Old 11-19-2004, 10:31 PM   #1  

Wink Steel Magnolias -- #47

Good Evening, Flowers!
I will chat with you while I wait for a load of clothes in the dryer; I want to catch them before they are too dry so have the timer set.

It's been another rainy-gloomy day in my corner of the world. Lots of kids were gone today -- all state misicians, college visits, tech. school visists, etc. I was on the run the same as any other day -- I've had a kid coming in before school for help with algebra and also have him in a study hall later in the day. I'm beginning to feel like we are joined at the hip! I tried to get him to go to the algebra teacher but he said he liked me best. Lucky me! Hah! He really slows me down on the things I try to do to get ready for the day though.

"Gma" -- It sounds like you and T had a good time yesterday! I think you are just a kid at heart! Our school doors are wide open and there are 9 outside doors that I can think of off hand. Someone could come in the back side of the school and no one would ever see them until it was too late. They've talked about locking some of the doors but the newer doors have different locks and not all the teachers come and go from the same side of the building -- we have high school parking on 3 sides and a junior college is connected on the 4th side so some of our students also park there. So far we don't have to wear ID tags but I know some schools are requiring that both teachers and students do so. Not a bad idea -- every once in awhile we'll get a notice that "so and so" shouldn't be in the building and if we see them we should contact the office. Most of the time I have no clue who the kid is so wouldn't know him if I saw him.

We are leaving fairly early tomorrow morning. I want to do some Christmas shopping before Ian's party in the afternoon. I have a list and hope I can get some of the things crossed off. At lunch today someone said there is only 38 days until Christmas! YIKES!

My timer is beeping so better go. I hope you all have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-19-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:23 PM   #2  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
This weekend sure flew by fast! I made a list of stores that I wanted to go to yesterday; we started at Target and found what I wanted there then headed for the mall. I wanted to go to Penneys and another department store plus Toys R Us across the street. We were running into a time crunch and everyone else in a 100 mile radius had the same idea of shopping on a nice day! I sent DH to Toys and had him drop me off at Penneys on his way. He suggested I take the cell phone and call him when I was done. Penneys was such a zoo I gave up trying to go out into the mall to the other store. I wanted gift receipts and the clerk had to run each receipt separately. I was afraid my credit card was going to go "tilt" thinking that it was stolen and someone else was going on a shopping spree. It didn't and I was so glad! Meanwhile DH was parked in an outside drive-up phone spot watching people argue over who was going to get a parking spot. He said people were waving fists and yelling. We were glad to get out of there and decided our return trip will not be on a weekend!

The birthday party was a huge success although the 3 little ones all got sick during the night. I don't know if it was the party excitement or the flu bug. I'm glad they were all home with their parents!

After church DH finished tearing out the remainder of the carpet and carpet strips in the livingroom/tv area. I had to pack all of the glass items in the curio cabinet plus all of the knick knacks on end tables. I'm thinking it might be easier to just move to a different house! I am stiff and sore tonight since I'm not used to picking up 20 and 30# kids nor bending and stooping to pack boxes.

I hope you all had a nice weekend and have a marvelous Monday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:49 PM   #3  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am waiting for the dishwasher to finish so I can close down the kitchen for the night. Tonight was WW and I lost .6# -- I have been yoyoing with the same 5# for much too long and I need to get a serious effort going.

We had no heat at school today and it wasn't too bad until afternoon. The sun was out but there was a north wind which made the north rooms darned right cold. Of course we had kids show up in shorts, t-shirts, and some girls even had flipflops/sandals on their feet! I dressed in multiple layers and kept warm until I had to sit in a smooth plastic chair and they are cold even when the heat is on. I took my coat along so had another layer between me and the chair. The custodian told me that the repairmen were going to stay until they got it fixed. The only problem is that it is supposed to get down to 14 degrees tonight and it takes 24 hours to warm the building after there's been no heat for 36 hours. I'm hoping they got it fixed sooner rather than later! Actually we kind of hoped we wouldn't have school at all but no such luck.

DH got word this morning that his mom was in a car accident last night. She plays bridge with another couple and a widower that she and FIL used to play golf with. Anyhow, he turned left in front of another car and MIL got the brunt of the accident. She's in ICU with broken ribs, a bruised liver, and lots of pain that morphine doesn't touch. They were going to try some sort of pain block to see if that would help. DH is calling his brother tonight so we will know more then.

It is much too quiet here in the flower patch! Not much else is newsy from my corner of the world. Have a wonderful Wednesday and do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 11-23-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:53 PM   #4  

Smile

Just peeking in to say "Happy Thanksgiving" and I hope your day will be a special one shared with friends and/or family.

I need to get busy and put my salad together for tomorrow, vacuum up some fur hunks, and declutter the kitchen counters . . . . . again.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-27-2004, 12:41 AM   #5  

Smile

Just checking in to see if anyone has posted.

It is raining here tonight and it is supposed to turn to snow before morning.

MIL is out of ICU but the ICU nurses are still taking care of her. They have her immobilized so she can't do much on her own; it's hard to breathe because of the bruised lung and rib situation. She also has a broken collar bone, right arm and leg are very sore, etc. According to DH's sister, she will be there for quite some time and then will be in rehab.

Hope all is well with all of you!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #6  

Morning ladies. Don't have much gab time. We just got back last night and my house looks like terrorists have bombed it! We had birthday and Christmas with them so I have gifts all over the place along with gifts I brought home from them for T, dd and sil. We have a fabulous time, but it is always good to get back home. My kitty missed me terribly though and that always upsets me.

Jean: So sorry to hear about mil. Hope she gets to feeling better real soon.

I will pop in again when the army has been in and taken back control of the house!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #7  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
BRRRR! It's a cold and windy 26 degrees as I type tonight. The weatherbug says it is supposed to get down to 12 during the night. Most of our snow is gone again which is good. DH is going to be gone tomorrow and Wednesday, for a meeting;I sure hope it doesn't snow enough to shovel while he is gone. He keeps telling me I need to learn how to run the snow blower and that doesn't excite me at all!

DH's sister called tonight and it seems that "someone" has lost MIL's glasses in the process of changing her bed linens and cleaning her room. Not being able to see on top of hurting every time she moves, has got to be frustrating for her! His Pain-in-the-bu** cousin, from Omaha, had called DH's sister and said she was going to come down for a "visit." DH's sister can hardly take care of herself let alone entertain company! Relatives!

"Gma" -- It's good to see you again! I'm glad you had a good time while you were gone! It got pretty lonely around here while you were away! It will take MIL a very long time to get back to what she was before the accident, if that is even possible; it hurts her to breathe let alone do anything else. They want her to move as little as possible so that the muscles and tissues will not be irritated any more than necessary. The bruising is beginning to fade so at least she doesn't look like she has been in a fight according to DH's brother.

I need to do some ironing for DH so better get a mov on. I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-30-2004, 01:32 AM   #8  
Thin Within

Default Monday Evening

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

WOW I got in and it is bed time. I just thought I would give it a go before turning off my computer. Surprised me!

We have been on a quest. Since we fired the TV Dish folks and don't watch TV anymore but just movies occasionaly ~ our DVD player took a dump. Some of the movies are in a skinny strip and we want them to be full screen to view them when they haven't been reformated. Anyway in the past two days we have bought 4 ~ yes that is right 4 DVD players. The first three were unsatisfactory. One of them didn't even have the "zoom" feature. Two others had the zoom information staying on the screen. One in the upper left corner in orange letters and the other in white letters in the middle of the screen. Both companies when called said "We want you to know when you have the zoom feature turned on." DUH are there that many dumb people out there that they need to keep that writing on the screen for ever. Guess so. The 4th one we brought home just has the information on a second or two and then goes off. However the zoom only lasts about 5 minutes and we do have to keep zooming it to see the movie. That is the best we could find.

JEAN that is too bad about your mother-in-law. Hopefully she does a complete recovery. How much time do you get off school for Christmas vacation? I like this time of year.

FAYE sounds like you had a wonderful time. Everything will be back and ship shape in no time knowing you! When we are gone for a few days Turn likes to turn a cold shoulder on us when we come home. Little snooty for awhile then we can't sit down without him ingratiating himself on us. Won't leave us alone. As it is he follows me from room to room ~ well walks in front of me guessing which room it is I will go into. Then he plops himself down across the doorway for a snooze. He is my puppy.

Hopefully I will be typing at you soon.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-30-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:11 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies. Have a few minutes while waiting for grandson to get here. Mom has a dental appt this am so I am anxious to see him.

We did have a great time, but as usual my brother and sil were a royal pain in the behind. I think I told you I dreaded them coming here and they changed their minds to stay in Chicago then came to Indiana for Thanksgiving. Well, they were repeatedly told not to bring the dog as the apartment complex we rented the community building from has a no pet policy so here they come with this huge lab and haul it and its cage right into the hall. We were all livid and my dh almost went and told them off about it because my sister who rented the hall told them 3 times they could not bring it onto the property except in their van. Sil was totally anti-social, setting up a table over against the wall for a puzzle then sat there with her back to us the whole time except to play Taboo with a group of us only to get up and walk off because she didn't like waiting her turn it was "boring." Uh, no she is not a teenager, but in her forties for heaven's sake! She had the audacity to ream out one of my grown nephews because he actually tried to help with trash saying, "Well, it's too bad you couldn't just do this without being asked." BUT.... she never lifted a finger to help clean up in any way and my horses behind brother was ASKED to help take down tables and sat there like some fat buddha and told his 9 year old and 11 year old daughters to take them down! He is my brother and that bond isn't broken, but I can hardly stand to be around him as he is such a blowhard! They got mad and stormed out when everyone went home at 6 pm instead of staying there most of the night. See, we usually have it at someone's home and they plant their butts and stay until like midnight and no one can go to bed etc but this time had to leave with the rest of us! lol On top of that, they just let their three kids run rampant because they see it as free babysitting. Their son, who is well on his way to being obese like his father (who weighs 500 lbs and refuses to do anything about it) had 6 desserts and is only 9! It was because we had everything set up buffet style and he just pigged out. He ate two plates of food and then all the desserts. I got mad because he had a broken nose from not wearing his seat belt and being thrown from the 3rd seat in their van into the dash board when she slammed on her brakes. She tried to tell me, "Caleb didn't quite get it latched tight." and he himself had told at least 3 people he didn't even put it on. I looked her dead in the eye and said, "Caleb said he never even put it on. You know, Kelly doesn't trust Thomas to put it on, she always checks to see it is on and latched." I then walked away and let her fume about it! The kid had two black eyes and a broken nose for gosh sakes! So, we like everyone else, have our own little family pains!

Jean: You poor mil, how awful to have such pain and then not be able to see and then have people visiting who can only be more upsetting to her.

Maggie: Good to see you being able to get in. Butterscotch is a very clingy cat anyway. I think because he was abandoned and I really babied him when he was a kitten so he likes to be held and babied over and missed us. He is better but the last two nights has gotten onto the bed and headbutted my hand until I laid and petted him repeatedly and cooed to him!

Well, T should be here anytime. It is pouring rain and supposed to keep it up all day so we stay indoors and play today!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 AM   #10  
Web Nana

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Wow! It is the last of November and only one month to go this year....the older you get the faster time seems to go by!!!! I do feel old...DD#1 is 46 today and I think that's what does it.

MAGGIE: How nice to see you again. That's some problem you had with the DVD player. Some times those new fangled electronics can take time to learn how to run. We got a DVD last year for Christmas and DD#2's husband came to install it. We still have the VCR and wanted to be able watch the old movies we have as well as the DVD so he installed a diverter which we can change from 1--VCR to 2--DVD but we also have to remember to change the TV to TVVIDEO when ever we want to watch the DVD. It took a while to remember it all.

JEAN: So sorry to hear of you MIL's accident. She must really be hurting and that is not pleasant. It may take some time but, with time, she will get to a point where she will not hurt so much. Losing her glasses on top of everything else must be tough. We will keep her in our prayers for a return to normal.

FAYE: I am glad you were able to enjoy yourselves on Thanksgiving despite the annoyances of some of your relatives. We all have someone like that.
Hope you have a great day today with T

Gloria in MA.....got to get out and finish the outside lights today as we have rain in the future for tomorrow. The rest of the decorations did not take as long as usual and we only have the outside to finish. Then it is cards, wrapping and mailing some. Maybe I can still relax before the holiday.

Last edited by nanacas; 11-30-2004 at 08:36 AM.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Arrow It's TUESDAY

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

The sun is shining and doesn't look like rain this day. We are going down the mountain when I wake up and finish my coffee that is here with me. Got to go see the insurance man. We are giving our old van away and have to get the proper paperwork going. I plan on getting my little village houses all ready and set up in their holiday lights today. I leave the building out year round but take away the Christmas decorations. I love this time of year.

FAYE your brother and SIL sound to me like they could use an attitude adjustment. It is good that you can go on and have a good time and rather ignore their bad behavior. Keep smiling.

GLORIA It seems like the new things they are making aren't necessarly better. If they had just still made one like our old model we would have paid double for it. Too much stuff on a piece of equipment doesn't make it better.

JEAN have someone at that hospital look in all the cupboards and drawers for those glasses. The folks that come in and clean do stash stuff so they can make their cleaning go easier. Our friend in the hospital was missing his electric razor and no one knew were it went. It was found in his cupboard and they discovered the cleaning lady had put it there. Just a suggestion.

Hey, everyone have a wonderful day ~ this last day of November. Be back when I can.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #12  

Talking

Good Evening Flowers!
Last day of November . . . seems like I just said it was the last day of October! Time is flying by and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels!

Today was one of those days where I'd get one pile off my desk and another one would appear out of nowhere! Kids acted like they had no clue and needed extra "help" doing assignments. What they were really looking for was answers and not help to work the problems or questions through themselves.

I have bell practice which will mess up my week mentally since we usually practice on Wed. night. DH is out of town until tomorrow night so I will be home alone tonight. I usually stay up later so I am tired enough to fall asleep -- I never sleep very well the first night he is gone.

Maggie -- How nice to see you! It sounds like you are having quite a time with DVD players! We have one that the kids gave us . . . why I don't know because we never indicated that we wanted one. I think we've used it twice and once was when the grandkids were here and brought a cartoon with them. We would definitely miss our cable access though! We get 7 school days off for Christmas -- the 20th, 21st, and 22nd are semester test days so it will be pretty quiet around the school since most of the students will have open campus if they don't have an exam scheduled. We go back for a work day on the 3rd and students come back the 4th. Supposedly "everyone" looked high and low for MIL's glasses and they were nowhere to be found.

"Gma" -- It sounds like your brother and sil could use a course in human relations! I feel sorry for their kids if they are overweight now as it won't get any better. That is really sad. It's a good thing we can choose our friends since we can't choose our relatives. I think every family has at least one member they'd rather not claim!

Gloria -- I wish I had my decorating done! I'm not getting anything out until after the floor is put in. I have a feeling it is going to take longer to put things back than it does to move/put them away. I'd like to do something different outside but am leary since we had a Santa stolen several years ago. We may just do the usual stringing of lights around the support pole and along the front window. The tree has gotten too big to reach the top with lights although DH talked about stringing lights around the lower branches.

I need to get moving! Have a relaxing evening and a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:26 PM   #13  

Smile

Happy Wednesday, Flowers!
Only 24 days until Christmas with so much to do and so little time. *sigh* You'd think after all these years and knowing that the holidays get so busy, I would plan ahead a little better! I did buy my Christmas stamps today so that is a start.

We had demonstration speeches today at school. Three of the students told how to make apple pie, peanut butter rice krispie bars, and egg rolls. They all brought samples for us to taste so I'm not a bit hungry for supper yet. DH isn't home and I'm not sure if he will eat before he gets home or not, sometimes they do stop along the way.

Not much is newsy from my corner of the world but I wanted to check in with you all. It was a "warm" 42 degrees and sunny today -- almost felt like spring should be right around the corner. I wish!

Have a relaxing evening and a terrific Thursday! The weekend is in sight!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 PM   #14  
Future Size 10

Hello,

I hate to barge into y'all's thread with my first post, but could someone tell me what the Steel Magnolias are all about? I've looked for information in the "Steel Magnolias of 2004" post, but didn't see many details. (I admit I didn't read the whole thing; I'm sorry!) The thread name caught my eye because I grew up in the South.

Thanks!
Lady Iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:12 PM   #15  

Hi Lady Iris and Welcome!
Maggie can give you a better history as to the name but she has been having trouble getting into the 3FC site for some time. She lived in TN for awhile and liked the flower so named the thread after the flower. We are a very small group and all have challenges in the weight area of our lives.

I live in Iowa with my DH. We have two grown children and two grandchildren with two more babies due in the spring. I work with special ed. students in our local high school.

You are most welcome to join us -- post often so that you may get to know us better and we can get to know you!

Jean -- in Iowa!