Old 01-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #31  

Height: 5'1"

What an excellent idea Jane about the calander. I should do something similar to that. (and put a photo of myself at my heaviest)

Well, I've dragged out all my resistant bands and have them handy for when I finally figure out my VCR to hook it up and do my tapes. (I really should buy some DVD workout videos!) But until then, it's just doing what I remember. Also plan on dragging out the exercise ball out of my closet, brush of the dust and apologize to it for neglecting it so much!

I also have some little gadget things that I can do push ups on the floor. Not sure what you call them, they're like handles.......they really help me w/the upper body portion. I start out on my knees then I work my way up to knees off the floor. Baby steps I say!

Since I'm needing to be frugal w/my money and can't just jump into a gym membership commitment (right now anyway) I'm going to make the most of what I've got here at home. One of these days I will have enough money saved up for a treadmill that I've been wanting!!

Has anyone ever tried the Gazelle? I think that's what it's called. You get on it and it's almost like you're skiing? I've seen them advertised for cheap, and I've gotten on one to just check it out, (seemed like it would benefit) but not long enough to know if it would be worth getting. Let me know if you or a friend has tried this!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 PM   #32  
GmaTo8

Marti - yay for you, getting out the exercise equipment! I did have a glider, like the Gazelle, and used it religiously when I stopped smoking. (I only gained 11 pounds when I quit, which was good, because I wasn't watching my diet at all.) The one I had wasn't as good as a Gazelle, because the handles didn't move, but it still made me work up a sweat! I placed it in front of the TV every morning and would watch LA LAW reruns, lol. I just gave it to my friend recently to use for the same reason! But I would recommend you getting one of those, Marti. The one I had folded up nicely, too, in-between workouts. One tip - if the "joints" start squeaking, spray a little Pam on them, and they'll quiet down again.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 01:22 PM   #33  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Let's see...what's going on with the weight loss? Well, I am down 1.5 lbs. Almost got that 2 pound gain off. I was hoping for more but I will take what I can get! Still drinking the two bottles of water and watching what I eat. Haven't actually started counting the points yet. Going to buy groceries hopefully tomorrow and will be making some menus before I do so. Haven't gotten much exercise in. What I have been doing is using the stairs from the main floor to the basement as a sort of stair stepper. I have been going up and down them 6 or 7 times for exercise. I am just not feeling up to par for some reason since Christmas. And it is the week before TOM so that could just be my problemo.

Marti~good for you getting all the exercise equipment out. Another good thing to do or get is a jump rope. I plan on getting one when I go shopping tomorrow. I used to have one not sure what happened to it. I haven't tried a Gazelle but it looks so similar to the elliptical I would rather got with the elliptical. it has got ot work if they are similar. That is my next piece of equipment to buy.

Jane~I actually printed out a sheet, a sort of calendar for exercise yesterday. Got it off of here. It has the full week and you write down what you do and record the time. Haven't checked out Oprahs January issue-was thinking about getting it when I go to the store. I did resubcribe to her magazine tho. I had gotten it for a year and then didn't renew, not sure why because I like her magazine. Probably because I get too many and was trying to cut back.

Anyway, on with the day.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #34  
GmaTo8

Cristi - just now saw your post... YAY for the 1.5 down! I also let my subscription to O lapse. I liked most issues, but not all, and since she spent the whole issue on one basic topic, it seemed like a waste if I didn't care for it that month. But the January one is good, imho.

Well, I'm doing fine with the food, water and exercise. My treadmill was making a funny noise today, though. Not sure what it was. Hope it's not going to quit on me, lol.

Did anyone watch Dr. Phils new weight loss team yesterday? I missed it, so I went to the web site and got caught up.

Later,
Old 01-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #35  
One day at a time

Thanks Jane! I didn't catch Dr. Phil, haven't seen his show in quite some time...think since last year over the summer time. Can't remember if Ellen is on at that time? No I think Ellen is on when Oprah is on and Dr. Phil is on at 3. Don't usually turn the tv on till 4 but boy did I miss it when it wasn't working. I found the same with O magazine...some issues I like some I don't. I hope your treadmill is fine.

I a doing fine with everything even tho I have yet to start counting point. I am watching what I eat and getting the 2 bottles of water down. Had a few more NSV-DS and I went to lunch yesterday to Red Lobster and I took three bites of salad, two bites of steak and two shrimp. Of course it probably had a lot to do with my stomach not feeling so great. Did bring it home but let DS#2 have it. Then for dinner last night and the night before I did not finish my plate again. I have been drinking a bottle of water while I cook so by the time dinner is done I don't want anything. While at Target yesterday I bought a jump rope, just a kids cheap one. Saw one that was cool but not for $14! I don't need it to tell me how many times I jumped and what ever else it was it did. I can count so this little cheap one will suffice. Hoping Monday to actually get on an exercise schedule.

That's whats up with me on the weight loss front. Hoping to see at least another 1.5 lbs gone this week. Getting back to weighing in once a week on Monday again also. Hope everyone else is doing great!
Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #36  
RosieKate

Default Down 2!

Yippee!

I didn't stay completely on Fast Track, but didn't use all the flex either. I think my point tracker turns over on Monday and I believe I've used maybe 15 flex...probably will be 20 -25 by the time it turns over. So my food plan is looking like 20 daily points plus I will allow for flex but not use them all.

I did my 180 minutes of exercise for the week and it didn't feel like much so I may strive for 200 next week.

drank all my water

Changed my WI day to Saturday, since Jan. 1 was a Saturday and that's when I started my new food plan.

Hope everybody else had had a good week also...see you in Chit chat
Old 01-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #37  
One day at a time

WTG Katy on the loss this week! You are doing an awesome job with the eating and exercise-CONGRAT'S!

I haven't been able to get much exercise in because of my foot. Really need to get to the doc about that. Hopefully next week will be a better week for me as far as exercise.

Hope everyone is doing fine with everything.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #38  

Decided to get on the scale since it's Saturday and imagine to my surprise....
I'm down 3lbs.! I'm an even 145 (that's not really even now is it?)..............now...to get pass that!

Congrats to Katy and Cristi for the weight loss! Girls, I think this year may be our year to reach our goals!! Or at least get really close to it!

Been drinking lots of water (I'm sure that's where the 3lbs come from) and I've cut down on the junk food I've been eating (sweets and christmas goodies) time for me to get serious.

I've talked to some people at work and there are lot of them who want to get in better shape (not all need to lose weight) and I asked about the membership to the gym at work...only $8 a month!! Can't beat that now can I? Plus, there are some co-workers who would join me in working out.
So.....we are trying to get creative and find a way to make some kind of challenge (not against each other, just for ourselves) to keep us motivated.

I'm excited and ready to check out their gym!

I'll keep you all posted on how that goes.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #39  
One day at a time

Geez Marti $8?! You definitely can't beat that price anywhere and you have people to go with you-that is so cool! I think my biggest problem in joining a gym is not having a work-out partner. I would enjoy going but feel so weird going alone. CONGRAT'S on the loss! WOW-3 lbs.! That is GREAT! And I think you are right-I think this IS going to be our year!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:56 AM   #40  

Cristi--I know, $8 is hard to beat! I was shocked myself, I mean, I knew it was cheaper than a gym everywhere else but $8? So I'm going to pull my butt out of the rutt it's in and join.
I'm also like you, working out alone feels weird to me. At home it's different....but at the gym....So I was very happy to hear that other people wanted to get serious about their health too. Really has my motivation going. (to keep it going is going to be the challenge)

Also, since I've come down w/this cold, I've been drinking tons of water to keep my fluids in and in hopes that I'll feel better soon, so I'm thinking that's how the 3lbs. magically disappeared. It's ok though....I'll take it!

2005......we're here to conquer!!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #41  
GmaTo8

Cristi - YAY for your NSVs!! Everything adds up to success! How's it going with the jump rope? My knees haven't hurt since I dropped about 40 or so pounds, but I think jumping rope would kill them, lol. And I know I'd have to restrain my boobs, lol. Good luck with weigh in tomorrow.

Katy - could you adjust the points tracker to begin again on your weigh in day? Then you could remember it easier. Are you doing mostly Core? How was weigh in yesterday? I know it must have been good! You are doing just wonderful with the water and exercise, too!

Marti - YAY for you losing the 3 pounds!! OMG, a gym membership for 8 bucks a month is a steal! And working out with coworkers would be fun, I think. You get along so well with others, and have good ideas for personal challenges.

Pam - you haven't posted here for awhile... are you still with us? Hope so!

Well, I told you my treadmill was sounding funny. Unfortunately, it crashed yesterday. Neal got to where the guts are, and did some stuff to it, but said the motor is shot, he's almost certain. We bought that on Father's Day, June 20th, and I don't think it should have quit already! It came from Walmart, but wasn't nearly the cheapest one they had. But of course, it's no longer under warranty. With the expenses we've got coming up, we're not going to invest in another one quite yet. I've got some videos I can use in the meantime.

I've been holding steady within the same 2-3 pound range in maintenance. It will be up one day, and back down the next, lol. I still write down everything I eat every day, and am afraid to start tracking it in my head. I think that's where some maintainers get lost.

I love having this thread to come to for encouragement, don't you?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #42  
RosieKate

This thread is GREAT for encouragement - thanks for starting it, Jane! Sorry about your treadmill...if you are thinking about getting another one, I'd like to give a little plug for GIJOES online. Their prices are comparable to Walmart and they have much better quality and a MUCH better return policy. My only Walmart purchase was a really bad exerience...so I wouldn't ever buy a piece of equipment from them again...I'm sure you are checking out Epinions as I speak so I know you'll get a good replacement....

I do plan on changing my renew date on my points tracker, just haven't gotten around to it yet, but thanks for reminding me Jane....Check out my siggy.. I lost 2 pounds Wahoo

Marti - $8 a month for a gym where you work..what are you waiting for? What a geat opportunity.. what a smart employer.....Congrats on your 3 lbs...it's amazing what a little water can do.....

Cristi - I like the jump rope idea..in fact I have one in the playroom along with all my other exercise stuff. Just never thought it was meant for MOI....I'll have to be careful not to smack my kids.

I kind of went OFF-P last night, but back on track today...am journalling everything meticulously which seems to help. I'm incorporating a Zone bar (4 pts) here and there for meal replacement. Doesn't work so well for breakfast, which I think started me on my downward spiral yesterday. I need something more substantial in the a.m. I have found that it works well for a lunch meal replacement if I follow up with a 2 point snack around 2 or 3 pm. Along with a 5 point breakfast, that puts me at 11 points heading into dinner, which is a meal that mysteriously gets larger on me - don't know how THAT happens - hee hee

I am going to make some split pea soup today and some more refrigerator bran muffins so I will have some healthy options around. The refrig bran mufin recipe is a family recipe for lo-fat bran muffin batter. You make a huge batch of batter (4 dozen)and it keeps in the fridge for up to 6 weeks, you just bake up a dozen at a time. They are so yummy!I can post the recipe if anyone is interested...
Have a great day everyone
K
Old 01-09-2005, 11:45 AM   #43  
PamPSM644

Still here and have great news. I've lost another 10lbs. That makes 70 total. I started at 280. I am so proud of myself it's embarassing. I'll start bragging to complete strangers in the grocery line. I wasn't as strict with myself around x-mas and New Years and was greatful I hadn't gained anything. I didn't weigh last week because I worried and thought I'd get discouraged. I love my diet,it works and the scale and lose clothing is such a motivation.I still have 60 to go so when I make it it'll be like losing a whole other person, I won't be missing her at all.
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #44  
One day at a time

Thumbs up

WOW! CONGRAT'S Pam on the 10 pound loss! Nothing wrong with bragging at all missy. Keep up the good work!

Katy~I would love to have the recipe. I know they say breakfast is or should be the biggest meal of the day but for the longest time I never ate breakfast. That is where I went wrong because then I would be starving later-not good. So a muffin and maybe a piece of fruit is a good breakfast for me.

Jane~good job maintaining! Sorry to hear your treadmill pooped out on ya. We also got ours from Wal-Mart a little over a year ago and have had three of us using it-so far, so good. I have always loved to jump rope-it is actually fine. I have been going out in the garage to do it on the concrete. Kind of hard to do on the carpet.

Marti~like you I will take the loss anyway it comes! Yeah, I too don't have a problem at home or walking around the neighborhood myself-don't feel I need a partner. Just the times I have joined a gym when I went there was nothing but skinny people and that is what made me feel weird. So I was trying to hide in the back.

I agree that this is a great place for encouragement. I am rooting for all of us that this will be our year!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 AM   #45  

Well lets see...what did I do today (yesterday) that I think helped in my new look on eating healthier????

Not much.

For breakfast I had french toast and bacon. (good...but not healthy good)

Lunch was a turkey sandwhich w/a little bit of chips. And the same for dinner. Drank 3-20oz bottles of water....not a lot of water.

Hmmm.....may have gained back those 3lbs.!!!

Tomorrow (today) I will be checking out how to join the gym at work. I'm not sure if I need to do it in person or if I can just get on the company intranet and sign up there. Which ever it is, I will be joining. Must make an effort to get more active.

I want to see the 130's again!!

My first goal is to at least lose close to 10lbs by summer. Plenty of time right? I hope so. It's going to take a real committment from me to make this happen.