it certainly is not something I enjoy doing. Then I reach for whatever is there and that is always processed carbs and sugar, the worst things. Yesterday, however, I did take an apple with me, cut up in a ziploc bag. That was a very good thing. But now I'm thinking I didn't buy any apples and the stores won't be open till after I need it. . .I have too many things in my life and it seems nothing is working FOR me. I will just have to become even more vigilant.

You too, sorry to hear you gained a pound. Still, a pound could be anything, water weight or so, so don't worry. Consider it having maintained your weight. You know you haven't been able to work out. Besides, all that sitting around in the airport and all will surely have you a bit puffy. Let's both try for a loss this week!

NBK -- welcome back to you too! Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

Ok, people, got to run. KJK, where are you? Michi? Jacque? :?: We want to hear from you!! :sunny:

little grasshopper 01-23-2005 04:41 PM

Hi everyone! Welcome home Stormy!!! Sorry you had to miss class - I'm sure they'll throw a makeup weekend in there somewhere :( I once got stuck at an airport in Atlanta with a WHOLE GROUP of highschool cheerleaders. They were on their way to a tournament or something and they just kept cheering and cheering - they were driving all the adults crazy!!! Now, it's funny when I look back on it though :) I hope you're knee is doing better soon - I'm glad you have all the ultra sound equipment to use! And switch back to the old vitamin. I'm sure you knwo different each pill company is!

Red - don't worry, I'm the lush, not you :) I have not had a drink in so long that it takes nothing to get me tipsy! I have got to cheat a bit this week. If not I'll be sick the whole time I'm on vacation....I don't want my body going into too much of a shock :) I've been pretty good though...controled cheating. I'm not eating straight up sugar or dairy or other grains but I am having meats that I wouldn't normally have, seasonings and potatoes and stuff like that - I had eggs for breakfast. I'm enjoying myself for now. BUT I did make an appointment with the doc as soon as I return so that I have no choice but to get back on track!

okay, I have to go grocery shopping.

I think the wine dehydrated me a bit. This morning I was 135. I'm sure i'll be right back to 140 by tomorrow :) Especially with the cheating.....this week and next will just have to be off program. I will be good for health sake but my grandmother cooks to tell you she loves you and she only knows one way to cook - lots of yummy, fattening stuff. :) I'll try to get salads in though.

time for grocery shopping - see you guys soon!

redballoon 01-23-2005 04:46 PM

Hi grasshopper!! Heh, don't knock it. Maybe the drop in weight wasnn't the wine. Take it while you can!! :spin:

HAL123 01-23-2005 05:09 PM

Ok here goes. Doing a bit of stealth mission... anyway

Red & CG & Stormy- thanks for your concern. I just get really tense sometimes and the plucking takes my conscious mind of my issues and lets me relax in a way. It's not impulsive or compulsive as such, and I haven't ever given myself bald patches! he eh but no worries.

The clothes thing makes it sound like he can't dress himself.. which is far from the case.he is a very snappy dresser and often picks out pretty cool stuff for me too when we go shopping - I get sick of shopping LONG before he does. So it was more of a suprise that he had a dud outfit on that made me say something. But yeah engage brain before mouth is something I am trying to do.. also works with appetite control! damn it..

LGH- Lollies are sweets or candy. Sorry most of the time I do try to translate my posts into "american" but from time to time I will slip and talk in Kiwi! he he..

My weekend was awesome. I got a gas bottle for my free bbq so i could use it finally! so I had healthy bbq's on friday and sat nights! WOO HOO. On friday I took the afternoon off to spend some QT with my boy as I knew we wouldn't really get a chance to talk until sunday otherwise - he has his daughter on saturdays. Anyway it was such a good move to make. We talked about what had pissed him off and then made up, and went for a beautiful walk in the sun up one of the river tracks that goes through our town. It was cool as he showed me all the swimming holes he used to take his dog to. We went for a swim too, it was cold but so nice to just be so carefree! I love swimming in the river or sea. so much better than in the pool. Anyway on saturday I went down to the beach for a swim and bumped into him and his daughter and he was comfortable enough that I hung out with them the rest of the afternoon. I tell you what 6 year olds especially really intelligent ones are hard work! he he.. sunday we went to the beach and also played a bit of golf, well I played swing and miss, and he played golf! I actually did improve a bit, so who knows, maybe I'll be the next tigress woods! lol..Food was ok until last night when I ate two HUGE as bananas for dessert. This is really amusing me the fact I can feel as bloated on healthy food as I can on McD's!

Anyway I wanted to say, that I have read the stories that everyone has related on this board about their own personal tragedies, and what blows me away the most is not the horror and severity of what has happened to you all or the losses you have incurred, but the fact that all of you have gotten back up and got on with your life and not let it hold you back at all! i am incredibly inspired by the way you all make things happen for yourselves. so many people let lesser things hold them back and prevent them from really living! You are just all amazing! Thank you for letting me get to know you.

Hugs
Tiffany

kjk123 01-23-2005 06:01 PM

Hi all....

Not much to post lately. I am up 1.5 pounds, trying not to make a big deal of it. I haven't exercised since Wednesday and I haven't really been eating all that well. So that sums things up in a nutshell.

Stormy, I really don't know where I am in my points. I think that CG is probably kicking my lazy *** (pardon my language). I'm trying to get motivated again, but I just don't think I can do it.....

Sorry ladies, gotta run, we're watching the football game. Hope you are all doing well on your journeys.....

Kelly

little grasshopper 01-23-2005 07:49 PM

NBK - you're too sweet. Your weekend sounds wonderful - especially the swim :) I live near a lake but it's WAY too cold to think of swimming in it right now :) I grew up by the ocean and I really miss it sometimes. I'm so glad we moved near this lake - I feel at home near water...at peace some how. I'm still eternally jealous of your country though :) :)

kjk - this is about life. I hope you read this! You're going to have times when you'd rather slap us each individually, than eat healthy or exercise. It's just going to be like that. Take a break, fine, but stay on the board...reach journals, watch inspirational stories, read fitness magazines and find the will again. It's in you - I promise!!! We all take breaks - each of us. We know you can do it, when you're ready to. And we're here for you either way. Stay with us and talk to us. We won't make you do anything you don't want to :)

stormy1 01-23-2005 08:22 PM

Hi everyone.

KJK, do not be so hard on yourself. You can do this. You were doing great...everyone has set backs and that is okay. Stay with us!

Little Gh, when do you go to Arkansas? BTW an airport full of cheerleaders would have drove me nuts!

NBK, I am glad that you had a wonderful weekend. Just be careful with the plucking!

Red, we will lose this week! Try cutting up carrots, apples, etc and put them in zippies. I do this on Sunday. It takes time but it will provide healthy snacks for you all week.

Crime girl 01-23-2005 10:52 PM

Good night!

Sorry I haven't written a lot today but I got a lot of work done and am almost caught up with school work. Feels good to get things done.

As for my weight today-I don't even want to say because it has shot up SO MUCH- I am going to try to concentrate on getting back on track and less about my weight. If I concentrate on all that weight gain I am going to freak. :dizzy:

little grasshopper- You went through so much with your accident. Wow- much harder experience than me and for that I am sorry you had to go through it. Sounds like it was chaos for awhile and I can now see why you are on the program that you are on if it helps recovery from this accident. I am glad you were not hurt worse and I think it is a blessing that you can't remember every detail.
Congrats on the weight loss and I am sure it is not all due to the wine. :bravo:

red balloon- sorry about missing the horoscope- I will do better tomorrow. :^:
As for the effects of the wreck- I did end up dating that guy and to this day my mom talks about him like he is a saint. The funny thing is he was always the "bad boy" in school- getting into trouble- raising ****. When it came to me though he was a sweetheart and was kind. People use to kid him about it. :lol:
My brother joined AA years ago and is doing much better although we have never talked about the accident. He has healed I think and in some ways his injuries were worse than mine. Physical injuries tend to heal most of the time but emotional ones can be hard to fix.

stormy- glad you are back from school despite the delay! How did things go for you? Are you hanging in there?
I am sorry your knee is causing you pain- get some of the good meds woman! Take care of yourself!
I am not sure about my challenge numbers- I think maybe kjk and I should start this back up on Valentine's Day?? :D
Don't sweat the pound-you know how scales are- tomorrow could mean a shift the other way of a pound. Just keep fighting the good fight and the rest will take of itself.

NBK- Sounds like you had a great weekend- I am happy for you. :D
Be careful with the plucking thing and make sure it doesn't escalate or become a problem in itself. Ask for help if you need it- we are here for you.

Things with your boy sound better so that is wonderful news. Have fun with him while he is home and try to not spend very much time at odds or I fear you will regret it.

I have decided I am stealing you term "lollies" for my own use- I will treasure it with "chan" and it will provide much fun for me. I love to try to use colorful expressions and such in my speech. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words about recovery after the accident- I have to admit though that it sounds more inspiring than it was. I was not brave I am ashamed to say. It was a hard thing for me and for awhile after I would have been injured and bitter for anyone saying it had its silver lining as well. I guess healing takes time and after awhile you can look back and see that it was as little grasshopper says a hiccup on the road of a long life. I think the biggest thing I learned from any tragedy in my life is that we are blessed for every single minute we are allowed to live.

kjk- Dont worry too much. I assure you I am NOT kicking your butt. I have gained SO much weight back and I can't seem to get with the program and stop eating. What the **** is the matter with me?? I exercise sporadically and eat like I am young and carefree- calories don't matter and I can eat anything I want. Yuck! Disgusted with myself.
Don't give up though! You can do it!

Okay my friends- thanks for all the support and for listening to all my blubbering! This board has made a profound change in my life and I want to let you all know I appreciate all you do to make my life better. ;)

Have a wonderful night everyone! Sleep pretty and have glorious dreams of half naked...wait that is probably just me , right? Okay more G rated- have great dreams of being healthy and fit and being served by half naked..wait...down that road again...eh...okay have pleasant dreams.

Good night!

stormy1 01-24-2005 12:34 AM

CG-you were in an accident too. I just reread the posts. You too are so lucky! Glad you are caught up with school. I am not anywhere close. I tried to cut back my hours at work but I guess they did not get it. I have a full load this week. Why can't we have more hours in a day. I guess if we did we would just find ways to fill them up and I bet it wouldn't be with rest.

CG and KJK, do not put off this challenge. Both of you need to get your butts back on track. You can both do it. Do not let a few set backs mess you up. Just jump right back on it!

Well I did not exercise again today. My knee is a little better. I was going to do upper body weights but I just felt too tired. I did a little school work, went grocery shopping, but manily just layed around. Day 3 without exercise. I did fine with eating. I WILL get back to exercise Monday after work! I promise!

redballoon 01-24-2005 01:34 AM

Heh people. How are you all? Glad to see some posting going on. We've been losing a bit of momentum here.

NBK -- I wish you wouldn't translate your posts. I love not understanding things. Then I go look it up on the Net and learn something. Really adds color I think. I mean usually you can figure it out more or less anyhow. This is how I feel talking with Americans now, being culturally ******ed, at least pop American culture. Your weekend sounds too nice to comment on. I am insanely jealous. Sunny walks up rivers and swimming in them too. I'm freezing here. Hands are cracked and hurt all the time. I am sick of having to swathe myself in scarves, put on thermal underwear and just be weighed down under all these clothes! So, pigging out on bananas, huh? Funny, how that isn't usually the case with me. I wish I liked bananas. Used to as a little girl but my parents practically forcefed them to me and I grew to hate them. Now, I can't eat them.

KJK -- good to hear from you again. Don't fret over 1.5 lbs. At least you have a clear reason for it. Weight loss takes vigilance. We've become comfortable with routines, patterns, habits and breaking them is what makes for change, here, weight loss. It will take time. I struggle so much. A little slip and I'm back hovering at this weight. It seems all I do is lose, slip, hover, lose, slip, hover. Don't try too hard to get motivated. You have to coax it out sometime but just pretending to go away. Try to just maintain. And that's a big "just." Like grasshopper said, we all grow through these slumps, but if you can at least treat it like a pitstop, a little time out without leaping back up to where you were, doing what you always did, then you'll still be ahead in the long run. And also, it doesn't necessarily mean you've gained. It could have just been a high number day. How do you feel? Do you feel any better? Heh, heard about the football game. Bummer, the Steelers lost. I assume you were rooting for them?!?! Who won the other game?

Stormy -- thanks for the reminder to cut things up. I don't like carrots but can eat them. Don't think I would look forward to them though. Apples I could do. In fact, I bought a big bag of apples for just that purpose. Am going to try to always have one on hand, or already cut up in case I can't cut it up outside. I don't mind eating them whole but if I'm in the city it's kind of a major faux pas here. Besides, it's a bit messy. OK, I'm going to think of what veggies I do like and get them and cut them up. Celery, thinly sliced carrot sticks, ok, cucumbers. I will do this. I am going to break through this slump. I am sick of being stuck, stuck, stuck. How 'bout you storm, what are you going to do this week so you can see a minus on that scale come Sunday? Hope that knee gets better quick. Glad to hear it's a bit better. Can you swim? That would be ok for it. Good for you for doing well with the eating! And I want to hear you went to the gym!

Crime girl -- Sorry to hear the weight has jumped. Please try to get back on track. We really need you. Don't focus on the weight. Focus on your eating. I know you're really busy now and that makes it tough. You're concentrating on studying and you, if you're like me, want that time to just faze out and relax and that time is probably coupled with eating. Try to uncouple it. Hot baths, walking the dog. I'm with stormy in thinking you shouldn't postpone your challenge with kjk. You're both great for each other now because you seem to be going through similar things, a bit of a slump, a bit of lost motivation, though perhaps for different reasons. You can always revise your challenge, make it a bit easier for you because that may still be hard enough. But, whatever, you do, just stay here with us, ok?!! So, how much did you gain? I think you should tell us. I think so many people run off and hide the first minute things aren't going glowingly. What for, that's what this place is for. If we were all a bunch of constant success stories, always up, always gung-ho, we wouldn't BE here! Think of it as rehabilitation. You had a fall. Ok, back up and at 'em. Heh, you don't have to run. You can crawl. But at least go through the motions. Speaking of such, where is Jacque!?

Oh and heh, I'm totally with you on the half naked dreams. My dreams would be material for Letters to Penthouse. :lol:

little grasshopper 01-24-2005 04:51 AM

ug - high guys. I've been up since 3:30. Can't blame BF this time. Well sort of can - I was FREEZING last night so the sweetheart turned the heat up and now it's hot as **** in here! But that's not the real reason - I didn't eat well yesterday and my whole torso aches. Also didn't drink enough water. I guess my idea of easing into cheating went a little further ahead than i thought it did. I am going to just have to tell Grandma that I can eat stuff, just in moderation - severe moderation. I can't feel like this the whole time I'm there either.

NBK - didn't you go throug this....eating healthy for a long time and then eating junk and WOW you're body isn't ready for it! I confess I had 1 (I promise it was 1) regular taco at taco bell yesterday....I sat in the drive through line thinking "oh my god! I'm eating fast food!! After watching that awful movie - I'm eating fast food!!!!" :) I had a water with it too.

Crime girl - with your schedule I am really proud of the progress you've made with your weight issues. How you manage to be in school and to read or post anywhere other than school related places is completely beyond me!! So don't sweat the weight - you're on a good path. Keep going! You may take two steps forward and one back but at that rate you're still moving forward!!!! You can and will get there! And we'll all be here cheering for you ! As for being brave after your wreck..brave has many faces. Just going through rehab is brave...plenty of people don't. Seaking treatment is brave...plenty of people give up and going back to school - even though you were made to and had a sort of emotional body guard - is brave! Most people don't feel brave while being so! I think you WERE brave. You were also young and scared. I'm glad you're doing so well now and I'm glad you're brother is doing well too. I agree with you - my little brother got the short end too.

okay guys I'm going to lie down and try to sleep for a bit. Long LONG LOOOONNNNGGG day coming up!

redballoon 01-24-2005 07:45 AM

Heh guys. Just in from a reception. I wasn't going to go but then did. Of course, I ate and drank but not much. The ice cream sandwich on the way home didn't help or the chocolate. God, the alcohol just has me letting out the stops. Oh well. At least I went. I almost didn't. Was tired and still have tons of work to do, now with less time to do it in. But I met so many people I know and may have got lines to work so it wasn't a wasted night. It was the racing awards for last year, horse of the year, top sprinter, that kind of thing. There was a buffet party after the award ceremony. Really, I had decided not to go, then with just barely enough time to get there on time I decided, no, **** I'll go. I felt so fat and clothes were tight, on top of being the same old outfit I wear but I thought, oh, who cares, just go, give em all the big smile they seem to like and work the place, so I did and I'm glad I went. Gotta get out there and live, not just sit around waiting to look good. I take my cue from all the guys. God, some of them look horrendous and yet they're out there. So, I'm going to go, looking horrendous or not (which I don't) and the just try to get better for next time. The important thing is showing up they say.

Grasshopper -- I sure hope you feel better. Did you get some sleep finally? I agree with what you said to Crime g. too. So sweet.

Ok, goodnight people. Hope to hear from you all tomorrow morning. :wave:

little grasshopper 01-24-2005 08:09 AM

Red I'm rushing out the door for work - I saw your post.

Sleep well!! I'm glad you went - I hope it DOES give you lots of good work leads!! Talk to you tomorrow :)

stormy1 01-24-2005 08:36 AM

HI everyone!

Today will be a better day. We all have ups and downs in our lives and on the scales. There will always be an excuse for us-like I'll start again at a better time. However, we must face the fact that there will always be tough times. Therefore, let's all reaffirm our goals today. We can do this!!! We will do this!!!

I am going to lose twenty to thirty more pounds by summer!
I am going to continue working out six days a week!
I am going to make proper food choices throughout the week and allow myself to cheat once a week and not feel bad about it!

Alright, I want to hear from everyone. Even those who are just lurking around. I read somewhere that Jan 24th is the most depressing day of the year. One of the reasons is that people start not keeping their resolutions. Let's do this!!! Feeling sorry for ourselves will not do anything. In fact it sets you up for a self-fufilling prophecy to fail. We will not!

:cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp:

Crime girl 01-24-2005 09:24 AM

Good morning!!!

Okay- first off I want to say "thanks" to stormy because I think I needed to hear that and it got me motivated and fired up again about doing this. I am pausing for a moment to get on the scale because red is right- I need to share the good and the bad ( I think this might be the ugly though)...
Okay I am 287 and that is horrible but I did this to myself- my fault and I am human so I am getting back on board and I will get below 280 by Valentines Day if it kills me! So there- I want to be 230 or below for graduation on April 28th so I need to get my butt in gear.

Stormy- Great job getting motivated! I am glad you are still trying to do some exercise even though I am sure the knee is painful. Upper body is good until you heal. Get better soon!
As for school- I am somewhat caught up but that just means I am OKay for tomorrow's class. I have a huge reading week this week so that will keep me busy. I look at it this way- anything that distracts me from going to the fridge is a good thing. :D

little grasshopper- Thanks for the encouraging words. I think I took more than 1 step back but you are right- I can do this and the encouragement and support just get me more fired up about it. SO thanks!
Sorry you couldn't sleep- my bf does that too- turns the heat way up and then I sweat to death. I hade to get up this morning and adjust it back down to a normal tempature. It is actually cold for here- 27 degrees. I am so happy and I am going to go for a long walk in the cold later. :D

red balloon- I am so happy you went to your event. It feels good to get out and socialize sometimes. I am sure you looked great- I know when we are not 100 % like we would like to be it messes with our self perception but I would bet it was all in your mind. ;)
Also thanks for the encouragement but you should read your own advice. You are not the exception to what you are saying. Give yourself some credit! You have done so well!

Your horoscope for today:
Your moons will align today providing a stress free day for you. Take advantage of your good fortune and get out there and enjoy life. Watch out for those that seek to sabatoge you. Rise above their intentions and embrace life. Your lucky color today is blue and your lucky numbers are 11 and 47.

Alright kids- I am going to restate my goals so Stormy does not send the dogs out after me.. :lol:
I am going to exercise at least 20 minutes a day at least 5 days a week.
I will stay under 1200 calories.
I will drink at least 8 (.5 liter) bottles of water a day
I will try to maintain a positive attitude about weight loss

Okay well I need to go read for class-
Have a wonderful day everyone!!!

HAL123 01-24-2005 03:17 PM

Kia Ora!

Well it is another beautiful day here today!! Luckily my bf didn't get a surf in this morning and came back to see if I needed a lift to work as I had fallen asleep with the radio blaring! he had to knock for 5 mins to get me to wake up!! EEEK I think I might have been very late for work this morning otherwise.. but i was still a little late and have missed a black-hole meeting..so the day is going great! lol. Last night we watched the Supersize Me movie. Personally I think he could have been more sensible, like not constantly eat double cheese/quarter pounders or drink coke as much as he did.. and also I believe, like LGH and I have found out, if you have a really healthy diet for even 2-4 weeks and then eat junk you feel like crap, so if he was living with a vegan and then goes on a McD's binge of course his body is going to react so badly! I'm not saying McD's is good for you.. but honestly a little scientific integrity wouldn't have gone astray! But still BF has decided to see how long he can go without McDs.. I know I can go without it easily when he's not here to talk me into it.. so I'll keep you posted!

Red - I'm really pleased to hear you made yourself go to the awards dinner anyway. And as for the "same old outfit" most men won't really notice, and the chicks that do, well you could probably beat them in a battle of wits, and in the end intelligence is far more interesting in the long run than rock hard thighs and flash clothes! Umm yeah bananas, I don't really rate them raw, but baked they are soooooooooo good. They are even better fried in a little butter, but that's just not on at the moment.

CG- Yay.. get back on the wagon! You can do it! I know you can.. Damn it. Just think of it as another class for school! You have to do homework and assignments (eating right and exercising). Maybe if you schedule exercise into your day like that, you might find it easier?? Tips: Ok... did you know that being cold when you sleep requires you to burn more calories?. Also if you drink your water ICY cold then you body has to work to warm it up before you can absorb it properly... so that means burn more calories.

LGH - taco bell, i've never tried that before. I like burritos that I make myself, in fact I generally have a small baggie with a two burrito serving size of chilli that I made myself in the freezer so I can make it at home when I get a craving! I put heaps of veges in the chili too - tomatoes, spinach, courgette, mushroom..as well as mince that i cook then drain and pat dry with paper towels and beans and some mexican type seasonings. Maybe you could try this instead? That way you get the cheat but still have control!

Stormy - Sorry to hear about your knee - do you have a brace for it? But I agree that swimming would be really good for you. Thanks for getting us all motivated today too!

my goals are:
To be under 70 kg by the end of April
To have a body fat below 30% by my 25th birthday in September
To be happy with my body and enjoy all the things it can do
To fit into a pair of NZ size 10 pants/skirt - it only has to be 1 thing and I don't care if it is a big size 10 lol... NZ10 = US 6 I think by the end of the year.

Alright lets do it girls!!!
have a great day
Tiff

Crime girl 01-24-2005 04:03 PM

Update....

Day One!
I got up early this morning and did 15 minutes with Maya and was sweating like a hooker in church when I got finished. So..good first start.

I am eating sensibly and counting calories again so it seems like a project more than a diet. (Thanks NBK- you are right- helps to look at it as a project)
Anyway- I going to take my dog on a walk at dusk and try to get in some more exercise. :D

Okay- just wanted to check in. Need to get back to the school work.
More later-

redballoon 01-24-2005 04:12 PM

Up and at 'em!!

:cp: :cp: Good for you Crime girl!! That's the way! I'm so proud of you! :yes:

HAL123 01-24-2005 04:25 PM

HA HA HA HA Hooker in church. CLassic

(better than my oh so classy sweating like a rapist)

redballoon 01-24-2005 04:47 PM

morning all. . .

Good morning. Had a bit of a hard time sleeping last night. Must have been the jasmine tea I drank before going to bed. It has green tea in it and I thought it may keep me awake and I think it did a bit. But, I'm OK. Buying that by the way was my save to end the night even though I was buying it along with that ice cream sandwich. I find that I'm usually just looking for a "taste experience" when I go into the convenience store and this (and barley tea and sparkling water) is one way of keeping the calories down in a great way!

Yes, I'm glad I got to the awards party last night. I really have to force myself to be more adventuresome in getting out and then once I'm out actually talk with people. You see, I'm basically a very shy person. People laugh when I say that which just makes me worry because they must think I'm very arrogant or cold if they don't think I'm shy. Yesterday,I was thinking of all the work I've been putting off and I had all these good reasons for NOT going but then I thought, look, this is a once a year thing. Just go, don't care so much about how you look. You're not the one getting the award. And the kicker was thinking that this is it, the moment will be gone, I'll have missed it, this day, this particular party will never be again and I'll be saying, no, I didn't go. That is what really got me out there.

You know, the other day on the train, in a similar thing, I heard a man talking on his cell phone. At first he was speaking Japanese and I thought he was Japanese, though he looked a little different. Then he started speaking another language and I couldn't recognize it. It was really cool sounding, and I was thinking all these things, it sounded like a lot of languages I'd heard but nothing just right. I was intrigued. I love foreign languages and here was one I couldn't pin down. Then I saw that he did indeed look Caucasian so I was wondering even more what it could be. I really wanted to know and was thinking I should ask him but you never talk to people in trains and I felt silly about it. He was still sitting there when I went to get off so I thought, well, this is my chance, either I ask or I will never know what that language was. So I asked and he was very nice and it turned out to be Spanish. I couldn't believe it. I took Spanish in high school, have heard a lot of Spanish but this sounded totally different from what I'd heard. He said it was Spain Spanish not South America so maybe that was it. Maybe some dialect. I have never liked Spanish but this made me want to learn it. Hmmm. Anyhow, the thing I'm saying here is it was that same feeling of, this is it, this is your chance, take it or lose it. It got me moving. A lot of times I am afraid of this thought and all the things in life I am procrastinating on. So much I make excuses for, so much. And the realization of this sends me deeper into hiding but I HAVE to get out or lose the chances. This is it. Not a rehearsal, as they say. And one of those things is getting this body I want and/or close to it and I'm just going to have to stop missing these opportunities, to be the way I want to be at this age, not somewhere down the line.

OK, over to you all.

grasshopper -- thanks for wishing me well. I will explain about the work leads. Please remind me. One is interesting but a bit involved.

stormy -- great to hear you reaffirming your goals. Yes, I heard about the 24th being the most depressing day. All day long yesterday I was thinking, I have to turn this around, I have to make this NOT a depressing day. The morning was ****, riding, my teacher giving me the same old ****, had me in tears walking back to the station, trying to get a guy to go out in the evening to discuss a possible column for the paper (and way to keep my hand in). He can never find time for me. . . That was all part of why I was bummed and didn't want to go to the awards. But I DID turn it around. Anyhow, what the **** are people doing making prophecies like this anyhow?!! I t shouldn't be allowed. There is too much negativity around anyhow. Makes me mad. You are so right, self-fulfilling is what it becomes. We must resist! :mad:

Crime girl -- :bravo: to you for having the courage to tell us what the damage was. I wanted you to tell us because that's what happened to me the other week, when I had that 4-lb gain and before that, when I finally weighed myself after how many months. It was looking it in the face and telling others, owing up to reality that I think finally gave me the courage and the guts to do something about it, at least, stop the slide into oblivion. And, it's not "horrible." It just IS. That's all. You will have that weight knocked off in no time. Picture it. Feel it. See yourself resisting temptation and enjoying a walk with your dog, being tired from school and looking for a "treat" and then saying, I think I'll have some herbal tea or I think I'll just turn in early. And then see yourself stepping on that scale and having it read, not just 280, but 278! and it'll be before Valentine's Day even!

Thanks for the horoscope. Wow, even lucky numbers! Maybe I should get to the racetrack today. Thank you for writing that for me. It's like a little present in the morning. I am looking forward to it. And when I read it, because it is positive I start thinking of ways to make it happen. And when, for example, you say "take advantage of your good fortune" I think, hmm. what IS my good fortune and I come up with things that I consider my good fortune and it really sets me on a positive track for the day.

As for your remaining positive about weight loss, I think you may have hit on something with stormy's suggestion to consider this a project. You seem very project oriented, well-organized, goal-oriented with your studies and so but it looks like, as we all tend to do, the weight loss is so tied up with emotions and feelings about YOU as a person. Yes, why don't you try to take the emotion out of it, kind of look at this as something separate from you, an assignment from school, truly a project and nothing more. You would surely succeed at doing that, just something to do, just like homework. Hmm. I will try to do the same.

NBK -- good for you too for restating your goals. I will have to think of mine again! Don't try taco bell if you haven't. Fast food joints are nothing you have to give a try to! Do they have them in NZ anyhow? By the way, what does "Kia Ora!" mean?

little grasshopper 01-24-2005 06:00 PM

Hi everyone - lots of motivation today! Yeah!!! I had a LONG DAY! I'm much better now but I had a cheap glass of wine last night (and I do mean CHEAP) I shouldn't have done that....I was throwing up and getting sick from 3:30 this a.m. to 7:00 and then I was still having horrible cramps! My body REALLY doesn't like unhealthy foods anymore! I had the doctor pull my stomach down (when you eat bad foods or get really stressed out your stomach will actually "climb" up under your ribs). After he pulled it down I was fine - I had one more cramp and then it was all over. I didn't ask him to do this until 3:00 this afternoon though, dohhhh!!! At any rate here's what I've eaten today....a TON of water - trying to dilute the stuff in my liver and such.....some sunflower seeds and a few bites of pear. Some london broil and a bite of energy bar. I'm feeling pretty good now though.

Here are my goals....I have short term ones because of vacation with Grandma..

1. to walk every day I'm away
2. to eat 1-2 salads every day and have rice cereal for breakfast daily
3. to stay clear of sugar
4 to drink TONS of water
5. to stay AWAY from the scale while I'm away - these vacations are few and wonderful, I can't let scales get in the way of my happy mood.

Here are my post vacation goals...

1. To cheap on ONE food a week at most
2. To Exericse 6 days a week.
3. to attend yoga and pilates classes regularly
4. To focus on tall, lean and flexible me
5. To only get on the scale once a week - And get below 130..somewhere.

HAL123 01-24-2005 06:08 PM

Red,

Firstly Kia Ora means hello or how's it going in Maori, which is the 2nd language of NZ. I don't speak it fluently, although the small town next to mine has a really large maori population so you go to the dairy there (7/11) and hear kids talking to each other in te Reo (the maori language). But it's amazing how much of it is in every day NZ speech or slang. It's a pretty cool language actually!

Secondly, here in NZ we have pizza hut, Macca's (MCD's), KFC, Burger King, Wendy and I have seen dominoes pizzas, as well as pizza haven (aussie/nz brand) and a couple of others. we only have 2 mcd's, 1 bk, 1 kfc, 1 pizza hut and 1 pizza haven in my town, so for 40 000 people that's not too much! but then in NZ our traditional fast food is fish 'n chips! hmmm crab sticks or battered pieces of gurnard freshly fried with lemon wedges.. oh yeah... droool.. he he. but no taco bell. I suppose because we don't have a large latino/hispanic population here.

It was interesting about what you said to the guy on the train. I hate it how if you want to tell someone they look great, or ask them what they are eating/drinking or you know you notice a stranger doing something cool, you can't say anything without seeming like a total weirdo! lol.. happens to me all the time

It was interesting what you said about spanish spanish, as my father lived in spain for a few years and went back there last year. He speaks very fluent spanish. Anyway he taught me a few phrases for when I went to barcelona the year before last.. well before I went I made friends with a couple of people who speak south american spanish and they totally didn't understand me at all.. but when I was in barcelona it was sweet. i like spanish too! It's a really pretty language.

Also the whole taste sensation thing, I totally understand, That's what leads me to most of my snacking.. I try to be smart and have stuff like bubblegum/chewing gum or little boiled sweets with me.. that tends to do it, and 1 lollie is a lot less damage than an eskimo pie! (ice cream sandwich.. hmmm oh so good!!)

Well off for lunch with my boy!
Haere ra (good bye)
Tiffany

HAL123 01-24-2005 06:13 PM

LGH- great goals.. how did the doctor pull your stomach down??

little grasshopper 01-24-2005 06:24 PM

NBK - yeah, I guess that does sound wierd huh :) The doctor starts along your ribs...at the bottom of them, in the front. He goes up under there and digs in - doesn't hurt - and pulls downward, while you breath out. He does this is stages all the way around your lower ribs....then he goes right to the bottom of your sternun (breast plate) and digs in...and then drags his fingers down your stomach. It sounds awful but it's not bad. It takes a few times before the stomach with move but when it does you'll feel it girgle or you'll burp or something like that. You'll know it moved...and you feel better then too.

I had no idea there was more than one language in NZ! I'm getting so much culture on this site :)

Crime girl 01-24-2005 06:43 PM

Hello happy people!

Me again and how is everyone this wonderfully chilly evening??? (or brisk day for you red and NBK).
I just finished supper- we had grilled pork chops, brocolli, and peas. It was SOOO good. And I discovered a wonderful dessert ( I love sweets)..it is sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding and it is wonderful and low in calories. So - after I get back from my walk I am rewarding myself with some puddin'!

Red Balloon- What is barley tea? Is it hot tea or cold tea? native to Japan??
Sounds good- I love good tea especially green tea. Sorry the tea kept you up though- insomnia is the worst!
The guy was so right on the subway about spanish. My bf is Cuban-Columbian and his parents can't speak English even though they have lived in Miami for over 40 years. Even between his mom and dad the spanish is a little different. On top of that bf's sister lives in Spain and her dialetic is completely different from either parent. It is really fascinating how languages change when spoken in completely different areas. If you think about it- all languages are this way even English. I worked with a girl from England who asked me for a "rubber" her first day. After I nearly swallowed my tongue she explained "rubbers" in England are rubber bands. MAN- she made me wonder what in the heck she was talking about. I thought for sure I had heard her wrong. :lol:
You have a great attitude about getting out there and living your life. Carpe Dieum!! Viva la Red!! Good for you!
I am glad you like your horoscope- it is so much fun writing them and I try to relay my hopes for you for that day in the text. I got the lucky numbers from a friend of mine who actually believes in that stuff- she emails me the lucky numbers of the day every day. ;)

little grasshopper- Wine can be really mean some times. I am not a good wine drinker that is for sure. Sorry you were so sick- next time you drink try to take some B12 before going to bed with a big glass of water.
I have to admit I am a bit freaked about the stomach adjusting thing. Sounds damn painful! Does it really work? for any kind of stomach problem?
I like your goals and I think it is good you are going to enjoy your vacation instead of worrying every moment how it will effect your weight loss goals. Have fun! How long are you gone and when are you going anyway?

NBK- Thanks for the explanation about Kia Ora! I have added that to my mental list of new phrases and such. I , like grass, didnt know NZ has two languages. Cool fact!
I have to ask though- what is a crab stick? Sounds great because frankly crab in any form is yummy! Is this like a fast food item there?
You are lucky you don't have as many fast food restaruants. They seem to be everywhere here. I can't even go to Walmart without seeing McDonalds. On top of that I pass about 30 different fast food joints going to school. They are like the roaches of the food world- mass numbers and completely indestructible! :lol:

Okay- better go walk before it gets too late. Have a great night everyone!
I will try to pop on again before bed. Tomorrow is school day so I won't be on much tomorrow.
By the way it is now 50 degrees in Florida. YAA HOO!

stormy1 01-24-2005 07:54 PM

Hi everyone!

Glad to see that everyone is making goals. We have three weeks until Feb 14th and so that means we can lose anywhere from 1-6 pounds so hey that is something, right?

Red, you may have to start looking into decaf tea. Does the jasmine have caffeine?

GH, sounds like you tummy is better. When are you leaving for vacation? Are you driving or flying?

CG, have a good day at school Tues. Do not get too stressed! Good job with Maya!

NBK, you are better off without Taco Bell. We would all be better off without any fast food crap. How long has it taken you to lose your 17 pounds?

Well I worked out for an hour today. I did abs, legs, and cardio boot camp. I feel much better! My knee did not bother me!!! I did well eating too. I am back on track!

little grasshopper 01-24-2005 08:34 PM

Hi everyone -

CG - the stomach thing only works to pull your stomach down but if what ever is going on is a stomach thing it does help it get better faster. Also, some types of back pain are caused by the stomach being up all the time - freaky isn't it!!!! I didn't believe in it for the longest time..but it's yet another freaky thing I've seen work.....you can pull the kidneys up too :) I'm not sure of any other organs that move though :) haha!!

Stormy - I leave Thursday a.m. I'm flying but my flight is through DC so I'm hoping the weather clears by then. I'm going to Arkansas until next monday night. Really looking forward to it!! I haven't seen my brother and sister there in two years. I'm long over due for a visit.

Well guys I need to do pilates and catch up on shut eye. Talk to you later!!

Crime girl 01-24-2005 08:43 PM

Me yet again...
I just finished doing another workout with Maya- 30 minutes this time so that makes 45 minutes for the day and I ate 1400 calories today so I am so back on track. On top of that I took my dog for a 1/2 mile walk. I am feeling good! :D Why don't I exercise more often?? :?: I love the natural high..someone remind me of that would you? ;)

Little grass- I still think it is freaky about the stomach moving but I can see how getting everything in line in the body would help everything work better. I wish I could get someone to move my kidneys sometimes- I have the worst kidney problems sometimes.
I am excited about your trip- are you there for a week or do you mean 5 days? Have a great time!!!

stormy- great job!! :D Good news about your knee! Relief, huh?

Alright wanted to check in- excited about doing more exercise today then I do in a week- I hope I can keep it up because I am feeling no stress right now!

Good night everyone!

HAL123 01-24-2005 09:02 PM

OMG It's sooo hot here today! lol. Just been for lunch with the BF. I was good for the main, had corn fritters (only ate 1 1/2) with salad and a couple of prawns and ate about 5 wedges from bf's plate.. but then we had chocolate mud cake and DAMN it was good! lol I had yoghurt not cream and only really ate 2/3's of it... but still that means we won't be having a bbq for tea, just a smoked chicken salad..(BF gorged on wedges, but then he had been for 2 surfs already today!) lucky him can go for a swim now, however I am stuck in my office looking wistfully at the sea.. or at the mountain! it's beautiful today!!

CG- That rubber thing always cracks me up! he he.. Rubber also means eraser in england or here! he he he The worst one is that Fanny in NZ means your front bum..so when people on tv say get off your fanny or "it's here in my fanny pack" we get some giggles and some weird mental images! Having fanny as part of my name (if it is *******ised) is SO fun, not. Although some creative chick at intermediate (yrs 7-8, ages 10/11-12/13) school called me tiff-diddle for a while. :-)

LGH- nope that stomach thing still sounds really evil to me! ouch ouch ouch ouch... surely bouncing on a trampoline would work just as well? lol.

Yes New Zealand has two languages. We also have two cultures. 1 is Maori, they are the tangata whenua (people of the land). They are the polynesian peoples that colonised New Zealand about 400-600 years before europeans came to NZ. The second cutlure is that of the "Pakeha" or european NZ.. personally I object to being called pakeha as it means foreigner.. so I just call myself a New Zealander/Kiwi. There are no full blooded maoris left in NZ due to intermarriage and also the effect the introduction of european illnesses and to a lesser extent muskets, had on the maori population in the late 19th century, early 20th. Anyway we are such a young country, (155 yrs) my family have been here for 4 generations, but then we all have babies late, so some families that have been here for the same amount of time have had 6 generations or more! he he Anyway NZ is a really cool place and I am very lucky to live here.

With regards to my "mud cake" episode at lunch, I have decided that instead of beating myself up and feeling guilty about eating high sugar/high fat foods, which in my case leads to feeling more down and then eating poorly for the rest of the day in a "what's the point" kind of way, i'll just enjoy the "bad" foods and then make up for it by being healthy the rest of the day. As long as I find a balance it should work, and also when i am happier, I am less hungry as I don't get bored and depressed. And also I don't feel like I am denying myself anything which can lead to pig outs! I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I have noticed that in the last 3 weeks since I made certain foods mentally off limits, I have been craving and caving on them more than I had in the preceding 2 months when I was using my balance philosphy.

What do you ladies think?
Cheers
Tiffany

redballoon 01-25-2005 04:34 AM

Hi people. I am being severely tempted by the smell of licorice and the thought of it. I had it on a shelf above the washing machine and when I went there I smelled it. I think it's all bagged but I have a dog's nose. I must resist. I've already had my sweets for the day.

There has been so much posting and I want to catch up but I MUST finish proofing a manuscript.

I have had an emotional draining day. It involves a dying dog, and I don't know if she's dead yet, but in any case, she soon will be but I can't be with her. All I can say is that perhaps it was good I saw her today. I will tell you more lately, or maybe I shouldn't. Crime girl will be in tears. But I probably will. Well, probably no one will be on here anyhow before I have to turn in. I'll try to get to you later.

I have, by the way, been good with eating and I rode today so that's always good exercise and walked about an hour. I want to get to the gym early tomorrow before I go in for some work with that publisher. Not looking forward to being in an office when I really just want to stay home and care for myself but if I think of the money and that that money is going mostly to the animals I care for, then I guess I'll be ok.

One question I remember, barley tea is just that, tea made from barley. It has no caffeine and no sugar. It's mostly traditionally drunk in the summer here but you can have it hot or cold. It takes a little getting used to. I didn't like it in the beginning but now I love it. If you like green tea, you would have no problem. And I think for those who don't like green tea, it's better because it doesn't have that "grassy" taste. It's more full-bodied. Anyone want some, I can send you some if you like. Also, there is buckwheat tea, which is the same, no caffeine, no sugar, zero calories. The jasmine tea I drank was made with green tea so it had caffeine. I think regular jasmine tea is a semi-fermented black tea, like oolong but I'm not sure. I bought a ton when I was in Hong Kong but gave it away. Jasmine, in large doses, by the way is a hallucinogenic. I wonder if this is what Seals & Crofts were singing about in their song "Summer Breeze"??!!

. . . Summer breeze makes me feel fine
Blowing through the jasmine in my mind . . .

stormy1 01-25-2005 08:11 AM

Good morning!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I auctually slept 7 hours last night so I am feeling pretty refreshed right now. I plan on working out this afternoon.

NBK, if you can eat "bad" once a day and control it then that is wonderful. I know people who can do that without any problem and they are super skinny. The problem that I have is if I have a little sugar it tends to spiral out of control. I do not know if you saw my question earlier but I was just wondering how long it had taken you to lose 17 pounds.

Red, I am sorry about the dog situation. I hope maybe things turn around and then dog lives. Be sure to workout today. No excuses, right? Watch out drinking too much of that jasmine tea. I bet that is what they were thinking about.

Crime girl 01-25-2005 08:56 AM

Good morning!

Hi everyone!
Today is school day- I got lucky because my bf asked for the day off so I don't have to go to campus until 12:30 now. Normally I go early in the morning because otherwise I can't park on campus. Since bf is going to drop me off and pick me up I can stay home- do some exercise with Maya, finish my reading, have some breakfast etc. It is going to be a good day!

NBK- Don't sweat the mudcake too much. Like you were trying to say I think treats now and then are not a big deal. You can adjust your eating and cut back somewhere else to compensate. I am with stormy about the cheat day- if you can do that it is a good way to get the foods you crave and get right back on the program the next day. I am also with stormy on the fact that one day turns into 2 then 3 then...well you get the picture when I attempt to try a cheat day. Too tempting for me.
Thanks for the clarification of language and culture. I bet it is fascinating!

Red- I am so sorry about the dog- you are right though- I will probably cry when you tell us what happened but that is OK. If you need to talk- let it out. I can't blame you- that is a hard thing to carry around by yourself. So- what happened?
Also- I didn't know you have a permanent gig with a publisher. Is it a steady M-F thing or do you contract work from them? Are you finished with the paper?
Stay away from the candy!! :nono: It is evil and will tempt you. Candy has no shame! You can not trust what it is telling you which I am sure is for you to get it down and feast. Deceitful candy!!
I am glad you got a ride in and some walking- good for you! How is your horse? and what is her name??

Horoscope for the day:
Even in times of sadness there is hope and reflection. It may feel as if life has reached a crescendo, and now everything is falling apart. But there is a deep reorganization going on within your psyche now as you process events in your life . You can ride a magical wave of change, bringing you greater freedom and increased awareness. Find an acceptable way to express your buried feelings -- especially sadness -- or potential rewards can elude you.

stormy- good sleep always helps! Good job scheduling a workout. Have a wonderful day and don't get too stressed. Everything in its time, right?

Okay folks- need to go read the last few pages for school and eat some chow. My plan today is to do the routine with Maya at least once for 30 minutes. I think I am going to run up and down the stairs of one of the tall buildings at school today too. One of my fitness mags says that it is a good way to build endurance. :D

Have a delightful and insprired day today everyone!!
Remember today is: a support day and a day to look at why we want to get in shape and lose some weight. What are the short term things you hope to accomplish with weight loss? Are there things you don't do now because you feel overweight?

stormy1 01-25-2005 01:42 PM

One thing that I do not do is wear a bikini b/c of my weight. I also try not to wear shorts in public b/c I just do not like the way I look in them.

Jacque 01-25-2005 03:21 PM

Hey Ladies!!
Congrats to everyone on losses this week!!
I'm FINALLY back :D I stayed the same this week :( But I didn't exercise at all... I had a VERY long week...my best friend from high school has been in the hospital, and will probably pass on in the next week... so that's where I've been.