Old 01-30-2005, 06:46 AM   #61  

Barb, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! Not eating OP is the way I like to celebrate special occasions. Good for you!

Alice
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 12:49 PM   #62  
Citizen of the World

Saying "Hi " to all of you from Santa Fe, NM. We're here just for a few days. It was lovely yesterday--sunny and 45 --but snowing today. We just got the idea of Santa Fe in our heads and had to travel in the winter. We were just looking for a place to get away. We knew snow/rain was predicted befor leaving home but came anyway.

KATE--Yes, I've noticed how older people don't eat very much--my parents included. Cant say that my mom has lost much wt lately tho even tho she eats quite a small amount. I'm looking forward to the day when I can eat ice cream for b'fast and pizza for lunch and dinner but............by the time I get to "that age" I prob will either forget about my longings or won't want either ice cream or pizza. Such is life!

BARB--You're doing so well with losing now. What's keeping you going? Congrats on 39 years!!
Siwaoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 AM   #63  

Good morning!
It was a beautiful drive to work today. The trees all had a frost on their branches and were white and sparkly. It looked like a fairyland with the sun shining on them. Yes, the sun is out for a change - what a delight!

Barb: Congratulations on your 39th anniversary! You have to be able to indulge once in a while and what better reason than that. I just noticed you set a goal for Detroit. When are you going there? I hope it's when it gets warmer

Siwa: I've always wanted to go to Santa Fe. We almost made it there when we were out in Colorado once. I love sterling silver jewelry and bet you see a lot of it down there. What places are you visiting there? Is your son living at home? Who's watching the house and cats? Have a great trip!

Candice: I'm wondering if you've gone to see your mother. You haven't posted in quite a while. I hope things are okay with you.

Alice: Made a trip to the library over the weekend and picked up 3 books so that should hold me for a few days Have you read any of Nora Roberts futuristic books? No weight loss this week Boy, is this a slow process even with all the exercise. I had hoped to be down another 2# by 2/1.

Today is our oldest son's 30th birthday. I can't believe it. I don't feel like I should have a 30 yr. old....at least not on most days!

Hi Elaina, wonder if you're back from New Orleans yet. Hi Bernice and Ann!
Take care all.

Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:24 AM   #64  
Citizen of the World

KATE--There's so muc to do and see here that we'll barely touch the surface. We went to the Georgia O"Keefe museum and another local one our first day here since it was just a partial day. Then we drove north into G O"Keefe land and saw the scenery that she painted---and spectacular it was! Continued north a bit and thru a mt pass. Luckily the roads were totally clear but there was lots of snow on the trees and land--quite beautiful. Passes thru Taos which I found disappointingly ugly. Stopped for dinner ina NY Times acclaimed Mexican restaurant where we dined on very good food. It snowed overnite as we expected so drove south to Albuquerque and environs. I just love the architecture--everything looks adobe. It makes finding a bldg a little difficult cuz they all look alike to me---but I like the look. We toured a new house in a new development and it was gorgeous. So totally unlike anything in the MN area. Then we went to an estate sale and saw an old adobe style house. It was quite similar to the new one in design. I'm totally enchanted with NM and esp the architecture. DH is VERY into atomic history and this is the area for visiting related places so we went to an Atomic museum. I saw that museum at a much quicker pace than DH and then went to the car and read for a while. Today we're scheduled to go to Los Alamos and more atomic history. Always have reading materiel w/me for times like this. Haven't gone into any silver shops yet but there are MANY.

DS moved away (again) just after Christmas. He quit his job w/a promising future to move in w/a friend (of questionable characture) in a small town north of Minneapolis. He's now a cook at a Perkins restaurant. It's a chain around our parts--don't know if it's outside the MW. He still doesn't know what he want to do w/his life and I expressed my concern that this new job would not further his entry into adult life and future employment. His friend has NO ambition but to work hosting at this same restaurant. DS admits he's more ambitious than friend but this is what he wants to do for now.

A friend is sitting with the house and cats. She's very reliable.

Sorry to hear that there was no wt loss for you this week. I know the feeling only too well. I doubt I'm on a losing streak while in NM and am prob gaining since I'm eating more than at home. I plan to go the salad route as soon as I get home. I don't want my hard work to have been for nothing. I hate the fact that this is a lifelong struggle.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 AM   #65  

Hi everyone,

Siwa, we have Perkins Rest. down here in FL. As matter of fact it's a pretty big chain here also. I've seen quite a few in the southeastern states too as we were traveling up and down the highway. Your son will find his way I'm sure. NM sounds really nice. I have a friend who lives a little south of Alburquerque. But, I'm sorry to say I've never visited her in NM. Continued enjoyment of your trip.

Kate, yes, I have read Nora Roberts futuristic series that she writes as JD Robb. When I read the first book it took me a while to get used to it. But, by the time I finished it I really liked it and I've read all but the newest one. Is this the first book you've gotten in that series? I didn't lose any weight last week either, so you can count me in too. Hopefully I'll show a loss this week.

Hi Anne, Bernice, Barb, Candice, Elaina

Alice
Old 01-31-2005, 04:16 PM   #66  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone: Can't believe how the time flies by. We have been doing the round of Dr. appointments again, but things are looking up. Dh is being cut down on his iron treatments, and I can start Curves this week.

Barb: Congrats on your anniversary. And we do have to celebrate on special occaisions. But then it is back 'on the wagon' again.

And I hate to tell all you younguns' that the struggle doesn't go away as you get older. You know I'm the old granny of the bunch, and I still struggle. I'm trying to remember just how I felt after my surgery, when I just couldn't eat as much, so I will stop before I over do it. I have gained 2 lbs since feeling better, and I don't want to gain back all I lost.

Chorus is coming along well. Having a good time.

Siwa: your Santa Fe trip sounds like fun. I've been sitting here trying to think of the authors name who writes so many books about that area, and of course am drawing a blank. He writes about the Indian culture, and there is a police officer Sgt. Joe Leaphorn, Tribal police, who appears in all the stories. Mysteries, of course. Then there is another series, different author, about a woman sheriff, and her territory is part of New Mexico. I'll think of them eventually, and post the names. Just in cvanse anyone might be interested. I really like them. Of course I am a fan of mysteries/who-done-its.

Kate: I haven't read the J.D. Robb books. Right now I am reading one by Fern Michaels. It is quite good.

Hope everything is going well for you all, and that the struggle is worth it, reflected in lost lbs. I'll be checking back. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #67  
Citizen of the World

And.............all too soon the NM journey has come to an end. We will certainly return when we have more time. I'm taking an Italian class again and I didn't feel that I could miss class #2 and keep up so that's why we had such a short trip. Had a salad for dinner as planned. I'm not even going to weigh myself for a few days cuz I don't want confirmation of the bad news. Just want to get back in the diet mode and get on w/losing again.

The temp here is quite the same as Santa Fe but there's more snow here and it's the same old scenery so not as interesting.

ANN--Glad to hear that your health continues to improve.

For all of you who have friends/relatives in NM or just have NM on your list of places to visit----YES! Go and Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #68  
Member Florida Chick

Hi: I remembered one author - J.A. Jance and the woman sheriff is Joanna Brady. I will remember the other one eventually. I just don't happen to have any of his books here right now. A rainy night, but we can use the rain. With all our sandy soil water just runs away quickly. Am watching the State of the Union Address. I do like our President. Better stop for now. 'See' you later. Ann
Old 02-04-2005, 04:15 AM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katey
Candice: I'm wondering if you've gone to see your mother. You haven't posted in quite a while. I hope things are okay with you.
Kate
I'm sorry ....... I thought I posted before I left.....I got a call that mom had passed away on Jan. 21 and have been there and back. We are glad she did not have to suffer anymore and had a quiet private service for her, she requested that years ago since she did not like going to funerals. I am doing ok, just worn out and sad I will post more later..just wanted to check in.

Last edited by Candicej; 02-04-2005 at 04:20 AM.
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 AM   #70  

Candace, My deepest sympathy to you and your family. It's hard when you lose a parent. Glad that you're doing ok. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Take care,
Alice
Old 02-04-2005, 11:17 AM   #71  

Candice: I'm so very sorry about your mother. No matter how old you are it's very hard to lose a parent. You take care of yourself. We're all here for you so if you need to "talk" just let us know. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Ann: Haven't read anything by Jance. I'm just finishing up a book about Alaska. It's fiction, but sort of historical. Took me a while to get into the author's style of writing, but now I'm hooked and can't wait to find out how it ends. Glad that you're able to get back to Curves.

Siwa: Your Santa Fe trip sounded wonderful. It's definitely on my list of places to go. We have Perkins restaurants around here too. Children get to an age where they have to find out for themselves what's important and sometimes it's the hard way. Hang in there.

Alice: Another week of no weight loss. This is horrible Can't figure it out. I've doubled my weekly exercise time and I've cut back on my eating. I'm going to hang in there, but it can be discouraging. Hope you had a good week.

Hi Barb and Bernice....where are you?

Another round of tests for me. I went to the eye doctor yesterday and he thinks that I may have the start of glaucoma. I have to go in for the definitive tests in a couple weeks. Can't make an appt. yet because their computers will be down for a few days. Computers are nice, but sometimes it seems like we rely on them too much! I know this is something that can be treated, but gosh it's been one thing after another. Just keeps reminding me that my body is getting old

Take care all.

Kate
Katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #72  

Kate, so sorry to hear that you may have the start of glaucoma. It really sucks getting older. It seems like everything goes at once. Good luck to you with your tests. I know this does sound crazy, but the reason you're not losing weight could possibly be because you're not eating enough, especially if you've doubled your weekly exercise time and cut back on your food. When I was going to WW, our leader pointed out that we had to eat our activity points. Otherwise, our bodies will hold onto the weight in self defense. Well, I never ate my activity points and I often wondered if that was why I was having such a hard time losing weight at the time. Try eating a bit more and see if it helps.

Hi everyone!

Alice
Old 02-04-2005, 06:33 PM   #73  
Citizen of the World

CANDICE--So sorry to hear about yur mother. I sounds like you're doing really well though. It's a hard thing to accept even when expected. Take all the rest you need.

We reached 50+ degrees today--set a new record. I was hoping for an easy winter this year since we were staying put and my wish has been granted. The grass is showing again after our 8" snowfall a couple weeks ago. And it's supposed to be warm again tomorrow.

I also doubled my exercise and expected great results but didn't see them. I continue to lose but at a slow rate. Alice is right about not eating enuf. I've heard women say they began losing again after adding 100-200 more calories per day. Seems a bit strange but that's the way it works.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:37 PM   #74  
Member Florida Chick

Candice: I'm so sorry about the loss of your Mother. It does make one think about good times past, and all the nice memories. Mothers and daughters usually share so much together. So glad that she is in a better place. I remember when my MIL died, we suddenly came to the realization that now, we are the 'older generation'.

Kate: The good thing about the possibility of glaucoma, is that with eye drops it can be controlled very well, and if this is only the possibility of a beginning, the drops can keep it from going further. Let's hope that might be the case for you.

You gals are feeling 'old' but you have a ways to go yet before you truly qualify for that title. I don't even think that joining AARP at 50 or 55 whichever is their age requirement, counts as 'old'. And just remember, you can still be young in heart and spirit even when you are up in the 80's. I have some friends like that and that is my goal to keep the pizazz in our lives.

Hope you all have a good weekend, and may your team win the Superbowl. Ann